HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eric Lindros vs. Joe Thornton!

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 09:26 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
And you have six years and counting of no playoffs, headed for seven. Yet, you still talk smack!

But that doesn't matter...you have...STARS! :p

Hysterical!
Hey Trottier let's take it reeeeeeeal easy over there. The Islanders have'nt won a playoff series since 1993 when Glenn Healy was your goalie. So don't poke fun at the Rangers using the "playoffs" as your premise.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:32 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
Probably those 10 seconds Thornton was able to "compete" with Lindros before the TKO!
I was seriously called an idiot for insinuating that Joe would get handled by arguably the best fighter in the league. Thornton can fight, but against legit guys, even rusty guys like Lindros, he is out classed.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:41 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I was seriously called an idiot for insinuating that Joe would get handled by arguably the best fighter in the league.
Well, I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. Except for the anomolous fight, Brashear would have Thornton for breakfast. Sheesh! It's what the guy does for a living. It's less of a reflection of Thornton's limitations as a fighter and more one of the abilities of Brashear when the gloves are off. It's a silly discussion, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Thornton can fight, but against legit guys, even rusty guys like Lindros, he is out classed.
This one I don't agree with. I've seen Thornton fight and he's every bit as nasty as Lindros can be. I'm a bit suprised Lindros fought. It was stupid and courageous at the same time. Were the right he threw at Thornton thrown at him, I don't think he'd have a career anymore. Lindros just happened to catch Thornton in this one.

Old
01-19-2004, 09:44 PM
TrueBlue4life

Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue4life
Lindros
good to see him playing like his old self more and more each game...

Old
01-19-2004, 09:49 PM
xevious

Thornton's face is broken (well, fractured, actually); Joe dropped his gloves first.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_y...gid=2004011901

Old
01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
dkm

This is the only like I've benn able to find so far, but I'll keep looking.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/nhl1...98/detail.html

Old
01-19-2004, 09:54 PM
dkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevious
Thornton's face is broken (well, fractured, actually); Joe dropped his gloves first.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_y...gid=2004011901
Sounds like some sore losers in NY tonight

Old
01-19-2004, 09:58 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Most fights have "lucky" punches land

and this was no different.

When guys get knocked out it's a lucky (or unlucky) punch depending on your point of view :p

But to downplay the fact that it was BIG Joe Thornton getting KO'd takes away from Big E's ability to throw the dickbeaters.

concussions aside, he's the biggest SOB (aside from Chara) in the NHL and he's gifted with his hands. If the concussions weren't an issue he would probably be the best in the league at fighting.

People forget that the kid is a monster and strong like bull.

All things aside like injuries and such I would take Eric over Joe 7 or 8 out of every 10 fights.

With the Concussions, I'd have to say Joe wins 6 out of 10.

But aside from pure opinion, for those that watched the game, wasn't it great to see the leaders on both respective teams wear their hearts on their sleeves??

It's not often you get to see something like that happening. Doull and Simon can go at it all day long if they want to, but to see your Leaders actually get out there and lay down some blood for the Jersey is inspiring.

I truly became an Eric Lindros fan for that. (and trust it's not because he got the slight edge in the decision) Here's a guy that has had those head issues and still willing to lay it down on the ice for his team and teammates. Could have backfired, in a big way, but this time it didn't.

Also, it shows that Eric may be getting to confident in himself. For Rangers fans that's a good thing until he gets hurt.

Here's hoping he doesn't get hurt.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:01 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
How do you figure that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkm
Sounds like some sore losers in NY tonight

could you explain?

Old
01-19-2004, 10:06 PM
dkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
could you explain?
In the article both the Rangers coach and Nedved were basically calling the B's a dirty team. You could say the Doull hit was cheap, but I honestly don't think he meant to hit him that hard. Doull was almost stationary when they collided, it was definatly not a charging call. The McGillis "kneeing" was just bad luck. He was leaning in with the shoulder and misjudged the timing/spacing, from my perspective at least.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:08 PM
nyr5186

You can check out the video of the fight, plus the rest of the game highlights, here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=240119001

Old
01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
xevious

The actual quote was (from the NYT): "I didn't drop my gloves first," said Lindros, who did appear to cross-check Thornton after the two took a face-off in the Rangers' zone.
As for sore losers, us Ranger fans are used to the Rangers losing. We'll get em tomorrow. Should be a good one.
BTW, the B's fans in attendance showed a lot of class by booing Kasparitis as he was helped off the ice.

Last edited by xevious: 01-19-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old
01-19-2004, 10:13 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue4life
Lindros
good to see him playing like his old self more and more each game...
I agree!!!

Old
01-19-2004, 10:14 PM
TrueBlue4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkm
In the article both the Rangers coach and Nedved were basically calling the B's a dirty team. You could say the Doull hit was cheap, but I honestly don't think he meant to hit him that hard. Doull was almost stationary when they collided, it was definatly not a charging call. The McGillis "kneeing" was just bad luck. He was leaning in with the shoulder and misjudged the timing/spacing, from my perspective at least.
doull was out there only to hurt someone, that was so obvious... he should have never been out there in the first place, if nedved had the puck it would have been a great hit, but he didn't, not even close...

Old
01-19-2004, 10:20 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
This one I don't agree with. I've seen Thornton fight and he's every bit as nasty as Lindros can be. I'm a bit suprised Lindros fought. It was stupid and courageous at the same time. Were the right he threw at Thornton thrown at him, I don't think he'd have a career anymore. Lindros just happened to catch Thornton in this one.
I didn't mean to type it as Thornton is a terrible fighter, the guy can throw. However, it has been in the past against subpar competition. He's fought some decent guys like Warrerner and Simpson, but his competition has gotten increasingly worse over the last few years, with only Luke Richardson being a somewhat decent fighter, though he has gone from heavyweight gamer to a shell of his former self. He is good within his weight class, but guys like Lindros, who have taken on and beaten his fair share of heavyweights are IMO out of Thornton's class.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue4life
doull was out there only to hurt someone, that was so obvious... he should have never been out there in the first place, if nedved had the puck it would have been a great hit, but he didn't, not even close...
I didn't know you were working for the B's organization as a talent evaluator.

With Green and Sandy out B's should have some tough guy in the line up just in case the other team will take liberties. (It's not like Rangers are that clean usually)

And tell me why should team that is 3-0 on purpose go after other team's players?
Hmmm

Old
01-19-2004, 10:34 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Are you kidding me? You're actually arguing that Doull did not intend on hitting Nedved?

What a crock of ****. Just look at the highlight tape in the ESPN Page, he was skating towards him from before the red line - a good 15 feet away - then jumped up in the air right into Nedved with his arms up right at the point of impact. Regardless, the knee on knee by McGillis was dirty in itself. The fans tonight represented their team tonight to a tee, pathetic and cheap bunch of sorry sacks. Karma is sweet though as big Joe paid the price.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Marmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I don't beleive I remember Eric Lindros ever losing a fight when he was with the Flyers. He "tuned" just about everybody I remember him fighting.
Don't you remember that story of a fight in a bar between big Eric and Elvis Stojko?

Old
01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
sidelines

vCash:
http://www.raleighstreethockey.com/video/nyr.bb.hi.wmv

Theres the video for the tilt.

Old
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Are you kidding me? You're actually arguing that Doull did not intend on hitting Nedved?

What a crock of ****. Just look at the highlight tape in the ESPN Page, he was skating towards him from before the red line - a good 15 feet away - then jumped up in the air right into Nedved with his arms up right at the point of impact. Regardless, the knee on knee by McGillis was dirty in itself. The fans tonight represented their team tonight to a tee, pathetic and cheap bunch of sorry sacks. Karma is sweet though as big Joe paid the price.
Listen...Was it the last year when Rangers were fined and coach suspended for putting 3-thug line ( Oliwa - Barnaby - Sandy I think) against the other team's top line. Now..that was on purpose!

Knee-on-knee? That was a really unfortunate accident. Dan McGillis isn't known for that kind of stuff and I feel sorry for Kaspar( although you're right what goes around comes around). I believe Dan was trying to hit shoulder.

Before you start talking about dirty B's look at your trully sorry a*** team!

Old
01-19-2004, 10:50 PM
TrueBlue4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I didn't know you were working for the B's organization as a talent evaluator.

With Green and Sandy out B's should have some tough guy in the line up just in case the other team will take liberties. (It's not like Rangers are that clean usually)

And tell me why should team that is 3-0 on purpose go after other team's players?
Hmmm
lol the hit was dirty, there is no way to even argue that

Old
01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Listen...Was it the last year when Rangers were fined and coach suspended for putting 3-thug line ( Oliwa - Barnaby - Sandy I think) against the other team's top line. Now..that was on purpose!

Knee-on-knee? That was a really unfortunate accident. Dan McGillis isn't known for that kind of stuff and I feel sorry for Kaspar( although you're right what goes around comes around). I believe Dan was trying to hit shoulder.

Before you start talking about dirty B's look at your trully sorry a*** team!
The Thug line, they were up against their fourth line and yes the intent was to be goons. They were suspended rightfully so just as Doull and McGillis should be. How else can you explain the 5 minute majors and intent to injure penalties which btw come with a suspension and league review.

I know the Rangers suck, I know they're a bunch of shills but that doesn't change the fact the Bruins were cheap SOB's yesterday.

Last edited by #37-#93-#27*: 01-19-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old
01-19-2004, 11:01 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I could give a crap about my team. I know they suck, I know they're a bunch of shills but that doesn't change the fact the Bruins were cheap SOB's yesterday. If all you can come up with is a lame insult that's been repeated over and over again about the Rangers, to defend your Bruins then don't bother because you've already been beaten.

As for the thugline, get your facts straight. They were up against their fourth line and yes the intent was to be goons. They were suspended rightfully so just as Doull and McGillis should be. How else can you explain the 5 minute majors and intent to injure penalties which btw come with a suspension and league review.
The McGillis hit was not dirty; the knee on knee contact was an accident...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that, but I can see why a homer wouldn't.

The Doull hit: now that to me was cheap, and Doull will have to(or at least should) run the gauntlet with the Rangers' tough guys.

The Lindros shot: nice punch by Lindros...it wasn't too long ago that Lindros was the best fighter in the league...he would outright destroy guys pre-concussion days, although IMO he was also one of the dirtiest players in the league back then.

This is the first time Thornton has lost a fight since his rookie year (to Scatchard I think). Thornton, while not in Lindros' class as far as being a fighter goes, is an excellant fighter when he drops the gloves. I'd like to see the two go at it again...next time I think we'll see a closer outcome.

Injury aside, I think this a good wake up call to Joe Thornton. Get healthy soon Joe, and come back with a bur in your saddle and dominate like we all know you can.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 01-19-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Old
01-19-2004, 11:07 PM
xpat1313x

Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
[QUOTE=#37-#93-#27]The Thug line, they were up against their fourth line and yes the intent was to be goons. They were suspended rightfully so just as Doull and McGillis should be. How else can you explain the 5 minute majors and intent to injure penalties which btw come with a suspension and league review.
[QUOTE]
McGillis led with the shoulder and only connected knee to knee cause Kasper tried to avoid it.(Happened to me last year in High School Where I led with my Shoulder and connected Knee to Knee because he mover).Doull didn't get attempt to injure anyway He got called for Charging so there goes that arguement, he didn't jump, only reason it was a penalty was because Nedved Missed the pass. Doull slowed down before he hit him. And Just because the refs called and ATI doesn;t mean it really was, haven't you guys figured out that the refs are idiots yet. And Lindros Cross Checked Thornton in the face not once but twice before the fight which is what started the whole thing. Thornton Bumped into Gill just before they got going and was off balance when Lindros punched him, though he did get tagged not taking that away from Lindros it was a nice punch. Then late in the Game behind the Play Malakhov(sp?) cross checked Bergeron in the head in front of the ref and it wasn't called. I did not think the B's played a dirty game at all nor the Rangers it's hockey deal with it.Great Game I was there and enjoyed it which is really all that matters.

Old
01-19-2004, 11:25 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
The McGillis hit was not dirty; the knee on knee contact was an accident...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that, but I can see why a homer wouldn't.
The incompetence of some people these days and here I thought the level of iq was going up. Yes, I'm such a homer that I just said my team sucks balls and is a bunch of underachieving frauds. Of course I'm being bias.

Closed Thread