HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green

Old
12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who exactly doubted it?
I sure did. I complained about Green consistently last year because he was terrible. His maturation has been remarkable.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
What impresses me the most about green is just how fast he is developing..its really quite remarkable considering the length of time it takes for a young dman to hit his stride.

12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
What impresses me the most about green is just how fast he is developing..its really quite remarkable considering the length of time it takes for a young dman to hit his stride.
totally agree with this... I wasn't expecting him to be this good this year but it seems his off-season work ethic have helped put him in a win-win situation...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
scary that McPhee drafted Schultz before Green though

My understanding was that with only Dallas between the two Caps picks that he knew that Dallas wanted a big defenseman. Mark Fistric or Fistric or Schultz. Either way they were not looking for Green.

Makes sense. Had he taken Green its possible that Dallas would have taken McPhee's choice of Schultz. Fistric hasn't played in the NHL yet, has he?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
txpd

Green is probably the most crucial developement of the Caps d prospects. He is a playmaker and a game breaker. Those are really hard to find particularly on defense.

If Jurcina doesn't workout, they can look to Pokoluk and then to Alzner and Finley and they still have Morrisonn. Green is now at a point where he now has to be game planned and when you have Semin, Ovechkin and Green on one PP unit opposing coaches have to start making choices as you can't cover them all at the same time.

With OV and Semin, Green is going to get the chance to score a lot of goals.

Old
12-10-2007, 11:40 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Fistric is in the AHL: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00062620

Green has roughly 121 games and Schultz with 60 so thats is not to bad. However with a rebuild going these numbers are not that big of a deal.

Looking at that draft I remember at the time I was hoping that Meszaros would fall to the caps.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Fistric is in the AHL: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00062620

Green has roughly 121 games and Schultz with 60 so thats is not to bad. However with a rebuild going these numbers are not that big of a deal.

Looking at that draft I remember at the time I was hoping that Meszaros would fall to the caps.
I remember watching the draft and thinking the same thing about Meszaros... and Schremp too...

Old
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Foy

Meanwhile on the OBs, people are throwing hissy fits because Lang is playing well, and that was the dumbest trade ever.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Meanwhile on the OBs, people are throwing hissy fits because Lang is playing well, and that was the dumbest trade ever.
Just another reason I very rarely post there.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I can't stand the hockey side over there. Those guys don't remember a damn thing about Lang. They're saying he'd look good on a line with Ovechkin. Ovechkin could circle the rink twice by the time he goes blueline to blueline.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:12 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I never wanted to trade Lang...thought he would have been fine to have after the lockout.

Hell...I wanted to sign him this offseason compared to Nylander.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Roccoman

RE: Green

as a young & talented offensive defenseman, he is going to go through peaks & valleys... right now he is riding a crest of success, but i fully expect some steps backwards, as you would expect for any young NHL player.

still, it is great to see how much of a difference maker he can be already; playing with alot of confidence and knowing he is not going to get benched for one error really seems to have allowed him to play "his" game.

RE: Lang

i've seen him play this year, he is much the same player as before, only slower. the OBs hockey side is pretty useless; its a freakout-fest for the most part.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I never wanted to trade Lang...thought he would have been fine to have after the lockout.

Hell...I wanted to sign him this offseason compared to Nylander.
It depends on how his groin held up. He got injured immediately after leaving, and it more or less cost him the rest of that season, and he was never up to speed since.

He didn't have that great a year last year, mostly playing on Detroit's 3rd line. He's a solid but aging player. I kind of doubt he'd want to come back here though.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I think i lobbied for Green to be in Hershey last year, but Green to be here this year based on his finish last year in the chocolate sauce. He bulked up too, which takes a lot of work in this steroid free era, and that said a lot to me so I wanted him here. I am so glad that someone coaching this team was smart enough to get Green more PP time. I would like to see a set play where he lugs the puck up ice even strength and we keep a Backstrom type back. He just has too much talent to not let this kid try and do more at even strength. Or we can try that storming down the wing one timer he crushed last game more often. His stick handling is awesome for a dman and his shot is accurate.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

The thing that has struck me about Green have been the few times he's made end to end rushes, and stickhandled his way past all five skaters on the other team. There are only about a hand full of forwards with that kind of talent, let alone defensemen.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The thing that has struck me about Green have been the few times he's made end to end rushes, and stickhandled his way past all five skaters on the other team. There are only about a hand full of forwards with that kind of talent, let alone defensemen.
So true... and didn't he do that last year in Colorado when he scored that oh so sweet goal? The agility and change of direction on that play made me play it over and over and...

Old
12-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I know i was one of the people who wanted Green and Shultz in Hershey this year, but with the year Green is having, i'm glad i was wrong.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM
txpd

Since Eminger was not traded, I imagine that the plan was for Green to start in Hershey and for Eminger to get some time to sell himself one way or the other. Eminger's early camp injury and Green leading the team in preseason scoring made it impossible to do that.

Green ebbed a good bit when the team was in its death spin, but he has no questions about what Boudreau has wanted from him and is probably the one that benefits the most from the coaching change.

He was a dominating force for Bruce in Hershey and you can see that he is providing the same now. Here's to 2 more goals tonight.

Old
12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I actually don't think Green's shot is that accurate. Among the few things he really needs to work on is keeping his shot low. He tends to pull his shots, making them go wildly high. If he can learn to shoot like Gonchar, he will be an absolute animal.

I have no reason to believe he won't be a well rounded two-way no. 1 stud defenseman within 3 or 4 seasons. He is already at worst a no. 4. With the way he's playing currently, he'd be a top 4 on most NHL teams.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I actually don't think Green's shot is that accurate. Among the few things he really needs to work on is keeping his shot low. He tends to pull his shots, making them go wildly high. If he can learn to shoot like Gonchar, he will be an absolute animal.

I have no reason to believe he won't be a well rounded two-way no. 1 stud defenseman within 3 or 4 seasons. He is already at worst a no. 4. With the way he's playing currently, he'd be a top 4 on most NHL teams.
I'll watch his shots more after what you said. IMO he is one of the few players and only Dman that we have that seems to be able to put one timers on goal from on and off wing sides.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
You're right. His shot is wild, but it's miles better than last season. There was an offseason feature on Green by either Corey or Tarik and it talked about how he spent almost his entire offseason working on his shot. It's better but it's not great.

Case in point, Green missed a wide open one timer off a beautiful feed by Semin on the Caps PP where Backstrom scored a little later.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Green is still taking his share of bad penalties as well...but I guess that should be expected still.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:01 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Greenie is as close to a young version of this guy: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3965 as there is in the NHL.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Greenie is as close to a young version of this guy: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3965 as there is in the NHL.
I wouldn't go that far.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 07:00 AM
dbui72

Remember the year when we had three defensemen score more than 20? Or was that 30? Forgot.

Name those players, take a chance.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote