HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aftonbladet: "Lundqvist to negotiate for new ≈$6.7M/year deal"

Old
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1970 View Post
It is supposed to show that I am not the only objective point of view regarding the play of Labarbara - Sam Rosen is the ultimate Ranger fan and said that he was the outstanding player. What don't you understand?
So Sam said that Labarbera played well. He did. Want ask him if he'd trade Lundqvist for Labarbera? And Sam did not say he was an outstanding player. He played outstanding that game.

jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But he had an international career and a career in the SEL unlike any Valiquette has had at any level.
Why was he a 7th round draft choice? Why did it take him so long to get to the NHL? Maybe what they noticed is his streaky play and poor glove - poor stickhandling...is it possible that they saw what we are seeing now? Maybe what Vally needed was a great coach like allair to take him to the next level.

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I don't see how you could possibly want Labarb over Lundy.

Player...............GP W L OT SA GA GAA Sv Sv% SO G A PIM TOI
Jason LaBarbera 41 16 20 2 1220 109 2.94 1111 0.911 1 0 0 2 2,224:34
Henrik Lundqvist 50 24 21 5 1262 118 2.37 1144 0.906 7 0 0 2 2,989:49

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So Sam said that Labarbera played well. He did. Want ask him if he'd trade Lundqvist for Labarbera? And Sam did not say he was an outstanding player. He played outstanding that game.
I said The Outstanding player - not An outstanding player - there is a distinct difference. I am not a fan of Labarbara - I don't think that Hank is the foundation of the team like most do on this site. I am playing the contrarian because I think most are overstating his importance.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I don't see how you could possibly want Labarb over Lundy.

Player...............GP W L OT SA GA GAA Sv Sv% SO G A PIM TOI
Jason LaBarbera 41 16 20 2 1220 109 2.94 1111 0.911 1 0 0 2 2,224:34
Henrik Lundqvist 50 24 21 5 1262 118 2.37 1144 0.906 7 0 0 2 2,989:49
Read carefully - I never said that. I think we are overstating Hanks importance to the teams short and long term success. I am not a fan of Labarbara or Valiquette really - I am playing the contrarian point of view here.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:46 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
The point is that he is disparaging Labarbara - not that Labarbara is a much better goalie than Hank. He is making it seem that Hank is a superstar and Labarbara is a backup type. That is not what the #'s tell us this year.
but you can't just look at one year, you have to look at the big picture. Hank just came off back to back years of being a Vezina finalist. That's his first two seasons. That's absolutely huge and you can't take that away from him.

I agree that he isn't a superstar yet and that he is overrated a little on this board. IMO he is a top 10 goalie but not a top 5 yet, due to inconsistencies. he is a star player, and a young one at that.

But to say that an unproven backup, or AHL player would step in and fill his shoes is a reach. Could this actually happen? Of course it could, but to take that risk would be career suicide for Sather. You have a semi-proven commodity in Hank, who not 4 months ago had the best #'s in the league and looked absolutely unbeatable. You remember the stretch he had from the beginning of the season till december. That was some of the best hockey I have ever seen a goalie play.

He just has to find his game again, and also it wouldn't kill our defense to actually play a little defense once in a while and stop letting up so many shots from the slot.

Again he is overrated on this board, but not nearly to the extent it appears you think it is. In 5 yrs Lundy could very well pan out to be one of the best ever and than when we look back at these convos we could say "wow I underrated him completely". The converse is true as well. but from his short career I would tend to think that the former is more likely than the latter. I'm not saying he will become one of the best ever, I just think if I had to put money on which is more likely him becoming great, to him just being avg or worse I would choose him being great.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:48 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
But you’re starting to lose your message. That’s my point. Of course you’re going to get heat from the Hank-lusters on this board. Making it a personal quest with each and every post to denounce him and battle them is counterproductive and will only be seen by the mods as an attempt to inflame the board. I mean, you’re now proposing to send Hank to TB for Vinnie and Boyle leaving us with Vally and Montoya as our No 1 & 2. How can it be seen as anything other than pot stirring? I mean the very concept of it is absurd enough to make even JORTS cringe. I understand where you’re coming from and applaud your determination, but you’re losing ground. Your feelings about this player have been stated very clearly in all 151 of your posts, hehe. Time to move on, IMO.
I appreciate your opinion because it was not an attack and will take it into consideration. I don't have a beef with any other players on the team so I will have to create one.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Read carefully - I never said that. I think we are overstating Hanks importance to the teams short and long term success. I am not a fan of Labarbara or Valiquette really - I am playing the contrarian point of view here.
So, realistically, who would you have be our starting goaltender?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
but you can't just look at one year, you have to look at the big picture. Hank just came off back to back years of being a Vezina finalist. That's his first two seasons. That's absolutely huge and you can't take that away from him.

I agree that he isn't a superstar yet and that he is overrated a little on this board. IMO he is a top 10 goalie but not a top 5 yet, due to inconsistencies. he is a star player, and a young one at that.

But to say that an unproven backup, or AHL player would step in and fill his shoes is a reach. Could this actually happen? Of course it could, but to take that risk would be career suicide for Sather. You have a semi-proven commodity in Hank, who not 4 months ago had the best #'s in the league and looked absolutely unbeatable. You remember the stretch he had from the beginning of the season till december. That was some of the best hockey I have ever seen a goalie play.

He just has to find his game again, and also it wouldn't kill our defense to actually play a little defense once in a while and stop letting up so many shots from the slot.

Again he is overrated on this board, but not nearly to the extent it appears you think it is. In 5 yrs Lundy could very well pan out to be one of the best ever and than when we look back at these convos we could say "wow I underrated him completely". The converse is true as well. but from his short career I would tend to think that the former is more likely than the latter. I'm not saying he will become one of the best ever, I just think if I had to put money on which is more likely him becoming great, to him just being avg or worse I would choose him being great.
Well said - I agree with you - I have gotten cynical toward Hank because I know it stirs up the Hank lovers crowd. They don't seem to have an objective view even when he isn't playing well. I loved Hank especially the first year - but I see holes in his game that trouble me. It seems that when he is on he cannot be beat but tends to give goals up in bunches when he is not on. He is a top 10 goalie but seems to been in a long slump right now.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
I loved Hank especially the first year - also the second - his long slump is troubling to me - I worry that his game will not come back - it has happened to goalies before. I don't want him in there when he is not on because he is mediocre when not on. I want the hot goalie to play - whether that is Hank or Vally.

Old
02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
jake1970*

Quote:
When Carolina won the cup a few years ago Cam Ward got hot at the right time - he was not a superstar goalie and is not now - he is average. We cannot expect to get into the playoffs and do well relying on Hank who has been in a slump for quite a while now. I want to play the hot goalie and that may be Valiquette - stranger things have happened.

Old
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
When Carolina won the cup a few years ago Cam Ward got hot at the right time - he was not a superstar goalie and is not now - he is average. We cannot expect to get into the playoffs and do well relying on Hank who has been in a slump for quite a while now. I want to play the hot goalie and that may be Valiquette - stranger things have happened.
If we actually get to the playoffs it is going to because of Lundqvist

So yeah, expect to see him there, whether you like it or not

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
kiriel

checked the nhl goals against and goals for

we are tied 5 whit lowest goals against 147

goals scored is another story we are fourth last in the league 145
thats the problem can blame golie , defence but when you aint scoring you aint winning.

kiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriel View Post

thats the problem can blame golie , defence but when you aint scoring you aint winning.
welcome aboard.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriel View Post

On the "can't blame defense for not scoring..."

Yes and no. My broken record keeps spinning on this board. The Rangers need to get better D-men. Defense is played as a team, which includes the forwards. It is also frequently a D-man who starts the offense. Right now, the forwards of the NYR are not only without a great playmaker, who can set up the proven scorers (Jagr, Shanny, and Gomez) of the team, but they also need two or three solid defense men who can releave their own forwards from some defensive pressure and also turn defense into offense when they are on the ice.

People I'd want to see the NYR go after would be guys like:
Kaberle
Tallinder
Nick Grossman
Komisarek
Brewer
Brent Seabrook

Any two of these would be a tremendous lift for the Rangers, Kaberle & Tallinder, no doubt. A guy like Samy Salo would be a dream, but I believe the Canucks locked him up for some time.

Seal the deal on Lundqvist (7 years for $45-50 mil). He is great already and he will become better. It is the one time the Rangers have a chance to enjoy a superstar during his prime, as opposed to in the dawn of his career, and in 3-4 years, his contract will be a bargain.

He is Sundin like in the sense that he will want to stay with "HIS" team and win there, and trust me, he will want that cup like few other people have desired it. He already has won the SEL, Worldchampionships, and the Olympics. But what he doesn't have is the Cup, and as long as he is feeling financially secure (which he probably already does), he will do anything to win a cup, including taking a paycut to get better players on board. His agent may be a different story though, at least this time around. However, in 7 years, he will be in his early 30's, and if his health permits, he will still have another good 5-7 years to play... you think he'll want to leave "HIS" team and home then? At hat point he is a Ranger until the Rangers says he is not.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post

Yes and no. My broken record keeps spinning on this board. The Rangers need to get better D-men. Defense is played as a team, which includes the forwards. It is also frequently a D-man who starts the offense. Right now, the forwards of the NYR are not only without a great playmaker, who can set up the proven scorers (Jagr, Shanny, and Gomez) of the team, but they also need two or three solid defense men who can releave their own forwards from some defensive pressure and also turn defense into offense when they are on the ice.

Kaberle
Tallinder
Nick Grossman
Komisarek
Brewer
Brent Seabrook

Any two of these would be a tremendous lift for the Rangers, Kaberle & Tallinder, no doubt. A guy like Samy Salo would be a dream, but I believe the Canucks locked him up for some time.

Seal the deal on Lundqvist (7 years for $45-50 mil). He is great already and he will become better. It is the one time the Rangers have a chance to enjoy a superstar during his prime, as opposed to in the dawn of his career, and in 3-4 years, his contract will be a bargain.

He is Sundin like in the sense that he will want to stay with "HIS" team and win there, and trust me, he will want that cup like few other people have desired it. He already has won the SEL, Worldchampionships, and the Olympics. But what he doesn't have is the Cup, and as long as he is feeling financially secure (which he probably already does), he will do anything to win a cup, including taking a paycut to get better players on board. His agent may be a different story though, at least this time around. However, in 7 years, he will be in his early 30's, and if his health permits, he will still have another good 5-7 years to play... you think he'll want to leave "HIS" team and home then? At hat point he is a Ranger until the Rangers says he is not.
Can someone explain why Strudwick is still on this team??? Can Baranka be worse? I doubt it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Can someone explain why Strudwick is still on this team??? Can Baranka be worse? I doubt it.
Strudwick, while frighteningly slow, is not in general a *bad* defenseman. He's also the closest thing we have to toughness on defense, and is extremely good with helping the kids we have on defense.

Baranka is still prone to occasional blunders with the puck and getting caught out of position in the AHL. More importantly, it seems like he's constantly getting hurt.

Those are the factors that are being taken into account, IMHO. Strudwick is a fantastic 7th defenseman to have around to fill in here and there when minor injuries strike. He shouldn't be playing as often as he is, and Baranka probably would have gotten the call this most recent time when Strudwick found a semi-permanent place in the line up with Malik hurt, but he was hurt himself...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:10 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I still dont get why people make this claim. If something happens, insurance takes over and pays the player out. The team doesnt get stuck with the bill or those numbers on the cap. Whats the risk?
I'm not sure insurance covers contracts that are over a certain amount of years (7 or 8 maybe) in length.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsIslesFan View Post
I'm not sure insurance covers contracts that are over a certain amount of years (7 or 8 maybe) in length.
Its longer than that. And they can still insure the player, but the organization has to pay for it differently.

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post

Kaberle
Tallinder
Nick Grossman
Komisarek
Brewer
Brent Seabrook

tallinder has injury problems and isnt very physical for his size....can we say malik jr........also komisarek, although very physical is prone to defensive blunders because he tries for the big hits and is caught out of place and he isnt the best skater, and to top things off he takes dumb penalties...the other ones would be nice to have though

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Why is there an asterisk next to Jake's name? Was he banned for blasphemy?

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
JohnnyBoychuk55
Shift in Power?

$40-$50 million dollars for 7 years?!!! Thats insane!!! Who would ever sign someone for that long, the committee has lost their minds

Sorry guys, my team sucks right now SO i have to keep myself entertained

JohnnyBoychuk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
$40-$50 million dollars for 7 years?!!! Thats insane!!! Who would ever sign someone for that long, the committee has lost their minds

and yet, still less than half as many yeas as dipi is signed for

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
DP's committed to never winning a Cup I guess.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Well, yeah. With all due respect inferno, I believe that was the joke.

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote