HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good THN Article About the Kings...

Old
12-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Fripp

vCash: 500
Insightful blog. So the talent drafted 3-7 years ago are key players, and the scrub FAs signed as stopgaps are not ... who'd have figured that!?

Garbage.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
T2M

Quote:
You certainly can’t say L.A. has trouble attracting free agents – there’s a solid fan base, celebrities to mingle with and off-days at the beach.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-mistakes.html
This is a quote that has to be dealt with. It has become clear to me over the past few seasons that this is not a team that attracts the best free agents. Why? Because what you're selling there is a culture of transition, transition into retirement for those free agents. Let's break these factors down.

A solid fan base - That can't actually do anything to you and won't show up at your front door demanding your head like they do in Toronto or Edmonton. LA loves winners and ignores losers so you're either a hero or you can just go home and sleep at night, going out to the beach the next day.

Celebrities to mingle with - Yes, like this promotes a culture of winning at the game of hockey.

Off-days at the beach - Along with pre-game days at the beach, and after practice at the beach, and, if you're playing in the afternoon, post-games at the beach. Sense a pattern? The beach has very little to do with chasing a little black disk around a sheet of ice.

If you want to attract the top free agents you have to have a culture of winning. Heck, people sign in Toronto before they come here and Toronto has as much a culture of losing as we do. But at least in Toronto you're treated like royalty (at least until the season starts and you don't break Sittler's record for points in a game in the first game) and there are plenty of secondary income opportunities through sports shows and local advertising. But people line up to play for winners, they'll play for losers for the paycheck and the beach.

What I want to say is, quit selling the beach like it's a plus. You want these guys playing hockey, not thinking about surfing. That's why we get the UFAs we do.

T2M

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Captain Ron

Ladies and gentlemen....we have a winner!

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:57 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
What I want to say is, quit selling the beach like it's a plus. You want these guys playing hockey, not thinking about surfing. That's why we get the UFAs we do.

T2M

Been singing this for a long time.

Also, its to be kept in mind that European UFAs have a hard time justifying moving three additional time zones away from their families, and LA doesnt feel like a "city" to them as much. I cant go into too much detail, but seriously, the fact that this is LA and on the West Coast has contributed to difficulty in getting some euros that DT and even DL have wanted.

Build a culture of winning hockey and they'll come, it shouldnt be the other way around "come sunbathe and pick up chicks and help us build a winning culture!"

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:21 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
Who are you preaching to? The writer of the article? What's he have to do with what UFAs come here??

DL? How does DL have anything to do with some random article???

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Wawota

Forget the beach, but not so fast with DL to the trash

The Ducks have the same climate that we have to offer. Burke had the benefit of good young players in his pipeline from years of poor rec ords by the Mighty Ducks. He got lucky with Scott Niedermeier wanting to play with his brother, and with Pronger -- and with Beauchemin -- and you just have to hand it to him, Burke is an excellent GM.

Having said that, give DL a break and a little more time. We are not that far off of having an outstanding team -- read one top netminder. Blake has stunk, but maybe he will play better as he heals more fully from the surgery. Handzeus had health problems too and he is coming around. He was stellar against the Sabres. O'Sullivan rocks! Plus he has stayed healthier than Demitra. Oh, and Jack Johnson -- a DL acquisition, is the real deal, and will just keep getting better.

Nagy, Willsie and Crow can go.

But DL has done OK, and deserves a little more time, and it is a pipedream, but a better owner would be a big help. Chris Drury would have made a major difference.

Wawota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawota View Post
The Ducks have the same climate that we have to offer. Burke had the benefit of good young players in his pipeline from years of poor rec ords by the Mighty Ducks. He got lucky with Scott Niedermeier wanting to play with his brother, and with Pronger -- and with Beauchemin -- and you just have to hand it to him, Burke is an excellent GM.
Just to let you know.......Niedermayer signed with the Ducks before either Pronger or Beauchemin were acquired.

Old
12-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Wawota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Just to let you know.......Niedermayer signed with the Ducks before either Pronger or Beauchemin were acquired.
That is correct. Is there a point to that order of acquisition?

Oh, I see it now -- ambiguous writng by me. I meant that Burke was lucky in each of those acquisitions.

Wawota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wawota View Post
That is correct. Is there a point to that order of acquisition?

Oh, I see it now -- ambiguous writng by me. I meant that Burke was lucky in each of those acquisitions.
OK....It just looked like you were insinuating that Niedermayer signed with Anaheim so he could play with both Pronger and Beauchemin.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read here.

Jon Quick is the only player Lombardi has drafted who has played for LA yet, and his one game was an 8-2 win.

As has been said before, the writer of the article manipulated the stats to make Taylor look like a genius. He conveniently left out Lubo's -13. In fact Visnovsky has been one of the bigger disappointments this season.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read here.

Jon Quick is the only player Lombardi has drafted who has played for LA yet, and his one game was an 8-2 win.

As has been said before, the writer of the article manipulated the stats to make Taylor look like a genius. He conveniently left out Lubo's -13. In fact Visnovsky has been one of the bigger disappointments this season.
Jonathan Bernier?????

Old
12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Jonathan Bernier?????

Supposedly it was still under the old scouting staff and hence not a DL pick...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Supposedly it was still under the old scouting staff and hence not a DL pick...
While the scouting staff may have recommended Bernier it was Lombardi that selected him. Because I can guarantee you that if Taylor were the GM Bernier would not have been selected.....Also I just realized that Quick was drafted in 2005 anyway so he was a Taylor pick.

Old
12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Jonathan Bernier?????
My bad. I knew it was a goalie. I just had the wrong one in mind, although Bernier actually makes my point even stronger.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote