HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT:Dallas Stars visit the Edmonton Oilers, Jan.20/04

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 06:26 PM
The Rage

vCash: 500
GDT:Dallas Stars visit the Edmonton Oilers, Jan.20/04

I know this is a little early, but it has always been my dream to have my first game day thread be my 1000th post (so forgive me mods). I just wanted 1000 to be a big deal, and what bigger deal is there than playing DALLAS!!!! Does anyone else agree that the Stars are more our rivals now than Calgary? Well, the lopsided battle between the two (we still have that one year!) continues on tuesday night at the drug den. Both teams have fallen from grace, but I think it would be a huge boost for the Oilers if they beat the Stars. Salo will be playing on two days rest and should be ready to continue his fine play. I have no idea what the score is going to be, but I perdict that Tommy will come up large and the Oilers win with the winning goal by Jani Rita!

Old
01-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I know this is a little early, but it has always been my dream to have my first game day thread be my 1000th post (so forgive me mods). I just wanted 1000 to be a big deal, and what bigger deal is there than playing DALLAS!!!! Does anyone else agree that the Stars are more our rivals now than Calgary? Well, the lopsided battle between the two (we still have that one year!) continues on tuesday night at the drug den. Both teams have fallen from grace, but I think it would be a huge boost for the Oilers if they beat the Stars. Salo will be playing on two days rest and should be ready to continue his fine play. I have no idea what the score is going to be, but I perdict that Tommy will come up large and the Oilers win with the winning goal by Jani Rita!
Congratulations...I certainly won't hold it against you.

To be honest, I don't think Dallas is as much a rival as it used to be...too many guys from both teams have moved on to different pastures. It'll be a good game though, or at least I hope so.

The Oilers had better show up in the 1st for this one, no more getting outshot 3 to 1.

Old
01-18-2004, 10:40 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

This will be a huge game for the Oilers against the team that is three points ahead of us I don't want to jinx it, but we're a small winning streak away from making the playoffs, so we must stay consistent.

I'm thinking Dvorak will have a good game against the Stars...and the Oilers will come up 4-2.

Old
01-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Oilers Hockey

No need to apologize Rage, I feel your excitement!! Woo! Revenge time against Modano and his falling Stars! I expect this game to have a total playoff atmosphere and we'll rock the building!!! yeah! Remember the noise, the passion, the excitement? The Oilers should win this one, Dallas is slumping this year and they have to take complete advantage, and our crowd will definetely give them a boost! Turrrrr-co! Turrrr-co! I can see it now, Dallas scores in the 1st, but the Oilers come out on top with 2 goals in the 2nd, Modano ties it in the 3rd, and then York scores the game winner in the last 6 minutes!!!

GO OIL!

Old
01-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Hopefully Modano is sore after tonight's game vs Vancouver and they show up in Edmonton at around 4 AM and they are all tired and and and.....

Oilers, just win it!

Old
01-19-2004, 12:38 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i wonder if both Dallas and Edmonton miss the postseason this year?

Oilers win here since they are going to be pumped for it, Isbister will be HUGE

Old
01-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Digger12

I'll be curious to see if:

a)Smyth comes out trying to redeem himself for that 3rd period benching.

b)Laraque FINALLY gets his chance to show he got the message. If they don't suit him up against Dallas, then what?

Old
01-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I'll be curious to see if:

a)Smyth comes out trying to redeem himself for that 3rd period benching.

b)Laraque FINALLY gets his chance to show he got the message. If they don't suit him up against Dallas, then what?

No Kidding then what? What are we doing with this guy? His value is going to be so low that nobody will remember who he is...

Izzy hopefully plays like he did in their first matchup with him in the lineup.

I BELIEVE!!!

Oilers in 6!!

I mean ahhh... Oh never mind.

Old
01-19-2004, 02:25 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
No Kidding then what? What are we doing with this guy? His value is going to be so low that nobody will remember who he is....

A little off topic, but in Hockey Hearsay on the Sportsnet site, they say that Florida offered up Kristian Huselius for Laraque.

Is it a good offer? I don't know much about him but reading his bio at the NHL site it says that he holds a bunch of Elite league records and has already scored 20 goals twice at the NHL level in 3 years. But his numbers for this year suggests he is really sucking right now.

Old
01-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
A little off topic, but in Hockey Hearsay on the Sportsnet site, they say that Florida offered up Kristian Huselius for Laraque.

Is it a good offer? I don't know much about him but reading his bio at the NHL site it says that he holds a bunch of Elite league records and has already scored 20 goals twice at the NHL level in 3 years. But his numbers for this year suggests he is really sucking right now.
That would be a good offer, but it would than me another trade. Huselius plays LW.

Old
01-19-2004, 03:33 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
That would be a good offer, but it would than me another trade. Huselius plays LW.
I'd take it for sure. It would create problems on left wing, but it seems like the alternative is to give Laraque away for a fourth round pick. For laraque's sake, though, I hope they give him one final stretch of games to prove he belongs here.

Old
01-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I'd take it for sure. It would create problems on left wing, but it seems like the alternative is to give Laraque away for a fourth round pick. For laraque's sake, though, I hope they give him one final stretch of games to prove he belongs here.
I find you take the best player available and worry about it later. I think Huselius would be a good fit. MacT would have to juggle his lines but gawd knows he's good at that.

Old
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I find you take the best player available and worry about it later. I think Huselius would be a good fit. MacT would have to juggle his lines but gawd knows he's good at that.
Problem with Huselius though, is that his version of bodychecking is to slap opposing players with his purse...I'd rather bring up Rita and give him one last shot.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:00 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I'd rather bring up Rita and give him one last shot.
I think you meant his first "real" shot.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
I think you meant his first "real" shot.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Jani "I can't even light up the AHL" Rita is really gonna come up here and solve all our problems, yeah......And Brad Isbister is paid to check, Georges Laraque scores goals, Tommy Salo is one of the NHL's best goalies, Scott Ferguson is young and full of jump, and oh yeah, Craig MacTavish is gonna snag the Jack Adams.....

Not only is Jani Rita not going to solve our scoring forward issues, there are other players who should be called up before he is.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:26 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Jani "I can't even light up the AHL" Rita is really gonna come up here and solve all our problems, yeah......And Brad Isbister is paid to check, Georges Laraque scores goals, Tommy Salo is one of the NHL's best goalies, Scott Ferguson is young and full of jump, and oh yeah, Craig MacTavish is gonna snag the Jack Adams.....

Not only is Jani Rita not going to solve our scoring forward issues, there are other players who should be called up before he is.
Who said anything about Rita being a solution to our current lack of scoring, or being counted on being a top 2 line finisher. We know this guy has skill, actual hockey skill........... I see no harm in playing him ahead of Fernando "I work hard, but have no real hockey skill" Pisani, Jason "I skate and shoot fast, but never really think plays through before attempting them" Chimera or Gentleman Georges. Im not even going to mention Grandmaster Horcoff, because MacT will have my head.

MacT mentioned earlier in the season that he wanted Jani to turn into a Jere Lehtinen. That doesnt happen overnight. And it doesnt happen by playing in the AHL. This guy has skill, the defensive aspects of the game will come eventually. And unless you mean to call up more hard-working pluggers (Jamie Wright) or tiny AHL point producers (DiCasmirro, Sarno, Salmo, Hinz, Bishai), or players who are not ready for the NHL at all (Winchester, J.J. Hunter, Baum), Rita should get his overdue shot at helping this team on a regular basis.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Oi'll say!

As long as Mike Modano doesn't have some kind of slumpbuster game I'll be happy enough with a 9-0 win by the Oil.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
tiny AHL point producers (DiCasmirro,
5'11", 205 lbs.

If he was one inch taller at the same weight would he still be tiny?

Old
01-19-2004, 08:32 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
5'11", 205 lbs.

If he was one inch taller at the same weight would he still be tiny?
Then hes upgraded to "Husky".

Old
01-19-2004, 08:36 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Jani is perhaps our most skilled prospect. You can't just let these types of guys rot in the minors. Whether he's producing at the minor league level or not can be misleading. Chimera and Swanson ripped up the minor leagues, now look at them. Meanwhile, Semenov had a lackluster start in Hamilton last season yet he really stepped it when he came to the NHL. And it isn't like Jani has played poorly when he's been in Edmonton. Last year, he scored 3 goals in 12 games while playing with poor linemates and little icetime. That projects to 20 goals in the whole season. Nobody is saying he's going to solve all our problems, but he deserves an extended shot.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
This sould be a good game. Fight predictions Torres vs Morrow and Isbister vs Arnott

Old
01-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
This sould be a good game. Fight predictions Torres vs Morrow and Isbister vs Arnott
Don't forget Laraque against Modano..

Old
01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

take a look at my avatar kinda sums up my feelings about rita. it is time to give him his final shot at the big time and dont tell me he has been given many opportunities. 13 to 14 games a season is not a very good judge of his talent.
lastly you heard from it me(i will admit my mistake) the oilers will regret not giving him his shot and i guarantee he wont sign this summer, this is a miro satan situation all over again.
anyhou given our track record against the stars and modanos penchant for scoring against us i dont like our odds, but i say we can still pull a out a win. 4-3 in ot winner by smyth.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I think everyone will agree that it was a dissapointing road trip, and this truely is a must win game for the Oilers. Dallas playing the second of back to backs, and 3rd in 4 nights, and playing as up and down as they have this year, there is no reason why the Oil should lose this one. 4-3 Oilers.

Closed Thread