HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik/Valiquette for Baranka/Montoya. Discuss,

Old
12-07-2007, 11:12 PM
jbfour

vCash: 500
Malik/Valiquette for Baranka/Montoya. Discuss,

Baranka looked good in his only game with the big club this year, and is getting great reviews in Connecticut. Malik... well, you all know. Lundquist needs to have more games off, so he doesn't play himself into a tired funk that can take games to recover from... he should probably play 60 regular season games a year, but not 75. And Montoya is languishing in Hartford. Removing Malik's salary from the payroll opens cap space for Montoya.
Why not?

jbfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why not?

Because Valiquette has played well enough for a backup. He doesn't deserve to lose his job because there are chemistry problems amongst the forwards, which is preventing them from scoring.

And very honestly Malik is not a major part of the problem either. If anyone on defense needs to be replaced, it's Strudwick, who was not signed to play regularly and is forcing his partner to play a very cautious game to prevent Strudwick's defensive lapses from showing. I'd have no issue with replacing Strudwick wth Baranka though.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 11:58 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfour View Post
Baranka looked good in his only game with the big club this year, and is getting great reviews in Connecticut. Malik... well, you all know. Lundquist needs to have more games off, so he doesn't play himself into a tired funk that can take games to recover from... he should probably play 60 regular season games a year, but not 75. And Montoya is languishing in Hartford. Removing Malik's salary from the payroll opens cap space for Montoya.
Why not?
Because it's totally unnecessary?

Because Montoya has shown nothing in Hartford this season to suggest he's ready for the NHL?

Because Valiquette's better suited personality-wise to stay sharp despite playing infrequently?

Because none of the Rangers losses this season have been Steve Valiquette's fault?

Because if the Rangers did manage to open cap space by removing Malik's salary, there are far more important things to use it on than a backup goalie?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 01:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

No, I don't think I'll discuss it at all.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Bretzky*

I'd take Baranka and Valley for now.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

What player to do you release to clear enough cap space to bring Montoya up?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:23 AM
jbfour

Wouldn't Malik's cap reduction offset Montoya?
And I wouldn't bring Baranka up to be the 7th D... I would play him with Mara, and Strudwick would revert to the extra guy, though he could always slot back in if Ivan needs some games off as he's getting his NHL rhythm.

jbfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:28 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Valiquette is fine as the backup. He's definitely servicable and I'd argue that he's better than Weekes was. I do think that Malik has to be moved. If it's for a forward (which would bring Baranka up) or another D-man IDK. However, he's gotta go.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote