Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Most Ridiculous Eklund Rumor Ever

Old
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
High Glove

vCash: 500
The Most Ridiculous Eklund Rumor Ever

"The rumour flying around last night was Koivu, Halak, and Prospect for Perry and Schneider."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I hope it will happen...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Pwnasaurus

Part of the reason the Ducks want to deal salary is for Perry purposes, otherwise I'm sure Hnidy and May or some small combination would have been dumped anywhere by now just to fit Nieds back.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

lol i dont see perry being shipped anywhere. what a stupid rumor. id give up schnieder, marchant, and dipenta for halak and koivu.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Levizk

Eklund forgot Ryder and a 2nd. If he's going to make **** up he needs to at least do it right!

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
lol i dont see perry being shipped anywhere. what a stupid rumor. id give up schnieder, marchant, and dipenta for halak and koivu.
Honestly I would not be shocked to see the Ducks deal Perry this year.

From what I understand, we cannot sign Perry to an extension due to 'tapping up' reasons until the season is over.

Perry being a RFA, will test the market and someone will offer him $6+ mil a year for 5 years. If Penner got what he got, Perry will get much more being the leading goal scorer for the team. I am not sure Burke will want to match it. He may think he better off getting something better than draft picks in a trade before the end of the year and this happens.

Maybe they would package Marchant with Perry, so we get rid of a problem with Perry.

It would suck if it did, and it would make the Kunitz deal look stupid, losing Perry by signing Chris for so much... But it would not shock me.

SoB

Last edited by SonOfBraincramp: 12-14-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: sorry typo - meant RFA not UFA
SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

heres hoping perry and getzlaf's friendship is really strong and he decides he wants to play with getz and the ducks for 4 to 5 more yrs.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
High Glove

Maybe I'm naive and blindly loyal, but I'd be flabbergasted if Perry were to be traded. If you cruise through some of the other hockey rumor sites, it becomes clear that Perry is very highly regarded by hockey fans outside of Anaheim, too. And given what happened with Penner after last season, I'd like to believe Burkie's competitive pride makes re-signing Perry absolutely imperative in his mind.

Perry's our leading goal-scorer right now. Having already lost our top two scorers from last season, I just can't see Perry being dealt unless the return is overwhelming.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Theridion

The only way I'd be happy with a Perry trade is if someone drastically overpaid for him.

If Burke sees Perry get an RFA sheet and can't/doesn't match, then we need a new GM because there is no reason this organization should be in that position.

its not like we have 5-6 really good young guys who we are afraid we are going to have to choose between because of the cap. We have exactly 2 good young forwards on this squad and we already lost a descent forward in Penner last year to RFA.

If signing Perry is too hard for Burke to manuver with the cap and junk, then we need a new GM who is willing to cut some players for the sake of what's most important.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:59 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

It not as a ridiculous rumor as you might think. The Mike Richards signing is going to have an effect on Perry getting resigned and if you look at the contract offered to players who where drafted in 2003 since this past summer, it's going to cost Burke at least 5m to keep him.

At some point, the Ducks have to decide... Do they want to try an keep the majority of the team together or have basically four players under the contract and a bunch of fillers?

Yes, I'm painting with a wide brush stroke, but that's the essential argument right now.

The Ducks are beginning to look at lot like the TB Lightning at this point.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Jakomyte

In terms of assets, Habs win hands down... I just wonder who would play center for us after this trade....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfBraincramp View Post
Perry being a UFA, will test the market and someone will offer him $6+ mil a year for 5 years. If Penner got what he got, Perry will get much more being the leading goal scorer for the team. I am not sure Burke will want to match it. He may think he better off getting something better than draft picks in a trade before the end of the year and this happens.
Is Perry not still an RFA after this season?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Theridion

We can't afford Scotty Nieds next year, and that's it.

We need to ditch our extra weight, like marchant, may, schnieder and youthen up, cheapen up a little bit.

Its one thing paying 4-5 mill a year to a young player who is producing, its an investment. Its another thing paying it to vets who are on their way out.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Markus078

My prediction is still:

Barker and Vandermeer (+eventually pic or prospect) for Schneider and Beauchemin

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
The Ducks are beginning to look at lot like the TB Lightning at this point.
Not necessarily. The Ducks have a proven playoff goalie who has won a cup. The Lightning have Holmqvist/Denis. The Ducks have the majority of their cap money invested in 2 HOF defensemen, one of which will come off the books next season, the other has 2 years remaining on a good contract cap wise given his ability and the current marketplace. By contrast, the Lightning have the majority of their cap tied up in 3 offensive players, who aside from Richards need to be scoring to contribute. Also, 2 of them are signed way past next season, I'm pretty sure all of which have NTC's which gives them little flexibility to change the complexion of the team in the immediate future.

The only problem I see with the Ducks giving Perry 5m is that in 09/10 a ton of Ducks are UFA's but to be honest the only ones out of the bunch that I think should be signed for market value are Pahlsson, Beauchemin and Huskins and by that time the cap alottment should be more than sufficient. Also I think our organization is in much better shape prospect wise and hopefully by 2010 some of the touted kids should be contributing.

