HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eric Lindros vs. Joe Thornton!

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Big Bill

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
If that's a 'slip' then fine. Lindros started pulling and pushing....thats not a hockey fight.
A lot of fighters tug to get the guy off balance. Domi does this a lot. There is nothing wrong with it. Lindros is bigger and stronger. So he tugged him, got him off balance and cleaned his clock. This is not boxing. This is a hockey fight. Clutching, grabbing, tugging, etc...

Old
01-20-2004, 08:15 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
A lot of fighters tug to get the guy off balance. Domi does this a lot. There is nothing wrong with it. Lindros is bigger and stronger. So he tugged him, got him off balance and cleaned his clock. This is not boxing. This is a hockey fight. Clutching, grabbing, tugging, etc...
It's called ragdolling, and Lindros did it because he was stronger. Thornton got popped because Lindros is a better fighter.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I dunno maybe I'm misssing something here. Here's what I saw:

Two big men get into a fight(each of the two over 6'4" and 230+ lbs)
Two Top 6 fwds on their respective teams get into a fight which is rare
Two guys who BOTH were ready to duke it out not just one of them
Two guys who got involved in a FAIR AND SQUARE fight

And one guy(Lindros) clocked the other guy(Thornton) with a lucky or unlucky punch(depends upon how one looks at it) right on the button and one of them ends up badly hurt.

Yet all we keep reading is that "Lindros shouldn't have tugged at him" or "Lindros shouldn't have punched him so hard" or "Lindros should have allowed JoeyT to regain his balance again" or "Lindros cheap-shotted him".....yada yada yada.

What a bunch of bull....I never heard so much crying in my entire 30+ years watching this great sport of ours...It was a fair and square fight and Lindros clocked him....simple as that. If it had been the other way around, I'd be saying the same thing and I'm a Ranger fan. Sure I'd be upset and dissapointed but I'd say the same exact thing that it was a fair fight and EL just lost and I'd get over it.

But lets get real folks, all this whining and crying is really all about Bruins fans being embarrassed that their captain, a guy who I don't recall ever losing a fight his whole career, getting abused and so their collective egos are bruised. And this whining is also coming from the many many Lindros detractors out there(which there are plenty of) being pi$$ed off that Lindros is playing great hockey again and looking more and more like the Lindros of old.

Bottom line: Lindros doesn't fight anymore. He once upon a time was a great fighter in his heyday, as good as anyone once upon a time(apparently he still is). Thornton is a good fighter as well as I've seen him pummel some guys in the past. They both went at it and duked it out like men and JoeyT got the worst of it. He'll be back and I'm sure the two of them will go at it again sometime in the future which is the way hockey is and should be. But lets stop the crying and complaining about Lindros being dirty and a cheapshot artist....OK?. Or that Lindros deserves to be "taken out" tonight and permenatly injured for his beating up of JoeyT.

Thornton, last I checked, has got just as much of a reputation of being a stick artist as EL.....so lets relax folks and chalk this one up to one guy getting a damn good lucky punch in....simple as that.

-Maxie

Old
01-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Agree 100% about the fight Maxie and will go one better.

Doull's hit on Nedved was a penalty, for certain, but worthy of a game misconduct? Only in today's sanitized NHL.

Likwise, McGillis' hit on Kasparasitus. One can seriously question whether or not that was even a penalty; Kasper himself shrugged it off after the game.

The NHL of today assesses many penalties based on injury or the "wow" factor of the hit itself, rather than whether or not an infraction has occured. Bad form, IMO.

A few years ago, it was suggested that the NHL needed to "clean up it's act" and eliminate the "unnecessary thuggery," etc. in order to make itself appealing to the masses, and in turn, generate more revenue (fans; TV $$$). Sound familiar?

Funny, years later, the sport is quickly becoming less physical than the NBA, more players are experiencing head injuries...and the league still is nowhere on the radar screen of the "casual" US sports fan! And, based on this board, you have a new breed of hockey fan who decries anything physical in a sport that has been based on a beautiful mix of grace and controlled violence since it's inception.

Note to the League (and many fans): STOP DEBASING OUR SPORT!

Last edited by Trottier: 01-20-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old
01-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Freudian
calmer than you are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus915
I dunno maybe I'm misssing something here. Here's what I saw:

Two big men get into a fight(each of the two over 6'4" and 230+ lbs)
Two Top 6 fwds on their respective teams get into a fight which is rare
Two guys who BOTH were ready to duke it out not just one of them
Two guys who got involved in a FAIR AND SQUARE fight

And one guy(Lindros) clocked the other guy(Thornton) with a lucky or unlucky punch(depends upon how one looks at it) right on the button and one of them ends up badly hurt.

Yet all we keep reading is that "Lindros shouldn't have tugged at him" or "Lindros shouldn't have punched him so hard" or "Lindros should have allowed JoeyT to regain his balance again" or "Lindros cheap-shotted him".....yada yada yada.

What a bunch of bull....I never heard so much crying in my entire 30+ years watching this great sport of ours...It was a fair and square fight and Lindros clocked him....simple as that. If it had been the other way around, I'd be saying the same thing and I'm a Ranger fan. Sure I'd be upset and dissapointed but I'd say the same exact thing that it was a fair fight and EL just lost and I'd get over it.

