HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Habsfan18's "Taking a look back" (volume 3.0)!

Old
12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Habsfan18's "Taking a look back" (volume 3.0)!

Here's my previous 2 threads:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=304463
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=354203

along with one from the Habs page just recently:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=452196

Anyways, I have a big collection of past issues of THN and sometimes I like to go through old issues for the hell of it. Thought some past "news and notes" might interest you guys again.

-------------------------------------------

For version 3.0 we'll take a look at the December 13th, 2002 issue.

- On the cover is Washington Capitals winger Jaromir Jagr. Writing underneath his picture states "How he's gone from NHL torch carrier to mere superstar"

- For the quote of the week we have rangers center Eric Lindros: "I'm only getting worried if they want to send me back to Philly." Lindros was once again subject of trade rumors.

- In the what's hot and what's not category: "Hot" is the Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison line..the play of Marty Turco and Daniel Cloutier..Dave Andreychuk's 600th goal..and the great play of Mario Lemieux. "Not" is Jose Theodore's and Jarome Iginla's dissapointing play...Buffalo for not keeping Micael Peca, who's now "saving" the Islanders..and obstruction.

- Mario Lemieux is leading the NHL with 45 points through 21 games. The next highest is 29 points, shared by Thornton and Modano.

- Coyotes d-man Drake Berehowsky recalls all of his serious knee injuries.

- Derian Hatcher is "dynamite" for the Dallas Stars. Good health, coaching and conditioning are the credit to that.

- Anaheim looks to the returning (injury) Adam Oates to boost team offense. Anaheim went 6-4-2-3 in his absense.

- New Thrashers goaltender Byron Dafoe brings a load of optimism to a team who needs it.

- Buffalo's Chris Gratton puts inconsistency behind him with a strong showing in seasons first quarter.

- Carolina's Jeff O'Neill not happy after being demoted to the 3rd line. O'neill only had 1 goal in his last 9 games.

- Grateful BlackHawkTheo Fleury striving to stay clean. Fleury has been cleared to play as of Nov.25.

- Rumors suggest Colorado is about to deal Alex Tanguay, Martin Skoula and an unknown player to Boston for Martin Lapointe and holdout Kyle Mclaren.

- Chris Chelios states of the league: "They are ruining the game, no matter what Mario says. Hockey is horrible right now."

- Florida gets younger as they aquire Jaroslav Bednar and Andres Lilja from LA for Dmitry Yushkevich.

- Wild defenseman Nick Shultz suffering from the sophomore jinx.

- Canadiens forward Mariusz Czerkawski is on pace for a career low 8 goals.

- Isles Mattias Weinhandl's eye injury doesn't halt development as elite point producer.

- Due to Richter's concussion, Dan Blackburn has taken the reigns in NY and is their early season MVP.

- A new 2 year-4.7 million dollar deal to Simon Gagne is weighing heavy on the youngster.

- The old Teemu Selanne is back as the Sharks forward scores 12 goals through the 1st quarter on the season.

- Alex Mogilny is the Leafs early season MVP. Bryan McCabe is frustrated with injury and poor play..so are the fans.

- Michael Nylander is shining for the Caps.

- In the AHL, River Rats goaltender Ari Ahonen is looking like a sure bet to make in impact in the NHL one day.

- Tampa's Nikolai Khabibulin is picked by THN as the leagues best goaltender so far this season.

- In this weeks "seperated at birth" feature, we have Pasi Nurminen and Eric Cartman.

- Philly's Roman Cechmanek surprised at the fact they traded Brian Boucher. Says he loves the pressure.

------------------------------

Let me know what u guys think. I don't mind doing these, if you guys are interested that is.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Haha cool, it's always fun to read about that stuff. I recall most of it, but would not have thought about it if someone like you wouldn't have brought it up . I say keep em coming if you don't mind doing them.

Boy have things changed for McCabe!

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Haha cool, it's always fun to read about that stuff. I recall most of it, but would not have thought about it if someone like you wouldn't have brought it up . I say keep em coming if you don't mind doing them.

Boy have things changed for McCabe!
Was just thinking too, man Dan Blackburn had such great potential. IMO, the Rangers ruined him. Too much pressure as a teenager.

Old
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Disgruntled

Quote:
Mario Lemieux is leading the NHL with 45 points through 21 games. The next highest is 29 points, shared by Thornton and Modano.
Damn, I miss him.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

It's also great going through old draft previews and future watch issues.

Some predictions are gold. As stated in the Habs thread..Les Kuntar was our goalie of the future in 1994..

Old
12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Was just thinking too, man Dan Blackburn had such great potential. IMO, the Rangers ruined him. Too much pressure as a teenager.
An injury ended his career.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:51 PM
vcx*

How did the Rangers ruin Blackburn's career? He went overboard with his workouts and screwed his own career up. Sure it's just a bad luck type of thing, not the Rangers fault.

Man, imagine if Colorado pulled that trade with Boston. Talk about an ugly trade, well not for Boston. I miss Mario as well and it's funny that Nylander was a capital that year, you could basically use that same statement today.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
How did the Rangers ruin Blackburn's career? He went overboard with his workouts and screwed his own career up. Sure it's just a bad luck type of thing, not the Rangers fault.
Maybe I used a wrong choice of words.

They didn't ruin his career alone I guess..I just mean he wasn't ready for the NHL, and he over worked himself which lead to a career ending injury.

Old
12-11-2007, 12:40 AM
vcx*

He put too much pressure on himself to be a #1 goaltender, to come to camp in the best shape he could possibly be and he just over did it. Some could argue that the pressure to perform in the big apple probably got to him but i don't recall that incident being the Rangers fault at all.

It was a crappy deal for Blackburn, i thought he would turn out to be a damn good goalie in the NHL, when that accident happened i was in shock. A bright future ended by something that could have been avoided by just taking it easy or just not too hard.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 12:43 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
He put too much pressure on himself to be a #1 goaltender, to come to camp in the best shape he could possibly be and he just over did it. Some could argue that the pressure to perform in the big apple probably got to him but i don't recall that incident being the Rangers fault at all.

It was a crappy deal for Blackburn, i thought he would turn out to be a damn good goalie in the NHL, when that accident happened i was in shock. A bright future ended by something that could have been avoided by just taking it easy or just not too hard.
Well it was that time when their team was full of primadonnas, trying to buy free agents and ice a competitive team. Blackburn had nothing to work with and he did well considering his age. He had loads of potential, too bad for him.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
denverdevil

That's a fun read. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
- In the AHL, River Rats goaltender Ari Ahonen is looking like a sure bet to make in impact in the NHL one day.
Oops.

denverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

guys, I just received (in the mail) approx 180 issues of THN (late 80's to mid 90's)

Some gems include: Pittsburgh Cup x2, Rangers Cup, Devils Cup, Avalanche Cup, Quebec's move, Patrick Roy trade, NHL lockout 1994, etc..

Let me know if you'd like any info/news/insight or anything, I'll take a look.

Old
12-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Brownies

Quote:
guys, I just received (in the mail) approx 180 issues of THN (late 80's to mid 90's)

Some gems include: Pittsburgh Cup x2, Rangers Cup, Devils Cup, Avalanche Cup, Quebec's move, Patrick Roy trade, NHL lockout 1994, etc..

I'd like to hear about Quebec for sure. That was a hard time even as an habs fan. The league's not been the same since. It killed one of the greatest rivalry ever, all sports included.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 11:31 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Bryan McCabe is frustrated with injury and poor play..so are the fans
Some things never change.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 11:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
The Rangers didn't ruin him, that nerve injury did.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Sensfanman

I personally love these look backs and I'd love to see more.

Mario Lemieux, at age 36 was still over 2 points per game...mind boggling really

A lot of really funny prospect things, great stuff.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:08 AM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
I'd appriciate it if you stopped doing these things. I prefer that we value first round picks and unproven prospects to 30 goal scorers and proven players in the NHL.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

I would love to see the projected draft preview rankings on Brian Foggarty and Joe Sakic.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:16 AM
zepps

Thanks for posting that. I love seeing the old headlines

Quote:
In the what's hot and what's not category: "Hot" is the Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison line..the play of Marty Turco and Daniel Cloutier.
Daniel Cloutier on the hot list.

I don't know what to say to that.

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
skunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I would love to see the projected draft preview rankings on Brian Foggarty and Joe Sakic.
Yes, I am definitely interested in any draft info from that period that you can provide.

skunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

That is pretty cool stuff. I had the hockey news deliver their papers to my house for about 2 years but stopped when the lockout started. I moved in the summer and I think they all got thrown out.

What does your first issue say?

Mr BLUEandWHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
I personally love these look backs and I'd love to see more.

Mario Lemieux, at age 36 was still over 2 points per game...mind boggling really

A lot of really funny prospect things, great stuff.
Lemieux only put up those numbers because he was playing in the wide open 80's. There's no way Gretzky or Lemieux could have done that in the clutch and grab era. The players are so much better today that they wouldn't even be able to compete.

PS. Peter Forsberg is the greatest player ever.

Thanks for posting H18. Those old TSNs are always fun to read.

12-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownies View Post
I'd like to hear about Quebec for sure. That was a hard time even as an habs fan. The league's not been the same since. It killed one of the greatest rivalry ever, all sports included.
really?

might want to try that one again.... hockey forum or not

edit:

Ok, I see it says ONE of the greatest... so, nevermind... still leaving this post though, lol

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
I remember the hype.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

here's Peter Forsberg's profile/report from the 1991 Draft Preview:

Quote:
There are some scouts who believe Sweden's Peter Forsberg is a better all around player than teammate Markus Naslund. "But he can't finish like Naslund, though he compensates in other areas, " says a scout. "He's a good playmaker and very competitive. I'd compare him to (Winnipeg's) Tomas Steen, in terms of style, though I don't think he'll be as good as Steen." Like Naslund, Forsberg suffered through a poor tournament at the European Junior Championships. But scouts still talk about his outstanding effort against the Soviets in Four Nations play. "He was brilliant, " says a scout. "He's a good solid two-way player."
And gotta love this quote about Pat Falloon:

Quote:
"Some guys, like Joe Sakic and Theoren Fleury are just born to play the game, " "What they do comes so naturally to them. That's the way it is for Falloon."