HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

possibly the Best GuyF interview yet

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Hey Guy, I have one question for you about one of the Oilers earlier draft picks, 1990 I believe, JASON SOULES what ever happened with him and the organization?
This may be hard to believe, but I read somewhere that he left pro hockey when he got on as a fireman somewhere. I'm not sure if injuries played a factor or anything, I think he just quit the sport.

Guy, noone can ever accuse you of pulling any punches after this one. I think Barry Fraser is rolling around holding his solar plexus right now.

Beeeeeeauuuuuuty!

Old
01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
CementCo

Prendergast Part III

I liked the article but found something interesting. In Part II, Prendergast says the Oilers aren't influenced when interviewing prospects. It seems to me that some of these previous bad picks could have been prevented if the Oilers had interviewed their future prospects. I mean they're in the draft city anyway. They have a room booked. Why not at least talk with the player you are thinking of signed to a million-dollar deal. I hope never to again hear a Oilers first-round pick mutter the words, "I had no idea they were interested. They didn't even interview me."

Old
01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CementCo
I liked the article but found something interesting. In Part II, Prendergast says the Oilers aren't influenced when interviewing prospects. It seems to me that some of these previous bad picks could have been prevented if the Oilers had interviewed their future prospects. I mean they're in the draft city anyway. They have a room booked. Why not at least talk with the player you are thinking of signed to a million-dollar deal. I hope never to again hear a Oilers first-round pick mutter the words, "I had no idea they were interested. They didn't even interview me."
Here's my thoughts on this (and only MY thoughts).

Most of the interviews are done at the combines put on by Central Scouting and I don't believe they are held in the same place as the draft every year. It was two years ago in Toronto as was the draft but I think that was coincidence. I am under the impression that the combines are in Toronto and the draft skips all over the place. I could be wrong.

I don't know how long the combines are or how many players are there for them but I know it's many.

As you heard Prendergast say in Part II, Hemsky had to sit through +25 interviews BEFORE they got to see him. That's a perfect example of why they shouldn't bank a whole lot on the interview intself. If they had, they wouldn't have takne Hemmer and I think we all agree that that would have been a mistake right?

The guys who have told me that they didn't have an interview (Greene, Stortini, etc) weren't first round picks either. They DID interview Pouliot and Hemsky, we know that.

I'm sure they talk to anyone who is a possible first rounder for them.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
If I had one constructive criticism, I found some of McCarthy's comments a wee bit catty and condescending regarding Fraser's choice of residence but thankfully Pedergast was professional.
If it makes you feel better, I had to poke at Chris a bit to get him to give me a quote with some emotion. Even when he said what he did, he didn't do it with a sense of negativity. It was more like "it really wasn't a big deal to us but it was blown up by people outside the organization."

I think Chris could have been very critical about Fraser but held back. There was some stuff that was off the record and as Lowetide mentioned, some of the remarks around the Kaberle story were hilarious and colourful too.

In my opinion, they were both professional about it. Some people at Oilfans thought that KP was taking cheap shots so I guess it's up to the reader to decide for themselves.

Thanks for the compliments though!

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 01-20-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old
01-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
If it makes you feel better, I had to poke at Chris a bit to get him to give me a quote with some emotion. Even when he said what he did, he didn't do it with a sense of negativity. It was more like "it really wasn't a big deal to us but it was blown up by people outside the organization."

I think Chris could have been very critical about Fraser but held back. There was some stuff that was off the record and as Lowetide mentioned, some of the remarks around the Kaberle stroy were hilarious and colourful too.

In my opinion, they were both professional about it. Some people at Oilfans thought that KP was taking xheap shots so I guess it's up to the reader to decide for themselves.

Thanks for the compliments though!
Appreciate the response Guy. I guess the risk in such an feature is much like the expression 'it's easy to pee on someone's grave.' Meaning of course there is an inability for the dead to defend themselves. Again, I appreciate K-P and McCarthy's honesty and candor. Quite impressive for a fan-based site.

Perhaps your next big adventure could be Barry Fraser, life after hockey. Ruminations on drafting in a different era. Viewpoints on scouting and talent evaluation in today's world. Find a would-be benefactor to spot you for an inperson interview in Sunny Mexico...

Old
01-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
Hey Guy, I have one question for you about one of the Oilers earlier draft picks, 1990 I believe, JASON SOULES what ever happened with him and the organization?

Thanks again.
I don't know where he went, but he retired from pro hockey after the 1991-92 season, his second with the Cape Breton Oilers.

Link

Old
01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
theoil

[QUOTE=GuyF]My understandingis this: Kevin Lowe, as the GM, decides what the team is lacking and expresses his desires the K.P. about what types of players he wants to fill specific holes/needs. K.P. then leads the staff of scouts in finding those types of players. So while it is K.P. who picks the players, it's the type of player that Lowe has asked for.

That's only MY understanding and I could be wrong. That's something I will have to ask Kevin Lowe in the planned interview coming soon (well, in a month or so).

There arre the 2 pro scouts but also K.P. covers both pro and amateur so I guess you could say 3.

Thanks, Guy. I learned a lot from your story and it is appreciated.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:19 PM
theoil

Quote:
All I can say is that you guys and girls are awesome.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I'm glad this is being well received because I honestly feel very proud of it myself.

I spoke with one of the local daily newspapers about this story but they wouldn't look at it until I chopped it back to about 1000 words (it's about 4500 as is here). I told them I couldn't do that without losing a ton of the good stuff. Don't hold that against them, they didn't actually read the story so I'm not taking it as a knock on me. It's a question of room they are willing to give to a bascially unknown freelancer like me.

That's cool, now I know for next time. To be honest, I give the sports editor I talked to a huge tip of the hat for even replying to me (The other paper's editor didn't!)

Thanks again everyone... I'm glad you've all liked it so far.

Guy, as a former editor allow me to offer unsolicited advice. Don', chop the story, offer it as 3 or 4 segments. Find a way to give them their 1,000 words (that is a good size space they are offering) make it a complete story and then leave a tease that will make them want to buy the second and third installment. For a daily it should be possible for them to run it as a 3 part article of 1,000 to 1,250 words per but write them so that each one is discreet and has its own beginning and ending. Good luck.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I don't know where he went, but he retired from pro hockey after the 1991-92 season, his second with the Cape Breton Oilers.

Link
According to published reports way back when, Jason Soules quit hockey to pursue his childhood dream to become a fireman in his hometown of Hamilton. Hard to believe but kudos for following his heart. Another big misstep however for the Oilers.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan

Link
I know what he is doing today, but I don't think I have the right to say, but what I am asking is what happened between him and the organization for him to retire early? Can anyone help on this subject?

Thanks

Rooks Oilers

Old
01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
momentai

Great stuff in this article. It seems absolutely fitting that the best comes last, isn't it?

It is quite the interesting contrast between the two scouting styles and especially the management practices employed by either of the two "leaders" in that regard.

I wonder if Chris ever has nightmares about the botched Tomas Kaberle pick. Yikes. That would be so great for our franchise if we could have taken a flyer on him in the late rounds. I think it's safe to say if he and Kent ever have the same inkling toward another player, we jump on it and jump hard. :p

And yes... Guy. I can't guarantee I won't tell. Those "Sweden" stories tend to leak out you know. LT and I are going to make sure you use those long distance minutes.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Guy, as a former editor allow me to offer unsolicited advice. Don', chop the story, offer it as 3 or 4 segments. Find a way to give them their 1,000 words (that is a good size space they are offering) make it a complete story and then leave a tease that will make them want to buy the second and third installment. For a daily it should be possible for them to run it as a 3 part article of 1,000 to 1,250 words per but write them so that each one is discreet and has its own beginning and ending. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. Now that I know the boundaries, I'll be better able to conform for "the Man!" lol.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
And yes... Guy. I can't guarantee I won't tell. Those "Sweden" stories tend to leak out you know. LT and I are going to make sure you use those long distance minutes.

Ssshhhh... don't blow it for everyone else now... it might be a year end surprise or it mightnot even happen. Just because I have the means to do it now doesn't mean I'm going to just yet...

...and for those of you who don't know what we're talking about... GOOD! time will tell.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Lowetide

So when can we expect this Joukov interview!

Old
01-20-2004, 12:12 AM
IceDragoon

Wow!!!

And at the risk of repeating myself... WOW!!!

You definitely should be proud of this article Guy. It's pure gold.
Quote:
...and for those of you who don't know what we're talking about...
right

Old
01-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
So when can we expect this Joukov interview!

VERY subtle there LT...

Old
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
If God's an Oiler fan...
IF?

As is usual, very good trenchwork GF and nice analysis LT.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Shizuka

Superb work, Guy! Someone please get this guy writing for The Sun at least, and give them *some* credibility

The article also changed my thinking as a fan, in regards to drafting for speed alone. Yes, speed is still a nice thing to have, but not quite as strong a priority for me anymore. We all knew of the Steve Kelly fiasco but when the scouts cite him and go point by point like that, and explain the thought process behind the entire business of scouting...really opens your eyes.

Fantastic work Guy, and thank you to the Oilers for allowing us a look into the scouting aspects of things. That's great to see...

Old
01-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Just thought I'd pass on a quick message. Chris McCarthy emailed me earlier saying that he's checked out everyone's comments....

I only mention this so you guys realize that what you say on these boards (let alone what I write *gulp!*) IS often seen by those who matter!

Just don't expect them to start posting comments here! LOL

Old
01-21-2004, 12:25 AM
theoil

Quote:
Just thought I'd pass on a quick message. Chris McCarthy emailed me earlier saying that he's checked out everyone's comments....

I only mention this so you guys realize that what you say on these boards (let alone what I write *gulp!*) IS often seen by those who matter!

And what makes you think they aren't? It's probably the best way they have to get Georges to listen considering he loves to be on his computer.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:

... those that matter? Guy, you're in danger of falling into suck-up mode.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

lol, I guess I can see how that might sounds as if I was saying that the normal readers don't matter but come on, you know what I meant didn't you? I meant the people in the Oiler org who make serious impact decisions...

Old
01-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
lol, I guess I can see how that might sounds as if I was saying that the normal readers don't matter but come on, you know what I meant didn't you? I meant the people in the Oiler org who make serious impact decisions...
Just goofin' with ya, Guy. Now about those 'normal' readers...

:p

Back to serious, ego-stroke comments. Great job. Thank you. Appreciate all of your hard work. Keep up the good work.

Closed Thread