HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Petition Has Been Create To Remove Mr. Bettman

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 06:17 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Official Petition Has Been Create To Remove Mr. Bettman

<HR SIZE=1><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->************************/Re...ition.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

This has been created to remove Mr. Bettman as the NHL Commisioner, please click on the link, sign it and we will try to remove Mr. Bettman as the commissioner of the NHL. After you have signed this petition, please send it to you friends and family so we can get as many signatures as possible.

Thank You....

don't be shy to sign it !

Old
01-18-2004, 06:39 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
<hr size="1"><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->************************/Re...ition.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

This has been created to remove Mr. Bettman as the NHL Commisioner, please click on the link, sign it and we will try to remove Mr. Bettman as the commissioner of the NHL. After you have signed this petition, please send it to you friends and family so we can get as many signatures as possible.

Thank You....

What's wrong with Bettman? I fail to see the link between bad refereeing and the commissioner. I think Bettman's done a good job and it sounds like to me that this petition was started by a Flyers fan because of Roenick.

Speaking of Roenick, there's a petition I would sign, the rmove JR petition. He's a whiny little hypocritical titt. I heard on the NHL channel that he's made over $50 mil US in salary from the NHL in his career. And now he's sad he got a stick or two in the face, awwww, poor guy, I really feel for him.

Roenick is one of the biggest cheapshot artists in the league and has done much worse many time without getting caught. Sad to see people care what he has to say and let him influence them.

Last edited by Habber: 01-18-2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old
01-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
What's wrong with Bettman? I fail to see the link between bad refereeing and the commissioner. I think Bettman's done a good job and it sounds like to me that this petition was started by a Flyers fan because of Roenick.

Speaking of Roenick, there's a petition I would sign, the rmove JR petition. He's a whiny little hypocritical titt. I heard on the NHL channel that he's made over $50 mil US in salary from the NHL in his career. And now he's sad he got a stick or two in the face, awwww, poor guy, I really feel for him.

Roenick is one of the biggest cheapshot artists in the league and has done much worse many time without getting caught. Sad to see people care what he has to say and let him influence them.
Nice sarcasm...

Old
01-18-2004, 07:11 AM
RE-HABS

Bettman isn't what is wrong with the NHL today, he is way better than Ziegler and Stein. Owners and players have created the problem with the salaries, Bettman is trying to correct it. With a better game and a salary cap a team would be wiser with their funds and sign the best players available, no more Domi's and Worrell's but creative and skilled players no matter the size. That would make a much more excititng game and would maybe eventually give us a major TV deal in the states which the league sorrily needs for league revenues, if that happened both owners and players would be happy because the salary caps would be raised and players along with ownership could make some money, along with the fans seeing a faster and better game on the ice.

Bettman is not the problem, it's the players and owners.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Bettman isn't what is wrong with the NHL today, he is way better than Ziegler and Stein. Owners and players have created the problem with the salaries, Bettman is trying to correct it. With a better game and a salary cap a team would be wiser with their funds and sign the best players available, no more Domi's and Worrell's but creative and skilled players no matter the size. That would make a much more excititng game and would maybe eventually give us a major TV deal in the states which the league sorrily needs for league revenues, if that happened both owners and players would be happy because the salary caps would be raised and players along with ownership could make some money, along with the fans seeing a faster and better game on the ice.

Bettman is not the problem, it's the players and owners.
I agree, Bettman is doing a great job and is by far the best commisioner that this league has seen in a long time. The combination of irresponsible owners and the rise to power by player agents has left the NHL in a terrible mess and there is no other past commisioner of the NHL that I would rather see at the helm in this situation than Gary Bettman. Bettman is a man of integrity and conviction and that is precisely what is needed to transform the NHL into a more level playing field for markets of vastly different sizes.

As for this Roenick issue, I can't beleive anyone would take Roenick's side on this debate. Just like his boss (Bob Clarke), Roenick appears to have more balls than brains and simply doesn't have the mechanism in his brain that prevents every little revelation that is created there from spilling out of his mouth. Personally, I'd like to see Roenick's face all smashed in every time he spouts off like this.

A little off topic but is it just me or does Roenick not seem like he should be playing for the Leafs where he could center the "Whiner" line between Domi and Tucker.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:33 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
<HR SIZE=1><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START-->************************/Re...ition.html<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->

Thank You....

Um, the NHL is not a public body. It is a corporation. I seriously doubt that fans have control over his fate with this petition, unless of course you have the signatures of several GMs...
It's true that fans are allowed to 'vote' for silly things like the All-Star game. But if this were true for the governance of the NHL, then Modano would likely be the Commissioner

Old
01-18-2004, 09:43 AM
goalchenyuk

if you don't see how the hockey is boring since Betteman is there , how the NHL is a diluted product because there is to much teams , and how those Florida-carolina and other new south areateams are big jokes, and how all the teams are playing anti-hockey because of the lack of talent and because all the gfood players are not able to play their game because of the checking and the sticking ...

the only thing that Betteman has done that was good , is the $$$ contract he signed with the TV ;but because of the poor play of his product , it seems that those tv contracts are not going to be resign at the same price as before....
so , where is the good job done by Betteman ? please i would be curious to know that ...

Old
01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
if you don't see how the hockey is boring since Betteman is there , how the NHL is a diluted product because there is to much teams , and how those Florida-carolina and other new south areateams are big jokes, and how all the teams are playing anti-hockey because of the lack of talent and because all the gfood players are not able to play their game because of the checking and the sticking ...

the only thing that Betteman has done that was good , is the $$$ contract he signed with the TV ;but because of the poor play of his product , it seems that those tv contracts are not going to be resign at the same price as before....
so , where is the good job done by Betteman ? please i would be curious to know that ...
With or without Bettman expansion would have happened, the NHL NEEDED that 50 million expansion fee badly and they went all out to get it. Did they expand into the right areas...probably not, but they were the only areas offering to pay the money and wanting franchises.

EDIT. In regards to the high sticking and such if the players stood beside each other as much as they do for $$$'s then the respect factor would be better on the ice, Bettman isn't hitting the players in the face with the stick or checking them from behind it is the players themselves. They totally contradict themselves with the NHLPA unity and then you see them gouging each other out there day in and day out.

I don't think the talent pool has depleted at all, in the 80's and late 70's when we had only 21 teams the talent levelwas better because goal scoring was higher and players got 100 points and 50 goals easier? I don't think so, if anything there is a bigger talent pool in the NHL because the Russians, Czechs and Slovakian players are able to come an play as easily as it is was for the Swedes and Finns to come over. Before the fall of communism there were no players like Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Hasek, Fedorov, Bure and so on in the league. There were more Semenko's, Marsh's and Snepts in the league.

With a cap the league will be better and more even, look at the NFL any team can win and it doesn't take long to build a contender if you utilize your cap right. With a more exciting game the revenues will flow at the gate, from TV/Radio and from advertising endorsements.

Bettman is the man to do it, he is not backing down and giving into the NHLPA.

Last edited by RE-HABS: 01-18-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old
01-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Uber Coca

Whatever.

Old
01-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Speaking of Roenick, there's a petition I would sign, the rmove JR petition. He's a whiny little hypocritical titt. I heard on the NHL channel that he's made over $50 mil US in salary from the NHL in his career. And now he's sad he got a stick or two in the face, awwww, poor guy, I really feel for him. .
Where do I sign????

That or a permenantly stich JR's mouth shut petition.

Old
01-19-2004, 03:07 PM
HCH

Bettman needs to be there to protect the owners from themselves and to help the players realize it is not in their best interest to kill the goose (geese) that laid the golden egg.

The owners are beginning to realize that they need to operate this league like a busniness that must be viable on an ongoing basis. And when you really think about it, a player who signs a multi-year contract for $2 million a year rather than $4 million per year isn't going to have to work very hard when his playing days are over.

A lot of these guys are under 25 years old and have no idea about the value of money. Talk to any 25 year old (or 20 year old) for that matter and you will understand what I mean. And just because some of these guys make a lot, doesn't make them any more informed.

But their agents are another story and I believe it is the player agents who are really worried about the new CBA. It would cut significantly into their take-home pay and they will fight this tooth and nail without regard to the reprecussions from a player, owner or league point of view.

Although Bettman isn't my favourite guy in the hockey world, it is either him or someone else that has to get this league back on course. I vote to keep him.

Old
01-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Mike8

I like Roenick. I'd like to see him get more air time. Sure, he moans sometimes, but more often than not he's a colourful guy that can interest new fans in the US. Good for the sport. Same goes for Brett Hull.

Regarding Bettman: he takes a lot of blame for things that aren't his fault. It's amazing to me how virtually everything in hockey is blamed on him, from teams playing the trap, to referees missing calls.

He has done a better job than previous commissioners.

But I don't see him as a man of integrity, nor do I see him as particularly right for the job. That doesn't mean he's wrong, and it doesn't mean I have a better suggestion for who's right. But I see the game moving in wrong directions on many fronts.

-There are increasing rates of concussions, career-ending/hindering injuries, and players getting hurt where they shouldn't be.

-Players are bigger, faster, stronger, and no changes have been made to accomodate that.

-Players aren't held accountable for their actions.

-Stickwork is increasing as fighting decreases, and goons are eradicated from the league.

-Schedule. Teams are tired and it leads to a terrible on-ice product. Cut the number of games down.

-Obstruction. There's too much of it, and the NHL referees are too inconsistent in enforcing their rules.

-Fighting - I don't understand why it's been pushed out of the game to begin with. I can understand wanting to get rid of two goons going at it for no particular reason but, if a big hit or cheapshot happens, a player should be allowed to seek revenge. As it stands, seeking revenge or protecting a teammate earns your team some time on the penalty kill, thus teams don't do it. Result? Less passion in the game, more cheapshots, less team unity.

As I recall, the reasoning to decrease the amount of fighting had to do with marketing and expanding the game to the US. According to Bettman, Americans thought hockey was 'boxing on skates', more or less. I've lived in the States and most every American I've spoken to about hockey either says they believe it's 'boxing on skates', or that they've watched a game recently and saw no aggression, passion, or all that much flow to the game, and came away disappointed and disinterested.

The most popular movies, sports, gossip, and music in the US is riddled with violence, so why would eliminating violence from hockey be a smart way to market the sport to Americans? I know there are many people working on marketing the game that have a better understanding of the job than I do, but this doesn't add up. I've long felt NHL marketing was terrible, and it's sad to see it has an effect on the rules and tradition of the game.

Eradicating fighting is essentially awarding cheap shot artists. A perfect example of this was Petrovicky brushing by Theodore after having agitated and cheapshotted most Canadien players for three games against the team within the last month. Theodore responded with a weak punch to the back of Petrovicky's head. A retaliatory penalty. Result? Petrovicky is awarded for his cheapshotting methods, and receives more ice time. Meanwhile more skilled and legitimately tougher players are reprimanded.

Wrong direction for the game, and bad precedent to set.

Not all of this is Bettman's fault. In fact, most of it isn't. Much of it is the NHLPA's fault too in failing to protect their players. But I believe if the NHL had stronger leadership, the CBA wouldn't be so god awful, and teams wouldn't be struggling with schedules, injuries, etcetera.

Old
01-19-2004, 04:37 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
But I don't see [Bettman] as a man of integrity, nor do I see him as particularly right for the job. That doesn't mean he's wrong, and it doesn't mean I have a better suggestion for who's right.
I do: Ken Dryden.

Old
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
I do: Ken Dryden.
Well, it's tough to say who's the right man for the job from our computer desks without having met these people or discussed the important issues with them.

That said, if I'm thinking of NHL executives that have commented on some of the issues that need to be addressed, and who I believe might do a good job, Lou Lamouriello would top the list. He has experience in this area and is a bright individual from all indications. Bob Gainey and Brian Burke are two other names I'd be a bit more confident with. I'd have to know Gainey's stance on fighting in hockey though, as I've heard some comments against fighting from him in the past... :p

Old
01-20-2004, 12:24 AM
goalchenyuk

Serge Savard ?

Closed Thread