HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT:Dallas Stars visit the Edmonton Oilers, Jan.20/04

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Fergy Scores????

1-0 Edmonton!
Watch out Nicklas Lidstrom!

Now seriously, great game by the team. Salo's third shutout in his last six games, second straight at Rexall Place. Looking good!

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 01-21-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old
01-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Digger12

Random points time!

-Maybe it's my imagination, but the Oilers sure seemed to sag after York left the game with 'headaches', and they sure seemed to pick it up upon his return.

-The Stars looked like they were running on fumes in the 3rd...they aren't the same Stars you grew up loathing, kids. No Hatcher/Sydor/Muller/Keane/Nieuwendyk/Hogue/Hull/Langenbrunner/Carbonneau to kill us with that key goal, key hit or key backcheck. And don't think Modano doesn't know his Stanley cup window with Dallas is swiftly slamming shut. Numminen is no Hatcher.

-I wouldn't say Torres' shot is anything awesome, if anything I would call it relentless. He gets it off quickly, it's on net and he's not shy about letting it go from anywhere. Brophy made a good point tonight when he said that MacT moves Torres around in the lineup to give his linemates a lift, not the other way around.

-For all the Fergiehaters...get used to that gap-toothed mug, because now that he's actually got a goal he'll be brought back as an assistant coach after he retires an Oiler.

-Even though he's hasn't had a lot to show for it, I've liked Hemsky's play of late. He's taking the body more, which is good because when he does it's usually a sign that he's going to impress that night. He doesn't look like he's sulking, now if Horcoff could only show some hands around the net he might've had a couple of helpers tonight.

-Whenever the opposing team has an extended cycle going in the Oilers' end, why does it not surprise me that it usually involves the Oates/Smyth line, with Ferguson and Bergeron/Cross as the dmen? Offensively, you can tell Oates is trying but he's always a half second late with his decisions.

-Did Arnott play tonight? I swear I barely heard his name mentioned other when they mentioned the starting lineups.

-I silently weep whenever I think about what it'd be like to have Sergei Zubov manning our PP, even for just a day.

-Laraque was trying out there, I'll give him that. I'm withholding judgement until I see a sustained improvement. Stoll and Torres are a good fit for him, though. Pisani might be sitting for a bit, whether it's to kickstart BG or showcase him for the big trade everyone's predicting.

All in all a sweet win, but as usual it means squat if they come out flat in the next one. CAN THEY STRING MORE THAN ONE GAME IN A ROW TOGETHER???

Old
01-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
Salo's third shutout in his last six games, second straight at Rexall Place. Looking good!
I love it! He's proving certain people wrong that "the Oilers desperately need a goaltender". :p I know he only faced 16 shots but he still made quite a few great saves to keep the Oilers in it, and when the floodgates opened in the 3rd Salo still made sure the Stars didn't get one past him. 3 shoutouts in the last 6 games. Salo is H-O-T!

Someone mentioned Hemsky & Torres should be paired up! I think thats a great idea, because it was mentioned on Sportsnet that whenever Torres joins a new line, he sparks it. Maybe he'll do the same to Hemsky, wake him up, and add Oates too he needs to find his offense as well. What do you think of this for our top 2:

Smyth-York-Dvorak
Torres-Oates-Hemsky

??

Old
01-21-2004, 12:38 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Easy, sailor. He was the Hockey News Prospect of the Year...... from the AHL. Not best prospect. Best prospect..... in the farm leagues. And since so many players come from junior and Europe and completely skip the farm leagues, this leaves him far from one of the top prospects out there.

And it's not like playing lots in the AHL will necessarily hurt his development, nor will him being called up to the Oil cure our scoring woes, so what's the big rush??
The rush is that his contract is up, and he could go back to finland. We need to decide whether to offer him a one way.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Yanner39

Good game for the Oil. I was out of town so I didn't watch it but is Dallas that bad? 16 shots on net? What is up with this team.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I love it! He's proving certain people wrong that "the Oilers desperately need a goaltender". :p I know he only faced 16 shots but he still made quite a few great saves to keep the Oilers in it, and when the floodgates opened in the 3rd Salo still made sure the Stars didn't get one past him. 3 shoutouts in the last 6 games. Salo is H-O-T!
Only five goals against in those six games as well.

Closed Thread