HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT:Dallas Stars visit the Edmonton Oilers, Jan.20/04

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 11:20 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Jani is perhaps our most skilled prospect. .
I sure hope he isn't, because in that case, we're toast.

Tony Salmelainen has earned a shot, and proven he can play here. The problem is our wonderful coach, sees fit to play pluggers instead of young future contributors, often on the 1st and 2nd lines with PP time.

Smyth-York-Torres
Dvorak-Stoll(Marty's spot)-Hemsky
Moreau-Oates-Isbister
Chimera-Anchor(Stoll's spot)-Salmelainen/Pisani

Should be our lines right now

If Rita was anywhere near as good as some here think he is, he'd be tearing up the AHL.

Old
01-19-2004, 11:56 PM
zamboni

If it wasn't for his inconsistancy, he'd be a much better player. Inconsistancy is what will probably keep him from a shot in the Oilers lineup this year.

Old
01-20-2004, 12:17 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I sure hope he isn't, because in that case, we're toast.

Tony Salmelainen has earned a shot, and proven he can play here. The problem is our wonderful coach, sees fit to play pluggers instead of young future contributors, often on the 1st and 2nd lines with PP time.

Smyth-York-Torres
Dvorak-Stoll(Marty's spot)-Hemsky
Moreau-Oates-Isbister
Chimera-Anchor(Stoll's spot)-Salmelainen/Pisani

Should be our lines right now

If Rita was anywhere near as good as some here think he is, he'd be tearing up the AHL.
What are you, Billy Beane? You realize stats are far from perfect in hockey, right? I'd like you to try a thought experiment. Try to imagine yourself as an Islander fan, pre-Bertuzzi trade. Think about Todd's play at the time. Tell me, that using your mentality, you wouldn't have then supported the idea of shipping Todd out? Or the idea that valuable ice time shouldn't be wasted on him. Bring yourself back to the present day. Look at how dumb the Islanders were for trading Big Bad Bert. Do you now realize the folly of your ways? I find it funny how you always say IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RESULTS! Yet, when Horcoff gets a goal or an assist in a game, you still give him a bad grade?
Some food for thought...

Old
01-20-2004, 12:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
What are you, Billy Beane? You realize stats are far from perfect in hockey, right? I'd like you to try a thought experiment. Try to imagine yourself as an Islander fan, pre-Bertuzzi trade. Think about Todd's play at the time. Tell me, that using your mentality, you wouldn't have then supported the idea of shipping Todd out? Or the idea that valuable ice time shouldn't be wasted on him. Bring yourself back to the present day. Look at how dumb the Islanders were for trading Big Bad Bert. Do you now realize the folly of your ways? I find it funny how you always say IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RESULTS! Yet, when Horcoff gets a goal or an assist in a game, you still give him a bad grade?
Some food for thought...
Hey, if they couldn't see his game (they obviously couldn't), that's their fault for missing out. Jani Rita doesn't have that, there's nothing to suggest at all that he has that. And if you played every single guy at that level, just because you felt obligated to, well, that'd be alot of wasted minutes.

Old
01-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Hey, if they couldn't see his game (they obviously couldn't), that's their fault for missing out. Jani Rita doesn't have that, there's nothing to suggest at all that he has that. And if you played every single guy at that level, just because you felt obligated to, well, that'd be alot of wasted minutes.
Gotta go with the 'Mouth on this one. I don't view Rita as being singled out or punished by Oiler management. Nor a whipping boy. From my observations, Rita has the raw skills to be a solid NHLer. But what is holding him back imo is the consistency required night in and night out to contribute. Too many lapses and streaky play and requiring a stronger, more assertive physical game.

I'd love to see Rita get his shot. But most of all I hope it to be earned rather than entitled. The wait is frustrating but more seasoning appears to be required. All of this is frustrating as the threadbare Oilers could use a sparkplug.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I'd love to see Rita get his shot. But most of all I hope it to be earned rather than entitled. The wait is frustrating but more seasoning appears to be required. All of this is frustrating as the threadbare Oilers could use a sparkplug.
Problem is, this is the last year of Rita's rookie contract. If you're Lowe, what the heck do you DO with him? If you offer him a 2 way deal, there's a real chance he heads back to Finland and who knows when he comes back. If you take the plunge and offer him a 1 way deal, you take the chance that he doesn't fulfill his end of the bargain and you're stuck with him. Given his consistency issues, he's no sure bet.

One of these days I'd sure like to get the skinny from KP or whomever on what the deal is with Rita.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:18 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Problem with Huselius though, is that his version of bodychecking is to slap opposing players with his purse...I'd rather bring up Rita and give him one last shot.
Depending on the size of his purse, he could really nail someone throgh the boards.

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. I was thinking mostly from and offensive perspective. I mean, he's the closest thing we can get that can actually score. I'm sure we're all tired of seeing the OIlers lose 1-0 or 2-1.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:26 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Oilers 5 - 1 Stars

No Sweep this time..

Old
01-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Oilers 5 - 1 Stars

No Sweep this time..
Ha HA. The Oilers scoring 5 goals. I wish. Say for argument sake that the Stars are tired from last night's game vs Vcr, then maybe Edmontn will score 3 goals. 5 goals I'm just dreamin'.

Edm 3-2.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:47 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Ha HA. The Oilers scoring 5 goals. I wish. Say for argument sake that the Stars are tired from last night's game vs Vcr, then maybe Edmontn will score 3 goals. 5 goals I'm just dreamin'.

Edm 3-2.
We'll lose nonetheless..

The Stars pretty much suck, they average 1.98 goals per game, so scoring two would actually be over their average, can't see that happeing either.. :p

Old
01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Jani isn't just any prospect, he was the hockey news PROSPECT OF THE YEAR. This guy has mad skillz, he just lacks consistency. A guy like Pisani can't gain natural born talent, but a guy like Rita can gain consistency if handled right. The alternative would be to lose him for nothing if he goes back to the old country. It's not like he's stunk the joint up when he was up here, he was on a respectible 0.25 goals per game clip while playing with crappy linemates and little ice time.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Oiltalk

3-2 Oilers tonight.

If Rita doesn't get his shot this year, than I see him dealt at the deadline with one of our other players. I can't see Lowe losing him for nothing, when he decides that the Oilers organization isn't giving him a fair shot.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:39 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
3-2 Oilers tonight.

If Rita doesn't get his shot this year, than I see him dealt at the deadline with one of our other players. I can't see Lowe losing him for nothing, when he decides that the Oilers organization isn't giving him a fair shot.
I doubt we'd get much for him, Any other organization would also be worried about him going back to Scandanavia. I think it would be better to let him go back to Finland, learn more about the game, and if he dominates his countrymen then offer him a nice one-way contract.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Bohologo

Dallas is playing better of late, but they're tired from last night. Our guys have some injury problems, but a few (Cross, Ulanov) have come back. Dallas needs a win, so do the Oil.

Let's mess with Texas!

Old
01-20-2004, 04:00 PM
punk_o_holic

6-5 Oilers

Arnott gets 5 goals and is named the first, second, and third star

Old
01-20-2004, 04:43 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Hey, if they couldn't see his game (they obviously couldn't), that's their fault for missing out.
Redardless, the example shows the flaws of your "it's all about the points" attitude. Many players underachieve and it's wrong to think they are lousy players because of that. Vancouver's whole team is built on players who have previously underachieved--Bert, Nas, and Jovo.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:29 PM
copperandblue

I would expect to see Rita given a one way contract next year and carried by the big club.

The same thing happened to Chimera. He got caught up in the numbers and spent his time in minors if for no other reason then he was elligible to go down without clearing waivers. That was with even better numbers than Rita.

Then last year the Oilers couldn't risk sending him down because he would have had to pass through waivers in order to do so. So he was handed the one way contract and given some limited ice time to get his feet wet.

I would expect the same path for Rita. Next year, the team won't have the option to send him down without risk losing him and the club isn't about to risk that. So he will be with the team and given the opportunity to sink or swim.

He may not have stood out at camp and maybe didn't do himself any favours in showing what he has, but in simplest terms he was expendable because of the waivers issue. The only other forward they carried that could be sent down is Stoll but he plays center, which obviously on this team it makes him a hot commodity.

Just my 2 cents

Old
01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Shizuka

Ahh yes, our once heated rivals of the playoffs, the Stars. Well they played and won last night in Van city, pretty convincingly too. They may be tired but Modano dresses tonight, so I am expecting a strong game from them. 3-2 Dallas, Dvo and Horcoff tally for us.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Jani isn't just any prospect, he was the hockey news PROSPECT OF THE YEAR.
Easy, sailor. He was the Hockey News Prospect of the Year...... from the AHL. Not best prospect. Best prospect..... in the farm leagues. And since so many players come from junior and Europe and completely skip the farm leagues, this leaves him far from one of the top prospects out there.

And it's not like playing lots in the AHL will necessarily hurt his development, nor will him being called up to the Oil cure our scoring woes, so what's the big rush??

Old
01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
According to Ken Chilliback on TSN, Cross is supposed to play and so is Laraque. No mention of who comes out.

01-20-2004, 08:01 PM
OYLer

5 - 2 Oilers

Old
01-20-2004, 08:22 PM
windowlicker

man.........we need a real finisher.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Oilers Hockey

Oates needs to shoot HARDER.

Torres and Laraque were awesome.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

First period observations. Chimera is simply flying out there. I am pleased to see him playing with Smyth, Oates. I really, really like Semenov's play and feel we are beginning to see the emergence of a special defenseman. Lots of confidence handling the puck and not jumpy at all. Very composed. And although he took a penalty, I like the fact he is getting more aggressive and showing an edge. This toughness will pay dividends.

I am so, so happy about the return of Igor Ulanov. Tough, confident, and a great onice mentor for Semenov. This guy has been an invaluable pickup. He may provide the depth to shop Smith. Big Georges looked focused. It's go time for him in all sense of the word.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:03 PM
windowlicker

Horcoff is starting to downright piss me off.

And....Mike York is out for the rest of the game due to a severe headache. Most likely due to the Downey hit. (Just when you think things are getting better, they get even better)

Closed Thread