HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Rick Nash one-dimensional?

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
Is Rick Nash one-dimensional?

I am not here to bash the guy or anything like that, I just want to know the general opinion here on whether Rick Nash is a one-dimensional player or not. Is he just a pure goal scorer and nothing else? I personally think that at this stage of his carrer he is but as he develops more, I see him round out into a more complete player that can score in bunches, pass well to get assists, and become more defensively aware.

Here are the stats on him: 27 G only 6A and he is -14 (granted he is on a bad team, but still)

Old
01-19-2004, 05:40 PM
guinness
those were the days

If he isn't scoring goals, not many others on the team can step up, I think he's hovering around scoring 30% of the Jacket's goals. As the rest of the team improves, I'm sure his assist stats will begin to balance out.

Old
01-19-2004, 05:41 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
He has a gritty side that is just as big as his goal scoring touch. He is physical.
That ratio of goals to assists is a rarity, at least to me it is. I think to some degree it suggests that he is more adept at burying the puck rather than setting up his linemates.
On the other hand both of his OHL seasons show that he had more assists than goals, so does his rookie NHL season.
I haven't seen much of Nash and was wondering the same thing, little more defined though - how good are his passing/creativity?

Old
01-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Spaceace

Would you consider him a power forward then?

Old
01-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Missionhockey

I don't see enough of him, but what I do believe is that a player like him should be able to make his team mates better and until then he should not be an all-star. Thats JMO.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:11 PM
PhoPhan

Even if he doesn't have any assists, the NHL's leading goal-scorer should be an all-star (especially if Modano is).

Old
01-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Would you consider him a power forward then?
You better belive it. He is a power forward now, but wait another few years once he fills out his frame. He'll be a monster.

He, much like Kovalchuk before him, is being asked to be the main offensive weapon while playing on a team that will be outclassed almost every night in the NHL. As the team around him improves he will round out nicely into one of the top forwards in the NHL.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Watch the pass he made to Vyborny for the first Jackets goal yesterday against the Oilers and tell me he's one dimensional. He makes outstanding passes every game and rarely does his teammates actually bury the puck. Not alot of players on the Jackets have good hands. Aside from Nash there is Vyborny and Zherdev. That's about it. Sanderson always plays on another line and Cassels doesn't really shoot all that much.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of the Leafs
Is he just a pure goal scorer and nothing else?
Are you just coming off a 2-year trip in the Sahara desert?

Or is it the only second possibility I can think of, which the rules of the board prevent me from putting into words?

Old
01-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Mizral

Nash is a fine passer. Not the best in the world, but good enough.

Is Nash one dimensional? Yeah. But so are many other great players. Nash is one of the worst players in the league in his zone, but hey, most kids his age aren't much better. And if they are, they don't have 20 goals on the season, nevermind 27.

Nash is one-dimensional in-so-much that he's all offense, precious little on the defensive side of the puck. But give him time. I'm sure he'll come around someday. Heck, look at Todd Bertuzzi. Perhaps the leagues worst defensive veteran in the league last year is actually doing SOME backchecking this year, and leads the league in +/- (not that his defensive play has a lot to do with it, but he'd probobly be a +15 or so under normal circumstances).

Old
01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I don't think he is as one dimensional as his stats suggest. But on the other hand I don't think Blue Jackets have a problem with him being a goalscorer primarily, at least not this season. It's not like he steals all the opportunities, he just scores on many of his.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Nash is a fine passer. Not the best in the world, but good enough.

Is Nash one dimensional? Yeah. But so are many other great players. Nash is one of the worst players in the league in his zone, but hey, most kids his age aren't much better.
There are way more than two dimensions in hockey. There are plenty. Physical aspect, understanding of the game are two of them, and are very important aspects that Nash already uses a lot.

I have seen no other forward as promising in a long time except for Kovalchuk PRECISELY because he is anything but one-dimensional.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
I think to some degree it suggests that he is more adept at burying the puck rather than setting up his linemates.
*clap.....clap......clap....clap*

Old
01-19-2004, 07:24 PM
TelperiŽn

Hard to say. I haven't seen Nash play enough times to make a judgment. From the stats, it sure seems like it, but stats don't always tell the whole story. If he had maybe 10+ assists, I might actually buy the story that his linemates are horrible... but 6? A little iffy. Either he's one-dimensional right now, or his teammates are completely abysmal. However, in defense of Nash as a player, I definitely think he's a great goal scorer and will be an important part of the BJ organization.

Old
01-19-2004, 07:39 PM
c-carp

No, Ithink the rest of Nash's game will continue to improve and he is absolutely a rising star.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

If you look at Rick's stats it will say that he is. I would not consider Rick Nash a one-dimensional player though. He is on a team that doesn't is not scoring goals and he is the main offensive weapon on the team, he is being asked to score goals, not to pass the puck. He may not be John Madden in the defensive zone but he isnt horrible. He is 19 and he has an abundance of time to round out his two-way game.

Old
01-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
From what I've seen of Nash which has been alot the past few years(kids on my dynsasty auction team) on the dish, I think his 6 assists thus far this season has alot more to do with the inability of his linemates(whomever that may be at the time) to bury the puck than it has to do with his playmaking abilities. Its almost flukish if you ask me cause I can think of at least 1/2 dozen times or so that either Viborny or Cassels or Hartigan have either hit posts or wiffed at wide open nets. Obviously Nash's assist total would be looking a tad more attractive if those guys would bury a few more of Nash's passes. Its just the way it goes. But he's definitly a good passer and he sets up his linemates very well from what I've seen and in the scoring areas as well. His no look pass to Viborny the other day vs Oilers illustrated this point perfectly. His linemates simply have stone hands.....only way to explain it.

I think the huge goal to assist anomoly is is simply explained by the fact he's alot better and more skilled than his current linemates. It would be nice if Zherdev, a player who does have the same skill set as a Nash would play alongside of him but that will likely come in short time.

Defensivly, Nash has a ways to go but believe it or not for those of y'all who haven't seen him play, he's better than he was last year and he's still a -14 but that part of his game will improve as he gets older.

Last I checked, Nash was still only 19 years old which makes it even more amazing the kind of year he's having....

-Maxie

Last edited by Maximus: 01-19-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old
01-20-2004, 08:38 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Exactly...he's only 19...let him grow some facial hair, and we'll have this discussion in 6 years when he's Marian Hossa's age.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Jacob

When everything he's shooting is going in, why bother passing?

I think defensive attention will get heavier and heavier on him, and he'll pretty much be forced into becoming a better playmaker.

Old
01-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Nash passing skill is ok (average) maybe better than average but after watching around 10-15 games of the Jackets this season, im not surprise to see Nash with 28-6 because would you make a stupid pass when you have the puck less than 1 feet to the goaltender or would you try to score ?

Nash's job is to get inside the crease & he is doing very well since oct 9th. When he's not inside the crease on powerplay, he's on the side & making nice pass.

Just like Kovalchuk, his passing abilities will become (if not already is) underrated because of so many goals to show on the stats sheet.

I know not everyone have NHL Center Ice but too many people I think make statements just regarding the stats newssheet.

P.S. Nothing wrong to make those kind of statement if it makes people want to discuss & make people learn about the subject.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Nash passing skill is ok (average) maybe better than average but after watching around 10-15 games of the Jackets this season, im not surprise to see Nash with 28-6 because would you make a stupid pass when you have the puck less than 1 feet to the goaltender or would you try to score ?

Nash's job is to get inside the crease & he is doing very well since oct 9th. When he's not inside the crease on powerplay, he's on the side & making nice pass.

Just like Kovalchuk, his passing abilities will become (if not already is) underrated because of so many goals to show on the stats sheet.

I know not everyone have NHL Center Ice but too many people I think make statements just regarding the stats newssheet.

P.S. Nothing wrong to make those kind of statement if it makes people want to discuss & make people learn about the subject.

Good points Russianfan.....one really has to have watched him play cause if one hasn't, one would assume that by only 6 assists, the kid doesn't pass well which is the furtherst thing from the truth. Wait until he plays with Zherdev regularly which is inevitable. I'll bet his assist totals will rise dramatically as he is pretty much, as I eluded to earlier, the only other fwd on the Jackets who is on the same level as far as skill is concerned.

-Max

Old
01-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2

I think defensive attention will get heavier and heavier on him, and he'll pretty much be forced into becoming a better playmaker.

Who do you think the Pronger's, Lidstrom's and Norstrom's are covering when their teams play the Jackets? Not Geoff Sanderson.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:33 PM
PhoPhan

I know Nash isn't one-dimensional, but even if he was, he'd be one hell of a roleplayer.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:59 AM
The_Wiz

Nash wouldn't even know how to "make a pass" on Anna Kournikova !

Old
01-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
From the stats, it sure seems like it, but stats don't always tell the whole story.
More accurately... they never do :p

Closed Thread