HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aftonbladet: "Lundqvist to negotiate for new ≈$6.7M/year deal"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2008, 09:50 AM
  #176
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
Do you really see a team signing him to an offer sheet the the Rangers couldn't match? We're talking a huge 6yr/48mil deal or something. I just don't see other teams even attempting it at this point. Which makes me wonder if Sather will play hardball.
I don't think you want to take that risk. Lundqvist is still young and a lot of goalies don't really hit their stride until they're almost 30 or so. You don't want to risk letting him walk off to some other team because of some early career ups and downs.

Then again, you don't just throw everything at him because he's done pretty well. So...you negotiate and try to come up with a deal that you like.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
  #177
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think you want to take that risk. Lundqvist is still young and a lot of goalies don't really hit their stride until they're almost 30 or so. You don't want to risk letting him walk off to some other team because of some early career ups and downs.

Then again, you don't just throw everything at him because he's done pretty well. So...you negotiate and try to come up with a deal that you like.
exactly. but it should be in the range of $5-$6 mil. In no way do I think that Hank deserves a penny over $6.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM
  #178
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
It's like Santana, he's shown enough to feel good about offering him a $50MM contract, but there's just enough room for doubt that you don't want to over commit on time and/or money.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:43 AM
  #179
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,579
vCash: 500
It really wouldn't surprise me if his recent "ok" play has Sather asking why he should pay top dollar for a goalie who hasn't quite found his consistency yet. But I think overall it won't keep a deal from getting done

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 10:49 AM
  #180
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
It's like Santana, he's shown enough to feel good about offering him a $50MM contract, but there's just enough room for doubt that you don't want to over commit on time and/or money.
except that Santana has been dominant for 6 straight years, and Lundy has been inconsistently dominant over 2 1/2. And baseball doesn't have a cap so if you make a bad signing all you do is lose money ie Mo Vaughn, whereas in hockey if you spend too much on a player that doesn't pan out exactly as you thought you can screw your franchise for years.

So yea its sorta like that but it is a much more important and harder decision for the Rangers than the mets.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
  #181
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
except that Santana has been dominant for 6 straight years, and Lundy has been inconsistently dominant over 2 1/2. And baseball doesn't have a cap so if you make a bad signing all you do is lose money ie Mo Vaughn, whereas in hockey if you spend too much on a player that doesn't pan out exactly as you thought you can screw your franchise for years.

So yea its sorta like that but it is a much more important and harder decision for the Rangers than the mets.
Right, but the bar for goalies has been set by other teams in the league, not to mention that two straight Vezina noms has to come in to play. Many observers see Lundy at worst a top 10 goalie, if not top 5 or higher, and that doesn't leave a lot of room to negotiate. Let's not forget either that his best years are in front of him. Goalies don't mature for quite a while.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
  #182
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Right, but the bar for goalies has been set by other teams in the league, not to mention that two straight Vezina noms has to come in to play. Many observers see Lundy at worst a top 10 goalie, if not top 5 or higher, and that doesn't leave a lot of room to negotiate. Let's not forget either that his best years are in front of him. Goalies don't mature for quite a while.
Yeah but he isn't consistent enough to be in the top 5. He definately doesn't desereve Luongo type money.

I really think that Nabakov-Giguere type contract is what he earned so far. 5.375 - 6 mil. I really don't even think Lundy is better than either of those two yet. He is on pare w/ Giguer but I think Nabakov is still a little better than him.

Even Kipper is only getting 5.8 mil per season starting next year.


And if you want to go by comparables age wise you have Ward and Miller at 2.6. Granted Lundy is better than both, but Ward did backstop his team to a Cup and Miller to conference finals. Both further than Hank.

Everybody is foolish for basing his next salary by what Luongo gets. He is the only Great goalie (maybe the only one) getting over $6 mil per season. And he is by FAR the superior goalie over Hank until Hank can develop some consistency. I really am having trouble understanding why the NYR should be one of the only teams to pay over $6 mil a season for a goalie when basically every other team pays less. It just baffles me that people are so nieve to say give him what he wants or he deserves at least 7 mil. NO F**KING way does he deserve that much. Look at other goalies first.


Oh and by the way Luongo's contract is suffocating that team as they don't have the room to go out and get the right players to surround him w/ to win a SC. Again you need a full team a great goalie alone won't win you a SC. A good team around a great goalie will. Don't strap yourself by giving everything to one goalie.

by the way all cap #'s came from http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
  #183
Blueshirt Brawler
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Brawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Yonkers, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
I don't want to see him signed to a ten year deal. Six or seven years is more than enough. He'll be 26 in a month and guaranteeing him more than seven years is a risky move if you ask me. You never know with these goaltenders. When they go south they do so in a hurry. I'm not saying Henrik won't get back on top of his game again because he most certainly will but I think a ten year deal is ridiculous.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
  #184
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I don't want to see him signed to a ten year deal. Six or seven years is more than enough. He'll be 26 in a month and guaranteeing him more than seven years is a risky move if you ask me. You never know with these goaltenders. When they go south they do so in a hurry. I'm not saying Henrik won't get back on top of his game again because he most certainly will but I think a ten year deal is ridiculous.
I don't think anyone is seriously talking about a 10 year deal. My guess is they settle on 6 years after all is said and done.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
  #185
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,345
vCash: 500
It's already been mentioned in this thread that deal will not have a ridiculous term

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
  #186
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
5 years at 5.5 mil, (plus .5 mil or a year) should be fine.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
  #187
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pretty sure Sather wasn't allowed to negotiate with Meehan until January first. Rules of the CBA after Lundqvist signed that 1 year deal



Who's to say they're not concerned about offer sheets? The point is that they've got plenty of time to sign him and everyone else, and there's no real indication that Sather is slacking in this department other than some people freaking out that Lundqvist wasn't signed on January 1st.

And that's not even getting into the other side of things and whether or not Meehan is being slow with negotiations on his end.
The Rangers and Meehan had discussions at the end of last season regarding a long term deal for Lundqvist.The Rangers didn't have the room to accomodate the salary Lundqvist would command in a long term deal so they agreed on a 1 year deal.They told Lundqvist they would take care of him as soon as they were allowed under the CBA.

Other teams have started the process of locking up their group II and III free agents.Ottawa re-signed Dany Heatley and Mike Fisher.Calgary got Jarome Iginla,Miikka Kiprusoff and Robyn Regher re-signed..Dion Phaneuf(Don Meehan client)is next.Nashville re-signed JP Dumont(today),David Legwand and Chris Mason who were all going to be group III FA's this summer.The Flyers got Mike Richards and Braydon Coburn signed-both were group II's.SJ locked up Matt Carle and Minny locked up Brent Burns.There are many more examples.Joe Thornton.Patrick Marleau.Mike Robiero.

From press accounts,Sather hasn't discussed contracts for Michal Roszival and Sean Avery.If can't sign them,shouldn't he be looking to move them instead of losing them for nothing.Atlanta is in the mix for a playoff spot and they may move Marian Hossa because they don't want to lose him for nothing.Vancouver was looking to trade Sami Salo this time last season before he signed a 4 year extension.Sather has a blase attitude when it comes to running this team.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
  #188
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Yeah but he isn't consistent enough to be in the top 5. He definately doesn't desereve Luongo type money.

I really think that Nabakov-Giguere type contract is what he earned so far. 5.375 - 6 mil. I really don't even think Lundy is better than either of those two yet. He is on pare w/ Giguer but I think Nabakov is still a little better than him.

Even Kipper is only getting 5.8 mil per season starting next year.


And if you want to go by comparables age wise you have Ward and Miller at 2.6. Granted Lundy is better than both, but Ward did backstop his team to a Cup and Miller to conference finals. Both further than Hank.

Everybody is foolish for basing his next salary by what Luongo gets. He is the only Great goalie (maybe the only one) getting over $6 mil per season. And he is by FAR the superior goalie over Hank until Hank can develop some consistency. I really am having trouble understanding why the NYR should be one of the only teams to pay over $6 mil a season for a goalie when basically every other team pays less. It just baffles me that people are so nieve to say give him what he wants or he deserves at least 7 mil. NO F**KING way does he deserve that much. Look at other goalies first.


Oh and by the way Luongo's contract is suffocating that team as they don't have the room to go out and get the right players to surround him w/ to win a SC. Again you need a full team a great goalie alone won't win you a SC. A good team around a great goalie will. Don't strap yourself by giving everything to one goalie.

by the way all cap #'s came from http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm
I wasn't suggesting he deserves a $7MM deal, but I think Meehan makes the argument on a $6MM deal (8 years). Who know, maybe Slats gets him to a $5MM deal loaded with bonuses, but Slats aint' exactly known for underpaying.

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment: When you compare his record against the top 10 goalies in TOI (he's 3rd in TOI): he's 3rd in GAA, 1st in SOs, tied for 4th in wins, and 6th in SV%. So, despite his inconsistency this year, an argument can be made that despite that he's still, at worst, a top 6 goal tender.

I still feel that doesn't merit much more than a $5.5MM contract for 5-6 years, but you can certainly see where Meehan will argue for more.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:00 PM
  #189
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I wasn't suggesting he deserves a $7MM deal, but I think Meehan makes the argument on a $6MM deal (8 years). Who know, maybe Slats gets him to a $5MM deal loaded with bonuses, but Slats aint' exactly known for underpaying.

Playing Devils Advocate for a moment: When you compare his record against the top 10 goalies in TOI (he's 3rd in TOI): he's 3rd in GAA, 1st in SOs, tied for 4th in wins, and 6th in SV%. So, despite his inconsistency this year, an argument can be made that despite that he's still, at worst, a top 6 goal tender.

I still feel that doesn't merit much more than a $5.5MM contract for 5-6 years, but you can certainly see where Meehan will argue for more.
Sorry about implying that you think that he deserved a 7 mil deal. It was just meant to be more of a statement about some others who have posted on this board.

Look at his #'s league wide though: 6th in Wins, 2nd most losses, 5th most OT losses, 8th SA, 10th GAA, 23rd SV%, 2nd SO, 3rd TOI. and he doesn't even have any assists naughty:.

He went from being great this year, to almost below avg. Honestly this season he is just an avg goalie. Nothing more, nothing less. Right now he is the third best goalie in the Metro area. And that is all due to consistency, which he doesn't have.

I do agree w/ your contract though.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
  #190
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post

Look at his #'s league wide though: 6th in Wins, 2nd most losses, 5th most OT losses, 8th SA, 10th GAA, 23rd SV%, 2nd SO, 3rd TOI. and he doesn't even have any assists naughty:.
2nd most in losses, but 6th in wins, plus add that we are the worst in team in GF. This is why people hire marketers, to put the best spin on the data.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics, the root of any good message board argument! I think both of our points are that the numbers can be used for and against, and it really depends on what Slats wants to do.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
  #191
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Lies, damn lies, and statistics, the root of any good message board argument! I think both of our points are that the numbers can be used for and against, and it really depends on what Slats wants to do.
exactly. Hopefully he doesn't become such a pushover... However its Slats we're talking about

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
  #192
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,345
vCash: 500
Lundqvist isn't eligible for bonuses

Phaneuf is reportedly going to sign a 6 year extension worth $6.5 million per-$39 million in total.Same agent as Henrik

Kiprusoff got $35 million over 6 years and will be 32 year old by the start of next season.Henrik turns 26 this March

You wouldn't give Lundqvist the Phaneuf contract?$6 million.$6.5 million.$3 million extra over the course of the contract.The Rangers gave Shanahan a $2 million bonus for playing 10 games this season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
  #193
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Lundqvist isn't eligible for bonuses

Phaneuf is reportedly going to sign a 6 year extension worth $6.5 million per-$39 million in total.Same agent as Henrik

Kiprusoff got $35 million over 6 years and will be 32 year old by the start of next season.Henrik turns 26 this March

You wouldn't give Lundqvist the Phaneuf contract?$6 million.$6.5 million.$3 million extra over the course of the contract.The Rangers gave Shanahan a $2 million bonus for playing 10 games this season.
Still under $6 mil cap hit. He also won a vezina and backstopped his team to a SC final. He is completely proven. He earned his money.

Hank while proven to a point has not proven he can put up a consistent season yet. First year he faltered toward the end, second year had avg. first half, this year had horrible dec, jan. hasn't had 1 consecutive season.

a player should have to earn his money. and again look at all the other goalies in the league. I think that Luongo is the only one w/ a cap hit of over $6mil. So again. NO I WOULDN'T SIGN HIM FOR A $6m+ salary. He hasn't earned it yet I am not sure if he will ever be worth it.

I really would be uncomfortable giving him over $5.5 mil. I really believe he is only worth $5mil per season.

Also if we give him a salary over 6 we won't win a cup until Drury is gone. $21 mil tied up over 3 salaries (none being a dman) will kill this franchise. We won't be able to get good players to balance out our lineup. The $1 or $2 mil extra cap room can make a big difference in filling out your roster or signing a big name dman, forward. Or two good dman.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
  #194
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Still under $6 mil cap hit. He also won a vezina and backstopped his team to a SC final. He is completely proven. He earned his money.

Hank while proven to a point has not proven he can put up a consistent season yet. First year he faltered toward the end, second year had avg. first half, this year had horrible dec, jan. hasn't had 1 consecutive season.

a player should have to earn his money. and again look at all the other goalies in the league. I think that Luongo is the only one w/ a cap hit of over $6mil. So again. NO I WOULDN'T SIGN HIM FOR A $6m+ salary. He hasn't earned it yet I am not sure if he will ever be worth it.

I really would be uncomfortable giving him over $5.5 mil. I really believe he is only worth $5mil per season.

Also if we give him a salary over 6 we won't win a cup until Drury is gone. $21 mil tied up over 3 salaries (none being a dman) will kill this franchise. We won't be able to get good players to balance out our lineup. The $1 or $2 mil extra cap room can make a big difference in filling out your roster or signing a big name dman, forward. Or two good dman.
If it was up to you,the Rangers wouldn't pay anybody.You want to sign Brian Campbell for $4 million per.Only problem is Campbell is going to $6 million plus.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
  #195
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If it was up to you,the Rangers wouldn't pay anybody.You want to sign Brian Campbell for $4 million per.Only problem is Campbell is going to $6 million plus.
do you think campbell is worth around the same as Phaneuf? No. and I honestly don't think he will fetch $6 mil plus. Also he is a UFA Lundy is an RFA. There is a big difference on what you will fetch.

Most players take some discounts to sign w/ there teams. So should Lundy.

Also I said he should get money somewhere inbetween Marty, Kipper, and Nabokov. Which is around the $5.5 mil range. He isn't better than any of those goalies. why should he get paid more? Please give me a reason. You say I won't pay it if it was up to me. You have never, not once, give a valid reason of why he should be paid more than those three great goalies or why he should be paid Luongo money. I have given my reasons why he shouldn't. Backed it up w/ facts. You haven't give 1 single reason why he should be paid that much.

And don't compare different positions. You can't compare forwards and dman to goalies. There are price ranges for each. If you do than why isn't Luongo paid like crosby. Why isn't he making the make he can per season. He is the best goalie in the league. Goalie is the most important position. Why isn't he paid the most? It's just dumb to compare different positions.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
  #196
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
5 years at 5.5 mil, (plus .5 mil or a year) should be fine.
I think it will be more like 6 years at 6m (as a minimum.) But I'd obviously be happy if we could save a bit of cap room.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
  #197
OldBlueSeats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
6 years at $4.5 mill up to $6 million at the end of the contract

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
  #198
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueSeats View Post
6 years at $4.5 mill up to $6 million at the end of the contract
The cap is still the average of that contract, assume it's an average of $5.25MM per season based on your #s.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
  #199
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
The cap is still the average of that contract, assume it's an average of $5.25MM per season based on your #s.
right around where it should be.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 03:16 PM
  #200
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Maybe the big twist in these negotiations is Lundy is asking for a shorter contract at say $5.25MM to prove his value? Taking it from this position, if Lundy thinks he will only get better to take a bit less now for the even bigger payout later, especially with less time on Gomer & Drury's contracts, and the likelihood of a new CBA. Slats may be the one looking for a longer term deal to control the costs.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.