HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some food for thought - Dawes Dominating AHL

Old
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
but honestly, how bad could he have been...he was a +1 during his 10 game call up if I'm not mistaken. I guess the +/- isn't always the best evaluator...but could he have really been that bad?
Well, Marek Malik is a +58 through two and a third seasons as a Ranger, and yet everyone knows he sucks defensively...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I was reading through this thread and was thinking of him. In the 2006-2007 season Krog scored 80 point in 44 AHL games. Certainly good enough to be considered "dominating" at the AHL level. Yet I don't recall anyone arguing that his domination at the AHL level was proof he belonged in the NHL last year.
We're really not comparing a 32 year old career AHLer to Dawes a 22 year old with lots of room to continue to grow and develop as a player are we?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
We're really not comparing a 32 year old career AHLer to Dawes a 22 year old with lots of room to continue to grow and develop as a player are we?
Nope, simply pointing out that domination at the AHL level doesn't always guarantee NHL productivity.

Old
12-10-2007, 02:55 AM
StartLundqvist

Dawes should be on this team. He's better than Hossa and he's better than Prucha. We need scoring and he would help us out there big time.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:27 AM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Nope, simply pointing out that domination at the AHL level doesn't always guarantee NHL productivity.
Niether do mediocre AHL stats connote that one will be an NHL debacle.There have been myriad forwards who've graduated to the NHL and put up similar/better numbers than they put up in the AHL. Your assertions are null.

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Dawes' return imminent?

Despite the Rangers' scoring woes, Nigel Dawes, who had three goals against the Devils earlier this season and has been prolific in Hartford, was not recalled for the game. But he might be summoned at some point
http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,6869562.story

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:15 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
Niether do mediocre AHL stats connote that one will be an NHL debacle.There have been myriad forwards who've graduated to the NHL and put up similar/better numbers than they put up in the AHL. Your assertions are null.
LOL. How do you figure my "assertions are null"? The premise put forth by a number of people in this thread is that Dawes deserves a spot in the NHL because he has dominated offensively in the AHL. My assertion is that domination in the AHL doesn't assure success in the NHL and is therefore very much on point. On the other hand, your (correct) premise that mediocre AHL stats doesn't preclude success at the NHL level has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand, i.e. Nigel Dawes, who has had in no way a mediocre AHL career..

Old
12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartLundqvist View Post
Dawes should be on this team. He's better than Hossa and he's better than Prucha. We need scoring and he would help us out there big time.
Not sure about Prucha, but he could probably offer more than Hossa.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
Not sure about Prucha, but he could probably offer more than Hossa.
He is about the same as Prucha. I think that their scoring ability is about the same. Prucha is a little better defensively (still not good though), but Dawes is better on his skates and harder to knock down.

As for Hossa they are also about equal. Dawes should score more than Hossa, but Hossa's defensive and pking abilities are far superior.

That being said Hossa still shouldn't be on the 2nd line (dawes should until Avery's return) then Dawes should be on thrild line instead of Prucha. And prucha and Malik should be involved in a trade (hopefully for a PF). Prucha's cap hit is much higher than Dawes therefore he should be the one to get traded plus he probably has a higher trade value. Ideally we could send them both off for a good PF, but no team would take both of them in one trade.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Levitate

One reason I'd be hesitant about replacing Prucha with Dawes is that Dawes doesn't create the turnovers that Prucha does. He's not as tenacious and not as good at recovering the puck.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Put some competitiveness into the lineup, maybe then players will start playing with a little more desire.
Q F E.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Tell you the truth I'm not to suprised. Scoring while on the 1st line and 1st PP unit hasn't been much of a problem for him. If he can produce at a point per game pace on the 2nd or 3rd line in Hartford with limited PP time(which is the amount of time he will get on the Rangers this year) by all means call him up. Does anybody know has he been playing PK or good defensivly since his defensive play was one of the reasons he was sent down?

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
squishy

The American Hockey League today named Hartford Wolf Pack left-wing Nigel Dawes the Rbk AHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 9th. Dawes totaled three goals and five assists for eight points in the Wolf Pack's three games on the week, as the Pack ran their streak of games with at least a standings point to eight straight (7-0-0-1).

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/press_20071210.php

Old
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Do we know if he's actually working on his defensive game? I'm sure that is why Renney sent him down. He needed some defensive accountability on the LW on his lines and in that respect, he's gonna take Hollweg and Hossa over Dawes. I think he's showing a clear consistent offensive effort down there.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Do we know if he's actually working on his defensive game? I'm sure that is why Renney sent him down. He needed some defensive accountability on the LW on his lines and in that respect, he's gonna take Hollweg and Hossa over Dawes. I think he's showing a clear consistent offensive effort down there.
its not just his defensive play that bugged me about him, its him being totally unnoticed out there for periods at a time. thats not a good thing. you need to make something happen, be it forcing a turnover, or getting a quality shot on goal, or dumping in a puck and retrieving it yourself...whatever it is, you need to make yourself known on the ice. if youre invisible, youre useless.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
its not just his defensive play that bugged me about him, its him being totally unnoticed out there for periods at a time. thats not a good thing. you need to make something happen, be it forcing a turnover, or getting a quality shot on goal, or dumping in a puck and retrieving it yourself...whatever it is, you need to make yourself known on the ice. if youre invisible, youre useless.
Wait, are you talking about Dawes or Jagr?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Levitate

Quote:
And this is exactly why I'm hesitant to dump Prucha in exchange for Dawes. Prucha does all of those things and at least puts pressure on the other team.

Old
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Fletch

Defensive awareness is great...

but of course if you're scoring more goals than the opposition is scoring against you, then you're still doing pretty well. I don't recall the Rangers really getting hurt a lot while Dawes was out there. I'm not against sending a guy down to hone a certain aspect of his game, but at the same time, I don't think that was entirely the case. At this stage, the organization needs to decide on Dawes, otherwise they will have a depreciating asset. It's fine to keep him around now in case of injury. But, he's shown that he doesn't belong in the AHL and it's a matter of time before he starts playing down the the opponents' level as it is difficult to keep your focus. He's also shown he can play at the NHL level. The time may not be now, but the time is coming to make a decision.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Levitate

I don't think it's just defense though, Fletch. He needs to be visible doing the other things out there instead of just popping in a few goals now and then and being unnoticeable otherwise.

he needs to develop the consistency, though I certainly wouldn't mind him getting a call back up soon

Old
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think it's just defense though, Fletch. He needs to be visible doing the other things out there instead of just popping in a few goals now and then and being unnoticeable otherwise.

he needs to develop the consistency, though I certainly wouldn't mind him getting a call back up soon
Sounds like your talking about Jagr instead of Dawes.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Levitate

Hahaha, oh man, no one's made that joke yet!

Old
12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Now, im not the biggest Nigel Dawes fan, nor am I a big detractor of his game. he is what he is.

but heres something that is really really sad. So far (through 2 and a half periods) Dawes has 6 points in tonights game against the Worcester Sharks.. (Dawes hasnt yet been credited with the 6th point, but the announcers say its a mistake and Dawes should pick up a point).

So Dawes has 6 points through 50 minutes in this game....so far this year the following players have 6 points or fewer for the ENTIRE SEASON:
Straka
Hossa
Mara
Staal
Malk
Betts
Strudwick
Callahan
Orr
Hollweg

and Dawes, who has 5 points in the NHL this year so far....

Im not trying to pump up Dawes here, just sort of shocked at how poor the numbers are for the Rangers...
It makes me so mad that he is in Hartford. The team can't score, and is laden with worthless A-holes like Prucha and Hossa, yet they have a stud like this in Hartford. I don't give a crap about cap space, or any of that crap...make it freakin' happen...get this guy in here, eat what you have to eat, trade you you have to trade, waive who you have to waive. Make the team better and get Dawes back up here.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 10:24 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
It makes me so mad that he is in Hartford. The team can't score, and is laden with worthless A-holes like Prucha and Hossa, yet they have a stud like this in Hartford. I don't give a crap about cap space, or any of that crap...make it freakin' happen...get this guy in here, eat what you have to eat, trade you you have to trade, waive who you have to waive. Make the team better and get Dawes back up here.
? I'm not cap expert, and from what I've read Dawes' salary is minimal so probably wouldn't effect it too much. But if this transaction was going to, that is ABSOLUTELY something you should give a crap about. Screwing our salary cap for a Nigel Dawes is not worth it. Heck, screwing the cap for just about anybody is not worth it. You've got to leave yourself room.

Last edited by ruckus*: 12-11-2007 at 11:18 AM.
ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Leave him down there...doesn't he have 2 or 3 goals on Brodeur already this season.
i think he even has 2 GWG on Brodeur. he certainly has atleast 1 GWG...

Its 2 days after the 1-0 win and he still isnt called up. I have said it all year, Hossa should be nowhere near this team. Dawes deserves a place.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

I think Dawes will be a New York Ranger again this season.

I would love to see a line of Dawes-Dubinsky-Callahan that was Hartford's top line last year in the AHL. Those guys have a lot of chemistry.

My request of Renney once everyone is back and healthy would be:

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Avery-Gomez-Shanny
Dawes-Dubinsky-Callahan
Hollweg/Hossa-Betts-Orr/Prucha

I think the Rangers could play Hossa and Prucha against finesse teams and dress Hollweg and Orr when toughness is important.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote