HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary/Montreal trade rumours heating up?

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 04:19 PM
GhostOfTheForum

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Calgary/Montreal trade rumours heating up?

We've all heard the Perrault for Gauthier trade rumor for weeks. Brought on by injuries to the Flame's roster, mostly centers, it seems that with the recent injury to Stephane Yelle for 4-6 weeks according to TSN then perhaps it might be the straw that breaks the trade deadlock. Even though Conroy is back after missing 19 games it might take a while for him to be back to what he was. To get his legs back and to see if he is 100% might be too long of a wait for Calgary management.

They are on course to make the play-offs and they don't need a slump now. SO...

Perrault could be a short term solution for them. I think with the right linemates he still has skills to help a team and everyone knows his face-off prowess is among the best in the league.

Gauthier, born in 1976, he is just entering a D-Man's prime and he has the size and nastiness that would go well with a young Canadien defence.

So, we move Perrault for Gauthier but do we package some D to go with it? What would it be? Rivet? Boulion? Do we care if Quintal finishes in Montreal, after all we just got him back. Calgary's loss could be Montreal's chance to dump some players for Gauthier and prospects or picks.

What would it take for this deal to happen?

Old
01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
electric

I'm not sure, but... do we really need to make a trade now? The team is in the middle of a streak and is playing better than what we've seen since like eight years, wouldn't a trade risk destabilizing things?

Also, I don't think many of our players have a very high value on the trade market... no one is going to give established players for guys like Perreault or Rivet.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:55 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
I'm not sure, but... do we really need to make a trade now? The team is in the middle of a streak and is playing better than what we've seen since like eight years, wouldn't a trade risk destabilizing things?
yanic wouldnt take any chemistry away from our team, he's helped this team as much as i have sitting my a$$ down on my sofa.
if gainey makes a trade it'll be a small one like this.

Old
01-16-2004, 05:14 PM
BLONG7

Good time for a trade because the team is playing well and you are dealing from a position of strength, meaning you don't have to... deal at all. As long as you do not change the current line-up too much and dealing YP going isn't, then go for it BG!!!

Old
01-16-2004, 06:04 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
yanic wouldnt take any chemistry away from our team, he's helped this team as much as i have sitting my a$$ down on my sofa.
The chemistry may not be affected by Perreault's absence, but the addition of Gauthier may distrupt the dressing room and their chemistry there. Gauthier would be on the top pairing or second pairing (that would cause friction to Quintal or Bouillion), plus defense isn't a weakness we need to be focusing on right now. I would rather see Hainsey in Montreal than Gauthier, but that is just me.

When you are hot you don't fool around with things like dressing room chemistry and commradary. Gainey knows this, if we make a trade it will be at deadline time unless an unbelievable deal falls in Bob's lap...which I doubt.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
NHLcrazy

Gainey would be an idiot if he passed a Perreault (UFA)for Gauthier deal....I don't think it would affect the so called chemistry...

Realisticly it would come down to:
CGYerreault+2nd (or Mid prospect)
for
MTL:Gauthier.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Sigh...

Enough with this rumor that was started by Bruce Garrioch for crying out loud, it's only a Habs fan pipe dream. Sutter will not deal one of his most best and most tradeable assets for a soft, one dimensional, aging, UFA to be, sucks at everything except faceoffs and sometimes wrist shots and is extremely slow player.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Gauthier is a young version of Stephane quintal ..
but faster,bigger(strenght) and nastier !
that being said ...
i'll make this deal any day of my life ..
this is a no-brainer !!
heck i would even trade hainsey straight up for gauthier !!

Old
01-16-2004, 06:18 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
Gauthier is a young version of Stephane quintal ..
but faster,bigger(strenght) and nastier !
that being said ...
i'll make this deal any day of my life ..
this is a no-brainer !!
heck i would even trade hainsey straight up for gauthier !!
I would never trade Hainsey straight up for a number 4 Dman, Calgary would be laughing in the future with Leopold and Hainsey working their PP. Why do we need Gaithier we have toughness in Souray, Quintal and Komisarek not to mention the aggressive play of Bouillion and Rivet...he simply isn't needed.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I would never trade Hainsey straight up for a number 4 Dman, Calgary would be laughing in the future with Leopold and Hainsey working their PP. Why do we need Gaithier we have toughness in Souray, Quintal and Komisarek not to mention the aggressive play of Bouillion and Rivet...he simply isn't needed.
Hainsey attitude is a big concern right now !!
gauthier is already a GOOD #4 defensemen ..
and we dont need hainsey offensive potential when we have markov and souray in front of him ...
+ when come playoff time we always need more toughness and gauthier would be the perfect fit !
Souray - Quintal
Markov - Brisebois
Gauthier - Komisarek
would be one of the top D in our conference right now !!

Old
01-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
Hainsey attitude is a big concern right now !!
gauthier is already a GOOD #4 defensemen ..
and we dont need hainsey offensive potential when we have markov and souray in front of him ...
+ when come playoff time we always need more toughness and gauthier would be the perfect fit !
Souray - Quintal
Markov - Brisebois
Gauthier - Komisarek
would be one of the top D in our conference right now !!
Hainsey & Perrault for Gauthier & 2nd rounder

Old
01-16-2004, 07:11 PM
RE-HABS

Where is everyone getting this BS on an attitude problem with Hainsey? How do you know? :mad:

Old
01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Where is everyone getting this BS on an attitude problem with Hainsey? How do you know? :mad:
and why are you getting this '' i don't want to change anything '' attitude ?the canadians are not final cup team contender , so , every moves that could help are welcome...Yes hainsey have a big potential , but that doesn't mean that he's absolutly a part of our future.Anyway there are surely other avenues to deal for Gauthier...

Gauthier for Perreault /hossa ?

Old
01-16-2004, 07:29 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
and why are you getting this '' i don't want to change anything '' attitude ?the canadians are not final cup team contender , so , every moves that could help are welcome...Yes hainsey have a big potential , but that doesn't mean that he's absolutly a part of our future.Anyway there are surely other avenues to deal for Gauthier...

Gauthier for Perreault /hossa ?
I don't have a problem with change and I never stated any where here that we were Cup contenders!

I just don't think you tinker with somethiing while it works, but if Gainey can swing a deal he simply can't refuse I'm all for it. Gainey will do the right thing, but we have all read and heard that we need a right handed centre and this is from Gainey himself. He is happy with the team every where else and stated he will call players up before making trades.

I would just like to know who ever said publicly media or Montreal organization wise that Hainsey was a problem because of his attitude...it makes no sense because BG wouldn't tolerate it.

I know Perreault will be dealt, but I just don't see us getting Gauthier sorry, he would be a great strength physically for us but like BG said he wants a centre.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:15 PM
chicpea*

Why don't we all just stop beating aroung le shrub and admit that what we really want is Mr. Phaneuf? Surely Perrault would fetch him? He's not even an NHLer yet...

Old
01-16-2004, 09:35 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeAHab
Let's get one thing straight fellas. Gainey has said the only changes he will make will come from within the organization. He has also said that IF he were to acquire a player from another organization it would be from a team who will not make the playoffs and is in a position to dump player salary. He will not give up anyone from the team right now, let alone our young players like Hossa and Hainsey. He basicaly want something for nothing and has all the power and leverage to do so. Sure this team are not contenders at the moment, but look atr how far they've come just from the start of the season to now. They have chemistry and have two very good scoring lines, a very good checking line and a decent fourth line with Ward, Kilger, and Langdon.

The Montreal Canadiens sit 8th overall in the league. No trades are necessary right now. And the scarey thing is they will only get better as the season goes on. Watch and find out. The confidence is building. There is something special brewing in Habland and I'm loving it.

END OF STORY.
i don't care about what Gqainey said because anything could change in this world ;the player that was not available last month , could be now in the market because 1-2 injuries in the team .

I think that what Gainey said was a way to killed all the speculations the medias were doing ;that doesn't mean anything

Old
01-16-2004, 09:40 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i don't care about what Gqainey said because anything could change in this world ;the player that was not available last month , could be now in the market because 1-2 injuries in the team .

I think that what Gainey said was a way to killed all the speculations the medias were doing ;that doesn't mean anything
zactly its as simple as that.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Gauthier would be on the top pairing or second pairing (that would cause friction to Quintal or Bouillion)
Gauthier plays on the left side. He's not better than Souray nor Markov even in his best days (no matter what a few Flames fans could say about it). If Gauthier was brought in, it would mean the end of Bouillon. that's it. It would also mean that probably one of Hainsey or Markov could be traded.

Gauthier is overrated because of his ability to make some spectacular open ice hits, but he'd be nonetheless an excellent 3rd pairing physical Dman and his value is probably much higher than Perreault. I don't think the Flames would be interested in a softy like Yanic even if they had 4 regular centers on the IR. He wouldn't last a day under Sutter.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Sigh...

Enough with this rumor that was started by Bruce Garrioch for crying out loud, it's only a Habs fan pipe dream. Sutter will not deal one of his most best and most tradeable assets for a soft, one dimensional, aging, UFA to be, sucks at everything except faceoffs and sometimes wrist shots and is extremely slow player.
amen

Old
01-17-2004, 03:08 AM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Why don't we all just stop beating aroung le shrub and admit that what we really want is Mr. Phaneuf? Surely Perrault would fetch him? He's not even an NHLer yet...
Anything for him lol
Hossa and perreault

Old
01-17-2004, 04:36 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy
Gainey would be an idiot if he passed a Perreault (UFA)for Gauthier deal....I don't think it would affect the so called chemistry....

Really........... So Savard did the good deal when getting Traverse for Weinrich, and Audette for Rucinsky........ It would have saved a lot of bucks however.......

Letting UFAs go is sometimes the better solution. In fact, nowdays, it is even strongly advised..........

To conclude, I would be happy if Perreault stays for the playoffs (I'm confident we'll make them), and I would be happy if we can get a mid-round pick (3rd-4th) for him. With André Savard and his scouting staff in the organization, these picks are gold for us!!!

Old
01-17-2004, 04:56 AM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Really........... So Savard did the good deal when getting Traverse for Weinrich, and Audette for Rucinsky........ It would have saved a lot of bucks however.......

Letting UFAs go is sometimes the better solution. In fact, nowdays, it is even strongly advised..........

To conclude, I would be happy if Perreault stays for the playoffs (I'm confident we'll make them), and I would be happy if we can get a mid-round pick (3rd-4th) for him. With André Savard and his scouting staff in the organization, these picks are gold for us!!!
If Perrault stays for the play-offs, we get nothing for him as far as I can see he is an UFA. That is why I said Perrault and then throw in some of our guys we need moved.

AS far as ruining the chemistry of the team, wouldn't Komi and Hainsey learn from Gauthier?
Do you think Perrault is happy with his ice time and line position?
Will the smell of the play-offs force Calgary to deal in a weaker position than Montreal?

Gainey does not mention about wanting any defence and is not looking for any. Well, hello, he's got his poker face on. If you wanna give him a great deal then he'll trade for any position even if it is to flip the player to somewhere else.

Right now I think Montreal would be in the driver's seat in a trade with Calgary.

Old
01-17-2004, 05:15 AM
StanAjax

I would happy if Perreault stays or leaves. I don't care. I don't want anything but a pick if he ends up being dealt (or that now famous big right centre.......but, personnally, I don't care if he shoots left ).
I'm not sold on Gauthier at all. I like our D as it is now. Gauthier is better than Traverse, but he's still not what we need. I don't like players like him or Kasparaitis who just get out of position to take a hit. Kasparaitis has improved a lot this year, as he has an astonishing +/- (above +10 last time I cheked). But Gauthier was one of the few minus players in Calgary that time. And the worst defender in that area....
Finally, I'm fine with Bouillon for this year!!!

Old
01-17-2004, 05:32 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I would happy if Perreault stays or leaves. I don't care. I don't want anything but a pick if he ends up being dealt (or that now famous big right centre.......but, personnally, I don't care if he shoots left ).
I'm not sold on Gauthier at all. I like our D as it is now. Gauthier is better than Traverse, but he's still not what we need. I don't like players like him or Kasparaitis who just get out of position to take a hit. Kasparaitis has improved a lot this year, as he has an astonishing +/- (above +10 last time I cheked). But Gauthier was one of the few minus players in Calgary that time. And the worst defender in that area....
Finally, I'm fine with Bouillon for this year!!!
I agree, I'm not a big Gauthier fan. He can lay the body out sure, but other than that he doesn't bring anything else to the team...plus he is geting labeled in the league as a knee on knee hitter.

As for trading Perreault I really don't think there is much of a market out there for him, his skills and talent are in total decline and I would be surprised if he gets UFA contract offers anywhere after the season. Look how long it took Oates and Ronning to sign anywhere! If he does get traded it will truly be a rent-a-player deal to a playoff team with no interest in signing him next season, what will that fetch us? A 5th to 8th rounder?

Old
01-17-2004, 06:20 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
Now, the real question is.... How much do you sit your ass on your sofa???

Closed Thread