HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly looking for a defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Mongoose

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPatrickWho?
Yea, Housley did say that, but he also said that he wanted to pay. Once you play the game it's hard to just quit.
Can you cite that?

Old
01-19-2004, 08:20 PM
RonPatrickWho?

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Can you cite that?
Yup
The 39-year-old defenseman had 1,232 points on 338 goals and 894 assists in 1,495 games in 21 seasons with Buffalo, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Calgary, New Jersey, Washington, Chicago and Toronto.

The former South St. Paul High School star had hoped to finish his career with the hometown Minnesota Wild.

"They're going in the direction they think is best for the organization, and I respect that," Housley said.

It say here that he wanted to play this year now doesnt, well there you have it mongoose!!

Old
01-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Mongoose

Quote:
Yup
The 39-year-old defenseman had 1,232 points on 338 goals and 894 assists in 1,495 games in 21 seasons with Buffalo, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Calgary, New Jersey, Washington, Chicago and Toronto.

The former South St. Paul High School star had hoped to finish his career with the hometown Minnesota Wild.

"They're going in the direction they think is best for the organization, and I respect that," Housley said.

It say here that he wanted to play this year now doesnt, well there you have it mongoose!!
It seems you forgot the quote right after that.
ST. MARY'S POINT, Minn. -- Phil Housley, the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history, retired Friday after failing to sign with a team this season.

"They're going in the direction they think is best for the organization, and I respect that," Housley said. "The longer I waited, the less I wanted to play again, and the more I was seeing how much fun I'm having with my family right now."

Old
01-19-2004, 08:24 PM
RonPatrickWho?

vCash:
Quote:
It seems you forgot the quote right after that.
ST. MARY'S POINT, Minn. -- Phil Housley, the highest-scoring American-born player in NHL history, retired Friday after failing to sign with a team this season.

"They're going in the direction they think is best for the organization, and I respect that," Housley said. "The longer I waited, the less I wanted to play again, and the more I was seeing how much fun I'm having with my family right now."
But no matter how much you add to it, it still says right there, out of his own mouth, that he wanted to play NHL hockey this year. Now try to find something that says differently Mongoose!!!

Old
01-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Mongoose

Quote:
But no matter how much you add to it, it still says right there, out of his own mouth, that he wanted to play NHL hockey this year. Now try to find something that says differently Mongoose!!!

Regardless of what happened before he retired. Right now he doesn't want to play. And if he doesn't want to play AFTER he retired, he's not going to try to sign with another team.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
RonPatrickWho?

vCash:
Quote:

Regardless of what happened before he retired. Right now he doesn't want to play. And if he doesn't want to play AFTER he retired, he's not going to try to sign with another team.
But it still says that he wants to play, yes he is having fun with his family but he still said he wants to play!!! What dont you get!!!

Old
01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
DARKSIDE

Hey Flyer fans, it seems like it will be a late Christmas rush on defensemen. Other then the Flyers and now Phoenix, I hear Toronto, Rangers and my team the Devils are all shopping for some D-help. Looks like a team like Carolina will be dealing from a position of strength, with a least 3 available defensemen!

Old
01-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Honestly, I dont see the Flyers picking up a d-man. This is a team that was so stacked on defense taht they left Chris Therin exposed on waivers. They have a good enough team to survive the wait for injuries to heal...What kind of confidence are you sending your team, when immeadiately after an injury, you trade for somone else. Its like saying they can't cut it without a star.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Honestly, I dont see the Flyers picking up a d-man. This is a team that was so stacked on defense taht they left Chris Therin exposed on waivers. They have a good enough team to survive the wait for injuries to heal...What kind of confidence are you sending your team, when immeadiately after an injury, you trade for somone else. Its like saying they can't cut it without a star.
This is from Clarke himself (TSN.ca sourse)...here is a tid bit of it,

Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said on Monday that he has been in contact with several teams to secure some blue-line help.

The team's top defenceman, Eric Desjardins, suffered a broken arm in Saturday night's game at Toronto and is expected to be out a minimum of eight weeks.
On Monday, the Flyers learned they will be without Marcus Ragnarsson due to a left shoulder injury he suffered in the Toronto game. He will miss about two weeks.
Previously, Dennis Seidenberg was lost for 12 weeks after his left leg was broken in a collision at practice.

"I would say we're going to get somebody,'' Clarke said. "We've talked to a lot of teams. There are a few guys around. Mostly what you're looking at now is a stop-gap guy. No one has come out (and offered) a top-four guy yet. I don't know if that will happen or not."

So there are a lot of 5 - 7 Dmen being offered, is Bobby looking for a top 4?

Old
01-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
What kind of confidence are you sending your team, when immeadiately after an injury, you trade for somone else. Its like saying they can't cut it without a star.
On the flip side...

What kind of confidence are you sending your team, when in the aftermath of a slew of injuries, you sit on your hands and don't do anything to help reinforce a weakened position?

Seems to me that would be like finding some cracks in a dam but saying 'oh, well...we don't need to fix those...it would hurt the dam's feelings'. And that coming from the mayor of the town in the valley below

Old
01-19-2004, 10:28 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
On the flip side...

What kind of confidence are you sending your team, when in the aftermath of a slew of injuries, you sit on your hands and don't do anything to help reinforce a weakened position?

Seems to me that would be like finding some cracks in a dam but saying 'oh, well...we don't need to fix those...it would hurt the dam's feelings'. And that coming from the mayor of the town in the valley below
I think he thought there was only one injury. As it stands 3 of their defenders were injured within a few days. Vandermeer will be called up, but he had a shaky start to the season.

The one offered earlier that I liked the most was Simpson for a 6th. He is a physical guy, and a 6th is realitivly cheap. What's his contract like?

Old
01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Winston Wolf

If Anaheim falls out of the playoff race I would love to see Clarke make a trade for any of: Keith Carney, Vitali Vishnevski, or Ruslan Salei.

What do you think they would cost?

Old
01-19-2004, 11:26 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Brad Bombardir and if he was not injured Brad Brown or Jason Marshall (who'll be exposed on waivers, so waiver fee pick up there) one of them for future considerations

Old
01-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Actually, I knew of all three injuries, but I did not realize the length involved for Sedenberg (sp). Acquiring a depth d-man could be in order, but noone of any high value should be dealt for. Like I said, this is a team that is stacked on defense when they are healthy, and come playoff time, they will be healthy. If a 5/6 d-man can be had for cheap, jump on it. Otherwise, I would really hold off on trading for a defensemen. The FLyers are still good enough to win a LOT of games.

Old
01-20-2004, 01:34 AM
FlyerFire

whats up with

Tverdosky(sp) he like fell off the face of the earth?

Old
01-20-2004, 01:56 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
Calling Russia... Calling Russia... Come in Russia....

Does anyone know where Dmitry Yushkevich is? Over....

Yes! Do it! We could use the compensatory pick!

Old
01-20-2004, 06:24 AM
pappa jan

To Philadelphia: Niclas Wallin, 3rd round pick 04.

To Carolina: Radovan Somik.

Philly gets a 5/6 defenseman and a good pick, and the 'Canes gets a winger that could be succesful in a bigger role with the 'Canes then playing 3rd/4th line time with Philly.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:33 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
He want a Top 4 guy, i know we need 1 but if we could get Gagne/Williams for Zhitnik + pick, which is a long shot, i would do it. Zhitnik is a UFA at seasons end, so his the perfect "Stop-gap" player. Gagne or williams would be a long shot. but i think it's possible. and i would welcome the offense. IF gagne returns to old form. his sure sucks at the moment. so his value isnt higher that Zhitnik.

Clarke quote:

``We've talked to a lot of teams. There are a few guys around. Mostly what you're looking at now is a stop-gap guy. No one has come out (and offered) a top-four guy yet. I don't know if that will happen or not.''

Old
01-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Benji Frank

Ragnarson's back in a couple of weeks. Seidenberg was down on the farm all year or a healthy scratch except for a handful of games....

Pitkanen can likely take the next step to 20 or so mins per night to fill part of the void left by Desjardins. Weinrich can take over second pwerplay duties.

I really don't think you'll see any more then what Boston just did ... grab a 6/7 guy for futures and turn him into a 5/6 guy for awhile....... off the top of my head, Anaheim, Buff (hullo Mr.Delmore!!! ), LA, San Jose, Edmonton all have a spare part or two they could unload for a pick...

As or Housley, I think articles also mentioned he'd received offers from other tms, but was only interested in returning to play for Minnesota.........

Old
01-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Safir*

Carolina wants to exchange D for Offense.

PHI: Wesley
CAR: 2nd round pick or a good prospect (well not Carter)

Wow...the Comrie deal looks different right now, ey Bobby?

Old
01-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Buff (hullo Mr.Delmore!!! )
Been there, done that, run screaming from the stadium as Delmore shows how godawful he is on defense. While he fits the description (depth defenseman), I'd say he only fits it technically.

I am a bit interested in pappa jan's proposal of Wallin and a pick for Somik, since I was extremely impressed with Patrick Sharp during his callup, and dealing Somik opens up a spot for Sharp. The only problem is I know almost nothing about Wallin.

BTW, someone mentioned Oleg Tverdosky (ok, a few people). Does anyone have the story on him? I appear to have missed that all season long (whoops!).

Old
01-20-2004, 07:44 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

To Phi: Jason Marshall

To Min: 2004 6th round pick

any takers?

Old
01-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_to_Fly
I thought Ragnarsson came back
Rags is out 10 to 12 days. A bad shoulder...

Old
01-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Carolina wants to exchange D for Offense.

PHI: Wesley
CAR: 2nd round pick or a good prospect (well not Carter)

Wow...the Comrie deal looks different right now, ey Bobby?
No, because a rookie defenseman with no NHL experience was not going to be able to replace Desjardins.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Teezax

my guess is Philly will pickup a DMaN from the Canes.

take your pick

2 Glen Wesley 6-1 205
4 Aaron Ward 6-2 225
6 Bret Hedican 6-2 205
7 Niclas Wallin 6-3 220
8 Bob Boughner 6-0 203
22 Sean Hill 6-0 205
25 Bruno St. Jacques 6-2 204
55 Danny Markov 6-1 190

It would be nice to get St Jacques back now!

Closed Thread