HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to fire Carbonneau?

View Poll Results: Is it time to fire Carbonneau?
Yes 178 46.35%
No 206 53.65%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Stephen Locke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
I'm gonna say fire Carbo and trade Koivu......................end of storie
What a terrible,ignorant reply.

Old
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
All-Star

The fact that some people in this thread still want him gone blows me completely away.

Old
03-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Blades 0f Steel

I say it's the perfect time to fire him. Catch the bugger by surprise!

Old
03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Stan

People really aren't getting it. Wow. This is worse than all the trade threads

Old
03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
dutchy29

No then and No now, Hes Gainey's right hand man, and Gainey's a genius IMO.
To get a bunch of young guys producing and to have kept Kovalev on track even thru all the media bull crap is a miracle. Lets keep it rolling.

168 Yes votes.

Old
03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Munchinator

Damnit! I was all confused for a second. No then and no now. I like him, people will find something to whine about anything regardless of how well we're playing (or not for that matter).

Old
03-08-2008, 10:55 AM
mabus

I was as shrill as anyone last season .. and at the start of this season .. that Carbonneau was a disaster ..... and he WAS.

Since then though, he's actually improved a significant amount, and i'm quite happy with him. I like how he's playing the youngsters, including Price and the Plekanec line is undeniably our best. I'd still like to see Kovalev with Koivu .. but there's no denying that Kovalev is one of the top 15-20 goal scorers in the league right now on that line, and that Plekanec is not far behind, so you'd have to be an idiot to break that line up now.

We're battling for 1st overall in the East, almost all our players are doing much better than expected, a few are having carrear seasons. Our power play is #1 in the league, and we're just >2< goals away from having the #1 most goals scored in the whole league, with one game in hand over the #1 team {Ottawa}. You can't argue with success.

Not only has Carbonneau corrected most of his mistakes, but the whole team is absolutely flying right now. You'd have to be >CRAZY< to fire a coach just before the playoffs while your team is doing so well.

Old
03-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
No then, no now, no tommorow.

Old
03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Slowly but surely, Carbo gets better and better at his job. Surprisingly, he acknowledged some of its fault and tried some slightly innovative stuff to try and make the team successful. If there was a "most improved coach" award, he'd win it for sure.

He's not the best, but he sure isn't the worse anymore. Since he's shown his willingness to make compromises and learn, I think he might become a good coach eventually (looking at the team's record, perhaps he's already one)

If only he stopped using Smolinski

Old
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
I was as shrill as anyone last season .. and at the start of this season .. that Carbonneau was a disaster ..... and he WAS.

Since then though, he's actually improved a significant amount, and i'm quite happy with him. I like how he's playing the youngsters, including Price and the Plekanec line is undeniably our best. I'd still like to see Kovalev with Koivu .. but there's no denying that Kovalev is one of the top 15-20 goal scorers in the league right now on that line, and that Plekanec is not far behind, so you'd have to be an idiot to break that line up now.

We're battling for 1st overall in the East, almost all our players are doing much better than expected, a few are having carrear seasons. Our power play is #1 in the league, and we're just >2< goals away from having the #1 most goals scored in the whole league, with one game in hand over the #1 team {Ottawa}. You can't argue with success.

Not only has Carbonneau corrected most of his mistakes, but the whole team is absolutely flying right now. You'd have to be >CRAZY< to fire a coach just before the playoffs while your team is doing so well.

Don't throw everyone in the same basket as you. Some of us realized full well that he was only a rookie coach and that he had much potential and promise of a better future. Only self-righteous armchair GMs proclaimed him as incompetent and didn't have the necessary patience to just wait and see. I dare say that without Gainey's absence in late December and January, and without the gastric flu that hit this young team, the Habs would've ended last season well over expectations, and none would've had any arguments whatsoever to cry out against his coaching. He did pretty well for a rookie coach, and he has shown, in only the span of his softmore year, that those of us who did see the potential in him, were right.

This is the same attitude that prevails towards our youngsters throughout the last 2-3 seasons. Blinded by their own beliefs that they know the game better than seasoned professionals, they can't see the potential and always right-out proclaim that either the coach will never be good, nor the players ever better than a 3rd liner... It is quite pathetic.

Old
03-08-2008, 02:01 PM
#eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
he just needs to learn to;

1) Not to switch the line-up so much. If it's working, keep it.
2) Call time-outs if your team is struggling.. it's what needs to happen.
3) Stop laughing stupidly to himself after a bad call.

There are probably a few other things I'm forgetting, but I'm not sure right now.
Huge +1. #3 annoys me alot, too.

I just CAN'T understand somebody who would want to fire him NOW! I mean come on, battling for 1st in the East, what more do you want?? Yes, he has some flaws, but like many young players in our team, he's still improving. Hope so, at least. Especially #1 - the line change thing - boggles my mind. Why change lineup/lines that work(s) great?

A bit stupid to bump this thread imo. When I saw the title I was like WHAAAAAT?!

Old
03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I say we fire him, then rehire him right away

Old
03-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Puckhead58*

I guess getting the team to first place in the division isn't enough! Carbo is doing a good job considering we have a grand total of about 2 superstars on our team.

The only idiot that would fire Carbo at this point would be Lou Lamarillo and look how well that move paid off for him last year when he fired Julien. Bob Gainey is a lot smarter than that!

Carbo needs a couple of better players on his roster. He can't be expected to win everygame when he has guys like Dandenault, Smolinski, Begin and Kostopoulos in the lineup. None of them can score goals so just amagine how good we'd be doing if we had a couple of better players playing instead of these 4 guys!

Old
03-08-2008, 05:21 PM
CanadienErrant*

What a thread !

Old
03-08-2008, 07:03 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Carbo needs a couple of better players on his roster. He can't be expected to win every game when he has guys like Dandenault, Smolinski, Begin and Kostopoulos in the lineup. None of them can score goals so just amagine how good we'd be doing if we had a couple of better players playing instead of these 4 guys!
Are you serious????

Do you realize that the 1970s Habs had 9 Hall of Famers in Dryden, Robinson, Savard, Lapointe. Lafleur, Lemaire, Shutt, Cournoyer and Gainey, and even THEY could not win every game!!!

Bowman

Old
03-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

RE-RE-bump.

Old
03-10-2009, 03:08 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 351