HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The most underrated goal scorer of all-time?

Old
12-05-2007, 03:06 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Norm Ullman is a guy that gets overlooked as a goal scorer because he was so damn consistent. He was a top-10 goal scorer nine times in his career.

Roy Conacher is another, he finished top-2 5 times in his career (and missed four years right in his prime due to WWII).

I think Selanne gets shortchanged as a more recent player. He led the league in goals three times which is a rare feat.
ha, i was about to mention all those players. nice ones, pitseleh.

i would also say king clancy, buck boucher (too bad i forgot about him in the draft. ), cleghorn, orr, coffey, potvin.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Mad Habber

Forgotten goal scorers or underrated.

Rick Martin
Danny Gare
Jean Pronovost
Pierre Larouche
Mickey Redmond
Danny Grant
Bill Goldsworthy
Bill Barber
Blaine Stoughton
Dennis Maruk
Guy Chouinard
Steve Payne
Tim Kerr
Al Secord

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
rmchahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Forgotten goal scorers or underrated.

Rick Martin
Danny Gare
Jean Pronovost
Pierre Larouche
Mickey Redmond
Danny Grant
Bill Goldsworthy
Bill Barber
Blaine Stoughton
Dennis Maruk
Guy Chouinard
Steve Payne
Tim Kerr
Al Secord
I wouldn't say that Barber is underrated as he is the only one of this group that's in the hhof.

Larouche was the first player to score 50 goals for for 2 different teams and almost scored 50 for a third team when he finished with 48 for the Rangers.

Some of the other players on this list - I'm not sure whether they were underrated - few of them had one or two career years, but that's about it.

rmchahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
I wouldn't say that Barber is underrated as he is the only one of this group that's in the hhof.

Larouche was the first player to score 50 goals for for 2 different teams and almost scored 50 for a third team when he finished with 48 for the Rangers.

Some of the other players on this list - I'm not sure whether they were underrated - few of them had one or two career years, but that's about it.
Some of those guys were well known at the time, but are mostly forgotten nowadays.

Rick MacLeish is another that comes to mind.
When people talk about former Flyers great, they are more likely to talk about Clarke, Leach, and skip to the more recent names.

When I hear the name Barber, I mostly hear it coupled with the words "art of diving" and even "obvious dives". There was a lot more to his game than the dives, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

What does Larouche in, the two 50 goals seasons are scored with Mtl where there are so many greats that he pales in comparison and Pittsbugh where future glories of the team and some of its players obsucres past accomplishments of the Larouche, Pronovost, Lowell MacDonald line with the secondary scoring of Syl Apps, Ron Schock, Ron Stackhouse etc. That Ranger team was also a pretty bad team, so he may have been close to 50 goals with three different teams but not having any longevity with the same team might leave him a little forgotten.

Just personal observation is all. Feel free to disagree.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote