HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is Another Oilers-Flyers deal possible?

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
The problem is that if New Jersey catches the Flyers, then Philly is playing Toronto or Ott in the first round. Is Clarke really satisfied with Esche vs Belfor? Finishing 2nd in your division means that you will have to beat each of New Jersey, Ott and Toronto to get to the finals and then beat the oilers to win the cup.

Not an easy stretch with an OK goalie.

Old
01-20-2004, 05:49 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
P.S if you think Salo at 4 million/year is bad. Imagine having Hackett at 3million/year.
Yeah I didn't realize that he was under contract for 3 more years when I was typing my idea. For some reason I was thinking Hackett was only under contract for this season. Hackett for 3 yrs would tank the deal for me too.

As for the question of why the Flyers would want Salo.

When looking at the deal, I saw a way that the Oilers could offer a solution (or percieved solution) to both of the Flyer needs as well as addressing an Oiler need both temporary (in goaltending) and long term (at center).

Do I think Salo will win the Flyers the cup? I can't see it.
I also can't see anyone in the Eastern conference doing Philly an favours by thrading their goalie to Philly in order for them to win the cup.

I can't see Clark going out to get Burke considering he had him already and was run outta town.

Detroit isn't trading any of their guys.

Who else is out there?

Clark is most likely going to go get a guy and Clark is also most likely going to undervalue the importance of the position for the playoffs. He has been doing it for his entire tenure as a GM.

So it made sense to me that if he is looking for that position then the Oilers would probably be a good fit.

Swapping Salo for Hackett is a lateral move at best for the Flyers BUT that still looks better than running with a guy that has ALREADY frustrated the management and fans and has come out and said that he can't carry the load.

The way I look at Philly right now is that they have traded a good prospect in Woywitka and they have traded a young player in Williams during a year where we will probably either load up for a cup run (perhaps at the expense of youth) or auction off all their talent in anticipation of the CBA.

Looks to me like Philly is loading up and considering some of the kids they have I would think this could be a good time to go after some of them.

Old
01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
Thats fair. So at the end of the day two different sources are saying different things. When you were in Philly what were the fans saying about Comrie?

Dawg...you may have said this in another thread so excuse me, but was there any word on the Comrie situation when you were in the brotherly love?

Old
01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwass11
Thats fair. So at the end of the day two different sources are saying different things. When you were in Philly what were the fans saying about Comrie?
I was in Philly for the Oilers-Flyers game.

They weren't saying much, just asking questions about him, like what to expect, yadda yadda.

They were fairly happy at the time, mind you he had like 6 points in 8 games or so. Most of the guys I was talking to were fairly excited, but most didn't know much about Wyowitca.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I was in Philly for the Oilers-Flyers game.

They weren't saying much, just asking questions about him, like what to expect, yadda yadda.

They were fairly happy at the time, mind you he had like 6 points in 8 games or so. Most of the guys I was talking to were fairly excited, but most didn't know much about Wyowitca.

Cool.....thanks...and sorry for changing the course of this thread...GO OIL!

Old
01-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And how many playoff series has Sean Burke ever won?

edit: I figured I would do the research for you.

He has won 2, both in the 1988 playoffs for the Devils. His playoff record is 12-22. 3-14 minus that one season.

As for Esche being very good and very underrated, the Philly fans aren't too happy with him, they just view him as being the lesser of two evils.
There were teams enquiring about Burke last season but the 'Yotes were asking for two 1st rounders +...

I don't remember the exact details but it was a king's ransom.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Oi'll say!

How the heck can Hackett cash those monstrous freaking paycheques and then come out and say "I'm not a starter"?

Aside from Cujo ( ) is there another backup goalie in the league making that much as a backup?

Old
01-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Hemsky01

How many of you would do?

Smyth
Philly 1st

Gagne
Carter

I would. Would Philly?

Old
01-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Mr Sakich

would you do smith and smyth for gagne and carter?

Old
01-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
How many of you would do?

Smyth
Philly 1st

Gagne
Carter

I would. Would Philly?
Assuming Smyth = Gagne, you'd be saying Carter = 28th pick overall.

Smyth's value would have to be way higher than Gagne's for this to be a realistic offer and I don't think that's the case.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
With the Flyers actively looking for a "stop gap" defenseman could there be another deal with the Oilers in the works? Ferguson could be that type of D-man they're looking for. Ferguson for a 3rd round pick? Throw in Laraque and you get a prospect + the pick maybe???
I was just trying to light a fire under BG and Fergie...guess it worked

now that's the Laraque I remember!

in the words of Messier, "there's nothing to save it for boys".

Old
01-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Hemsky01

I think Smyth >> Gagne and Carter >> 1st round pick. Gagne has really leveled off this year and I think he need a change of scenery. I might change the Philly first to the Edmonton first.

Old
01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
barto

Just noticed an article in today's Journal by Jim Matheson (talking about the Markov/Williams deal & the 'big picture' of NHL trades), and he does quote Lowe as saying "We tried for Williams - couldn't get him." I don't have an on-line link for that, but that's what was in the hard-copy paper today, just for information.

Bart

Closed Thread