HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some food for thought - Dawes Dominating AHL

Old
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

vCash: 500
That makes me sick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOnEs516 View Post
Its just really sad. And to see that the Caps beat the Thrashers makes me want to throw up.
right, that makes me sick!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
right, that makes me sick!
agreed

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Leave him down there...doesn't he have 2 or 3 goals on Brodeur already this season.
i totally agree

this shows that hes got NHL talent - not to mention he beat brodeur 5 hole

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
i totally agree

this shows that hes got NHL talent - not to mention he beat brodeur 5 hole
I think the twisted wrister top shelf glove side was more impressive than the five-hole goal

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
NYR Viper

i think dawes and parenteau should come up together.......and play with callahan....send dubi back down for a little while to get his confidence back and see what those two could do together with cally who dawes played with last year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
I was pissed when he was sent down in the first place. His time is now and the Rangers cant be stupid enough to pass it up.

Btw Inferno what section were you in at last nights game?
304 S 10, 304 S 11 was my brother

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:25 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I'd like to see Dawes be given a chance as well, for all of the reasons mentioned above. However, dominating the AHL means nothing for how you're going to produce in the NHL (ie: Ryan Callahan).
or Jason Krog..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:26 AM
NYR Viper

....true....but i think both of those players have been given more of a chance then dawes......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:32 AM
xander

dawes was dominating the AHL before he was called up. its no suprise that he has resumed that course after being sent down.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Dubinsky is a -7, and only has 2 more points than Dawes while having 13 more GP.

Send Dubinsky down, call Dawes up, and give this lineup a try.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Shanahan
Prucha-Betts-Callahan
Hossa/Strudwick-Hollweg-Orr

Rozsival-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Malik (the $5.5m pair, while the top 4 = $4.6m)

Last edited by Carlos Ranger: 12-09-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 06:17 AM
eco's bones

Dubinsky's -7 comes from the last 3 games and is not a good indicator of the season he's had. I would not send him down. I have no problem with the Rangers recalling Nigel but deciding where to fit him into the lineup is one problem--maybe with Gomez and Shanny--and whether he can stay focused and play a rounded game is another. He has had quiet AHL games by the way. He has had others where he completely dominates. You could say the same about Montoya as well. Nigel IMO though is an NHL caliber player--but for him to become a permament player with us someone will probably need to be moved. So then maybe Slats should start working the phones.

Lost in all the hubbub about Dawes though is the play of Greg Moore--who had a hat trick last night--has 27 pts. in 24 games now--is an astounding +19 for the season has a more rounded game than Dawes and is a big big guy (has height and is built like a tank--think Dustin Penner)--size is something we could use. I'd think seriously about calling him up too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:39 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Prucha - Straka -Jagr
Dawes - Gomez--Shanahan
Drury - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Betts - Orr

Avery out for a while
Hossa sent down traded or waived

Rozsival-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Malik*

Strudwick

* - Preferably traded, sent down or waived

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Garv23

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like Dawes. He's got scoring skills, but that's pretty much it. At least from what I've seen. The dude was completely invisible while up, with the exception of Devils game. (actually..maybe that's reason enough TO call him up for today haha)
I don't know man, I'm sick of these little fellas with a scoring touch. I'd MUCH rather have a guy like Moore up because like Eco's Bones said, we could use a more well rounded player with size.

Just my useless $.02. Continue on...

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Chimp

Dawes was invisible while he was up, sure. Like he's the only one? What about Prucha for example? I haven't noticed him on the ice for 25 games now.

Dawes has more goals (4) than Prucha (2) and Hossa (1) combined and they have played 29 and 25 games respectively, while Dawes has played 16. What sort of upside does Prucha have apart from not scoring, that Dawes doesn't have?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:35 AM
chosen

Hossa is +6 on a team where few are plus at all. Why all the hate? It doesn't matter how much you score. All that matters is that you score more than the opposition while on the ice. And no one can point to Jagr being the reason for Hossa's stats.

Jagr is -5.

Better to score 6 goals and give up none than to score 18 goals and give up 23.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Turambar

of course he's dominating the AHL, he was before he was called up, why would that change?

the problem wasn't his offense, it was his play away from the puck.

that said, I think right now Dawes should take Callahan's roster spot. I absolutely loved this guy last spring, but face it, Callahan hasn't done dick lately. He's become too comfortable in that Rangers jersey. Like many others have said, put some competition into the roster, then maybe we'll see guys like Callahan, Prucha, Hossa, even Malik, up their level of play.

Also, I think Malik should really just be waived at this point. It's clear that Renney is finally realizing that the guy doesn't belong on a top defensive pair, and that he detracts from the play of Rozsival, whereas Staal does the exact opposite. He's not going to pair Malik with Mara, I just don't see it happening, so where does that leave him? Either top pair, or scratched. Time to let him go..

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 08:41 AM
JerseyRangers

Call him up. Let him take Hossa's place or maybe even Prucha's place. We need offense and he certainly can provide that!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Prucha - Straka -Jagr
Dawes - Gomez--Shanahan
Drury - Dubinsky - Callahan
Hollweg - Betts - Orr

Avery out for a while
Hossa sent down traded or waived

Rozsival-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Malik*

Strudwick

* - Preferably traded, sent down or waived
Just look at the lines here--and the point I'm trying to make might be more apparent--Jagr's playing with two small guys, Shanahan (a 38 year old) is playing with two small guys. Dubinsky on the third line is playing with two small guys. On the 4th line Hollweg is very stocky but not big either and that line has scored two goals all season--one on an empty net. The forward corps is too small. And putting Dawes in for Hossa whether he's a better player or not is not going to help us win battles in the corners and along the boards.

Let's go back to the Jagr line--Jaromir is almost never the first guy in forechecking if the puck is fired in--that means Prucha and/or Straka have to do the job of retrieval. That is going to have to be done with speed because however willing those two are to play physical they are most of the time not going to come up with the puck in one on one battles.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:29 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like Dawes. He's got scoring skills, but that's pretty much it. At least from what I've seen. The dude was completely invisible while up, with the exception of Devils game. (actually..maybe that's reason enough TO call him up for today haha)
I don't know man, I'm sick of these little fellas with a scoring touch. I'd MUCH rather have a guy like Moore up because like Eco's Bones said, we could use a more well rounded player with size.

Just my useless $.02. Continue on...
I wouldn't mind if either of them got called up. Hossa on the second line is just not doing it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Dubinsky is a -7, and only has 2 more points than Dawes while having 13 more GP.

Send Dubinsky down, call Dawes up, and give this lineup a try.

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Shanahan
Prucha-Betts-Callahan
Hossa/Strudwick-Hollweg-Orr

Rozsival-Staal
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Malik (the $5.5m pair, while the top 4 = $4.6m)
Come on dude, Betts centering the third line? Forget about it...

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:58 PM
DutchShamrock

I like Dawes and didn't like his demotion but the point I'll make is this: Has Renney held everyone on the roster to the same accountability that Dawes has been held to? If Dawes is sent down, he shouldn't be the only one on the train.

I know Renney's reason is defensive play and things away from the puck and obviously the team's defensive play and stats reflect that. But maybe that mentality is also reflecting on our offense and play with the puck. Maybe Renney's sacrificing too much offense to shore up the back end? It's about balance and that word cannot be used to describe the New York Rangers this season.

Maybe Prucha's and Hossa's issues stem from Renney's insistence on playing defense first. They can't be themselves offensively or they have too much to worry about to take the risk or seize an opportunity on O. Maybe not. Maybe it's not related but it is interesting that Renney's 2 defensive projects have produced about squat since he tried to mold them into defensive forwards over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Food for thought

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Its a joke Nigel is playing in the AHL. He is averaged 2 points a game since being sent down. He does not need anymore time in the AHL. Bring him up and start benching top 9 players who are useless for 9 out of 10 games in the OFFENSIVE zone (Hossa, Prucha come to mind first). Maybe once they realize they have to actually do something to get themself on the scoresheet then they will wake up. Dawes has a few bad games, let him sit as well until someone else has a few bad games. Nobody is scared to lose a spot in the lineup so half of them are just floating around.

Put some competitiveness into the lineup, maybe then players will start playing with a little more desire.
Many guys aren't playing well at all in NY, while I would say that Cally, Prucha, Dubinsky and co haven't exactly gotten great support by the vets.

Anyway, Dawes left the ice in 12 of his 16 games in NY -- while playing on top 2 lines most of the nights -- with zero pts. On some nights, he was the by far worst player on the ice.

Many tries to twist his demotions into him not "playing defense", I don't think that was the case at all. Dawes was where he should be on the ice, I think he is very devoted and I absolutely don't see any problems in his attitude or devotions towards the defensive side of the game.

The problem was that Dawes didn't contribute much away from the puck, and that was what Renney told him to work on. Dawes did not dominate in any way offensivly, he had 5 pts in 16 games, and was scoreless in 12, and he played below avg without the puck. Wasn't able to protect it, wasn't able to move it around, he wasn't a factor on the forecheck, he wasn't a factor on the backcheck.

Prucha have had a awful season. I thought Cally looked good early, but have been so-so after his return. Hossa have sucked balls offensivly, defenitly been allot better defensivly then Dawes.

Sending Dawes to the AHL is not like sending Tyutin, Girardi or Staal to the AHL; I am pretty sure it wouldn't take much for a kid to crack our lineup right now. Dawes just didn't provide much in 16 games with top 2 line minutes in NY...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
304 S 10, 304 S 11 was my brother
Ohh thats right by my uncles season tickets. We usually sit up there for Thrasher games against any one but the Rangers. We had a seats right behind the Thrashers net in the first in the third in 110. Some freakin thrasher fans down there are brutal.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
Ohh thats right by my uncles season tickets. We usually sit up there for Thrasher games against any one but the Rangers. We had a seats right behind the Thrashers net in the first in the third in 110. Some freakin thrasher fans down there are brutal.
damn, good seats.

a few times Ive sat down in the 100's using Bellsouths club seats back when i worked there.

great seats, though when a colleague got hit in the shoulder with a puck, it was a little bit scary.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOnEs516 View Post
bad defensive play
but honestly, how bad could he have been...he was a +1 during his 10 game call up if I'm not mistaken. I guess the +/- isn't always the best evaluator...but could he have really been that bad?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
or Jason Krog..
I was reading through this thread and was thinking of him. In the 2006-2007 season Krog scored 80 point in 44 AHL games. Certainly good enough to be considered "dominating" at the AHL level. Yet I don't recall anyone arguing that his domination at the AHL level was proof he belonged in the NHL last year.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote