HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder can be used differently in the future!

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Ryder can be used differently in the future!

Hey guys,

I was on TSN today reading the bio on Michael Ryder, and it said this for his assets---

“Excels at the two-way game and is an improving offensive player. Can play either center or wing. Is extremely versatile.”

I had no idea that Ryder could play at the C position. The funny thing is he is exactly the type of right handed C Gainey was probably looking for. A man with strength, size, grit and some offence as well as defence.

If Ryder truly can play C, i think he would be perfect in the future on a line with bulis and ward/??. That way we could still have Zednick and Balej on the right wings.

Future line-up for offence would then be

Kastitsyn, Koivu(Hossa), Balej
Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Zednik
Bulis, Ryder, Ward
Langdon, Begin, (aquire free agency/trade)

With this line up, all of the first three lines will be able to score,

and hopefully when hossa pans out (which i still think he will, BUT with time), he can replace koivu (2-4 years from now, koivu wont be the same).

By keeping koivu for 2 to 4 years he can help develope some of the young guns like Kats, perez, and balej. And guys dont tell me will keep koivu forever. He is also my favorite player on the team, but they all gota go at some point, like many others have like JR/Chicago, Ron francis/Pitsburg, etc.....

Thoughts!

Old
01-18-2004, 10:49 AM
BLONG7

Ryder a Center? Interesting... The Habs wouldn't do that now, but possibly next training camp, for next season?

Old
01-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Mooch

WOW,

I cant believe i forgot Chriss higgins. Isnt it great to have so many prospects!

Anyways stick him on the first line C as well, because i think he is very capable of becoming one. Now that leaves a problem for where hossa goes, ah well!

Old
01-18-2004, 10:57 AM
RE-HABS

Ryders goal scoring from the wing is too valuable to put him at centre with two offensively challenged players like Bulis and Ward (they can get points, but not like the top guys Ribs, Ryder, Zed, Saku right now).

Why put him at centre when we can have Higgins who can play there too?

Ryder, Koivu, Balej
Hossa, Higgins, Kastitsyn
Ward, Begin, Bulis (edit)

With 4 solid lines like this you could role four lines at all times with no real #1 or #4 line. Makes us that much stronger and harder to play against in the future.

Last edited by RE-HABS: 01-18-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Ryders goal scoring from the wing is too valuable to put him at centre with two offensively challenged players like Bulis and Ward (they can get points, but not like the top guys Ribs, Ryder, Zed, Saku right now).

Why put him at centre when we can have Higgins who can play there too?

Ryder, Koivu, Balej
Hossa, Higgins, Kastitsyn
Ward, Begin, Bulis (edit)

With 4 solid lines like this you could role four lines at all times with no real #1 or #4 line. Makes us that much stronger and harder to play against in the future.
Pretty optimistic lineup. I'd be very surprised if all these guys panned out.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:30 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Pretty optimistic lineup. I'd be very surprised if all these guys panned out.
I think the only big question mark of the players listed in that line up that aren't in the NHL may be Hossa, plus we have to consider Locke, Urqhart, Lambert, Ferland, Lappierre, Milroy and so on. They all might not make it, but it loks pretty promising to me that Balej, Perez, Higgs and Kats are almost pretty much can't miss.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I don't think Ryder will be in the top two line for a long time. With all the offensive young gun *******, I could see Ryder on that third line: Hossa-Higgins-Ryder. A decent defensive line who can easilly score...

Old
01-18-2004, 01:53 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
typical hockeys future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I don't think Ryder will be in the top two line for a long time. With all the offensive young gun *******, I could see Ryder on that third line: Hossa-Higgins-Ryder. A decent defensive line who can easilly score...
Typical HockeysFuture attitude. Already throwing aside one of the best rookies your team has had in recent memory - and likely calder winner - because you have a few good prospects. Players like Michael Ryder are not a dime a dozen, sit back and realize that you are seeing a great young player come from nowhere and blossom before your very eyes. I think Michael Ryder has made it pretty clear that he deserves a spot on the top two lines, present and future.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:58 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
you got to remmeber though "all the offencive tyoung guns" still havnt played in the nhl or proved scoring at this level, ryder has done that, i dont see him leaving the top 6 for a while.
anyways some of these line-ups look like pure fantasy, dont expect a huge prospect takeover next year, maybe 2 or 3 max.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Typical HockeysFuture attitude. Already throwing aside one of the best rookies your team has had in recent memory - and likely calder winner - because you have a few good prospects. Players like Michael Ryder are not a dime a dozen, sit back and realize that you are seeing a great young player come from nowhere and blossom before your very eyes. I think Michael Ryder has made it pretty clear that he deserves a spot on the top two lines, present and future.
Ryder deserve a plce on the top two line but he's like Bulis...he can play a two way game. Not exactly the same case for guys like Balej, Perez and Kast. This is why I think one day, Ryder will have to leave his place(if the prospects can play well in the NHL)...

***by the way, Ryder is one of my favorite player...

Old
01-18-2004, 05:59 PM
RE-HABS

Ryder can play a two way game it is true, but to the same extent as Bulis no. he will be a top 2 line player n Montreal, Julien himself has stated that the best use out of Ryder is on the top two lines because he is a scorer.

Plus one would think Ryder is doing so well that with more confidence, playing time and experience and not to mention more talent coming up like the Balej's and others that he is only going to get that much better.

Let's not start pushing him to 3rd line duty already, let him play his game and let him get that much better in front of our eyes. He had Zednik potential written all over him, but with a passing game to boot!

Old
01-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Prrebel

Quote:
Ryder deserve a plce on the top two line but he's like Bulis...he can play a two way game. Not exactly the same case for guys like Balej, Perez and Kast. This is why I think one day, Ryder will have to leave his place(if the prospects can play well in the NHL)...

***by the way, Ryder is one of my favorite player...
You also have to realize, that you have to have at least one player on each line who knows where the defensive end of the ice is. You have 3 guys floating around centre and you give up as many or more goals than you will score. For that reason, Ryder will be a fixture on the 1st or 2nd lines for years to come.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Habruti!

You want to have Ryder be consistant for at least two seasons before you start giving him all sort of other responsabilities....

Old
01-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Mooch

Thanks for replying guys.

First off i made a BIG mistake by not mentioning that our line up should look simular to this a few years from now NOT next year. Thats why i said that Koivu could one day be replaced(Future).
Anyways i am obviously asuming that all these prospets will pan out, thats why im saying put ryder as a third line C. Im pretty sure that if guys like perez, Kats, Higgs, hossa and others do pan out to their full potential then they will be the ones occupying top line duties. Ryder potential is good, but probably no where near the guys listed above.

And by the way for those of you who think i dont like ryder, beieve me, i think he is the best thing that has come to Montreal since Koivu in terms of youth. So NO i dont have anything against Ryder, and infact hope that he pans much higher then his potential

Peace!

Old
01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Darz

I think the beauty of a player like Ryder is he can play any position, on any line, in any type of situation.

A team with 12 Ryder's would be one hell of a team. There are very few players you could honestly say this about. The only other forward I could even consider saying that about from the habs is maybe Koivu.

Hmmmm....a team of 12 Ryder's as the forward units, 6 Souray's on defence and a couple of Theo's in net....SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Old
01-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Prrebel

If I am not mistaken... Ryder also played some defence in his first year with the baby Habs. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Give the man some pads and I bet he could play in net in an emergency!

Closed Thread