HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One Thing DL Got Right

Old
12-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker View Post
you get my vote.
It would be kind of cool if you could vote members off like survivor.....but then again I would probably already be gone.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:26 PM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I feel that Lombardi has taken a hard stand with Cammalleri to help ensure that contracts don't get out of hand with the rest of the young players.

Lombardi doesn't appear to subscribe to the idea that points determine the contract as much as others do. To him, taking responsibility for winning and playing an overall game seem to be just as important. I think that he may realize that, to be a really good team, you have to have players (especially the top ones) with those intangibles, otherwise you wind up with a high-powered, but built-like-a-deck-of-cards team, like the Thrashers, for example.

I think that we may've already seen the first payoff of Lombardi's handling of the Cammalleri situation. If Mike had received $5-5.5M this past Summer, I have a feeling that Brown and his agent would've adjusted their expectations a little higher, such as to the $4M that Legwand just got. Afterall, they could argue that Brown is more well-rounded and useful in all situations than Cammalleri is; thus, he should get closer to 75% of Mike's salary, rather than 60%. As it was, though, Cammalleri getting rewarded a measily $3.35M by an independent arbitor had to really take away what would've been their best bargaining piece, a comparison to a highly-paid player of roughly the same experience on the same team. I have to think that it saved Lombardi at least $500K per year, maybe a whole $1M.

The greater effect of keeping a cap on salaries will likely be seen with Kopitar, however. If $5-5M had been thrown at Cammalleri, Kopitar and his agent would, probably, have looked for more than that, such as $6M. Without that bar being set, though, I actually have some hope that Anze may be locked up for $4.5-4.9M. That may seem low, but Brown signed for a lot less than people anticipated, and my perception of Anze is that he's of a very similar personality as Dustin and would take less than he could get in order to avoid conflict, show loyalty, not appear selfish and receive security. The real beauty of this, though, is that Kopitar is such a phenom that future prospects and their agents won't dare compare themselves to him. If the Kings are so fortunate to lock up Anze for under $5M, then that virtually guarantees that every young player to come will be affordable.

Anyways, I think that Lombardi's handling of Cammalleri is geared towards keeping things in check so that the organization can afford to keep the rest of its young talent, not just in the next few years, but for many years beyond, even.
sounds pretty promising right?

I have to give a little more credit to Brown, for signing for what he did. He could have EASILY waited, signed for less years, etc. He knew he would be worth more down the road. He genuinely did the team right, and as you've pointed, out this can pay dividends all the way down the lineup, for a lot of important signings.

Freak I LOVE Brown. Damn.

Then the only thing we will have to worry about is those damn offer sheets. amirite?

deeker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:27 PM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
It would be kind of cool if you could vote members off like survivor.....but then again I would probably already be gone.
same here.

Old
12-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Michigan Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
You might not agree with what I am about to say but.....Stamkos will be playing in the NHL next season. And I am pretty sure that he will score at least 25 goals and have at least 60 points by the end of the 2008-09 season. Now knowing that....if the Kings ended up drafting Stamkos in the offseason it would mean they would have to find a spot on the top 6 to put him. Having Stamkos would almost make Cammalleri superfluous on this team. With Purcell likely trying for a top 6 spot and O'Sullivan making a push as well someone would have to go. Cammalleri would be the most likely candidate in my opinion.
Why wouldn't I like that? (My screen name doesn't make me a Cammalleri homer.) I 100% agree. What I thought you said was that you'd package Cammalleri in a trade to move up to get Stamkos which, while potentially good in the long-term, would be a lateral move or step back for next season. That might be hard to sell this far into a rebuild, when on-ice results will start to matter.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:57 AM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I feel that Lombardi has taken a hard stand with Cammalleri to help ensure that contracts don't get out of hand with the rest of the young players...

Anyways, I think that Lombardi's handling of Cammalleri is geared towards keeping things in check so that the organization can afford to keep the rest of its young talent, not just in the next few years, but for many years beyond, even.
Great post.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:21 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine View Post
Why wouldn't I like that? (My screen name doesn't make me a Cammalleri homer.) I 100% agree. What I thought you said was that you'd package Cammalleri in a trade to move up to get Stamkos which, while potentially good in the long-term, would be a lateral move or step back for next season. That might be hard to sell this far into a rebuild, when on-ice results will start to matter.
I am a Cammy fan but I believe Stamkos will step into the NHL and put together a better overall game than Cammy. I may be in the minority but I believe he outscores Cammy too. He is one of those guys that can get 90 points in his rookie year.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
Man...why do I have to beat this drum again? Wabwat can confirm that was flaunting this on the other board ages ago and even the morons that frequent that place understood and agreed.

BLAKE WAS GOING TO BE A KING REGARDLESS OF WHO THE GM WAS.

THIS WAS KNOWN WHEN HE WAS STILL AN AV.

Stop pinning it on Blake as though he was brought here to do any more then sell some fat ass a 97.1 holiday nacho super family fun pack.

Resigning him was something Lieweike wanted LONG before DT was even fired. It was nearly set in stone that blake was going to come here, try to coax people with chevy Blake sweaters back into the seats during some tough seasons, and end his career to precede a move into management. THIS ISNT ROCK SCIENCE. Look past the headlines.

CASE CLOSED.

and Purcell? PLEASE. Like any of you predicted that he was going to have this sort of season in Manchester. Half of you haven't ever watched a single Hockey East game, let alone heard of Teddy Purcell, so the idea that DL, or anyone for that matter, knew that Purcell was going to "Kopitar's future winger" is so ****ing absurd I dont even know where to start. Christ almighty.
Okay, well riddle me this then Batman...if everybody and their mother knew that Blake wanted to be, and would be a King, why in the **** did we sign him for six million?

12-09-2007, 07:55 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Okay, well riddle me this then Batman...if everybody and their mother knew that Blake wanted to be, and would be a King, why in the **** did we sign him for six million?
Can't explain the dollars but will confirm that I had heard Blake was coming back while DT was still the GM...

For what it's worth, the Kings folks ask the Monarchs FO folks for a list of five players (veterans) every season that they'd like to see Lombardi/Hextall try to sign to help with ticket sales...

Purcell was a huge fan of Luc's growing up. Luc actually met with Purcell to convince him to sign with the Kings organization...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:17 AM
King Blazer

To the folks that continue to call Cammalleri a one-dimensional player I'll suggest that you probably need to expand your understanding of hockey. Really...

He creates more plays for others than he scores goals...

Off the top of my head, a few games back, (Calder's first after injury), Armstrong sent a saucer pass over to Cammalleri on the right side that a defenseman got a piece of after they entered the zone. The puck was flipping and bounced as it reached Cammalleri. He (Cammalleri) received the puck on his backhand, settled it and sent a zip pass to Calder for the one-timer all in full stride pretty much in one motion. That's a hell of a play and well beyond the one-dimensional player folks continue to try to paint him as...

In the Buffalo game, Cammalleri got a puck from Kopitar and came off the boards with the puck. He chose to go to his right (back hand), which resulted in a better blade angle (parallel to the goal) for Brown (in front of the Buffalo net) to receive the pass and finish. If Cammalleri goes to his forehand (left), Brown has to pivot a little in the clockwise direction which results in him having to receive the puck with his stick at a tougher angle (perpendicular) relative to the goal. Also, by going to his left, he makes the goalie have to hold the post and square to him which results in a better angle to help Brown. In other words, Cammalleri held the goalie on the right post and forced the goalie to have to go the further distance to get to Brown's shot. If you didn't get this when you watched the play, you might not have the understanding of the game you think you do...

He sees the ice very well and distributes the puck with pin-point accuracy more often than not. Think about how many times he's hit guys that come in the back with zip passes for goals. Visnovsky comes to mind rather quickly here...

He uses his body well to pinch opponents off the puck...

He's often the first forward back on the back-check and you'll rarely not see him with his stick and/or body in the lane it's supposed to be in...

You'll often see him pick up the junk in front of his own net...

Flame away folks...

Last edited by King Blazer: 12-09-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
To the folks that continue to call Cammalleri a one-dimensional player I'll suggest that you probably need to expand your understanding of hockey. Really...

He creates more plays for others than he scores goals...

Off the top of my head, a few games back, (Calder's first after injury), Armstrong sent a saucer pass over to Cammalleri on the right side that a defenseman got a piece of after they entered the zone. The puck was flipping and bounced as it reached Cammalleri. He (Cammalleri) received the puck on his backhand, settled it and sent a zip pass to Calder for the one-timer all in full stride pretty much in one motion. That's a hell of a play and well beyond the one-dimensional player folks continue to try to paint him as...

In the Buffalo game, Cammalleri got a puck from Kopitar and came off the boards with the puck. He chose to go to his right (back hand), which resulted in a better blade angle (parallel to the goal) for Brown (in front of the Buffalo net) to receive the pass and finish. If Cammalleri goes to his forehand (left), Brown has to pivot a little in the clockwise direction which results in him having to receive the puck with his stick at a tougher angle (perpendicular) relative to the goal. Also, by going to his left, he makes the goalie have to hold the post and square to him which results in a better angle to help Brown. In other words, Cammalleri held the goalie on the right post and forced the goalie to have to go the further distance to get to Brown's shot. If you didn't get this when you watched the play, you might not have the understanding of the game you think you do...

He sees the ice very well and distributes the puck with pin-point accuracy more often than not. Think about how many times he's hit guys that come in the back with zip passes for goals. Visnovsky comes to mind rather quickly here...

He uses his body well to pinch opponents off the puck...

He's often the first forward back on the back-check and you'll rarely not see him with his stick and/or body in the lane it's supposed to be in...

You'll often see him pick up the junk in front of his own net...

Flame away folks...

of course you have to point out the two times that he actually passed the puck. ssshh.

Old
12-09-2007, 09:56 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
of course you have to point out the two times that he actually passed the puck. ssshh.
I think there was a third time, it might have been last season, but I don't have the time right now to go back and watch all of last season's games to find it...

Old
12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
deeker*

hehe *high five*

Old
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Because that's what Lieweekly wanted to give him.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Because that's what Lieweekly wanted to give him.

Right. Because that sounds like Liewieke. "Money's no object Dean...Just get Blake here." Right.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:31 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

if landing stamkos means that he steps in as a top 6, while Cammy is moved for a young Dman or 2-way FW, then i think that fills more of the holes in the lineup and makes the overall team better....but then was all that leadership talk coming from management just baloney? They claimed that Cammy needed to step up in a leadership role, and from all appearances, Cammy has done exactly that this season...its kind of a cute scene with Cammy getting the A, and is noticeably working towards being a more vocal leader in the room and determined leader on the ice....its almost like everyone (management and Cammy) is working towards "leaderizing" Cammy...and after all this cute stuff, they're just going to cut bait over an extension...it would seem rather revealing that it was contract posturing from day 1....

instead, if any top FW is moved, i see it being Frolov, since he shows very little of that leadership quality demanded of Cammy, but rather shows more European streakiness and carelessness...possibly an exchange of nice contracts, just that we'll get a young Dman in exchange...

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Poor Cammy. Wearing that A makes him look like Grod after he was just hit with the giant Superman S.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
if landing stamkos means that he steps in as a top 6, while Cammy is moved for a young Dman or 2-way FW, then i think that fills more of the holes in the lineup and makes the overall team better....but then was all that leadership talk coming from management just baloney? They claimed that Cammy needed to step up in a leadership role, and from all appearances, Cammy has done exactly that this season...its kind of a cute scene with Cammy getting the A, and is noticeably working towards being a more vocal leader in the room and determined leader on the ice....its almost like everyone (management and Cammy) is working towards "leaderizing" Cammy...and after all this cute stuff, they're just going to cut bait over an extension...it would seem rather revealing that it was contract posturing from day 1....
Roenick was real vocal, too. Does that make him a leader?

Don't get me wrong; I don't know one way or the other if Cammalleri is a leader in the locker room... on the ice, though, I see very little leadership by example. Maybe that's me though.

Quote:
instead, if any top FW is moved, i see it being Frolov, since he shows very little of that leadership quality demanded of Cammy, but rather shows more European streakiness and carelessness...possibly an exchange of nice contracts, just that we'll get a young Dman in exchange...
Wow.

Frolov: scored in first game; three game pointless streak; points in 7 straight; two game pointless streak; scored in one; scoreless in the next; three game point streak; scoreless in two; scored in his last game before being injured.

Cammalleri: three game point streak to start; scoreless in one; 2 game point streak; scoreless in one; four game point streak; scoreless in two; scored in one; scoreless in two; scored in one; scoreless in four; scored in one; scoreless in one; scored in 3; scoreless in one.

So Frolov has the longer scoring streak, and Cammalleri has the longer scoreless streak. Frolov is the two way player. Cammalleri is the pure sniper.

But Frolov is the streaky, careless European. Right.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealive View Post
this is the first post in a while i've seen that starts with people talking sense about lombardi
Does that tell you something?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Roenick was real vocal, too. Does that make him a leader?

Don't get me wrong; I don't know one way or the other if Cammalleri is a leader in the locker room... on the ice, though, I see very little leadership by example. Maybe that's me though.

Wow.

Frolov: scored in first game; three game pointless streak; points in 7 straight; two game pointless streak; scored in one; scoreless in the next; three game point streak; scoreless in two; scored in his last game before being injured.

Cammalleri: three game point streak to start; scoreless in one; 2 game point streak; scoreless in one; four game point streak; scoreless in two; scored in one; scoreless in two; scored in one; scoreless in four; scored in one; scoreless in one; scored in 3; scoreless in one.

So Frolov has the longer scoring streak, and Cammalleri has the longer scoreless streak. Frolov is the two way player. Cammalleri is the pure sniper.

But Frolov is the streaky, careless European. Right.
both players can produce points...if sustained over the course of a whole season, Cammy showed that he's less streaky and defintely doesnt have a string of games where he seems to not care....but the hard stance DL took during the offseason was that a player must not only score, but needs to be a leader...he's obviously talking about the attitude of a player...he demanded that of Cammy and therefore took him to arbitration over that reason...Cammy has shown that effort to become a better leader...he stands up and calls the team out in the room...he's vocal on the bench...and on the ice, even when not scoring, he has never stop working and he's been willing to stand up for teammates...all signs that he's aggressively trying to be a better leader....now if this is the attitude that DL demands, Frolov doesnt fit this description very much at all...i think he's a better hockey player than Cammy, but in order for DL to remain consistent with his original stance of additional attitude over production alone, then Frolov should be traded before Cammy...it would seem a little awkward if it was the other way around...

Old
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
deeker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
both players can produce points...if sustained over the course of a whole season, Cammy showed that he's less streaky and defintely doesnt have a string of games where he seems to not care....but the hard stance DL took during the offseason was that a player must not only score, but needs to be a leader...he's obviously talking about the attitude of a player...he demanded that of Cammy and therefore took him to arbitration over that reason...Cammy has shown that effort to become a better leader...he stands up and calls the team out in the room...he's vocal on the bench...and on the ice, even when not scoring, he has never stop working and he's been willing to stand up for teammates...all signs that he's aggressively trying to be a better leader....now if this is the attitude that DL demands, Frolov doesnt fit this description very much at all...i think he's a better hockey player than Cammy, but in order for DL to remain consistent with his original stance of additional attitude over production alone, then Frolov should be traded before Cammy...it would seem a little awkward if it was the other way around...

well then I wish Cammy would stop trying to be a leader and get back to scoring goals.

btw, are you Ziggy Palffy?

Old
12-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Randart

Interesting thread mates...
Osprey great post here just loved it informative and I heartily agreed with it... One of your best imho, Squidly (squidward & deeker) & Deeks you guys are definately needed here sure you come off a lil high handed now an then but also make some fine posts an should never be voted off! KB always appreciate your insights even when I don't agree or they are actually aimed at disagreeing with me! You rule bro! But this Vision Quest guy... did he just insult every one at this blog??? Wow! Even Lubo's number one fan? That guy usually just tries to put positives on things an mediates us to a middle ground! Sheesh! I really enjoy the give an take here even entertaing to me most of the time... Yes even when I am getting bombed! I have learned alot from you guys!

Vision Quest I think you owe these guys a lil appology matey...

Now back to the thread, I have just looked into Stamkos a little bit so far so not enough knowledge yet about the kid. And on Cammy I have stated before I think his puck handling ability is magic and he has great repoirie with Lubo! When Cammy was just up I think he actually idolized Lubo a bit... or so it seemed in practice sessions I saw. This kind of team play is hard to replace its chemistry been built over a few seasons. I would hate to see Cammy go! And KB your points about his abilites I totally agree with man!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 04:15 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
btw, are you Ziggy Palffy?
either that or its just a really stupid screen name