HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Want This Team To Get Noticed?

Old
12-05-2007, 12:47 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I always thought Mike Tyson at RW for a game would fill the house, well at least when he was in his prime. He would, of course, wear his boxing gloves.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:16 AM
RyanMac

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
I think Cherry is hilarious, but if you let him coach he would bench Ovechkin and Semin then pick Recchi off waivers and ask Joe Nieuwendyk out of retirement.

And Tie Domi would be his assistant.

12-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
He's reformed over the years.

BTW, Don Cherry has more recent experience as a coach, and for all intents and purposes as GM/owner as well.

He ran, owned, and created the Mississuagua Ice Dogs in the OHL in the late 90's. They broke the record for worst ever season in his first year as owner(GM) doing worse than even the Caps record setting first year with a 4-56-8 record. Followed that beauty up with a 9-56-3 season, then took a step back and re-set the record for the worst season ever with a 3-56-9 campaign. All that after 2 #1 picks and priority selection for the expansion year prior to that as well in the OHL entry draft for god's sake, in junior hockey the cycle of basement-to-contender is 2-4 years and he managed to make the Ice Dogs worse than the worst ever (his own team) after a couple of seasons.

So after that smashing success, and after hiring and firing 5 coaches in his first 3 seasons running the org, he decided to step behind the bench himself. They were much improved ; went 11-47-10 on route to a 4th straight last place finish in the OHL and a 4 straight first round pick. At that point he finally got out of the junior hockey game and with a real GM calling the shots, a new coach - they made the playoffs for the first time.

That is the kind of resume one can proudly hope to get back behind an NHL bench or GM's chair with right nintendowii?

He did draft the no-brainer Jason Spezza with one of his first overall picks, though later Spezza quietly demanded a trade so he could play a bloody playoff game before his junior career was over and have a real coach for once.

His other brilliant theory, to get back to his nationalistic phobias - it was during this time that the CHL first began allowing import players from Europe. Don Cherry was steaming mad that the CHL, the primary development league for Canadian hockey, would allow Europeans to take up 2-3 spots on each team that otherwise would go to good Canadian lads. So...he did the logical thing, he refused to let Europeans play for the Ice Dogs, refused to draft Europeans in the import draft. Worked out well for him. The Ice-Dogs did change that policy when he stepped out from behind the bench and stopped trying to GM the team, thank god. And Oscar Osala did end up playing for them.

Cherry's group sold the team a while back, now moved to Niagra.

Anway - this thread

don't forget the Robbie Schremp fiasco!

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 07:51 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
At least you can say "Nintendo Wii" is innovative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I always thought Mike Tyson at RW for a game would fill the house, well at least when he was in his prime. He would, of course, wear his boxing gloves.
I think he'd bite off more than he could chew.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
HockeyEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendowii View Post
GET DON CHERRY AS THE GM.

simple as that.

or ask don cherry to coach ONE game, for the caps, if the season is a wash, and its clear we are out of the playoff race, we should ask Don Cherry for one game, to coach the caps for a publicity stunt.

It would work great for the Caps, to get them noticed and talked about.
Call NBC and ask them whether anyone "noticed" when Cherry made his North American TV debut this spring.

HockeyEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Why don't we just get a sumo wrestler to play goaltender for a game, or let dikembe mutombo play defense for a game. Hell, lets let a monkey coach the rest of the season.

All of those things would get just as much publicity as any of your ideas, and they are all just about as stupid.

This is one of the worst post's in the history of hfboards.
+1

Don Cherry is a bombastic, malevolent moron.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Foy

I am embarassed that two of the 5 worst threads in the history of HF are on the front page of the Caps' boards right now.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
ovechkin plays a more "north american" style game than some other russians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
So Don Cherry only hates Russians who play like Russians, but he likes Russians who play like North Americans?

grapes hates the "euro style".

extra credit for euro style players who were a face shield.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyEh View Post
Call NBC and ask them whether anyone "noticed" when Cherry made his North American TV debut this spring.

someone should call nbc and ask if anybody noticed the stanley cup playoffs in general, much less grapes.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I am embarassed that two of the 5 worst threads in the history of HF are on the front page of the Caps' boards right now.

Pshh....you should read the other boards more frequently. These are nothing compared to others I've seen.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
bwahahahahahhahahahahahaha how did i miss this gem of a thread!?!

don cherry

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 03:23 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Voted by? Is there a list or something? Where did you get this data? I can has link?

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
It's amazing what a five day break between games results in.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie
"They broke the record for worst ever season in his first year as owner(GM) doing worse than even the Caps record setting first year with a 4-56-8 record. Followed that beauty up with a 9-56-3 season, then took a step back and re-set the record for the worst season ever with a 3-56-9 campaign."
this literally had me in tears from laughing so hard

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
grapes hates the "euro style".

extra credit for euro style players who were a face shield.

Does he hate North Americans that play like Russians?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Don Cherry is still stuck in the 70's and that's fine. Hockey could use a few more characters to help promote the game.

I think the team has decided to get noticed by having the crappiest ice in the league. Soon there will be swim meets after the games. Thanks to Chris Clark - it's about time a player spoke out against it. The ice at the old cap centre was bad, but never the worst in the league. MSG had the honor, not its us. This is inexcusible for such a new arena and an owner trying to build a winner.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote