HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

12-08-07 - GDT: Ducks @ Preds - The we've got new Ownership Edition

Old
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
12-08-07 - GDT: Ducks @ Preds - The we've got new Ownership Edition

Fight Night & Pre-GOOD Niedermayer Edition
Anaheim (14-12-4 - 32) @ Nashville (13-11-2 - 28)

MUST WIN

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 01:41 AM
brah

It will be my first game this year.

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
For anyone wondering, Scott Niedermeyer will not be in the lineup tonight. He is still suspended and cannot be activated until Burke resolves some cap problems he is currently facing.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:46 AM
irisheyes555

some news and notes for everyone.

there is a new sheriff in town:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712080362/1028

and they signed legwand to a 6 year extension(note the last line in the story):
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712080378/1028

maybe now that all of the uncertainty is under the bridge everyone will concentrate on winning games.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
It will be my first game this year.
Have fun, heckle their goaltender, and boo the refs. If you do that, you will fit right in .

I think we win this one. 4-2 is my prediction. Mason is going to lock it down tonight!

12-08-2007, 11:25 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Woohoo! Game night again!

2 goals by our dmen tonight, book it.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 08:02 PM
braindead

Great 1st period by the Preds. Good puck movement, threw lots of shots on goal and cycled well. After screaming at the TV for 5 minutes on the waved off Legwand goal (how could they not review it?????), they finally showed the replay where Rads clearly played it with a high stick immediately prior to Legwand getting the puck. I'm a Good call after all.

Hopefully we can avoid a repeat of the 2nd period against Vancouver and keep moving forward.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Paincakes

Gordie Howe Hat Trick!

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Tootoo with 3:30 of ice time in 2 periods - nets a Gordie Howe hattrick !!!!

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Stranger

Pretty solid effort all around led to a much needed win. Those points were badly needed.

Solid games from Tootoo, Zidlicky, Radulov, and Suter imo.

I thought Gelinas had one of his better games for us too with his hard work along the boards.

What was up with the refs tonight? Alot of tick tac calls called (mostly on Anaheim) and then blatant missed calls.

Anyway, good win for us. Lets hope the team shows up on Monday night.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
brah

I sat 3 rows from the glass on the Preds offensive side.

Old
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Just got back...I brought 3 people who've never been to a hockey game, so I spent most of the night answering questions...but the best question of all came at the end of the night:

"So, when can we go again?"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

One thing that's disappointing...

13,469 on a warm Saturday night is pretty shameful. Upper bowl was pretty full, but huge patches of empties down low.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:08 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think we win this one. 4-2 is my prediction.
Give the man a cigar

I went tonight. Preds smoked the Ducks in the first period and played well enough the rest of the way to earn the win. Nice rink you've got there - but you need more butts in the seats.

The cheerleaders are distracting, though

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Just got back...I brought 3 people who've never been to a hockey game, so I spent most of the night answering questions...but the best question of all came at the end of the night:

"So, when can we go again?"

We had an extra ticket to the first game of the playoffs last year so my Dad decides to take a work buddy.

Dude calls his wife to come pick him up..............................during OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post

The cheerleaders are distracting, though
Is this not common at other arenas? I just assumed that having hot chicks running around sporting events in skimpy clothes was the norm.

Old
12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Paincakes

Quote:

13,469 on a warm Saturday night is pretty shameful. Upper bowl was pretty full, but huge patches of empties down low.
Well maybe if the new owners can get some better marketing and corporate relations going, we won't have that problem much longer.

Old
12-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Attendance is bad because it costs 800000000000000000 dollars for a ticket on a Saturday night.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Paincakes

Quote:
Attendance is bad because it costs 800000000000000000 dollars for a ticket on a Saturday night.
That too.

Old
12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Stranger

Quote:
And wasn't on any of the ticket packages except full

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
handtrick

Very enjoyable game sandwiched between two distasteful bookends........that parking lot known as I-24 that made us miss the entire preskate....and that pathetic effort on the 5 on 3 to end the game.....both the bookends however were inconsequential because I saw the entire game and we won, respectively, but distasteful nonetheless.

Boy, there is a fine line between playing physical and being undisciplined. This has been the Ducks problem all year....they rode it to the Cup last year, but it is biting them repeatedly this year. Corey Perry's slashing penalty 8 seconds after Erat's holding penalty at the end of the 2nd period, was apparently the last straw for Carlyle......notice that he benched Perry for the remainder of the game.....reminds me of our undisciplined days a couple of year ago.

Mason with a solid game. Loved those two swats of the puck out of there with his stick after they bounced of his shoulder. He seemed to be seeing the puck well all night and gave up almost no rebounds. I think this virus he had put him more under the weather than most are acknowledging.....kudos to him for playing through it.....he appears to be back on top of his game.

I gotta give Tootoo the "Most Improved Player Award" so far for this year. For a guy with "persona non grada" label firmly attached to his forehead.....he has made a remarkable metamorphisis. He laid low long enough.....working on his entire game to apparently get off the "Ref's Most Watched" List. Those thundering checks at the beginning of the year would have been called charging, boarding, ineterference, or something at the beginning of the year...no doubt.
He deserves more ice time...and apparently Trotz agrees per his post game conference. I think Gelinas has been an extremely good influence on him this year. I just hope he continues to mature off the ice as well.

As poorly as the 1-10 PP conversion rate looks on paper......that is the best the PP has looked in a long time, especially early in the game....in fact, I called 303 at the end of the 1st period saying that I can't remember our PP having such good puck movement, traffic, entry into the zone, and actually in and out flow and movement [instead of the usual standing around passing the puck around the periphery] the whole year. I just wish they would have gotten rewarded by it......just keep doing it, and we will get a few.

As a few of us like to say after Smitty's goal, "you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him....."
Beautiful pass by Ortmeyer and excellent shot by Smithson. It is nice to see this two guys get rewarded offensively. Ortmeyer is definitely thinking offensively now.....which I was really beginning to wonder for a while. That Radulov-esque slapper from the right side wall on the rush, shorthanded in the third to begin that incredible comeback in Montreal must have released the offensive beast in Jed....he has been outstanding lately.

Nice to see our defense contributing offensively. Suter with the nice wrister....Zidllicky with the beautiful LOW hard shot that Rads makes an outstanding redirection. If Zids would put his point shot just like that, instead of corner picking and missing the net high and/or wide and the puck winds around the endboard, out of the zone....every...freaking...time.....he could triple his assist count. And finally, Weber with 5 shots on goal, and 4 others either blocked or missed.......you gotta love what we are starting to see here.
And I gotta give some props to Suter. He is simply one of the best dmen with skating, handling the puck, and making the quality decision with the puck when breaking out in the entire NHL....he just doesn't get enough credit for this part of this game.

Props to our guys for matching their physicality, but remaining disciplined.
-Fiddler getting under Pronger's skin by checking back, eventhough Pronger thinks he is untouchable out there.....
-Toots with the big check on Pronger, seperating him from the puck and leading directly to Suter's goal
-Hamhuis's big hit on Platt [called for interference of course], but holding on for dear life a Kunitz tried to retaliate. I actually give Hamhuis props for this because Kunitz would have cleaned his clock, giving anaheim huge momentum. This just seemed to frustrate them more.
-Smithson not backing down from Hnidy.
-Hordy continually chirping at Parros, like a gnat in his ear......

And lastly, what I wouldn't give for Ryan Getzlaf.....he is gonna be the real deal in this league for the next decade....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:20 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Is this not common at other arenas? I just assumed that having hot chicks running around sporting events in skimpy clothes was the norm.
Cheerleaders are uncommon for hockey arenas. I know there are none in Montreal, and I doubt there are any in the other Canadian rinks.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:20 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Cheerleaders are uncommon for hockey arenas. I know there are none in Montreal, and I doubt there are any in the other Canadian rinks.
I could realy do without them. Surely that money could be better spent.

Anyway, I have a good story to share.

This guy comes walking up the steps last night and says, "hey who wants a free beer?" Thinking it was a joke my sister raised her hand and says "me!"

He hands her the beer and says, "this is from the owner, hope you enjoy the game tonight."

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 03:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Half dress women go with sports as much as beer does. I love the cheerleaders.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
I think we win this one. 4-2 is my prediction. Mason is going to lock it down tonight!
Wow. Great call, Mason was great!

Quote:

It's always the "attack once" side that is the most empty. For one thing, I guess everyone wants to see the goals, but other than that I just don't understand why that one side is almost always half empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
....that parking lot known as I-24 that made us miss the entire preskate....
I don't know what was going on, but the people that sit behind us come in on I-24 and they didn't get there until half way through the first period.

Quote:
Mason with a solid game. Loved those two swats of the puck out of there with his stick after they bounced of his shoulder. He seemed to be seeing the puck well all night and gave up almost no rebounds......he appears to be back on top of his game.
Mason almost looked like he did the first 2 games of the year. He just looked more confident out there. Those swats I don't remember seeing since the first 2 games when played so well.

Quote:
I gotta give Tootoo the "Most Improved Player Award" so far for this year. For a guy with "persona non grada" label firmly attached to his forehead.....he has made a remarkable metamorphisis. He deserves more ice time...and apparently Trotz agrees per his post game conference.
He really has been good this year. It's hard to believe that he already has 6 goals. He just comes out and parks himself on one dot and somehow he's always left open. He gets the puck and just fires. I love that, he'll shoot from anywhere. They used to go straight to the goalies chest but this year they're finding their way into the net.

Quote:
As a few of us like to say after Smitty's goal, "you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him....."
Beautiful pass by Ortmeyer and excellent shot by Smithson.
My mom has decided that the Preds should have Jared the jewelry store as a sponsor so that anytime Smithson scores, they can say about the guys with assists, "He went to Jerred."

Quote:
Props to our guys for matching their physicality, but remaining disciplined.
-Fiddler getting under Pronger's skin by checking back, eventhough Pronger thinks he is untouchable out there.....
-Toots with the big check on Pronger, seperating him from the puck and leading directly to Suter's goal
I thought those were huge points. If Pronger gets Fiddler to do something, Ducks most likely end up w/ a PP. At worst for the Ducks it would be 4on4, but Fiddler was very disciplined and didn't give more back to him than Pronger did. And I don't like Fids chances against Pronger in anything more than a few shoves, lol. And Tootoo's hit was great, it got that whole line going and the Ducks couldn't get a clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Anyway, I have a good story to share.

This guy comes walking up the steps last night and says, "hey who wants a free beer?" Thinking it was a joke my sister raised her hand and says "me!"

He hands her the beer and says, "this is from the owner, hope you enjoy the game tonight."
Nice!

At one point during the first period for some reason I turned around and looked up at the landing of my section and David Freeman and Jerry Helper were standing there. I was like "OMG, look it's David Freeman" and some people turned around and cheered him and he just very shy-like looked down and waved and said hello. And then a minute later they were gone.

And Herb Fritch and his wife were sitting behind the visitors bench about 3 rows back, both in Preds jerseys. I don't know if those were season tickets there or just for one game, but I was surprised to see them there, I guess they didn't feel like using the owners suite yet!

----------------------------
Unlike when he was in Vancouver, Bertuzzi was a big non factor in this game.

Love the way we came out in the first period. We came out fast and were outshooting them 7-0 and had a goal before they even had one shot. And this time we maintained it into the 2nd and 3rd periods as well. Lately when a team comes in on the second of back to backs it seems like the other team is fresher later in the game than we are.

Very impressed by our discipline. We all know the retaliator is usually the one that gets the penalty but we stayed composed in little scrums and never took stupid penalties to give the Ducks any life at all. And I was glad to see the refs let the players have their scrums and not take one player just to play Peace Keeper.

And a great job by Mason!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote