Notices

OT Hasek vs Gaborik

Old
12-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Joe Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
but i guess a certain someone ramming a certain someones face into the glass while charging, from behind, with his elbows does? amirite?
Let's see if I can put this in vernacular you'd understand (based on your post)...

urawhiner

And what the hell does that have to do with this topic? It might be remotely topical if the game was against the Ducks, but even then it would be a stretch.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
TRIARII*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
did you see how far out of his crease he was? That was a very dangerous play, no way does that belong in Hockey imo
I COMPLETELY AGREE !

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
TRIARII*

Quote:
head down or not, having a goalie rush you sliding on the ice isn't the same as a normal check. Dom's center of gravity was about shin high on Gaborik, not to mention the momentum of dom and all that gear.

It's not like Dom took him standing up, he got speed and purposely slid into him pads out and contact was made behind the circles thats how far out he was. The last thing a guy is thinking about on a break away is getting his feet knocked out before he gets halfway to the goal.

I respect your point of view and all, but man I don't see much of a way to justify it myself.
completely agree

Old
12-08-2007, 03:50 PM
TRIARII*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taves View Post
Dangerous play. So every time a guy is skating down the ice with the puck, he ought to be prepared to have the goalie come sliding at his legs near the circles?

I think it's such a joke how goalies can typically get away with plays like that, yet a player skates by them, they fall, and the guy gets a penalty.

Gaborik's flip was pretty sweet though, thank God he's okay, he could have landed pretty badly.
completely agree , KEEP THE GOALIES IN THE NETS . and agree on the goalie interference calls being a joke .

Old
12-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIARII View Post
I COMPLETELY AGREE !
I agree with your agree!

I agree with your other agrees too.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
I agree with your agree!

I agree with your other agrees too.
i completely agree

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Dangerous play. So every time a guy is skating down the ice with the puck, he ought to be prepared to have the goalie come sliding at his legs near the circles?
He really ought to be prepared when it's Hasek since he's done that dozens of times over the course of his career.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:47 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
He really ought to be prepared when it's Hasek since he's done that dozens of times over the course of his career.
To be a jerk and provide a wildly inflammatory and pointless parallel:

Holmstrom really ought to be prepared when it's Pronger since he's elbowed people dozens of times over the course of his career.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
To be a jerk and provide a wildly inflammatory and pointless parallel:

Holmstrom really ought to be prepared when it's Pronger since he's elbowed people dozens of times over the course of his career.
I'm fairly confident Holmstrom and the rest of the veterans who've battled against him in the playoffs aren't surprised when Pronger does stuff like that. Just like other players who have played and seen Hasek play have seen this act and should know it's in his bag of tricks.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Well then Holmstrom obviously deserved what he received for not paying attention. Just like Gaborik obviously deserved what he received for not paying attention.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That doesn't make it okay for Hasek to pull that crap though.

Old
12-08-2007, 06:16 PM
theShiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Is there a dangerous play penalty in the NHL?
Yeah... you get a yellow card, right?

theShiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShiba View Post
Yeah... you get a yellow card, right?
actually i think they throw an orange flag on the ice.

Old
12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGoInThere View Post
To be honest I don't even know why I'm defending the hit, I don't like either team to be truthful. Then again, it may have to do with the idiot Wild fans I dealt with earlier on another site about the whole thing (I hope Boogard tkaes out Jiguere!!111!)...ugh

The call could have gone either way to be honest, I just think Gaborik's head being down should have factored into the penalty call. Yeah, Hasek is crazy playing way the hell out there, and it is dangerous, but Gaborik could have skated around him, jumped over him, or even shot the puck over him into the empty net then try to avoid Dominik.

Then again hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
Gaborik had three strides. During which time every player says oh s**t I have a break away!!! Then he looked up to see how to beat the Goalie in this case there was prolly another oh s**t moment. Gaborik did react to avoid the hit and that was to leave the ice and go over.

There is no way there was time to avoid that hit. No Way!

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Theridion

If the ducks had pulled that, jiggy would have a 10 game suspension and they'd throw pronger out of the game just for good measure.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:13 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz View Post
Gaborik had three strides. During which time every player says oh s**t I have a break away!!! Then he looked up to see how to beat the Goalie in this case there was prolly another oh s**t moment. Gaborik did react to avoid the hit and that was to leave the ice and go over.

There is no way there was time to avoid that hit. No Way!
Yes there was. There was enough time for him to avoid it, I've seen plenty of guys who get a pass look down at first, then look straight up to see if there's any defensemen coming at him almost right away. Gaborik should have looked up anyways, even if he thought he had a breakaway, because who knows if a defenseman would come out of nowhere to nail him. Perhaps he reacted as best he could considering his head was down, but he could have had enough time to jump over Hasek if it wasn't. But like I said, hindsight is 20/20, and everything has been said and done and no one got seriously hurt.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:53 AM
FissionFire

I woulda loved to see Hasek forego with the flop-n-stop and instead plant his shoulder into Gaborik's chin and layed his out Czech-roller-hockey style for skating with his head down. That woulda been awesome, although somehow I think an actual goalie throwing a body check would be considered illegal or something.

P.S: bullocks is a troll who annoys me to no end, and I'm a Wings fan. I really wish he'd go root for the Leafs. He's about as smart as their fans are.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I woulda loved to see Hasek forego with the flop-n-stop and instead plant his shoulder into Gaborik's chin and layed his out Czech-roller-hockey style for skating with his head down. That woulda been awesome, although somehow I think an actual goalie throwing a body check would be considered illegal or something.

P.S: bullocks is a troll who annoys me to no end, and I'm a Wings fan. I really wish he'd go root for the Leafs. He's about as smart as their fans are.
Seriously, you're the best Wings fan I've seen.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Nordique

Quote:
I don't think it deserved a penalty at all. Hasek was going for the puck (and got it) and if Gaborik was even paying any attention (keeping his head up), he wouldn't have been flipped like that.

Yet another example as to why players need to keep their heads up. You'd think they'd learn.
Easy to say for a bunch of fat middle aged guys on a message board like us.

I mean, I'm sure when you scored your 40 goals in a season, you had a plenty of breakaways and you always kept your head up, but these guys today just don't have all the skills you did either...right?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 09:20 AM
puckwild

Quote:

I think it's such a joke how goalies can typically get away with plays like that, yet a player skates by them, they fall, and the guy gets a penalty.

Gaborik's flip was pretty sweet though, thank God he's okay, he could have landed pretty badly.
Perfectly stated... 2 minutes was good enough.

Your friendly whining idiot Minnesota fan

puckwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post

I mean, I'm sure when you scored your 40 goals in a season, you had a plenty of breakaways and you always kept your head up, but these guys today just don't have all the skills you did either...right?
I agree. A lot of players put their head down to make sure they have the puck properly on the blade after receiving the pass. In fact, that's one of the key times for an opposing player to try to lay a hit, and they do attempt to do just that.

I don't like what Hasek did at all. The 2 minute call was fine for me. Hasek lead with his legs, and caught Gaborik at the knees. It was a penalty, and I don't see any other way to interpret it. I'm glad Gaborik is okay (yes, despite not like Minnesota at all) and he's lucky.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
treybrown

Send a message via AIM to treybrown
Who Cares!!!!

treybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post

I said that because there's been SEVERAL instances of players getting hit with their heads down (Eric Lindros for one, who ended up getting several concussions). I would like to think that other players see things like that, and think "hey, maybe I shouldn't keep my head down!" Which is why I'm so down on Gaborik.

But hey, I have no right to criticize, I never played in the NHL.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Keetz

Quote:

But hey, I have no right to criticize, I never played in the NHL.
If you think that collision was avoidable it makes me wonder if you've ever been on skates.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Zing!

I dislike it when fans say 'he should have kept his head up'. Sure it's a good rule, just like looking both ways before crossing the street. But it's not as easy as you might think, even for the pros.

Gaborik is a smart player, positionally aware. He knew he was behind the defense there. Heck anyone watching the game could see he was. So in his mind, all he had left to do was:

1) Accelerate to make space between him and the defense behind him while
2) Corralling the puck, making it sit so he could get a scoring chance

He did both of these in 3 strides. You're not going to expect Shawn Merriman to come and clip you at the top of the circles, much less avoid it in time. On skates.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote