HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malik rips Renney over benching (merged)

Old
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
WheresBarnaby

vCash: 500
Bye Bye Gentle Giant.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
this is what bothers me. The guys getting no explanation. TR needs to man up and communicate to the vets and rooks alike.

What explanation is needed? If I'm Tom Renney, and I bench Malik after his performance on Thursday, what is there to say? Marek Malik is a veteran NHL defenseman. If Tom didn't even say hello to him Friday morning, Malik's response to the media STILL should have been, "I played terrible on Thursday. There's no excuse for the type of game I had and hopefully I'll be back on the ice soon enough to try and redeem myself."

"Well, Marek, did Tom explain anything to you about why you were sitting tonight?"

"No, not yet. But we've got 3 games in 4 days and now might not be the time. I played awful, that much was obvious. There's no need for an explanation right now."

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Huh? If Malik wants to know why he's benched, show him same game tape. At the moment, he's not playing at a Strudwick level, nevermind a Staal level.

That said, I'm not eager to part ways with Malik completely. The guy can be serviceable and depth on defense is not something this team can afford to give up right now. The way EVERYONE is playing, there should be a platoon going until the group as a whole can pull it together.
Malik is still way better than Struds. Heck, Girardi is playing worse that Struds last 5 games or so.
I think Renney is a bit lost now, he doesn't know what exactly should be done in order to pick up Rangers play.
So he benched Malik against Atlanta...and it didn't went exactly well right?
So thats why Malik is frustrated - he is not the biggest or only problem, but still get benched. I guess justice must suck sometimes

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
TomLaidlaw

Nothing like whining to the press while your team is in the middle of a losing streak. So much for keeping things in house. The sarcastic tone in his statement is what I found most irritating.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:28 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I'm not Malik fan at all, but he doesn't deserve this crap.
I understand that for many people is easy just to pick up one scapegoat(because usually they know jack about hockey), but it's INCREDIBLY lame.

Right now i wish Malik was traded elsewhere, for his own sake, not that he is that bad as many people think, but he simply doesn't deserve this ********.

Last three games noone from entire Rangers platoon played good, including Henrik.
But of course, someone will get free pass, talk about double standards...
Dude Malik has made a glaring error (sometimes multiple) in practically every one of his last 40 games. He deserves everything he gets. Hopefully its luggage. You can not argue that we werent better off with Strudwick in the lineup than him. Strudwick is physical and Malik is a 6' 6" Bambi that doesnt hit anyone.

Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out, Malik.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Malik is still way better than Struds. Heck, Girardi is playing worse that Struds last 5 games or so.
I think Renney is a bit lost now, he doesn't know what exactly should be done in order to pick up Rangers play.
So thats why Malik is frustrated - he is not the biggest or only problem, but still get benched. I guess justice must suck sometimes

How is he better than Struds? He has no physicality at his size. He has no heart. He has no brain.

I don't know what games you are watching. Are you looking at the +/- maybe? Theres a reason why almost everyone thinks he sux. Its because he sux. The only thing he is good at is the first pass out of the zone. He cant use his size to get position on people. He goes nowhere near physical play and he skates like a bag a rocks.

Oh, theres also that cool "throw the puck blindly to the opposition" play hes so very good at.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Evgeny Oliker

for some reason you guys all forget that we still have Pock in the minors. Pock can do exactly what Malik was supposed to do, but better.

Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Rozsival
Pock - Mara
Strudwick

If that doesnt work, we make a trade. But I think we'll be fine with these pairings.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:36 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't think Pock makes it back up.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 10:59 AM
squishy

Not for nothing, but having read what Malik actually said, the subject line of this thread comes off as a bit of an exaggeration. It's downright Larry Brooks-esque actually. What he said is no worse than things Pock and Mara said after being made healthy scratches. But yet everyone likes to target Malik, so somehow this is him "ripping" his coach?

I agree he shouldn't have said it, but what he said is hardly the dramatic indictment the subject line implies.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:02 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
for some reason you guys all forget that we still have Pock in the minors. Pock can do exactly what Malik was supposed to do, but better.
Pock's not even the best defenseman in Hartford. Malik has his flaws, but Pock can't even dream of being half as good in his own zone as Malik has been over his career right now.

Now, if you were to suggest bringing up Baranka or Hutchinson, then maybe we could talk...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:09 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
I'm not sure about WAY better. He obviously is a better skater, and has better athleticism...but he gets caught out of position just as much, if not more than Struddy, and Strudwick plays alot of things safe (like a 4th liner would)...where as Malik makes dumb mistakes and turnovers that are uneccessary most of the time.

Struddy plays much smarter and within himself...he is a self-aware man. Malik is not steady and brings nothing positive to the lineup outside of being another Czech.

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Pock's not even the best defenseman in Hartford. Malik has his flaws, but Pock can't even dream of being half as good in his own zone as Malik has been over his career right now.

Now, if you were to suggest bringing up Baranka or Hutchinson, then maybe we could talk...
I don't understand why you doubt on Pock abilities. You have forgotten, how he played last Playoffs. He plays really solid in Hartford.

The other defensemen which you have mentioned are not better than Pock. Even Hutchinson has showed some terrible games this year.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Not for nothing, but having read what Malik actually said, the subject line of this thread comes off as a bit of an exaggeration. It's downright Larry Brooks-esque actually. What he said is no worse than things Pock and Mara said after being made healthy scratches. But yet everyone likes to target Malik, so somehow this is him "ripping" his coach?

I agree he shouldn't have said it, but what he said is hardly the dramatic indictment the subject line implies.

Does the sarcasm meter in your brain work?

sar-casm: a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

His comment was a complete rip at the head coach and offensive. Who cares what Thomas Pock said? He was never an integral part of this team. It's much easier to brush something off when it's said by a nobody. Marek Malik has been a top pair defenseman here. When he makes comments like this it is a much bigger deal. I've defended Malik for a long time and on plenty of occasions (even though I've never been happy with his play). But this is inexcusable and if I was Tom Renney I'd make an example out of and him and explain to the rest of the team that if you want to question me publicly you're not going to play. Period. Now, this isn't Renney's style, I understand. But sooner or later he needs to show that he's in charge and no matter how much of a player's coach he is that he is in control.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Sad that it has to come to this. I wish the Rangers could've moved Malik a long time ago, for anything. Like him or not, I think it's becoming more and more evident that he's not an ingredient for a winning Rangers recipe.
yup, sad its come to this, but Malik is not playing well. Renney is doing what he needs to do.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I don't understand why you doubt on Pock abilities. You have forgotten, how he played last Playoffs. He plays really solid in Hartford.

The other defensemen which you have mentioned are not better than Pock. Even Hutchinson has showed some terrible games this year.
I think what happens is that you being to judge people's ceilings as an NHL'er...kind of what is happening to Nigel. I think Pock is a serviceable Dman who provides depth. But not sure about how good he can be...but hey, I'm not coach. I once thought Darren Turcotte was going to be an All-Star for years to come (granted i was in 6th grade).

Pock has to fit though....if we lose Malik in the lineup, he can't be replace with a physical clone of Girardi.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Does the sarcasm meter in your brain work?

sar-casm: a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

His comment was a complete rip at the head coach and offensive. Who cares what Thomas Pock said? He was never an integral part of this team. It's much easier to brush something off when it's said by a nobody. Marek Malik has been a top pair defenseman here. When he makes comments like this it is a much bigger deal. I've defended Malik for a long time and on plenty of occasions (even though I've never been happy with his play). But this is inexcusable and if I was Tom Renney I'd make an example out of and him and explain to the rest of the team that if you want to question me publicly you're not going to play. Period. Now, this isn't Renney's style, I understand. But sooner or later he needs to show that he's in charge and no matter how much of a player's coach he is that he is in control.

But what is Renney's style is to say things like "I'll have to watch game tape".

Ummm...i think he doesn't need to watch game tape. That's his way of saying the proof is in the puddin'. Thats his way of saying..."You want to know why Malik? You think I don't have calculated reasons when making decisons?"

Renney said alot with that statement...IMO.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
I once thought Darren Turcotte was going to be an All-Star for years to come (granted i was in 6th grade).
Actually I was a freshman in High School when Darren came up...man I'm old.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
But what is Renney's style is to say things like "I'll have to watch game tape".

Ummm...i think he doesn't need to watch game tape. That's his way of saying the proof is in the puddin'. Thats his way of saying..."You want to know why Malik? You think I don't have calculated reasons when making decisons?"

Renney said alot with that statement...IMO.

Ehhh I see where you're going. I didn't necessarily take his comment that way but I can see how you feel that way. To me, the coach is looking at a million different things during the actual game and not focusing in on one particular aspect for sixty minutes. If he is than we're in serious trouble. It's also obvious to me that Renney has more respect for his players than Malik has for his coach. Renney could have hung him out to dry right there and made him look like a fool just like Marek did to him. But Renney has much more class than Frankenstein.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:30 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
can we just get rid of malik and all this drama? i dont care where we send him....just get him out of here

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Is he being sarcastic? I don't see where he's ripping Renney.

Edit: Oh, he is.

12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Ehhh I see where you're going. I didn't necessarily take his comment that way but I can see how you feel that way. To me, the coach is looking at a million different things during the actual game and not focusing in on one particular aspect for sixty minutes. If he is than we're in serious trouble. It's also obvious to me that Renney has more respect for his players than Malik has for his coach. Renney could have hung him out to dry right there and made him look like a fool just like Marek did to him. But Renney has much more class than Frankenstein.
True. But i think Malik's mistakes stand out easily. And let's remember, this was guy on the fence well before his injury (being a healthy scratch already this year).

I agree that he def gives more respect to his players than sometimes deserved. He is def a players' coach in that respect. He said that someone couldn't lose their job because of injury.

Old
12-08-2007, 11:53 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
can we just get rid of malik and all this drama? i dont care where we send him....just get him out of here
i agree, id rather use that salary to resign mara. i think mara can be a good player or us. He is only 28 so he is still young. He can fight as well which he has not done as a Ranger. At least he sticks up for teammates.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

The guy played a great game the first game back from his injury and figured that he could ease off the pedal and not play with urgency. Sorry pal, but just because the rest of the team is playing poorly doesn't mean you're absolved from logical reasoning (AKA a benching).

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
no one has ever said that Malik is the only scapegoat. Clearly the whole team has not played well lately.

What I despise about Malik is not just his play, but his lack of Responsibility for his play. This comment is repulsive:

"So you asked me why? Probably because I was the reason we lost those games - because I didn't help to score some goals, I guess."

He actually thinks that what he did wrong was not score goals! That is so ridiculous. It also shows that he feels that his play defensively is fine...since he didnt mention that at all. For a defenseman to improve defensively , he must first admit that he is not playing well defensively. Yet Malik would never admit that. He just feels that because he is part of the Czech possy, he can do nothing wrong and should play every game.

I would ship Malik for a 7th rounder or a bag of pucks, TODAY. Not because he is the scapegoat...but because when Girardi makes a mistake, he can at least admit it and not be an arrogant you know what about it.
Plus, Girardi has the hockey sense to LEARN FROM the mistakes he makes. Girardi making rookie mistakes is understandable. Malik making them over and over again is maddening.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Chris 84

I've been a big fan of Renney for a long time, but benching Malik is ludicrous. Why can no-one seem to work out that when Malik plays we tend to win?
Our best defender should be playing every night. Plus minus on this board is ignored so much. Since Malik got here he's done excellent for us

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote