HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks- Blueshirts Have Assets for Big Deal

Old
12-03-2007, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Brooks- Blueshirts Have Assets for Big Deal

Quote:
So what if Toronto makes Mats Sundin available as a rental? What if Tampa Bay GM Jay Feaster believes the only way out of the mess he's made of the Lightning is to place all-world Vincent Lecavalier on the auction block? What if Atlanta can't sign Marian Hossa to an extension and looks to move the winger, or Columbus drops out of the playoff picture and dangles Sergei Fedorov as a lend-lease operation, or Rob Blake is willing to waive his no-trade out of LA?
Quote:
The Rangers are loaded with young affordable assets. The trick now is to identify whom the organization can afford to trade - and whom it can't - when a championship-caliber veteran becomes available prior to the Feb. 26 deadline.

In other words, which of the kids is Philip Hughes and which one is Joba Chamberlain
?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12032007...eal_863328.htm

Just because the Rangers have multiple young assets doesn't mean the Rangers should squander them on the likes of Fedorov or Blake or other rentals.It's been a very difficult process to get to this point and to just give them away is beyond foolish.Fedorov or Blake?My computer says it December 3,2007.Not 1997

Oh Larry.Hughes>Chamberlain.The NYY are making a big mistake.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The ONLY player to give up a lot for is Lecavalier, IMHO.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:05 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

That guy is a jackass, plain and simple...

D-men like Staal are rarer than rocking horse doo doo, you guys are lucky to have him...

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Agreed on Fedorov and Blake, but Hossa or Vinny on this team? Dare I say scary good.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The ONLY two Brooks mentioned that would actually fill a need possibly are Hossa and Blake. I'm surprised Brooks didn't throw out his "the Rangers are interested in KT" rumor that he drags out every year.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The ONLY two Brooks mentioned that would actually fill a need possibly are Hossa and Blake. I'm surprised Brooks didn't throw out his "the Rangers are interested in KT" rumor that he drags out every year.
Vinny Lecav would fill a need also. A 1st line center. You move Drury over to wing where he played in the past and had much success in Colorado.

If we could land Vinny, our team would be set for a long time.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Vinny Lecav would fill a need also. A 1st line center. You move Drury over to wing where he played in the past and had much success in Colorado.

If we could land Vinny, our team would be set for a long time.
I love Vinny L, and think he's the best player in the NHL right now, (over both Crosby and Thornton). But, you do run the risk of throwing off the chemistry this team is starting to develop. Jagr couldn't play with either Drury or Gomez as his center. You might run into the same problem trying to put Vinny there. I agree that Drury will end up on the wing, probably when both Jagr and Shanahan are gone.

Old
12-03-2007, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Marian Hossa has a tendency to not show up in the playoffs.He didn't show up last April against the Rangers and you couldn't find him when Ottawa played the Leafs in the playoffs.When the tough gets going,Hossa goes away.Hossa was just as reponsible as Ottawa's goaltending for their constant playoff meltdowns.

The playoff deadline deals really work out.

Atlanta was a machine in the playoffs after trading for Tkachunk,Zhitnik and Dupuis.Braydon Coburn for Zhitnik.Come on.

Bill Guerin really lifted the Sharks after his move to San Jose and Ryan Smyth couldn't wait to leave Long Island.

If you look at teams which have won Cups,they rarely made an impact trade at the deadline.You have your team together for 6 months and then decide to bring in other players which alters the chemistry of the team.Anaheim wanted to make a deal but they couldn't.Carolina traded for Doug Weight before the Olympic break but they really didn't need him.TB traded Svitov for Darryl Sydor.

The media and fans love the trading deadline but it's extremely overrated.

Old
12-03-2007, 06:31 AM
bumrusherer

For Vincent..everyone is Phil Hughes, IMO.

The others? Blah. I'd take my chances with what we already have.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
For Vincent..everyone is Phil Hughes, IMO.

The others? Blah. I'd take my chances with what we already have.
Vinny>Santana

Old
12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
That guy is a jackass, plain and simple...

D-men like Staal are rarer than rocking horse doo doo, you guys are lucky to have him...
But the thing is staal wouldnt be in any trade because Sather is not stupid.

I think Sauer is a name you would see come up in trade talks. Also Montoya. Baranka, Korpikoski, and a few more guys would also be available.

This team has a shot at the cup, and when you have that shot you put it all on the line because its worth it. Last years team wasnt a team that had a legit shot which is why no one would advocate a big trade. But this years team has that chance and theres no doubt a big trade could be possible so I understand Brooks' thinking, for once.

I would take Sundin in a heartbeat. The guy is a gamer, plain and simple.
Same with Lecavlier.

Two years ago I wanted Fedorov, but now I just dont want him anymore. He's aged even more and two years ago he was considered old.

Hossa, I'm iffy about just because of his history of not showing up in the playoffs. But he has been phenominal this year and he looked good against the islanders the other night. Hey bring the Hossa brothers together.

Blake, i dont know about

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Yup. I'd give up a lot for Vinny at this point, but I don't think there's any way Tampa trades him now. He's got a manageable contract in this day and age, if I'm not mistaken, and he's playing amazingly well. I think they'd ditch St. Louis, or maybe even Richards first.

Hossa? Meh. No doubt he can be a great player, but I'm wary of him for some reason.

Blake and Federov? Hahahahah, what the hell, Brooks?

Also, isn't it a bit premature to be speculating on playoff rentals at this point? Plus, I'd really, really worry about throwing off the balance of the whole team by getting a high priced rental at the deadline. It's taken them awhile to get things going as it is, and they still aren't out of the woods. Then to go and throw in another piece? I feel like it'd be playoff disappointment all over again as the acquired player flounders to find his nitch.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:34 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:35 AM
JR#9*

I said it the other day and I'll say it again, the guy I think would be a great fit and who wouldn't command the return of say a Lecalvier would be Big Mats Sundin who would be a beast playing on a line with Jagr and Straka.

Mats is on pace for almost 40 goals and 100 pts and would be playing for his 1st stanley Cup so you know he'd be going balls to the wall trying to get his name on it.

Not to mention I think his and Jagr's style would mesh perfectly as Mats is also a half-court type player as opposed to a guy who primarily generates his offense off the rush, the same as Jagr.

Their 2 big bodies where they shield and control the puck so well on the cycle and coming off the wall along with Straka's all around game and speed on that line would be worth a Leetch like package going Toronto's way if we are primed for a Cup run come the deadline.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
I said it the other day and I'll say it again, the guy I think would be a great fit and who wouldn't command the return of say a Lecalvier would be Big Mats Sundin who would be a beast playing on a line with Jagr and Straka.

Mats is on pace for almost 40 goals and 100 pts and would be playing for his 1st stanley Cup so you know he'd be going balls to the wall trying to get his name on it.

Not to mention I think his and Jagr's style would mesh perfectly as Mats is also a half-court type player as opposed to a guy who primarily generates his offense off the rush, the same as Jagr.

Their 2 big bodies where they shield and control the puck so well on the cycle and coming off the wall along with Straka's all around game and speed on that line would be worth a Leetch like package going Toronto's way if we are primed for a Cup run come the deadline.
Not surprising.You would have traded the Sanguinetti pick in a deal for Reinprecht and Morris two years ago.If you were the Rangers GM,they would not have any picks or young players to trade

Old
12-03-2007, 07:41 AM
eco's bones

Trading young players for someone like Blake could well turn into a Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge type deal. He's 38 years old and his offense isn't what it used to be.

The thing is just because we have assets doesn't mean we have to use them to bring in players who at one time or another were marquis players. With the Rangers showing signs that they me busting out of their offensive doldrums this is probably not the best time to bring in some major player. Got to say like I've been saying for the past couple three weeks that what the Rangers really need to look for when (or if) we go into the playoffs is forwards with better size who can skate and do their best work in the trenches.

Speaking of the prospects though--is Mikka Wiikman the real thing?--if he continues to emerge does he make Monoya more expendable--keeping in mind that I believe he's signed to an AHL contract. Holt was also playing well before his injury.

Defense--Sanguinetti and Sauer are great prospects. Baranka is a very good one who with a +3 in last nights game is up to a +12. Taylor (also AHL contract) also seems to be having far and away his best pro season and Potter seems to be doing pretty well as was Liffiton before he got hurt. Two vets with quite a bit of NHL experience in Hutchinson and Pock also.

At forward--Korpikoski is not scoring a lot (5-8-13 in 23 games) but is a +13 (second highest on the team). Dawes to me is an NHL player now but there is no room for him on our roster. Moore has great size--is a point a game player and a +16 in 21 games which is astounding. Dupont, Anisimov and Pyatt all first year players are all contributing. Parenteau leading scorer in Hartford. Jessiman having his best season so far. Byers--not scoring like last year but provides size and an edge. Which leaves Bourret who has been inconsistent. Throw in Cherapanov and Hillier. Kveton doing well in the Czech elite league. Zaborsky having a good season. Campbell and Hagelin have very good freshman seasons in college. And Billy Ryan.

Which is to say there are a lot of assets and no way they'll all make the NHL or even all play for us but it's more important for us to decide which players we must keep and better to identify our real weaknesses and to make the right moves than just to make a big splash.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:41 AM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post

....and when the Maple Leafs ask for Dubinsky for Sundin, what do you do?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:42 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Like Jon, the only player i'll trade assets for is Vinny. I'll trade anyone except Staal, Lundqvist, Tyutin or Girardi.

But really, I'm extremely happy of what we have now on the Rangers and in the system so I really don't care if we don't make a trade, nor do I really want one anytime soon.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:47 AM
94now

Brooks should be fired. He is a liability for the paper.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 07:54 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Mats Sundin - Would be great, but will not come. I unfortunately think he may (if the ***** hits the fan in Toronto) wind up in Detroit. But he may also want to stay with Toronto. I could find out more...(e4)

Blake - No. Too old & slow in the new NHL and not putting on an impressive show at all in LA

Vinny L - YEs. But the price to pay would probably be ridiculous

Hossa - Hmmm for his brother maybe? He has a very suspect record in the PO

Shane Doan (mentioned on another thread) - too high a contract stretching until 2012. Not really what we should go after.

Fedorov - hahaha

I would prefer A diamond in the ruff type player such as:
Danny Carcillo
Zherdev

On D we would probably need someone as well

Hmmmmm - cannot get both a forward and a defender in under the cap. At the deadline - there is quite a bit of space (if you move space for bonuses to next year) if you want to go "all in". Risky - but exciting. Remember - a great & expensive superstar type might not be what is needed to play into June - instead add something like Avery last year and you could wind up with A Winner. Here is where the "fingerspetsgefühl" of Sather gets to be an important factor.

Well - If you move some salary out (Malik, Mara, Prucha) - there would be lots of space. Not too sure what this does to the team & chemistry though. Might wreck havoc instead????

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Well - If you move some salary out (Malik, Mara, Prucha) - there would be lots of space. Not too sure what this does to the team & chemistry though. Might wreck havoc instead????
Which is definitely part of the problem. While I don't think they'd need to clear all a players cap hit (just what is owed to them through the rest of the season), they'd still have to make some trades to get it to work, and that could cause problems. Is another team even going to want a Malik or Mara? True, it'd only be for the rest of the season, but then you have to hope that doesn't mess with the defense (though thankfully it seems the team can survive the loss of at least one)

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

One possibility for a deal would be to look for a checking center, and thus, move Drury to 2nd line LW, with Gomez and Shanahan. We have already seen how well they work together on the PP. Avery could slide down to 3rd line LW, and, along with Callahan, flank the newly acquired 3rd line center. The cost wouldn't be as high as the names listed by Brooks - obviously, Prucha would be a possibility to go the other way.

The only other upgrade MIGHT be on D. Otherwise, while I expect management to do whatever is necessary, (within reason), to continually improve this team, I'm not sure any deals have to be made, contrary to what Brooks suggests.

Old
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
One possibility for a deal would be to look for a checking center, and thus, move Drury to 2nd line LW, with Gomez and Shanahan. We have already seen how well they work together on the PP. Avery could slide down to 3rd line LW, and, along with Callahan, flank the newly acquired 3rd line center. The cost wouldn't be as high as the names listed by Brooks - obviously, Prucha would be a possibility to go the other way.

The only other upgrade MIGHT be on D. Otherwise, while I expect management to do whatever is necessary, (within reason), to continually improve this team, I'm not sure any deals have to be made, contrary to what Brooks suggests.
I was thinking this on Saturday at the end of the game when the Rangers really didn't have a shut down center available to go against the Spezza line. Dubinsky and Gomez, no. Drury is the closest thing but he's playing with Prucha. It remined me of last year against Buffalo in the playoffs when Renney sent out the Jagr line with Nylander to protect the one goal game.

I guess Renney could play the Betts line against the other team's top lines!

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:24 AM
JMR27

Fedorov our PP quarterback !!!!!

JMR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
JerseyRangers

Vinny would be great but way, way too expensive. I would be intrigued with Mats Sundin if the price was right. Him, Jagr and Straka would be sick. Too much size and skill to stop. Doubt he gets traded and if he does it will be to the Red Wings. As for the rest -- pass. Like Hossa but think he's going to be do expensive and too soft for this team.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote