HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eric Lindros vs. Joe Thornton!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2004, 11:51 PM
  #51
xpat1313x
Registered User
 
xpat1313x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Middleboro, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
Watching the replay now. Doull was standing still when he hit Nedved so he definatley did not charge him, horrid call by the officials and nothing more will come of this.

xpat1313x is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:17 AM
  #52
nathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
You can also see the fight on ESPN.com in the NHL section.

nathan is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
  #53
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Doull was never able to make the NHL till age 29. Today, he showed why he doesn't belong there at all.

McGills stuck his knee out. Speculate about if he was "trying" to get him with his shoulder or not, bottom line is he "missed" and the knee didn't. Did Kasparaitis skate into the knee? No. Did he stick it out as he was skating past? Yes.

All this BTW is all in the replays. Should be hard to argue what's right infront of our eyes, but somehow we find people managing to do it anyway.

As was the big Lindros-Thorton matchup. Face off was taken, the two started pushing each other around, the two got into it, sticks went up, gloves went down, Joe went down. That about sums it up.

Bruins lose to injury- Joe Thornton
Rangers lose to injury- Darius Kasparaitis, Petr Nedved (possibly)

Bruins ejected from the game- McGillis, Doull
Rangers ejected from the game - none

Tells the story right there

If anybody has the right to look for "revenge" tomorrow, it's the Rangers.

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:25 AM
  #54
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I don't beleive I remember Eric Lindros ever losing a fight when he was with the Flyers. He "tuned" just about everybody I remember him fighting.
Marty McSorley got him once and the refs even did something I had never seen before they Grabbed Marty's arm while he had it cocked to unload on Eric and both players were still on their feet. Marty was pissed when he went to the box.

Also once when they played the Blues in STL Lindros turned down several challenges from Tony Twist. I dont mind that except he was trying to play tough with Geoff Courtnall and Craig Mactavish before this.

It was probably good judgement by the Big E though because Twist had TKO'd Shawn Antoski earlier in the game.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:26 AM
  #55
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
Probably those 10 seconds Thornton was able to "compete" with Lindros before the TKO!
I think if they fight again Joe will do better he can compete with Lindros?

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:29 AM
  #56
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmax
Don't you remember that story of a fight in a bar between big Eric and Elvis Stojko?
I thought it was Barnaby that Stojko beat up? Could be wrong though.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
  #57
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Doull was never able to make the NHL till age 29. Today, he showed why he doesn't belong there at all.

McGills stuck his knee out. Speculate about if he was "trying" to get him with his shoulder or not, bottom line is he "missed" and the knee didn't. Did Kasparaitis skate into the knee? No. Did he stick it out as he was skating past? Yes.

All this BTW is all in the replays. Should be hard to argue what's right infront of our eyes, but somehow we find people managing to do it anyway.

As was the big Lindros-Thorton matchup. Face off was taken, the two started pushing each other around, the two got into it, sticks went up, gloves went down, Joe went down. That about sums it up.

Bruins lose to injury- Joe Thornton
Rangers lose to injury- Darius Kasparaitis, Petr Nedved (possibly)

Bruins ejected from the game- McGillis, Doull
Rangers ejected from the game - none

Tells the story right there

If anybody has the right to look for "revenge" tomorrow, it's the Rangers.
Doug Doull rocks. If he and Purinton go tommorow tell that ***** not to jump Doull he may actually do better. Wait he jumped him and still lost.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 12:56 AM
  #58
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,010
vCash: 50
Wonder if this is the kind of thing that will ignite Lindros for the rest of the season? Would be fun to see him even close to what he was in the 90s. The guy was a monster back then.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
  #59
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Wonder if this is the kind of thing that will ignite Lindros for the rest of the season? Would be fun to see him even close to what he was in the 90s. The guy was a monster back then.
Lindros has been the Lindros of old for the last several weeks. Dominating. After taking the last 1 1/2 years off on paid vacation, he is a force again, playing for his next contract with Toronto. (At which time, a few NYR fans, of course, will call him every dirty name in the book for having the nerve to leave the greatest non-playoff team in the league.) If he keeps it up, NYR has a chance at a playoff spot. Otherwise... :p. Needless to say, Sather knows as much and has "Gretzky'd" the "Big E" x 2. Whereas #99 periodically had Semenko (and occasionally Lumley) riding shotgun for him, #88 has two bodyguards, including the hyper-sensitive Barnaby, who is smart enough to know that he's likely out of a job if he's not protecting Lindros. That said, kudos for #88 taking things into his own hands today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Doull was never able to make the NHL till age 29. Today, he showed why he doesn't belong there at all.

This from a fan of a team that carries Dale Purinton on it's roster! ("Oh but he's talented because he's our goon!")

McGills stuck his knee out.

Got to love it when blindly loyal fans call any hit against their team cheap, when the injured player himself says afterward that it was not a dirty play!

From The New York Times, 1/20/04: "...Of the collision with Dan McGillis, Kasparaitis said: 'I don't think he was intentionally trying to take my knee out. It's not a big deal.'..."

At least Kasparaitus is a mensch for accepting it like a man. He gives the same exact hits out regularly, he knows that injuries occur.


If anybody has the right to look for "revenge" tomorrow, it's the Rangers.

This coming from the same insincere poster who whined about the "dirty play" of Mike Peca a few days ago! Can you spell "h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e"? :p

(BTW, #37-#93-#27, none of this is directed at your comments.)


Last edited by Trottier: 01-20-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Trottier is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:12 AM
  #60
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Countdown to July 1: 162 Days.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:20 AM
  #61
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xevious
Thornton's face is broken (well, fractured, actually); Joe dropped his gloves first.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap;_y...gid=2004011901
facture and 'broken' mean the same thing. Broken just isnt used in medicine because it means nothing, and neither does fracture. The type of fracture is usually indicated. eg. compound fracture.


Is it just me or did Joe have his head turned away, acting like the fight was over and Lindros bent over and gave him one. Looked like a cheap shot almost.
edit: saw that video and Lindros dragged Joe down and then gave him one. Cheap IMO. If you're gonna fight then do it toe-to-toe, not pull the guy down and then throw one in his face.


Last edited by rye&ginger: 01-20-2004 at 01:24 AM.
rye&ginger is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:28 AM
  #62
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
facture and 'broken' mean the same thing. Broken just isnt used in medicine because it means nothing, and neither does fracture. The type of fracture is usually indicated. eg. compound fracture.


Is it just me or did Joe have his head turned away, acting like the fight was over and Lindros bent over and gave him one. Looked like a cheap shot almost.
edit: saw that video and Lindros dragged Joe down and then gave him one. Cheap IMO. If you're gonna fight then do it toe-to-toe, not pull the guy down and then throw one in his face.
Uh Thornton slipped, when he tried to hold his balance and get up he lost leverage at the same time got clocked. Hardly a cheap shot.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:30 AM
  #63
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Countdown to July 1: 162 Days.
countdown to Toronto inking Lindros you mean?

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:34 AM
  #64
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
countdown to Toronto inking Lindros you mean?
Yes.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
  #65
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Is it just me or did Joe have his head turned away, acting like the fight was over and Lindros bent over and gave him one. Looked like a cheap shot almost.
edit: saw that video and Lindros dragged Joe down and then gave him one. Cheap IMO. If you're gonna fight then do it toe-to-toe, not pull the guy down and then throw one in his face.
Maybe he should have helped him to the ice with a pillow ,toe-to-toe? while being fun to watch...certainly not the smartest way to fight..especially for heavyweights prone to brain-bruises.

Iggy-4-50 is online now  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
  #66
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Many people see punching a guy when he cant defend himself as being cheap. I consider this as the same thing.

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:42 AM
  #67
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Many people see punching a guy when he cant defend himself as being cheap. I consider this as the same thing.
A fight's a fight man, Joe would have hit Eric the same way if he got a chance? They are big boys who knew what they are getting into.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:58 AM
  #68
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
A fight's a fight man, Joe would have hit Eric the same way if he got a chance? They are big boys who knew what they are getting into.
My thoughts exactly. Just because the guy stumbles what you're going to think and even process in the second you have "let me wait till he gets up so we can go at it toe to toe". Spare me.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 01:58 AM
  #69
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Many people see punching a guy when he cant defend himself as being cheap. I consider this as the same thing.
Holy smokes man,how many times have you've seen a guy slip and then get up and wax his oponent? happenens alot,the good fighters see an opening and end it...nothing dirty what Lindros at all...its a fricking fight afterall. Not a dance lesson

Iggy-4-50 is online now  
Old
01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
  #70
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
If that's a 'slip' then fine. Lindros started pulling and pushing....thats not a hockey fight.

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 02:25 AM
  #71
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
If that's a 'slip' then fine. Lindros started pulling and pushing....thats not a hockey fight.
A fight is a fight.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 03:35 AM
  #72
TJF
Registered User
 
TJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
My thoughts exactly. Just because the guy stumbles what you're going to think and even process in the second you have "let me wait till he gets up so we can go at it toe to toe". Spare me.
Personally I had no problem with the fight, it was two big talented guys squaring off, unfourtantely Joe got the worst of it. Lindros did get his stick up high first right off the face off but Thornton did it back. They dropped em, I didn't like the fact that Lindros threw a punch as Thornton was falling but whatever, that's what hockey fights are all about. But I have a feeling that if the tables were turned and Lindros was the one falling to the ice and Thornton hits him with a right before he drops everyone on here would be calling Thornton dirty due to Lindros's concussion problems.

TJF is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 03:48 AM
  #73
I Am Ziggy Palffy
Registered User
 
I Am Ziggy Palffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
i didnt see anything wrong with the punch either..it was a fast and intense fight...its unfair to say that lindros should have just held up when thornton could have regained his balanced and kept going

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:01 AM
  #74
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Personally I had no problem with the fight, it was two big talented guys squaring off, unfourtantely Joe got the worst of it. Lindros did get his stick up high first right off the face off but Thornton did it back. They dropped em, I didn't like the fact that Lindros threw a punch as Thornton was falling but whatever, that's what hockey fights are all about. But I have a feeling that if the tables were turned and Lindros was the one falling to the ice and Thornton hits him with a right before he drops everyone on here would be calling Thornton dirty due to Lindros's concussion problems.
Who cares, thats hockey. I enjoyed that game. I hope the one tonight is played the same way. That was "Old Time Hockey" between two rivals. The NHL needs more of that in my opinion.

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 07:27 AM
  #75
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,778
vCash: 500
Fights between two stars or players you wouldn't expect to fight are always the best to watch.

Frolov 6'3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.