HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would win: Dean Brown or Bruce Garrioch?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 05:56 PM
HF2002

vCash: 500
Who would win: Dean Brown or Bruce Garrioch?

If you had the "pleasure" of listening to these two in the pregame show you would have heard them have a little argument. Dean Brown seemed to be genuinely ticked off at Garrioch on more than one occasion, and then he made a comment after they came back from a break by saying something to the effect that "I always hog the mic" - which made me think that off air Garrioch whined about how he wasn't given a good enough chance for a rebuttal in their argument.

My question is who do you think would win in a fight between the two? Both guys are a little bit on the larger side, and both guys are probably not in great shape.

My pick would be Dean Brown. Garrioch just seems a little soft judging by his crying tonight on the radio. I figure Brown would get just as worked up as Garrioch sometimes does, but he would be able to back up his trash talking a little more.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:25 PM
montysens

Send a message via Skype™ to montysens
Garrioch is a joke, he would get his but kicked in, large!

Old
01-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Puck
Ninja

I think Brown and Wilson are more comfortable in front of the microphone and more gregarious than the print reporters who are probably more comfortable fighting with their keyboards. Gord Wilson also goes after the Sun scribes.

I say Brown and Wilson will more often win the war of words on the radio vs Garrioch and Stevenson although Stevenson can hold his own if he gets angry enough.

In a wrestling match, at the CC, locked in a cage doin' the Royal Rumble, I give Brown the edge by a mile over Garrioch, but Garrioch might just slip him a 'Havlat' in the gonads while he's down.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:20 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
I think it's more that they are sick and tired of Garrioch spewing negatively charged donut crumbs at players constantly and his ridiculous trade proposal's. People were calling in after the game as well to more or less tell Garrioch to chill out and let the players play. Only problem with that...it doesn't sell news papers.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:23 AM
HF2002

I suppose that a guy like Garrioch is university educated whereas the others have, at best, college radio and tv diplomas - not that there's anything wrong with that. Hockey players turned broadcasters probably have even less. I guess there's probably a sense of superiority over the others by Garrioch and some of the print media, especially when Dean Brown repeats the same point for ten minutes(like last night) and holds on to it like it's a million dollars. I have noticed that over the years, Brown hates to be wrong and he'll argue a point forever, and even hang up on someone he disagrees with to continue the argument without a chance of rebuttal.

Everyone calls these guys and asks them what their opinion is, and after 10 years they probably believe that they're always right and know exactly what it takes for the Sens to win. Throw in a disagreement, factor in that these guys live in a world of repetitive questions and answers, and I suppose every once in a while you get cranky. Either way, I'd rather listen to these get angry with each other and argue then have them sit there and tell us how things should be.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:28 AM
Senators4Stanley

Garrioch the goat

I was listening to the pre game show as I sometimes do and really can't stand Bruce. Such a whinny voice, I think its just a matter of timebefore Deaner actually goes over and clocks Bruce. Did anybody catch the part where Bruce was reliving the chat he had with Muckler about what to do with Bonk. The guy has no idea. Hes a moron and I hate that I read his articles.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:53 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators4Stanley
I was listening to the pre game show as I sometimes do and really can't stand Bruce. Such a whinny voice, I think its just a matter of timebefore Deaner actually goes over and clocks Bruce. Did anybody catch the part where Bruce was reliving the chat he had with Muckler about what to do with Bonk. The guy has no idea. Hes a moron and I hate that I read his articles.
I didn't have a chance to hear the Bruce visa-vis Muckler/Bonk incident........what'd I miss?

Old
01-14-2004, 09:57 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
I didn't have a chance to hear the Bruce visa-vis Muckler/Bonk incident........what'd I miss?
Apparently Garrioch was either seen or overheard basically telling John Muckler how to do his job. Bruce suggested to Muckler that he offer Bonk a paycut as a litmus test to see whether or not Bonk will likely to file for arbitration this summer. He then suggested to Muckler that if he doesn't accept the paycut, that he be traded. Dean was calling Bruce out on the radio during their pre-game hotstove, with good reason. Who the hell is Garrioch to be sticking his nose into Mucks biz, and at that continue his blatent cheerleading for a Bonk ousting? Dean pretty much cut him down a notch on air, making a good point in saying that there is no sweet way in hell Bonk is going to take a paycut because he's still relatively young, realizing that the NHL is a business and will go to where the money is regardless. Obviously and realistically these days we hardly ever see a player stay with a club for a whole career, let alone the majority of one.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:26 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
Apparently Garrioch was either seen or overheard basically telling John Muckler how to do his job. Bruce suggested to Muckler that he offer Bonk a paycut as a litmus test to see whether or not Bonk will likely to file for arbitration this summer. He then suggested to Muckler that if he doesn't accept the paycut, that he be traded. Dean was calling Bruce out on the radio during their pre-game hotstove, with good reason. Who the hell is Garrioch to be sticking his nose into Mucks biz, and at that continue his blatent cheerleading for a Bonk ousting? Dean pretty much cut him down a notch on air, making a good point in saying that there is no sweet way in hell Bonk is going to take a paycut because he's still relatively young, realizing that the NHL is a business and will go to where the money is regardless. Obviously and realistically these days we hardly ever see a player stay with a club for a whole career, let alone the majority of one.
That would explain why Muckler feeds Garrioch garbage to print knowing full well the next day the real story will come out.

That's some kind of funny!

Old
01-14-2004, 02:36 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
That would explain why Muckler feeds Garrioch garbage to print knowing full well the next day the real story will come out.

That's some kind of funny!
No kidding. I'm sorry, but I can't stand listening to Garrioch. He's got a wealth of information to share, but instead loves the limelight when the mic is on and feels inclined to stutter in "I.. I... I... " before every damn thing he says. We know he doesn't have a speech impediment, so in the words of Adam Sandler: " T.. T... T... Today Junior!!!". No wonder a no-nonsense guy like Mucks doesn't have much patience with him.

Jeez.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Senators4Stanley

Deaner in a landslide

Too funny! So many Garrioch haters! The guy jsut screams weasel. Telling the GM how to run his team, truly unbelievable. The answer to the question which I failed to address in the first place, who would win, Deaner or Brucy, Thats simple. Unless Garrioch slides in a cheap shot to the groin or an eye, Dean would overpower that weiner before he could fart twice.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senators4Stanley
The guy jsut screams weasel.
I'm sure that is an insult to weasels everywhere.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Unlike most posters, I find Brown much worse. He'll go on forever and truly "hog" the microphone without making a point, and constantly interupts the other guys on the panel. Wilson also tends to go on, although he's not nearly as irritating. Brown calls the games well, but that's about where my time for him ends.

Garrioch is a little too whiney, but at least he has an opinion. Brown and Wilson work indirectly for the Sens, and will never give much more than a politically correct "that guy has to do better, and we all know he can".

Stevenson and Garrioch work for a newspaper, not the Sens. They try and stir the pot a bit (Garrioch anyway), but at least it's interesting. Brown and Wilson are masters of rhetoric 101, and it gets old fast. I'd turn it off fast if the writers weren't on. I'd much rather have Galley there in terms of radio people.

Of course, if Dandyman comes on, I'm changes channels before I hear a word.

Old
01-17-2004, 03:58 AM
Puck
Ninja

I tend to agree more with Brown and Wilson re. the Sens than the Sun scribes who are stirring the pot for eyeballs. However I will also agree that I find Brown and Wilson more 'impolite' on the air. They often disrespect the Sun scribes, sometimes for reason, sometimes not. They keep doing it so I suspect the Producer of the show likes the approach and encourages the talking heads to argue for hockey-tertainment purposes and ratings.

Brown and Wilson are more pro-Sens because of their connections with the team I suppose whereas the print guys like to think they are more objective but they're not always right. I have heard Brown and Wilson rants on the CBA however and I don't think they are always right either. I would rather they get someone like Pierre McGuire back on the pre-game. I don't listen to the 3 jokers in the morning because of bad scheduling, so I miss McGuire (I don't agree with everything he says either but it is another liberal opinion).

When the pre-game is 90 minutes, they should get another informed guest. I hate it when it disintegrates into mundane small-talk, trivia, nonsense and idle banter kicking each other. But I suppose there is a contingent out there who like the soap opera (The Big, the Bold and the Garrulous)

Old
01-19-2004, 12:35 PM
trentmccleary

Bah, I'm not big on any of them. I just like to hear the BS of the day.
IMO, Garrioch is getting funnier every Sunday. Without fail, he'll add in a couple of stupid rumours with no chance like:
Philadelphia looking at adding Robert Lang (WHY?... Roenick, Primeau, Comrie, Handzus, Lapointe)
Islanders looking at Cujo to fill net problems (Islanders just gave away a player making league average to "save" money)

Dean Brown is no better. I don't think he had ever seen a hockey game before getting this job. I'll never forget his little theory about how the Blues offense was suffering because Doug Weight wasn't a playmaker.

Old
01-20-2004, 01:20 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Of course, if Dandyman comes on, I'm changes channels before I hear a word.
You know why he keeps his job? Listen carefully and it'll be pretty apparent.

Closed Thread