But lets get real folks, all this whining and crying is really all about Bruins fans being embarrassed that their captain, a guy who I don't recall ever losing a fight his whole career, getting abused and so their collective egos are bruised. And this whining is also coming from the many many Lindros detractors out there(which there are plenty of) being pi$$ed off that Lindros is playing great hockey again and looking more and more like the Lindros of old.

Bottom line: Lindros doesn't fight anymore. He once upon a time was a great fighter in his heyday, as good as anyone once upon a time(apparently he still is). Thornton is a good fighter as well as I've seen him pummel some guys in the past. They both went at it and duked it out like men and JoeyT got the worst of it. He'll be back and I'm sure the two of them will go at it again sometime in the future which is the way hockey is and should be. But lets stop the crying and complaining about Lindros being dirty and a cheapshot artist....OK?. Or that Lindros deserves to be "taken out" tonight and permenatly injured for his beating up of JoeyT.

Thornton, last I checked, has got just as much of a reputation of being a stick artist as EL.....so lets relax folks and chalk this one up to one guy getting a damn good lucky punch in....simple as that.

-Maxie

Agree. I think that some people because of Lindros shifting fortunes late in his career don't take him seriously anymore, but think of him as some kind of braindamaged clown. Then they get bewildered when he shows flashes of his own self.

Old
01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
kenabnrmal

What a pathetic thread this has turned into. Two big boys dropped the gloves and tussled, one got popped and the other didnt. If it wasn't Eric Lindros doing the popping, there would be NOTHING said about the fight. Honestly, Lindros can't do a thing right in some people's eyes...even win a fair fight against big, strong, similarly styled player. Baffling...simply baffling.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Bruins-Rangers game, fighting in the NHL

Have to agree with Trottier!

The NHL has done a spectacular job of making the game unappealing to the general public. Fighting is part of the game and so are monster hits! For one reason or another Gary (I wish this was the NBA) Bettman decided for the fans that game should not involve the one element that guaranteed a packed house in every arena.

If fighting is not appealing Mr. Bettman then why did ESPN (a network you have a tv contract with) use the B's-Rangers highlights as one of their lead stories. In fact if you go to the NHL page on ESPN, you'll see the Thornton-Lindros fight is their ESPN "Motion" clip!

Like Neely pointed out last week in his post ceromony press conference, "that's what the fans come to see."

This is not to say that the whole game should be a bench-clearing debacle but that as Neely said "the players should police themselves". Which leads to my next point....

Doug Doull should not have been suspended and neither should McGillis. I'm a Boston-based reporter and recently had a great chat with Paul Stewart who made an important observation. He believes that when Bettman put out the bounty on fighting and physical hockey, "referees started to call the penalties based on either the sound of the hit or the result, i.e.: if the player was injured."

Example A and B, Nedved and Kasper! As another post here said, Kasper absolved McGillis after, saying "I don't think he was trying to injure my knee."

So for the people that say, Lindros threw a cheap-shot, watch the tape, all he did was keep fighting. Nothing wrong with that. I actually question whether or not it was Thornton's head colliding with the knee of the intervening linesman that caused the fracture.

For those who say Doull is a dirty player, he slowed down before he hit Nedved and what do you call the sucker-punch Puriton threw at him?

Toughen up people, THAT WAS HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-20-2004, 07:26 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
All this BTW is all in the replays. Should be hard to argue what's right infront of our eyes, but somehow we find people managing to do it anyway.
I did see the replays, along with numerous other fans and also the NHL. McGillis showed no intention of going after Kasper's knee, that it was an accidental hit. Damaging? Yes. Dirty? No. Even Kasper thought afterwards that McGillis had no intention of going for the knee.

#37-#93-#27:

You alluded to Karma coming back to haunt the B's due to their plays on Kasper and Nedved, with Thornton receiving the brunt of Karma's laws with the knockout punch from Lindros. The McGillis knee on knee and the Nedved hit happened AFTER the Thornton knockout, so please explain to me how Karma from these described dirty plays had anything to do at all with Thornton. If you're looking for Karma, look no further than Kasper getting the worse end of a knee on knee collision, now THAT'S Karma.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:02 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
The Twister ragdolled a lot of guys, so does Laraque.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Alexander

vCash:
I am one of the biggest Bruins fans ever, but I feel anyone saying it was cheap is way off-base. Lucky? Perhaps. Regardless, Eric cleaned his clock. Thankfully... (it wasn't orbital)

Bruins captain Joe Thornton could return to action Thursday night after his cheekbone was broken in a fight with Rangers forward Eric Lindros.

Thornton, Boston's leading scorer, did not travel to New York for Tuesday night's game with the Rangers and was listed as day-to-day. The Bruins are off Wednesday before returning home to face the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday.

After Thornton was hurt in Monday night's 5-2 Bruins win, Boston general manager Mike O'Connell said he didn't think Thornton would be sidelined for long.

Thornton is expected to play with a face shield when he returns. He has 11 goals and 33 assists, including one of each Monday.

Closed Thread