HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

O'Neil on the block according to Bob McKenzie

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
O'Neil on the block according to Bob McKenzie

Jeff O'Neil is on the trading block, according to Bob McKenzie on TSN's new 'Power Play' segment (think Satillite Hotstove but on TSN).

At $3.7 million, O'Neil is thought to be a guy that the Canes could do without. His contract is up at the end of the season too, and he would be affordable for most of the 'buyers' out there.

While I know other reporters have said that O'Neil could be traded, some have said otherwise, and this is the first time I've seen Bob McKenzie talk about it.

I suspect a bunch of teams would be interested.

Also of note on the show:

- The Wings have talked to the Hawks about Zhamnov
- Pat Quinn is not a slam dunk just yet for the World Cup team
- Ron Wilson is the favorite for the US team so far
- The Thrashers are looking to pick up a defenseman to take them into the playoffs

Old
01-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
O'Neill is thought to be a guy that the Canes could do without.
That's pretty laughable.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Ron Wilson as coach of the U.S. team makes alot of sense given his success as coach of the '96 team and the great job he's doing with San Jose this year.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Come on Miz, you should know this belongs on the Trade Rumors board :p

Old
01-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Come on Miz, you should know this belongs on the Trade Rumors board :p
Damn you beat me to it.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
- The Thrashers are looking to pick up a defenseman to take them into the playoffs
And his name starts with K and rhymes with Teeth Carney.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
And his name starts with K and rhymes with Teeth Carney.
Damn, I know this one! Uh, ummm, uh......Alexei Zhitnik?

Old
01-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Voynich

No wait its um....ummmmm.....Chris Pronger, no wait....uhhhhh....Scott Stevens, yeah thats the ticket.

Old
01-16-2004, 03:20 AM
john g

off-topic short of but......

does anyone know where I download or view the picture of O'Neill when he had that horrible black eye when they made the Cup run?

was trying to show someone at work, why hockey is the best sport and that the players are the toughest

thanks in advance

Old
01-16-2004, 03:53 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Fan

does anyone know where I download or view the picture of O'Neill when he had that horrible black eye when they made the Cup run?

was trying to show someone at work, why hockey is the best sport and that the players are the toughest

thanks in advance
I would say show the pic or JR after he got high sticked in the face by his teammate then by one of the other teams players.. He looks like he's dead..

Old
01-16-2004, 03:55 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:

Someone had it as their avatar on LetsgoCanes.com. I tried searching for it, but to no avail. You can ask around, though

Now, back to our regularly scheduled horrid trade proposals...

Old
01-16-2004, 03:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

For all the trade rumours we've heard this year, there has been little actual trading in the NHL. That should change in the weeks leading up to the NHL trade deadline.

The Chicago Blackhawks may trade centre Alexei Zhamnov and the Detroit Red Wings are one of a number of teams interested.

But the biggest impact player who is available and quite likely to move before the deadline is Carolina's Jeff O'Neill. He's struggling mightily this season with only five goals, but he's a front-line winger who has averaged 30-plus goals per year over the last four seasons. His contract of $3.7 million expires at season's end but to he would be affordable in any economic system. Carolina has apparently decided to start looking further down the road, and O'Neill doesn't fir into future plans.

If the Canes get the right offer, O'Neill is gone.

Meanwhile, Wayne Gretzky and his Team Canada management group will have a conference call in the next day or two and nailing down a head coach for the world cup entry is the top priority. Look for Gretzky to name a coach before month's end so the coach can be part of the player selection process that will start All-Star weekend in Minnesota.

Toronto's Pat Quinn continues to be the frontrunner, but it would be premature to say he's a lock. Gretzky and his group want to go through the exercise of considering all options, everything from Joel Quenneville to Marc Crawford (feel free to insert your shootout joke here) and beyond.

Los Angeles Kings head coach Andy Murray could also be in the mix as part of the staff, though with Ken Hitchcock and Jacques Martin expected back as assistants, there is a question of how many head coaches on a staff is too many.

I love how he goes out on a limb and says that O'Neill could be had for the right price.

Ummm, pretty much any struggling $3 million+ player can be had for the right price.

Especially off a team that is struggling as badly as the Canes.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:16 AM
hockey_nut

I'd take O'Neill.... sure he's struggling, but who isn't on Carolina? A guy like a Jan Bulis and a pick/prospect and that could cover the cost. (Not saying just from Montreal, from any club). I could see the Canes dealing a few guys prior to D-Day.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:43 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
A guy like a Jan Bulis and a pick/prospect and that could cover the cost.
Everything was cool until you said that.

Last edited by HughJass*: 01-16-2004 at 06:49 AM.
Old
01-16-2004, 07:17 AM
[ GSGS ]

Quote:

thanks in advance
Here it is:

Old
01-16-2004, 07:26 AM
jfont

Awards:
Kings could really use a player like O'neil...what would the Canes want in return? what type of prospects?

01-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I would love for the Kings to pick up O'Neill, but it ain't gonna happen

Old
01-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
Kings could really use a player like O'neil...what would the Canes want in return? what type of prospects?
great minds think alike

Old
01-16-2004, 07:28 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
That's pretty laughable.
I dunno... I agree that it doesn't make the most sense to deal O'Neill given his previous production and his age, not to mention he's not just a scorer, but also brings size and grit to the game....

but Bob MacKenzie is probably the one guy I would believe on this... his sources are usually right on, and if he's saying that the Canes are looking to move O'Neill, I believe it.

the question though is still what they expect to get for him... teams aren't going to give up the farm for him, and he'll be treated somewhere between the consistent 30 goal man he has been in the past and the struggling forward he's playing as now, who's on a $3.7mill contract (this is a huge point IMO, cause even though half the season is over, and a lot of that contract is paid, he still needs to be qualified at that same salary next season, or he's a UFA).

MacKenzie added: "If the Canes get the right offer, O'Neill is gone." ... this could be the big stumbing block, as the right offer could be anything from realistic and what teams would be willing to pay, to something unreasonable that the Canes expect in return... but if the Canes are truly rebuilding, I'm sure there are alot of teams (including the Canucks I would imagine) that would be willing to part with multiple pieces of their prospects/picks and some young players to make this happen.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:29 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
great minds think alike

Old
01-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I dunno... I agree that it doesn't make the most sense to deal O'Neill given his previous production and his age, not to mention he's not just a scorer, but also brings size and grit to the game....

but Bob MacKenzie is probably the one guy I would believe on this... his sources are usually right on, and if he's saying that the Canes are looking to move O'Neill, I believe it.

the question though is still what they expect to get for him... teams aren't going to give up the farm for him, and he'll be treated somewhere between the consistent 30 goal man he has been in the past and the struggling forward he's playing as now, who's on a $3.7mill contract (this is a huge point IMO, cause even though half the season is over, and a lot of that contract is paid, he still needs to be qualified at that same salary next season, or he's a UFA).

MacKenzie added: "If the Canes get the right offer, O'Neill is gone." ... this could be the big stumbing block, as the right offer could be anything from realistic and what teams would be willing to pay, to something unreasonable that the Canes expect in return... but if the Canes are truly rebuilding, I'm sure there are alot of teams (including the Canucks I would imagine) that would be willing to part with multiple pieces of their prospects/picks and some young players to make this happen.
I would expect a lot if interest in O'Neill. I don't think 3.7 mill is too much for a guy like him

Old
01-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
- The Wings have talked to the Hawks about Zhamnov

I'd rather they go after O'Neill...they need grit up front more than adding another slick centerman.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
There was a rumor that the Canes offered O'Neill/Svoboda for Rolston/Axelsson, so I'm not sure if Carolina is interested in prospects at this point.

My offer:

Carolina: LW Jeff Friesen, D Sean Brown, G Ari Ahonen
New Jersey: RW Jeff O'Neill, D Bob Boughner

Carolina picks up a struggling forward who, like O'Neill, might just need a change of teams to get going again. They're of the same age (both '94 draft picks) and Friesen makes 750K less a year. ESPN also lists Erik Cole as the Canes' only natural left winger. Brown would just be a cheaper #6 defenseman (I forget if Calgary is eating some of Boughner's salary). Ahonen could finish off the season in the AHL, then be Weekes' backup next year, and all challenge for the #1 job there after. Cam Ward probably needs at least a couple years in the AHL before he sees the NHL.

New Jersey gets a more natural goal scorer in O'Neill, whose sniping skills might go very well with a pass heavy guy like Gomez. Boughner would be a veteran #6, who might be more dependable in the playoffs over the rookies Martin and Hale.

A seemingly lateral move, but I think Friesen has a little bit more value than Rolston solely based on the fact that Friesen isn't UFA at the end of the season.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:54 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I would expect a lot if interest in O'Neill. I don't think 3.7 mill is too much for a guy like him
no not a lot for a player like him... but still teams have to budget $3.7 mill into their payroll with a new CBA coming up, which isn't the easist thing to do...

granted we're not talking about a $7mill+ player, but most teams have already hit their ceilings as far as what they can afford - especially the top contenders, who are likely to be the ones most interested in O'Neill.

not saying it'll stop them from being interested, but they'll likely think twice about over paying for him (in terms of assets).

The teams I could see most interested are the ones that have their key star forwards who are close to retirement, where a guy like O'Neill could replace one of their outgoing players (and salaries).

for example... O'Neill seems like a good transition player after Hull retires (although Detroit is a perfect example of a team that could have reservations about adding $3.7 mill considering they haven't been able to move Cujo)....

I'd also think that the Canes may think about wanting to move him to the Western conference perferably... not that they'll ignore offers in the East, but I'd think that a player of his talent level, that has the ability to come back and haunt them for years down the road, they'd rather see shipped off to the Western Conference.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I'd also think that the Canes may think about wanting to move him to the Western conference perferably... not that they'll ignore offers in the East, but I'd think that a player of his talent level, that has the ability to come back and haunt them for years down the road, they'd rather see shipped off to the Western Conference.
Well if history is any indicator:

Ozolinsh to Florida
Willis to Tampa
Kapanen to Philidelphia
Primeau to Philidelphia

Those are probably the biggest names we've traded since the relocation and all of them have been to eastern conference teams. JR obviously doesnt worry too much about trading in his conference or even his own division.

Closed Thread