HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

what is Scott Niedermayer returning going to do?

Old
12-07-2007, 01:06 AM
milbs06

vCash: 500
what is Scott Niedermayer returning going to do?

i mean i know he has 4 rings an i know hes a great leader but is this going to be what is going to put the ducks in the running as the top ranked team in the west, as well as the nhl? detroit seems to be playing unreal right now. so whats Niedermayer going to bring to the team thats missing right now?

does this mean that Beauchemin will be on the move?

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Ducks

as far as talent on one team. Yes, Niedermayer returning will make the ducks one of the most talent heavy teams in the NHL. That doesn't win a cup on it's own though.

As far as what Niedermayer himself brings, he's basically the whole package. He is one of the highest scoring defensemen in the NHL, he is always in the right place at the right time defensively, he can play on the PK and the PP, and he is probably one of the smartest players in the game. Basically he is just one of those players who by being on the ice makes everyone around him better.

The only vital player we are missing from last year's championship team is Selanne, but we've gained Schneider and Bertuzzi. On paper this team looks really really good.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

The team could use more scoring, and considering Niedermayer's abilities, that should improve. Our lowly powerplay should get a significant boost as well. Tuzzi in front of the net, Getzlaf and Pronger on the point, Andy Mac, Perry or Kunitz down low, and Scotty wherever he pleases, should be fun. Also, it gives the team one of the scariest defenses to play against in ages. You have two of the best in the league, a guy in Schneider who is proving to still play at a very high level despite his age(he's gotta be a top 15-20 defenseman this year), a guy in Beauchemin who is leading the league in icetime(with that cut down he should very even more of a force, especially in the hitting department), a guy in Huskins who is constantly improving and proving to be a very good defenseman, and a guy in Hnidy who is a tough SOB and can really contribute out there. And thats only if Sean O'Donnell, an absolute rock on defense who has played very well with Pronger, gets dealt. Should be scary as hell.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 04:34 AM
lwvs84

Send a message via AIM to lwvs84
I still say that Scott's biggest contribution won't be on the score sheets (especially at first). His calming influence and leadership skills, to the youth on this team, will be a MUCH greater asset than his more than likely rusty skills.

lwvs84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 05:18 AM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
it will bench Hnidy or DiPenta, which is enough for me already

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
The only vital player we are missing from last year's championship team is Selanne
Penner

If waiving Marchant is enough to clear up the tagged salary issue, and we continue having trouble scoring, why not put Scotty on one of the forward lines and see what happens? (Kidding of course, but could it really be any worse than what we've had all year?)

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
High Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
it will bench Hnidy or DiPenta, which is enough for me already
Word.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Penner

I don't think that penner was vital last year. I think if anything he is showing in Edmonton right now that he was a product of his environment.

Old
12-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Joe Canada

Quote:
I don't think that penner was vital last year. I think if anything he is showing in Edmonton right now that he was a product of his environment.
Hence the sarcasm smiley.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
Hence the sarcasm smiley.
lol k wasn't sure

Old
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
caliamad

It will take a lot of pressure off of Beachemein and Pronger, who have been logging heavy heavey minutes. It will make their approach of Odonnel & Schnedier much different, knowing that they can go all out almost every shift, knowing that if they need a briether they are at 2-3 experience guys that can cover for them for a few minutes.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:56 AM
abax44

Quote:
So what's McDonald's problem?

abax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Jezz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwvs84 View Post
I still say that Scott's biggest contribution won't be on the score sheets (especially at first). His calming influence and leadership skills, to the youth on this team, will be a MUCH greater asset than his more than likely rusty skills.
+1

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwvs84 View Post
What he said.

What I see in the blowouts the past few weeks is that the team doesn't have "calming" leadership. Look at all the captains: Pronger, Niedermayer, Kunitz. They're all feisty guys. Look at all the guys over 30: Bertuzzi, May, Hnidy, OD. They're also all gritty. Even Marchant and Schneider don't step down when challenged. The team got down a few, had a few calls go against them, and they get discombobulated.

Now look at what Scotty did after Alfredsson shot at him. He calmed the team down, focused them on winning. That should be his biggest impact.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
kenabnrmal

He's going to help the transition game tremendously. MacDonald will still miss Selanne, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his number's spike a bit with Niedermayer rejoining the lineup, giving Mac more potential odd-man rushes. Speed and passing ability on the back end helps speedy finishers on the front.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abax44 View Post
So what's McDonald's problem?
Take a first line center, and stick him with two fourth line players, and then see how your production drops. That's essentially what happened to Andy Mac. When Bertuzzi was injured, and Kunitz playing with Getz and Perry, Andy Mac had Miller and Marchant.

At this point in time, both Miller and Marchant are nothing more than 4th line depth players.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
bullocks

it should help out ur 28th ranked pp

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Michael Scofield

what a freakin sweet defense we have now though. I think O'Donnell and Marchant are the most likely candidates to go. it would be ideal to get Selanne's decision soon because a salary dump trade could see us aquire some needed scoring talent up front as well as free up space for scotty

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Jerky Leclerc

If we lose Todd Marchant because Scotty wants to come back, its like one step forward, two steps backward. Right? Am I alone here?

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
If we lose Todd Marchant because Scotty wants to come back, its like one step forward, two steps backward. Right? Am I alone here?
I'm not certain how that's two steps backward at all. Would losing Todd Marchant suck, absolutely, but he wouldn't be traded just to get under this tagging room thing, it's to free up money to sign Perry long-term. Sutherby can replace Marchant. So, if both Marchant and O'Donnell get dealt, that's nearly $4 million freed up, just like that. You then deal either Niedermayer or Schneider at the end of the season(depening on whether or not Niedermayer stays), you get that money, and with the cap likely to go up, there's your money to fit everyone under. Let's not forget that just because Getzlaf got $5 million means Perry will get the same. I'm guessing something in the $3.5-4 range for him.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Theridion

Its very difficult to put out any conjecture about who will be traded. I mean, people can select their favorite trade candidates, but it eventually comes back to real life and which trades are plausible.

Trading Marchant or O'donnell seem the likely options, but there will be factors involving trading partners and compensation from the other team. Heck, even moving hnidy or anyone else could be totally dependant on the trade returns.

I could not choose between O'Donnell and Marchant. I know O'Donnell would be our 5th D-man and see maybe 5-10 minutes a night max... but at the same time, I recall cringing when our bottom defensive pair was played during the playoffs... it seemed like they constantly got rolled.

As for Marchant... the guy had a great game tonight. We do not have two top offensive lines and I think that our depth lines will only become MORE important in the playoffs. Marchant can contribute so much, I'd hate to select him as our ideal trade candidate, just because of his salary without looking at his potential effects on this squad.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote