HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan question

Old
12-07-2007, 07:12 PM
palffytofrovlov

vCash: 500
Fan question

I have been an LA Kings season ticket holder now for 4 years...and at yesterdays game I notice something that caught my attention. Why is it who ever we play? there are a ton of fans of the opposition at Staples? I swear when Buffalo scored the stadium got really loud and I am like isnt this the KINGS HOUSE? I have never been to any other arena for Hockey, I have been to a lot of different Ball parks in the U.S. but is it just me or do the Kings have more opposition fans then any other arena in the NHL? I mean if its Detriot or Vancouver doesnt matter there are a ton of fans for the other teams?

I know LA is the hotbed for people from other places but its annoying to see too many fans of the other team...

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
well considering the current schedule configuration, Eastern Conference teams in particular were only slated to appear in Los Angeles once every three years. i'm sure the relocated circled the date.

as far as the Detroit Red Wings go (for instance)... well everyone likes a winner.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Look where we live. This is a city of transplanted people. If only there was a way to limit sales of tickets to opposing fans. But there's not.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
palffytofrovlov

I understand there are a lot of transplants...Detriot is a different animal...

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov View Post
I have been an LA Kings season ticket holder now for 4 years...and at yesterdays game I notice something that caught my attention. Why is it who ever we play? there are a ton of fans of the opposition at Staples? I swear when Buffalo scored the stadium got really loud and I am like isnt this the KINGS HOUSE? I have never been to any other arena for Hockey, I have been to a lot of different Ball parks in the U.S. but is it just me or do the Kings have more opposition fans then any other arena in the NHL? I mean if its Detriot or Vancouver doesnt matter there are a ton of fans for the other teams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
well considering the current schedule configuration, Eastern Conference teams in particular were only slated to appear in Los Angeles once every three years. i'm sure the relocated circled the date.
Also take in consideration how awesome this team has been for so long, and their uncanny ability to sustain that awesomeness

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 08:30 PM
mikealive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Look where we live. This is a city of transplanted people. If only there was a way to limit sales of tickets to opposing fans.
why would you want to do that. its not like staples is full. i like jawing back and forth with opposing fans anyways. its part of sports. don't follow duck tactics. you go over there and the security is just waiting to kick you out. and now they don't let kings fan group sales for the kings/ducks games. thats just weak.

if i lived in buffalo, and i'm a huge kings fan, i would feel disrespected by the league for allowing that type of crap.

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 09:19 PM
HawkeyeKnight*

It's nice to have opposing fans in the arena, and it's nice to treat them with respect if they are enjoying themselves and behaving like human beings. I've met some great fans who have travelled great distances to come to Los Angeles for their first trip to the city, to take in a game. It's the jerk "Kings fans" who bait them and treat them as if they were sub-human that suck hard. If in fact we are ALL God's children, then rooting for an opposing hockey team, that we don't have the skill to actually play for ourselves, is hardly cause for disrespect.

Now what can we do about RENTAL MAN?

HawkeyeKnight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealive View Post
why would you want to do that. its not like staples is full. i like jawing back and forth with opposing fans anyways. its part of sports. don't follow duck tactics. you go over there and the security is just waiting to kick you out. and now they don't let kings fan group sales for the kings/ducks games. thats just weak.

if i lived in buffalo, and i'm a huge kings fan, i would feel disrespected by the league for allowing that type of crap.
Well, some of you don't like that other fans invade our building. I wasn't really trying to say that I wish no other fans could come in, but that's certainly how it looks and reads. When I went to the Pond a few years ago, I was treated well by their fans. The guy that sat next to me was cool.

I like having other fans in our building. When they want to talk trash, I'll say a few words of my own, just in fun, of course. When they're nice, I'll be nice. I certainly don't try to be obnoxious to people, that's an embarassment to everyone in the area.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeKnight View Post
It's nice to have opposing fans in the arena, and it's nice to treat them with respect if they are enjoying themselves and behaving like human beings. I've met some great fans who have travelled great distances to come to Los Angeles for their first trip to the city, to take in a game. It's the jerk "Kings fans" who bait them and treat them as if they were sub-human that suck hard. If in fact we are ALL God's children, then rooting for an opposing hockey team, that we don't have the skill to actually play for ourselves, is hardly cause for disrespect.

Great post hawkeye! Couldnt agree with you more!

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:

Good question. But just remebmer this new regime, which includes Robitaille, are still getting their feet wet. They all will get better through trial and error.

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
rsaturday

A little bit of smack talk is always good fun as long as it doesn't cross the line to personal attacks or stuff that will scare small children, offend women, etc.

One of the best lines I ever heard was when a guy yelled "Hey, Foote, what's it like to smell your own ear???" in reference to Adam's tweaked beak.

Now THAT is something that contributes to a great hockey atmosphere.

rsaturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:46 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:

Good post - the only time I get irritated is if they are jerks, otherwise, let them enjoy the game.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov View Post

I know LA is the hotbed for people from other places but its annoying to see too many fans of the other team...
not to be a smart***, but you just noticed this after 4 years? All part of being a sports fan in Los Angeles. You see the same thing at Dodger and Angel games. Like others have said, there are a lot of transplants in LA who bring their allegiances with them. In addition, LA also seems to breed a particular brand of bandwagoner who adopt the better teams in any sport. I guarantee you that half the Red Wing fans you see at Staples have never set foot in the state of Michigan.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
not to be a smart***, but you just noticed this after 4 years? All part of being a sports fan in Los Angeles. You see the same thing at Dodger and Angel games. Like others have said, there are a lot of transplants in LA who bring their allegiances with them. In addition, LA also seems to breed a particular brand of bandwagoner who adopt the better teams in any sport. I guarantee you that half the Red Wing fans you see at Staples have never set foot in the state of Michigan.
Yep, that's the one thing I cant stand. I have a buddy who's a die hard Red Wings fan. His Dad is a Ranger fan and he's grown up here and yet some how he claims allegiance to Detroit.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:25 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Yep, that's the one thing I cant stand. I have a buddy who's a die hard Red Wings fan. His Dad is a Ranger fan and he's grown up here and yet some how he claims allegiance to Detroit.

Or the classic example..drum roll please...THE DUCKS!! I know so many "hockey" fans that started watching and claiming allegiance to the Ducks when they started kicking ass last year!! now that pisses me off even more...

Old
12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
HawkeyeKnight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Or the classic example..drum roll please...THE DUCKS!! I know so many "hockey" fans that started watching and claiming allegiance to the Ducks when they started kicking ass last year!! now that pisses me off even more...
As someone who started really enjoying the Ducks games about 4 seasons ago (after over 25 years of futility with the Kings), I totally don't understand why anyone would get upset about jumping the fence. It's PAINFUL to be a Kings fan, and at some point you just have to want to enjoy the game, and enjoy watching it executed well. THIS season has been excruciating because without Selanne and Niedermayer, and still "hung over" after the cup victory, the Ducks have been tentative and not as dominant as they were last year. Seeing that Tampa and Carolina went through similar things WITHOUT the kind of player loss the Ducks went through, I guess I was prepared for a let down, but couple that with the Bizarro Kings, and it makes for difficult viewing within the local area. On Center Ice however, it's been a blast watching teams like Chicago and St. Louis become contenders, and once again, the season is made interesting by the incredible parity. My allegiance to the Ducks, my allegiance to the Kings, my allegiance to the Blue Jackets, my allegiance to the Wild... it's all predicated on watching well executed hockey. I am thrilled when I see a nice tic-tac-toe goal by just about any line, and the thunderous hip check or the flashy glove save... it all makes me happy to be a fan of the sport.

Just my $.02, though I am sure your mileage will vary greatly.

HawkeyeKnight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:01 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
As someone who started really enjoying the Ducks games about 4 seasons ago (after over 25 years of futility with the Kings), I totally don't understand why anyone would get upset about jumping the fence. It's PAINFUL to be a Kings fan, and at some point you just have to want to enjoy the game, and enjoy watching it executed well. THIS season has been excruciating because without Selanne and Niedermayer, and still "hung over" after the cup victory, the Ducks have been tentative and not as dominant as they were last year. Seeing that Tampa and Carolina went through similar things WITHOUT the kind of player loss the Ducks went through, I guess I was prepared for a let down, but couple that with the Bizarro Kings, and it makes for difficult viewing within the local area. On Center Ice however, it's been a blast watching teams like Chicago and St. Louis become contenders, and once again, the season is made interesting by the incredible parity. My allegiance to the Ducks, my allegiance to the Kings, my allegiance to the Blue Jackets, my allegiance to the Wild... it's all predicated on watching well executed hockey. I am thrilled when I see a nice tic-tac-toe goal by just about any line, and the thunderous hip check or the flashy glove save... it all makes me happy to be a fan of the sport.

Just my $.02, though I am sure your mileage will vary greatly.
I understand what you're saying. I enjoy watching other teams like the flyers and Detroit to see some well played hockey. but I dont claim allegiance and start getting all into how they're doing. its just for the enjoyment of the game. THe experience im talking about is people that I know personally, who started watching hockey just cuz the ducks were winning. Im not refering to anyone here on the forums..

Old
12-08-2007, 05:04 PM
VisionQuest*

Way to answer your own question.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Actually, that's completely different. The Ducks are a local team, at least.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Petter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Actually, that's completely different. The Ducks are a local team, at least.
Yeah, but still, no Kings fans will ever be said to be Kings fans just because the team is winning. At least not since 1993.

Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopitar View Post
Yeah, but still, no Kings fans will ever be said to be Kings fans just because the team is winning. At least not since 1993.
Yet some of the people posting on this very board became a Kings fan in '93.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote