HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perron's laces cut!

Old
12-05-2007, 04:09 AM
General Veers

vCash: 500
Perron's laces cut!

I just got done listening to Walt being interviewed on Kerb's weekly podcast. I have to admit, part of me was shocked to hear someone cut Dave's skate laces because he was late, which in turn made him even MORE late. But the other half of me isn't shocked because it fits into our teams new "accountability at ALL costs" approach to player development. I guess to me, the lace sabotage is the teams version of AM's "healthy scratch".

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Metallian*

or you could cut the bush league crap and just tell him he's scratched

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

rookie hazing...nothing more.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
rookie hazing...nothing more.
Maybe - but it seems to be a little late in the season for that. It doesn't even strike me as a healthy practical joke.

I don't think the timing is good at all. With the kid messing up (The whole team meeting thing) and sitting for a couple of games it comes at a brutal time for his development.

It was important to hold him accountable and send him a message for what happened and I have no problem with that. But all of this extra stuff seems a little much.

Maybe the Blues should loan him to Team Canada and see if that helps him get back on track.

Technical question: Can a player be sent back to the "Q" this late in the game?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
it's rookie hazing. JR had a blog about this, it was before Peron was scratched for consecutive games. The team got a good laugh.

To answer your question Mike Jones, this little tidbit was in JR's morning skate tuesday.

"If Perron is out of the Blues’ lineup Friday in Edmonton, there’s a good chance he’ll be headed to the World Juniors. Keep this in mind: I was told by a reporter who covers the WJs regularly that when a player is sent by his NHL team to play in the tournament, more times than not they go back to their Junior hockey team after the tournament instead of returning to the NHL. Perron could be the exception, but I’m told that is the trend."

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
it's rookie hazing. JR had a blog about this, it was before Peron was scratched for consecutive games. The team got a good laugh.

To answer your question Mike Jones, this little tidbit was in JR's morning skate tuesday.

"If Perron is out of the Blues’ lineup Friday in Edmonton, there’s a good chance he’ll be headed to the World Juniors. Keep this in mind: I was told by a reporter who covers the WJs regularly that when a player is sent by his NHL team to play in the tournament, more times than not they go back to their Junior hockey team after the tournament instead of returning to the NHL. Perron could be the exception, but I’m told that is the trend."
Thank you for the response. It's much appreciated. I didn't know if a player could be returned after a certain number of games.

I still think it's late in the season for hazing. The teams I have known normally do that sort of thing once a player makes the team out of training camp. I thought the idea was to get it out of your system so you could focus on the season.

Old
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
General Veers

Why not just make him take the vets to Shannon's for steaks? Or make him bring in Krispy Kremes for the whole team and front office? Why prevent him from getting on the ice as soon as possible? I say don't affect his game, dent his pocket book. If he thinks he's got it made with the 10 game issue passed, make him spend his money on the team, and then finish EVERY check on his ass in practice.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
We talked to him about it,” Murray said. “There’s going to be moments (when he needs to sit and watch).”

Perron had an interesting day Tuesday. He is living at a downtown hotel now and thought that practice was at the Mills. So he drove 25 minutes to practice only to find the place dark. There was traffic both ways on Highway 70, so by the time he got to Scottrade Center, the team already had its meetings.

“We just had a session about how you handle yourself as a pro,” Murray said about a previous meeting with Perron, in which he told the rookie, “You’re a young guy and you’re going to have those moments, but it’s my job to remind you. Do everything the right way. Then he misses the meeting.”

Perron showed up after the meetings, but in time to get dressed with the rest of the players. Then came the prank you knew was coming.

“The guys cut his laces,” Murray said laughing. “He’s in there throwing his gear on, red in the face, sweat is pouring, goes to put his skates on and (snap).”

The team busted up laughing.

“We all knew his laces were cut,” D.J. King said. “He’s in a go-go-go situation. We’re all watching him as he’s lacing them and then all the sudden he’s like ‘Oh man.’ We started laughing and he said, ‘What’s funny.’ I said, ‘Your laces are cut, that’s what is funny.’”

12-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Blueski

There is nothing wrong with some rookie hazing during the season. A practical joke can lighten the mood without the team losing focus. It happens all the time in other sports, especially on the successful teams. I bet he isn't late to practice agian either! Hell, baseball players play jokes during games for crying out loud. There is nothing to get up in arms about here.

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
lemieux32*

Actually it's not rookie hazing, but simply practical jokes. They get played on almost everyone all season long.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Why not just make him take the vets to Shannon's for steaks? Or make him bring in Krispy Kremes for the whole team and front office? Why prevent him from getting on the ice as soon as possible? I say don't affect his game, dent his pocket book. If he thinks he's got it made with the 10 game issue passed, make him spend his money on the team, and then finish EVERY check on his ass in practice.
Krispy Kremes and Walt....PASS!!!

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Hockey5391

he shouldnt of been late then he deserved it

Hockey5391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Actually it's not rookie hazing, but simply practical jokes. They get played on almost everyone all season long.
There are practical jokes and then there's f**king around with the tools of someone's trade. Do you take a carpenter's hammer and saw through the handle? Have you ever ripped a doctor's stethoscope from around her neck and toss it into the garbage can?

Yeah, he missed a meeting and should be held accountable. I have no problem with that. But there are jokes that work and jokes that bomb completely. If I'm getting ready for practice and someone cuts my laces then I'm pissed at my laughing team mates.

Not all laughter works for the best.

Old
12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Blueski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
There are practical jokes and then there's f**king around with the tools of someone's trade. Do you take a carpenter's hammer and saw through the handle? Have you ever ripped a doctor's stethoscope from around her neck and toss it into the garbage can?

Yeah, he missed a meeting and should be held accountable. I have no problem with that. But there are jokes that work and jokes that bomb completely. If I'm getting ready for practice and someone cuts my laces then I'm pissed at my laughing team mates.

Well, I guess that since none of us are in the NHL, then we don't understand the culture and that practical jokes are a part of such a culture. He knew why they cut his laces, and there isn't anything else that was done. "Oh, boohoo, my laces broke. Hey Bert, I need new laces, thanks."

And no, I am sure they don't saw through a carpenter's hammer, but they do coat them in grease or something, I have seen it done, funny as hell. They clean it off, get back to work, and wait until they can get their revenge.

My guess is that Perron is waiting for someone to be lower than he is on the totem pole so that he can do that to them when they miss a meeting. No harm, no foul.

My advice to you, just lighten up, be happy that the players are happy and playing well. Things like this build unity and comradere (spelled right, I looked it up ).

Old
12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski View Post
My advice to you, just lighten up, be happy that the players are happy and playing well. Things like this build unity and comradere (spelled right, I looked it up ).
I am "lightened up". I've even been known to "chill" the odd time.

I've just seen too many practical jokes go wrong (I've been on both sides of the equation) and mess situations up completely.

The kid's 19 and under a lot of stress. One of those players is lucky they didn't have to go visit a doctor with a hockey stick where the sun don't shine.

Explain that to the coach and media...

Old
12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Blueski

Quote:

I've just seen too many practical jokes go wrong (I've been on both sides of the equation) and mess situations up completely.

The kid's 19 and under a lot of stress. One of those players is lucky they didn't have to go visit a doctor with a hockey stick where the sun don't shine.

Oh, I have been on the wrong end of a lot of practical jokes, and yes, they don't always go as you planned.

I understand that, but I believe in the locker room environment, this is kinda expected. I am sure he even expected it. I wouldn't have cut the laces though, shaving cream inside the boot or gloves would have been much more fun...lol

And if he was under that much stress, he wouldn't even be here now. They would have relieved him of that stress and sent him back to juniors with the other kids. Plus, he would have a lot more problems than broken shoe laces if he tried the stick thing...lol

What I am saying is that even if we think it was out of line to cut his laces, obviously the team (coach included) didn't think anything of it. It is actually a stress reliever. They all had a good laugh, lightened their own moods, and got back to work.

Old
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Plus, he would have a lot more problems than broken shoe laces if he tried the stick thing...lol
Would have been a piece of cake. Twist has been gone for years now.

Old
12-05-2007, 08:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
Sounds great, but they should spare the alcohol.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:

You have some issues with fits of rage, it seems.

It was a joke on the kid....nothing more, nothing less.

Frankly, I think you might have some sand in a bodily oriface...do clean it out.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:

Hmmm, they have been cutting laces in all pro sports for decades. Putting shaving cream in gloves, shoes and skates. Hell they even cut up peoples clothes. It's part of the culture and everyone knows it and everyone has a laugh.

You must be an absolute joy to have as a teammate.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Hmmm, they have been cutting laces in all pro sports for decades. Putting shaving cream in gloves, shoes and skates. Hell they even cut up peoples clothes. It's part of the culture and everyone knows it and everyone has a laugh.

You must be an absolute joy to have as a teammate.
There's something wrong with expecting maturity and professionalism from your team mates? This is the NHL. It's not Grade six. If there's a rookie on the team who's struggling to make the adjustment to the big team you don't just play silly pranks and bench them until they draw their pensions. Somebody has to step forward and mentor the new kids. That's what builds winning teams. The entire team is at fault when players miss meetings and practices. The entire team is at fault when players go to the wrong location for a practice. You make sure everybody's looked after.

So yes, I am a joy to have in the locker room. And I lock up my stuff whenever I turn my back.

Old
12-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Coins

Quote:
There's something wrong with expecting maturity and professionalism from your team mates? This is the NHL. It's not Grade six. If there's a rookie on the team who's struggling to make the adjustment to the big team you don't just play silly pranks and bench them until they draw their pensions. Somebody has to step forward and mentor the new kids. That's what builds winning teams. The entire team is at fault when players miss meetings and practices. The entire team is at fault when players go to the wrong location for a practice. You make sure everybody's looked after.

So yes, I am a joy to have in the locker room. And I lock up my stuff whenever I turn my back.
They make stuff for you...its called Prozac.

Coins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Someone played a practical joke on your spell-checker.

Camaraderie:
- Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.
- The quality of affording easy familiarity and sociability.

This whole deal is really nothing to get worked up about. Perron came advertised as an extremely self-confident kid. If anything, he probably appreciated the antics as a sign that he's "one of the guys," so to speak.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coins View Post
They make stuff for you...its called Prozac.
Prozac? That's so 90's...