HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Refing Question

Old
12-05-2007, 10:13 AM
TomWaits

vCash: 500
Refing Question

I need the help of the HFboards Refing community.

Last night in my men's league we pulled the goalie and there was a draw in their end. We lose the draw the opposition shoots the puck down the ice no icing. The ref called no icing. We were not on a powerplay and it easily reached our end boards.

The ref explained it that there is no icing off the draw. Has anyone ever heard of that before? I will apologize to the ref if I am wrong but certainly I have never heard this before.

If you could site a rulebook number for me I would appreciate that.

thanks in advance

TomWaits

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Gino 14

If you're using USAH rules, it's rule 620

Quote:
(c) If, however, the puck shall go beyond the goal line in the
opposite half of the ice directly from either of the players
while facing-off, it shall not be considered a violation of this
rule.
The ref was correct, no icing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
MeHateHe

vCash: 50
Yeah, Hockey Canada's rules - which your rec league is no doubt using - are similar. But the key is that the puck has to go down the ice straight off the draw. Your description makes it sound like the draw happened, then one of your opponent's players shot the puck down the ice. That's clearly icing and should be called as such.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
Yeah, Hockey Canada's rules - which your rec league is no doubt using - are similar. But the key is that the puck has to go down the ice straight off the draw. Your description makes it sound like the draw happened, then one of your opponent's players shot the puck down the ice. That's clearly icing and should be called as such.
I see your point too. I was under the impression that the oppositions center was the player that sent the puck down the ice, not another player from the opposition. If another player sent it down, icing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
That's how I read it and I agree with the assessment.

Somewhat off-topic and something that not many players I've officiated know, is that blocked shots are not icing if the puck goes all the way down the ice.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
I knew that blocked shots aren't icing....but, I definitely didn't know about that puck straight down the ice off a faceoff...have to keep that in mind

Canadian Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 02:19 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Somewhat off-topic and something that not many players I've officiated know, is that blocked shots are not icing if the puck goes all the way down the ice.
Never had possession, right?

I'm assuming that the faceoff rule is similar, no? ie. If the centre knocks it down the ice off the draw, it's no icing, but if he boxes out the other and gains control of the puck, and then shoots it down the ice, it would be icing. Correct/incorrect?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Stripes

Rule 65 (Hockey Canada)...

Should any player of a team, equal or superior in numerical strength to the opposing team, shoot, "bat" or deflect the puck from her own half of the ice, beyond the goal line of the opposing team, play shall be stopped and the puck faced-off at the end zone face-off spot of the offending team.

Of course, linesmen can still use their judgment and wave off icing in certain situations, such as a defending player taking the man instead of the puck, going for a line change instead of pursuing the puck or simply being lazy in his pursuit. My rule of thumb as a linesman is that if I can beat the puck to the goal line, it isn't icing.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote