HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

New rumors: I'm in line to be the HC, and McPhee might get the boot

Old
12-04-2007, 02:14 AM
LarryDavid

vCash: 500
Hunter, as former long time NHL Player, Captain and current Junior coach, would easily be capable of handling any NHL roster.

Don't be naive, he has every players respect before walking into the room, and in case some young guys don't know him well then I'm certain he'll introduce himself as only he can

LarryDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

just like the Great One made a great coach??? Great player does not equal great coach. Most the time the players that were not the best make better coaches, becuase they study and work harder to make it in hockey then the great players who play off raw talent.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
just like the Great One made a great coach???
Give him time, he's still pretty new to coaching and all that. I'm not saying he'll become the greatest coach ever, but I do expect him to get a lot better if he sticks to it.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
just like the Great One made a great coach??? Great player does not equal great coach. Most the time the players that were not the best make better coaches, becuase they study and work harder to make it in hockey then the great players who play off raw talent.
Hunter as a "great player" would fall more into the hustle and guts catagory than the skill and talent catagory.

I would not put him in the Gretzky class. As for respect, I think the young players only need look at his number in the rafters to see that part.

Personally I would prefer Gustafsson as coach, but only marginally over Hunter and I am just fine with Boudreau getting results and staying as the coach.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Otter

I don't really know if Hunter will some day be a great coach and I don't care much about this discussion but I wanted to chime in and say that...

Gretzky never proved himself as a minor league coach. Hunter has done that so saying that the situation is similar is not working for me.

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:58 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
IMO Dale Hunter is more of a gamble than BB at the moment. Don't get me wrong the 'fan' in me loves the thought of Hunter as the caps coach. I GM decides to go with a different coach this off season I would anticipate he would go with a veteran NHL coach or at least a long time assistant.
What if Dale Hunter were to coach the Bears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Give him time, he's still pretty new to coaching and all that. I'm not saying he'll become the greatest coach ever, but I do expect him to get a lot better if he sticks to it.
I don't --- and that's not a knock on Gretzky. Players like him never really had to "work" at being a player; they were oodles and oodles of raw talent and playing the game came naturally to them. I believe that the best coaches were the guys who had to really "work" because they didn't have pure talent to fall back on. Which is why I agree with txpd - when his time comes, I think a Hunter type player will be a better coach than a Gretzky type player (though I'd like to see Hunter cut his teeth on the AHL before jumping to the NHL).

Last edited by HockeyCritter: 12-04-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Combined posts.
HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

a column about Hunter in the London Press with some Hunter comments

link

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
a column about Hunter in the London Press with some Hunter comments

link
great article.

Thanks!

It would be interesting to know the question that prompted this quote:

Quote:
"I'd like to try coaching in the NHL," Hunter said. "But right now I'm coaching here. Washington has a coach. Boudreau is doing a good job.
I assume that someone asked him directly about the DC situation. But if it were a general question about NHL coaching and he mentioned DC unprovoked, that would be interesting.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
What if Dale Hunter were to coach the Bears?

I don't --- and that's not a knock on Gretzky. Players like him never really had to "work" at being a player; they were oodles and oodles of raw talent and playing the game came naturally to them. I believe that the best coaches were the guys who had to really "work" because they didn't have pure talent to fall back on. Which is why I agree with txpd - when his time comes, I think a Hunter type player will be a better coach than a Gretzky type player (though I'd like to see Hunter cut his teeth on the AHL before jumping to the NHL).
I think that's a hugely inaccurate statement. Great players don't just get by on their talent. Usually the great ones have the strongest internal drive to win and be the best to go along with elite talent.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I think that's a hugely inaccurate statement. Great players don't just get by on their talent. Usually the great ones have the strongest internal drive to win and be the best to go along with elite talent.
I think what she means is that sometimes these players have such great ability and natural instinct that it can be hard for them to 'teach' and 'communicate' to us lowly folk who can't read and react at their level. Sometimes great players just can't comprehend that the average players can't see what comes so natural to them.

While that's not true to a large extent, ie painting with a big brush, it is true for many people in many walks of life. Many things mathematically and engineering come really easy to me as somehow I can relate to them 'naturally'. In ways that has made me a horrible teacher to others. It has taken me a long while to sharpen my mentoring skills across a broad scope of individuals.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote