HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Another Oilers-Flyers deal possible?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
Is Another Oilers-Flyers deal possible?

With the Flyers actively looking for a "stop gap" defenseman could there be another deal with the Oilers in the works? Ferguson could be that type of D-man they're looking for. Ferguson for a 3rd round pick? Throw in Laraque and you get a prospect + the pick maybe???

Old
01-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Mr Sakich

If the oilers could work a deal for prusek, maybe a smith + salo for Carter deal could be made? Philly has a real problem in net as can't Hackett has vertigo and has not played well lately. He is a real question mark for the upcomming playoffs and I can't see Clarke icing a 65 million dollar team with esche in net.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but as per Pierre McGuire (On Team 990 in Mtl) apparently, Jeff Hackett approached Bobby Clarke to say he cannot "hack' the load of being a #1 starter and that is why we are seeing Esche running with it now.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:13 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
If the oilers could work a deal for prusek, maybe a smith + salo for Carter deal could be made? Philly has a real problem in net as can't Hackett has vertigo and has not played well lately. He is a real question mark for the upcomming playoffs and I can't see Clarke icing a 65 million dollar team with esche in net.
Not to say that I don't like the trade idea, but that would really be throwing in the towel on the season though.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Not to say that I don't like the trade idea, but that would really be throwing in the towel on the season though.
The emrgence of Ulanov / Semenov pairing means that the oilers can trade away Jason without being decimated.

Brewer / Staois
Semenov / Ulanov
Cross / Fergusson
Bergeron

I can live with this defence. Either Lynch or Woywitka have to be considered for our line-up next year so a move has to be made. As for Salo, I don't think Lowe can make a move unless he has a deal for another goalie in place. There are a few available and the going rate seems to be a 2nd rounder.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I dont totally agree that the Oilers would be throwing in the towel for the season. If the Oilers traded Salo & Smith the Flyers would have to give up something of value, like Comrie (just kidding) I have heard that the Flyers would be willing to part with Gagne for a starting goalie. The flyers also have some decent prospects in Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

Also with the play of Ulanov as of late, it would cushon the blow of losing Smith. Conklin has already proved that he can play at the NHL level.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Oiltalk

Ferguson wouldn't be of interest to the Flyers. They just lost Ragnarson to injury, and are said to be looking for a #4 defenceman. That spells Smith. Not sure about what the Oilers would want in return though Carter would be nice.

The defence has been playing well without Smith as of late thanks to the play of Ulanov, so if we could get a roster player back in return for him, it would be a steal.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Yanner39

In all honesty, I'm really starting to believe Lowe won't make any deals because with the way the team's playing, he's not exactly dealing from a position of strenght. I mean, I hope he won't wait until the trade deadline. It's an exciting day, but the NHL trade dealine is stupid. Way too late in the season. If Lowe's gonna wait until then, then gear up for next season.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:03 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Ferguson wouldn't be of interest to the Flyers. They just lost Ragnarson to injury, and are said to be looking for a #4 defenceman. That spells Smith. Not sure about what the Oilers would want in return though Carter would be nice.

The defence has been playing well without Smith as of late thanks to the play of Ulanov, so if we could get a roster player back in return for him, it would be a steal.
Ummm... Clark said he didn't expect anyone to offer him a top 4 defenceman and all he is looking for is a stop gap.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Ummm... Clark said he didn't expect anyone to offer him a top 4 defenceman and all he is looking for is a stop gap.
Well it has changed since yesterday.

Ragnarsson will be sidelined for about two weeks with a sprained rotator cuff, reports the Philadelphia Inquirer. With injuries to Eric Desjardins and Dennis Seidenberg as well, the Flyers are suddenly in desperate need of defensive help. GM Bobby Clarke has already said he will make a trade, but he's waiting until a team comes forward with a "top four" defenseman.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:26 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Well it has changed since yesterday.

Ragnarsson will be sidelined for about two weeks with a sprained rotator cuff, reports the Philadelphia Inquirer. With injuries to Eric Desjardins and Dennis Seidenberg as well, the Flyers are suddenly in desperate need of defensive help. GM Bobby Clarke has already said he will make a trade, but he's waiting until a team comes forward with a "top four" defenseman.
"I would say we're going to get somebody," Clarke said. "We've talked to a lot of teams. There are a few guys around. Mostly what you're looking at now is a stop-gap guy. No one has come out (and offered) a top-four guy yet. I don't know if that will happen or not."

Link

Old
01-20-2004, 10:32 AM
PineJockey

Now that they have Markov, I guess all the speculation can end. Man, Philly is starting to look tough.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=68891

Last edited by PineJockey: 01-20-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old
01-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Oiltalk

There's that top 4 guy. Would be nice to have Williams right about now, with the Oilers scoring problems.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:43 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
There's that top 4 guy. Would be nice to have Williams right about now, with the Oilers scoring problems.
He has 6 goals in 46 games... how does that address the Oilers scoring woes?

Old
01-20-2004, 01:01 PM
copperandblue

I know it's pretty much a dead issue but would it have been a good deal for Edmonton to offer Smith and Salo for Carter and Hackett (I say that without really knowing the potential in Carter but I hear good things about him)?

Here is my reasoning, Philly is/was desperate for a blueliner and a goalie so this offer addresses both (although the effectiveness of Salo could be debated).

Smith is probably as good of a fit for Philly as any D out there and Salo gives them someone one different between the pipes (and by all rights he is playing better).

In Edmonton we get more "next year" but Carter gives us a another top two line(?) center that is over 6 feet tall and Hackett fills the void left by Tommy for the remainder of this year.

Hackett has proven in Montreal that he is a capable goalie in the right situation and Edmonton may be a better fit than Philly (a town that is notoriously hard on Tenders) so it's not like the Oilers would be giving up on the season just yet.

With the addition of Ulanov and the better play by Brew and Semenov, Smith may be a little more expendable.

The one real downer is that trading the Captain could have serious effects in teh dressing room and cause the players to pull the chute on the season by extension.

Old
01-20-2004, 01:11 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I know it's pretty much a dead issue but would it have been a good deal for Edmonton to offer Smith and Salo for Carter and Hackett (I say that without really knowing the potential in Carter but I hear good things about him)?
An interesting deal. I don't see Philadelphia dealing Carter though. The one aspect that would appeal to Philly but not to Edmonton. Hackett has 2 more years at 3 Million/year. If the Oilers could get Carter for that, that would be a dream but it won't happen. Carter won't be traded.

P.S if you think Salo at 4 million/year is bad. Imagine having Hackett at 3million/year.

Old
01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Do you guys think Lowe would sign Ulanov to an extension after this season?

I think a top 6 of:

Brewer - Smith
Staios - Cross
Semenov - Ulanov

will give us some depth and stability on our blueline...something that we've been struggling with since we dealt Niinimaa away. Our defense has been solid the past several games since Ulanov was acquired so I wouldn't fix what ain't broke. As for Bergeron, Woywitka, and Lynch, I think we can deal Ferguson away and use one of them as the 7th defender and slowly ease them into the NHL.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Mizral

Why would Philidelphia want Salo? Even more than a passing interest? Esche has outplayed Salo by a longshot this year. Salo has never displayed the type of goaltending needed to win the cup in the playoffs - he's no better than another Jeff Hackett.

I suspect if Philly does trade for a goalie, it'll be Sean Burke. But I expect them to go with Esche as their starter. He's very good. Very underrated.

Old
01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Why would Philidelphia want Salo? Even more than a passing interest? Esche has outplayed Salo by a longshot this year. Salo has never displayed the type of goaltending needed to win the cup in the playoffs - he's no better than another Jeff Hackett.

I suspect if Philly does trade for a goalie, it'll be Sean Burke. But I expect them to go with Esche as their starter. He's very good. Very underrated.
And how many playoff series has Sean Burke ever won?

edit: I figured I would do the research for you.

He has won 2, both in the 1988 playoffs for the Devils. His playoff record is 12-22. 3-14 minus that one season.

As for Esche being very good and very underrated, the Philly fans aren't too happy with him, they just view him as being the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by dawgbone: 01-20-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old
01-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Mr Sakich

it sure wouldn' surprise me if clarke put the pads on himself and got in there. He is a very good gm with a blind eye for goaltending. Nobody can predict what he is going to do.

Old
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Slats432

Philly was a cup favourite before adding Comrie and Markov. Subtracting Justin Williams on that deep team isn't going to hurt too bad.

If Bobby Clarke adds a top flight goalie, they should be the odds on favourite. Hmm...don't want Burke...never won jack. Don't want Biron or Noronen...no experience. Definitely don't want Salo...he is only 10 games out of being ready to be run out of town.

What is there realistically?

Khabibulin would be my personal choice. He is the best of the available goalies out there.
If Detroit was going to move a goalie, I would look at one of them.

But then again...you have to look at Philly's assets. They are giving up assets to improve their team and without taking away from their present roster, I don't know what they would give up for that goalie.

Could it be possible that they are going to move Carter or Richards or even one of their blueliners when healthy to get that goalie?....time will tell.

Old
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
As for Esche being very good and very underrated, the Philly fans aren't too happy with him, they just view him as being the lesser of two evils.
Say narry a bad word about Salo if Dawgbone is around...

As far as Flyer fans and their opinion of Esche, you're wrong. I happen to live with one of the biggest Flyer fans around. He contends that they are very happy with Esche!!! He may not be as consistent as they hoped, but overall the Flyers are quite happy with Esche. The Flyers may still go out and get a veteran stopper, but that is more a reflection of Hackett's poor play than overall displeasure of Esche. This may differ from what you've heard, but I think if you go to any Flyer board and offer Salo for Esche you'd get flamed hard.

Just my two cents!

Old
01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
Say narry a bad word about Salo if Dawgbone is around...

As far as Flyer fans and their opinion of Esche, you're wrong. I happen to live with one of the biggest Flyer fans around. He contends that they are very happy with Esche!!! He may not be as consistent as they hoped, but overall the Flyers are quite happy with Esche. The Flyers may still go out and get a veteran stopper, but that is more a reflection of Hackett's poor play than overall displeasure of Esche. This may differ from what you've heard, but I think if you go to any Flyer board and offer Salo for Esche you'd get flamed hard.

Just my two cents!
That's awefully funny, because I was surrounded by about 17,000 flyers fans a little over a week ago, and the ones I was talking to in my section said neither goaltender was very good.

I brought up their stats, but the biggest complaint they had was that there wasn't really a game the Flyers won that they should have lost this year, but there were a few games they lost when they should have won.

I'm not saying offer Salo for Esche am I? And why would I? Esche is an awesome backup for now, and may eventually be a solid starter.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
That's awefully funny, because I was surrounded by about 17,000 flyers fans a little over a week ago, and the ones I was talking to in my section said neither goaltender was very good.

I brought up their stats, but the biggest complaint they had was that there wasn't really a game the Flyers won that they should have lost this year, but there were a few games they lost when they should have won.

I'm not saying offer Salo for Esche am I? And why would I? Esche is an awesome backup for now, and may eventually be a solid starter.
Thats fair. So at the end of the day two different sources are saying different things. When you were in Philly what were the fans saying about Comrie?

Old
01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Calnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
P.S if you think Salo at 4 million/year is bad. Imagine having Hackett at 3million/year.
I don't think that this helps us, Philly maybe. Conklin has proven that he can't handle the heavy workload, Hackett says that he can't be a number one, so we have a platoon of decent goaltenders. That still SCARES me. I wasn't that old, but I still remember the days of Shtlenkov and Essensa, so I want a dependable 60 game goalie or Salo.

Closed Thread