Old
12-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
At some point, the Ducks have to decide... Do they want to try an keep the majority of the team together or have basically four players under the contract and a bunch of fillers?

Not really. We're in this situation already with S Niedermayer, Pronger, and Giguere eating up 6 million, plus. A team has no problem living with 4 or even 5 of those size contracts.

The problem we have is the timing screwed up. Getzlaf and Perry should expire the same time as Pronger and Niedermayer then Burke could evaluate which way he wants to take the roster. That the forwards expire before the two big defensemen makes things much more difficult.

Burke needs to do some magic and find a way to keep Perry next season even though it will be hard to do. The following year he gets back A LOT of cap flexibility. No new young studs to get huge deals and tons of big expiring contracts. 85% of the roster expires after 2009.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The problem we have is the timing screwed up. Getzlaf and Perry should expire the same time as Pronger and Niedermayer then Burke could evaluate which way he wants to take the roster. That the forwards expire before the two big defensemen makes things much more difficult.
That's a much better way of saying what I was trying to convey.

Old
12-14-2007, 02:24 PM
OSUlakers

ekland is a clown sometimes in my opinion. He does have his "sources" but i think a lot of the time he is just trying to get everyones attention.

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
SonOfBraincramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Is Perry not still an RFA after this season?
Yes, sorry for Typo.

SonOfBraincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
renodave

Eklund keeps burping out ever more ridiculous trade rumors. In the last week alone he had Marleau + Pavelski for Koivu and a Prospect and now this. These things don't even pass a minimal sanity test which normally he has. Hard to understand this as anything other than an attempt to attract page hits.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
190Octane

I think the cap I'd going to go up a bit next season and if Scotty plays then Schneider gets dealt, it isn't that hard to figure out.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Glove View Post
Maybe I'm naive and blindly loyal, but I'd be flabbergasted if Perry were to be traded. If you cruise through some of the other hockey rumor sites, it becomes clear that Perry is very highly regarded by hockey fans outside of Anaheim, too. And given what happened with Penner after last season, I'd like to believe Burkie's competitive pride makes re-signing Perry absolutely imperative in his mind.

Perry's our leading goal-scorer right now. Having already lost our top two scorers from last season, I just can't see Perry being dealt unless the return is overwhelming.
You're right on the money. In today's crazy sports world, it's not impossible that we trade Perry, but I'd say the odds of the Ducks winning the Stanley Cup for the next five consecutive seasons are a lot better than the odds of us losing Perry.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Perry is 1 of only 2 offensive catalysts on the entire team, and the only real goalscorer. And really, in the entire system. Bobby Ryan is the only other forward in the entire organization who has that kind of offensive potential. Not only is Ryan questionable as to whether he can achieve that potential, he's more of a playmaker than a goalscorer.

Trading him is tantamount to surrendering our team's ability to score goals. Or produce any kind of offense. Unless the trade return is a recent draftee on an ELC who is ready to score goals NOW, the team will not have the salary cap space to acquire a goal scorer.

I would rather trade almost anyone on the team than to lose Perry. Bertuzzi, Schneider, Kunitz, both Niedermayers, McDonald, even Giguere (even though he has a NTC). I would rather trade Edmonton's 1st, or Anaheim's 1st next year, to rid the team of Marchant or Bertuzzi than to lose Perry.

Penner was expendable because they needed the cap space to keep Perry and Getzlaf. Because they were the building blocks.

It's possible that Perry gets traded because nothing is impossible, but I simply cannot imagine a scenario where that would make sense. Getzlaf and he are the offense. The only reason the team even appears to not be able to afford him is because Burke needed to sign Schneider as a Niedermayer backup, while still having Niedermayer. I will bet that one of the 2 will be gone before July 1st, either through retirement or a trade.

PS. Why the eff would Halak have any value to us whatsoever? We don't need a prospect, at most some veteran stability for Portland while Levasseur works his way up to the AHL or one of last year's goalies makes the jump overseas. But really Eklund has demonstrated time and time again that he has absolutely no connections whatsoever with the Ducks so it's not really worth commenting on that rumor.

PPS. Even if Perry is traded because the Ducks won't be able to afford him, Perry will not be traded after the season is over. By accepting Niedermayer the Ducks are obviously making a Cup run NOW. You do not trade your leading goal scorer and 2nd leading point getter if you want to make a playoff run.

Last edited by snarktacular: 12-14-2007 at 06:17 PM.
snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Burke would be crazy to Perry right now. We need goals and he's our leading goal scorer. However I think the chances of him getting traded by either the deadline or before the draft are great. He's on pace for 40 goals and only turns 23 in May. He'll get crazy money next year and Burke may not be able to afford him, with or without Scotty. If he can trade Schneider and convince Scotty to sign retirement papers the day after the season is over than he'll have a good chance to sign. Otherwise I think he's a goner. Burke isn't going to be burned again and he will get something in return this time, not just consolatory draft picks.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote