HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Hossa UFA

Old
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Marian Hossa UFA

Hossa can walk after this year. Anyone think JD will clear enough salary to sign him?

Any other UFAs of interest? Mats Sundin would be a great signing for two year to replace Weight and ease in the kids.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:01 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Hossa can walk after this year. Anyone think JD will clear enough salary to sign him?

Any other UFAs of interest? Mats Sundin would be a great signing for two year to replace Weight and ease in the kids.
I would love to have Hossa.

Lets look at it like this....IB can correct me if I'm wrong on some of the contracts. Hopefully we'll have these contracts off of our books by next year.

Doug Weight....3.5 mil.
Martin Ruchinsky...3 mil.
Petr Cajanek....2 mil.
Bryce Salvador....1.5 mil.
Ryan Johnson.....800k
Mike Johnson.....755k
and I think after this year we lose Drakes cap hit.
So realistically there is money there, do they want to put it all into one player? I don't know.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post

Lets look at it like this....IB can correct me if I'm wrong on some of the contracts. Hopefully we'll have these contracts off of our books by next year.

Doug Weight....3.5 mil.
Petr Cajanek....2 mil.
Ryan Johnson.....800k
Mike Johnson.....755k
So realistically there is money there, do they want to put it all into one player? I don't know.
Use the cap hits, not the salaries.

12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:

Doug Weight....3.5 mil.
Petr Cajanek....2 mil.
Ryan Johnson.....800k
Mike Johnson.....755k
I don't think we will let RJ walk. Infact I think he will get a raise. Also, Jackman will be due for a raise and McClement will be an RFA.

When does Hinotes contract come off the books?

Also, does anyone else want the team to move McKee? He has too large a cap hit for this team and doesn't do enough to earn it.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:09 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:

Doug Weight....3.5 mil.
Petr Cajanek....2 mil.
Ryan Johnson.....800k
Mike Johnson.....755k
Don't forget possibly, Oshie and Berglund's contracts on the books taking over for Weight and Rucinsky next year.

Plus, a lot of players salary's jump next year from this year. Tkachuck, Brewer, Backman, Legace, Stempniak, Mayers, (not sure what the cap hit is exactly)

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I don't think we will let RJ walk. Infact I think he will get a raise. Also, Jackman will be due for a raise and McClement will be an RFA.

When does Hinotes contract come off the books?

Also, does anyone else want the team to move McKee? He has too large a cap hit for this team and doesn't do enough to earn it.
I would like to see RJ back on the 4th line as well...but with King/Mayers/Hinote on the 4th line...is there room? Because I don't think any of those guys should be on the 3rd line...I guess one of the 4 could sit every night, plus you have injuries.

Hinote contract ends at the end of the 2008-2009 season.

I want the team to move Jackman, McKee and Brewer...though I just don't see Jay or Eric being moved.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 12-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old
12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
funktasticblues93

Ok well according to Mr. IB's glorious website. Keep in mind this is projected, baring any re-signings and what not. The Blues expected team salary will be 33,557,500 for 08-09 correct?

Last edited by funktasticblues93: 12-05-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old
12-05-2007, 12:19 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Yeah I looked at the players salaries jumping next year
Than I agree, if after all that JD thinks we can still afford Hossa and move some players around to make it work...bring him on!!

Old
12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Bluester

Also there's a very good chance the cap will jump again. How high though is anyones guess.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
concept*

We might have to pull a Kariya to get him here, though.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
funktasticblues93

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
We might have to pull a Kariya to get him here, though.
As in stalk him? or slightly overpay? Hossa is going to demand close to the max, he's not even 30 yet, someone is going to offer him a 6+yr contract.

Old
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Metallian*

Jarmo will be pushing for it, that's a given

I hope he ends up here

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Rush11

What do you guys think it will take to sign Hossa? 7mil for 3 or 4 years?

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Robb_K

Based on the attendance figures so far, the cap should have another significant rise next season. It's likely that The Blues COULD fit Hossa into their cap IF they are willing to make the necessary adjustments. Whether or not they could lure him to St. Louis, or would want to pay him what he'll require at the end of a bidding war is another question.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
kimzey59

No thank you on Hossa.

The Blues appear to be relatively set on wing for a long time with Kariya, Boyes, Stempniak, Perron, Backes and Oshie.

If we're going to grab a veteran player, I'd rather it be somebody like Rolston(JMO but I think if JD does any playing in UFA's this summer that Rolston will his primary target), Langkow, Legwand, Sundin or Fedorov(though definately not at his current rate) to give us a legit 1-2 punch at center. IF we're going to be committing that much money to a UFA, go after somebody who is a true fit for our team's needs.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:22 PM
St.Louis sports fan

Hey guys, any interest in trading for Patrick Marleau. He's having a down year for whatever reason so maybe SJ would be willing to part with him?

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
HockeyHippie

Agreed on Hossa. I like Rolston a lot. Also Langkow. Big NO on Fedorov, he is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
No thank you on Hossa.

The Blues appear to be relatively set on wing for a long time with Kariya, Boyes, Stempniak, Perron, Backes and Oshie.

If we're going to grab a veteran player, I'd rather it be somebody like Rolston(JMO but I think if JD does any playing in UFA's this summer that Rolston will his primary target), Langkow, Legwand, Sundin or Fedorov(though definately not at his current rate) to give us a legit 1-2 punch at center. IF we're going to be committing that much money to a UFA, go after somebody who is a true fit for our team's needs.

HockeyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
BluesDarb

Hossa would make this team lightyears better.

That being said, it ain't gonna happen.

JD will sign someone, actually probably several someones, but I don't think it'll be Hossa.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:03 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
No thank you on Hossa.

Isn't Rolston a left wing? Not to mention he's 34 years old and has been very average in the playoffs. He'll have maybe 1 or 2 more productive years offensively, defensively he'l be a stalwart as always, but it won't be enough, given the 3.5-4 million he'll command as a UFA next year. He'd basically be Rucinsky minus the injuries.

I think Hossa would be the perfect fit. He's the offensive catalyst that this team has been lacking for a long time, a true and true 40+ goal scorer, in his prime at 28 years old, and with at least 3-5 years of great offensive production. He's very effective in the playoffs as well, except for last year which was really his only bad playoff year. His contract will be prohibitive, probably over 8 million per year, but as described above, there should be enough cap room to sign him. Not to mention he'd look great while flanking Berglund along with Oshie and will help to ease the transition for those two rookies to the NHL. Boyes, Kariya and Tkachuk will do their thing on the 1st line while Stempniak, Perron and Backes will make a great 3rd scoring line. Jay-Mac, Mayers and RJ/King will make a formidable 4th/checking/energy line.

At least that's what I'd like to happen.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Isn't Rolston a left wing? Not to mention he's 34 years old and has been very average in the playoffs. He'll have maybe 1 or 2 more productive years offensively, defensively he'l be a stalwart as always, but it won't be enough, given the 3.5-4 million he'll command as a UFA next year. He'd basically be Rucinsky minus the injuries.

1) Rolston plays all 3 forward positions effectively and his style is a perfect match for an AM center.

2) Rolston now is better than Rucinsky has ever been.

Quote:
I think Hossa would be the perfect fit. He's the offensive catalyst that this team has been lacking for a long time, a true and true 40+ goal scorer, in his prime at 28 years old, and with at least 3-5 years of great offensive production. He's very effective in the playoffs as well, except for last year which was really his only bad playoff year. His contract will be prohibitive, probably over 8 million per year, but as described above, there should be enough cap room to sign him. Not to mention he'd look great while flanking Berglund along with Oshie and will help to ease the transition for those two rookies to the NHL. Boyes, Kariya and Tkachuk will do their thing on the 1st line while Stempniak, Perron and Backes will make a great 3rd scoring line. Jay-Mac, Mayers and RJ/King will make a formidable 4th/checking/energy line.

At least that's what I'd like to happen.

1) In your scenario the 3rd line has no center at all. Stempy, Perron and Backes are all wingers.

2) I would much rather put Berglund with Stempy and Backes and let him earn his way up the ranks as opposed to handing him the #2 center spot.

3) I am very interested in seeing if Oshie and Perron have any chemistry together. If those two could click they'd have the potential to be one of the top offensive pairings in the entire league.

4) I also do not want too many more long term contracts on the books. Handing out the kind of deals you're talking about WILL keep us from locking up our youngsters at some point down the road. Hossa is a fine player, but you'll have to do a lot of convincing to tell me that he is that much better than Boyes, Stempy, Oshie, Berglund, Backes and Perron to give a massive deal that will cost one of that quartet.

5) Hossa is not a "catalyst", he is a finisher. He is a good finisher, but he does not have the playmaking skills to qualify as a "catalyst".

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Blue Sur

Considering the apparent shortage of top-end UFA material available in June, as well as the yearly heat-related loss of judgment, Hossa would be wooed from left and right and center, with offers too large for a small mind to grasp. While the Blues will be relieved of some big salaries, they still need players to replace them, so throwing out 7-8 million to one, however dangerous and effective, scorer might not prove too wise. Many of us hope Oshie, Berglund and Co. will effectively take over those free spots, but it might be good to seek one or two guys in the 1.5-3 million range who'd help the offense behind Kariya, Tkachuk and Boyes.

Just a couple cents spinning in cyberspace.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 06:00 AM
execwrite

Quote:
No thank you on Hossa.

Kariya is only here two more years. Backes isn't a top six forward. Oshie can play center.

Boyes, Stempniak, Perron and Hossa would make a great set of wingers for the top two lines.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Kariya is only here two more years. Backes isn't a top six forward. Oshie can play center.

Boyes, Stempniak, Perron and Hossa would make a great set of wingers for the top two lines.
Not to mention we might lose Boyes next summer.

Old
12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
concept*

Quote:
As in stalk him? or slightly overpay? Hossa is going to demand close to the max, he's not even 30 yet, someone is going to offer him a 6+yr contract.
I meant it as "get his brother to come here first." Haha..

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

Quote:
No thank you on Hossa.

Agreed, priority should be a center that fits AMs system so we can play Oshie at RW. Otherwise you're counting on BOTH Berglund and Oshie at center for a notoriously demanding coach regarding said position. Both look like great fits at center even in AMs system, but I wouldn't want to bank on that. My own preference would be Langkow but if Rolstons a better fit........+ on paying big dollars only if it's a true fit. With Walt being 35/36 and in the last year of his deal next season and McClement not being suited to 1st or 2nd center, it would be nice to bridge the gap to Berglund,Eller with a veteran for a year or two even if it's costing us big money.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote