HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Future Resignings?

Old
12-08-2007, 10:15 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
What about Future Resignings?

Poile reveals that all four RFA's......Erat, Suter, Weber, and Tootoo will be resigned and are part of the "core" which meanings multiyear deals....so the hyenas can quit circling and move on. He expects the signings to be in the offseason.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712080370/1028

Conspicuously absent from the story is UFA...JP Dumont......does that mean they intended to let him walk at the end of the season, or Poile is just holding his cards close to his vest?

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Dumont is a guy that you want in the playoffs. He is a guy hard to get a feel for. He is one of the most creative players this team has ever had, but it is a unique, almost selfish type of creativity. When he really seems to be scoring, his moves are working, but he is also getting the goals in the slot off of rebounds (something he just hasn't seem to connect with lately). I really like having him on this team, but I do not think we can afford to give him 3.5 million or more until Zidlicky and Sullivan are dealt with (trade for Zids and either a healthy or retired Sullivan).

Erat - I suspect something like 3.5 over 4-5 years.
Weber - 6/24 (3.5, 3.75, 4.0, 4.0, 4.25, 4.5)
Suter - 4/10 (a backloaded deal, something like 1.75, 2.25, 2.75, 3.25)
Tootoo - 3/2.5 (750k, 850k, 900k)

I will readily admit my numbers are a bit high for Suter and Tootoo, but I think they are dead on for Weber. I'm undecided on Erat....he may cash in more than anyone.

12-08-2007, 01:31 PM
predhead1

Gotta love this quote:

"As soon as the deal closes," Freeman said, "the chains are off."

Sounds like more deals might be on the horizon.

predhead1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 01:50 PM
fogducker

Dumont?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have to bring in a winger. We need to move Zids to free up our payroll a bit to focus more on needs. Marek is a good offensive defenseman, but this is all we have in the system. Move him now while he still has value around the league!!

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:28 AM
handtrick

Gotta love this quote:

Predators General Manager David Poile said Friday the team would sign its four key restricted free agents defensemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, as well as forwards Martin Erat and Tootoo before other teams could make them offers during the summer.

"I think it' s good news for us,'' Weber said. "We love it here the city, the fans and the organization. It would be nice to get something done.''

Though some players prefer to renegotiate contracts only during the offseason, Weber said he wouldn't mind trying to work out a new deal while the season was still under way.

"I think anytime they want to talk to you, that usually means you've been doing something right,'' Weber said. "So it really doesn't matter to me.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....712090431/1028

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 12:55 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I suspect he left dumont out because he cant say for sure that he will be able to re-sign him, whereas with the RFA's he knows he can re-sign them, even if it means matching an offer sheet or accepting an arbitration award.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
FanGirl10

I'm still not completely sure about arbitration.

Is that when the player says, I really really don't want to play for you (as an RFA) let me go, and lets see what kind of deal I can get? Or I'm not happy with these offers, I'm going to force you to give me more?

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:27 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanGirl10 View Post
I'm still not completely sure about arbitration.

Is that when the player says, I really really don't want to play for you (as an RFA) let me go, and lets see what kind of deal I can get? Or I'm not happy with these offers, I'm going to force you to give me more?
A player has to have arbitration rights to go, not all RFA's have them. I don't remember what the qualifications are now though. But new in the CBA is that both the team and player can elect to take the other to arbitration, it used to be only one could.

A qualifying offer must be made to the RFA by a certain date. But if a team elects not to make a qualifying offer to a player that would make him a FA.

But basically:
Team: Here's our qualifying offer, $$ (usually for RFA's I think it's strictly just a 10% raise, it used to be anyway)
Player: Does not sign qualifying offer because I want $$$$ or more years.

Player or team elects to go to arbitration. NHL sets dates for all league hearings (usually later in the summer, like 2 weeks in August).

The 2 sides can still work on a deal before the date. Just because he doesn't sign the QO or elects to go doesn't mean they are definitely going to arbitration, just that they want to work on a new contract. They can work on a deal up until the start of their individual hearing to get the deal done.

If they can't come to an agreement before the hearing they go before the arbitrator and make their case.
Team: Player isn't worth $$$$ for following reasons (sometimes can get nasty).
Player: I'm worth $$$$ because of following reasons.

Arbitrator: My ruling is player is worth $$$ much, and usually are ruled for 1-2 years.

Team can accept ruling and pay the player. Or refuse to pay and let the player become a FA. (this is how we got Dumont last season from Buffalo, they declined the arbitrators ruling and we picked him up.)

Once a player is FA though, any team can sign the player to any contract they want, the arbitrators ruling has no effect once a player is FA.

But remember, David Poile really really really does not like going to arbitration so if he can he avoids it and generally gets deals done before the scheduled date.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
FanGirl10

Thank you, that's the best explanation I've ever had. I'll actually remember the details this time.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me.

FanGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I thought the 10% raise had been done away with.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:23 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I thought the 10% raise had been done away with.
That's why I said it used to be that way, I didn't know if they still had that or not.

Old
12-12-2007, 01:36 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

And I just assumed that Dumont wasn't listed because he's going to be a UFA and the whole point of the article was about signing our RFA's.

It just said that if we can get these guys signed to multi-year deals then we have 4 to add to the already multi-year signed players to make a strong core to build around.

I also think it's possible to over analyze and read too much into things.