HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Walker...

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Scott Walker...

On the radio tonight, he was asked about the negotiations for his new contract, and said that the hold up was not the money, but the length. He wants three years, the Preds are offering two.

However, what troubled me was that he mentioned a "deadline" in February, that if he wasn't signed by that point, he "probably won't be a Predator next year." Letting him slip away would be unprecedented, and I sincerely hope that something gets done by now. Barry Trotz says that Kimmo Timonen is the most unreplaceable player on the team, but in my opinion, that honor goes to Walker.

Old
01-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It must be decent money, otherwise I don't think length would be the problem. I really hope he is signed because he is the heart and soul of this team. He plays with intensity every game, and even though he isn't loaded with skill, he still produces. Every team wants a guy like Scottie. It would be a shame if we lost him

Old
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I cant think of a single good reason not to give him the 3rd year.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
My thinking is the concussion problems is why the Preds are asking for two years.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:33 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
My thinking is the concussion problems is why the Preds are asking for two years.
I just don't see the problem. He is a risk player to begin with. He's career could end in his next game. I would gladly gamble a couple of mil for what he brings to the table.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I just don't see the problem. He is a risk player to begin with. He's career could end in his next game. I would gladly gamble a couple of mil for what he brings to the table.
You mean you would gladly gamble a mil of Leipold's money

Old
01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
You mean you would gladly gamble a mil of Leipold's money
But of course. I was speaking as if I was in Predator colored shoes. But I've spent a few thousand on the Preds to date, so it's getting up there.

Old
01-20-2004, 10:59 PM
belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
I recall reading or hearing late last year that the organization was having problems with securing insurance for a Walker multi-year deal.

Could be a bunch of smoke.

If they agree on the money, it would make sense that the problem is something tedious.

Old
01-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Tough to get insurance on players who have well known injury problems. I wish that Scottie would want to stay no matter how long the offer is for, but I fully believe that we have SOMEONE in our system that can take his place.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Olaf

I heard the radio show as well and it is a bit concerning that he has a "deadline" only a couple weeks away. And at this point in a playoff race it is difficult to trade away a leader like Walks. I really wonder if things might of been different if he had been given the C.

I also thought it was funny how he slammed the score keeper at the GEC. In light of not getting an assist on the Orszagh goal the other night, he said there are a bunch of bad scoring decisions and at home it seems like you should get the benefit. That the Nashville guy is the worst in the league, and that the Preds get bad calls by the refs as a whole compared to other teams. Crap like this makes it easier for him to see leaving I am sure.

He did praise the fans that show up saying they are the loudest in the league, just that others need to come support.

Old
01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Jarnberg

I don't see how you could trade Walker with what he brings to the team. He is also a fan favorite. Trading away one of your most important players while trying to reach the playoffs for the first time, yeah that makes sense.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:01 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I understand how important Walker is to the team. I really like and admire the play and work ethic he brings to the table.
That being said, when players have been too stubborn in negotiations with Poile, they have often ended up getting moved or not getting a contract. If Scotty gets too picky with his salary so high, management might be forced to move him or let him walk, painful as that may be.

Realize the pie is very small in this market right now. Unless we get more people coming to games...

Old
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
I understand how important Walker is to the team. I really like and admire the play and work ethic he brings to the table.
That being said, when players have been too stubborn in negotiations with Poile, they have often ended up getting moved or not getting a contract. If Scotty gets too picky with his salary so high, management might be forced to move him or let him walk, painful as that may be.

Realize the pie is very small in this market right now. Unless we get more people coming to games...
It's the old chicken and egg thing, though. He is a fan fav and vital cog. Say they let Walker go over whether this question of one year or two. What's that say to the fans? It'll raise the questions again about ownership's commitment. And we get more empty seats and an even SMALLER pie! He's not being unreasonable. His salary's not high, just on the higher end for us.

There has to be some veterans on this team!

Old
01-21-2004, 10:35 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
It's the old chicken and egg thing, though. He is a fan fav and vital cog. Say they let Walker go over whether this question of one year or two. What's that say to the fans? It'll raise the questions again about ownership's commitment. And we get more empty seats and an even SMALLER pie! He's not being unreasonable. His salary's not high, just on the higher end for us.

There has to be some veterans on this team!
I agree. I think that we should definately resign Walker as we seem to be a different team when he is in the lineup. That being said, IF we can't get him resigned, would you prefer to keep him through the playoffs, or trade him at the deadline. He does turn 31 this summer, so would we lose him as an UFA? Personally, I would keep him through through the end of the season. If we traded him at the deadline and tanked, it would be hard for this team to regain fan support. Damn, it's hard enough to get butts in the seats when they are winning.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
I agree. I think that we should definately resign Walker as we seem to be a different team when he is in the lineup. That being said, IF we can't get him resigned, would you prefer to keep him through the playoffs, or trade him at the deadline. He does turn 31 this summer, so would we lose him as an UFA? Personally, I would keep him through through the end of the season. If we traded him at the deadline and tanked, it would be hard for this team to regain fan support. Damn, it's hard enough to get butts in the seats when they are winning.

Under the current CBA he would not be a UFA until after next season, regardless of if their is a lockout or not. However Walks mentioned last night that if there are
some changes in CBA that moving UFA status up may be one of them so he would likely be a UFA before the next season either way.

Old
01-21-2004, 01:06 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think the question is 2 yrs vs. 3.
And don't get me wrong-- I don't want him out of here-- I am just being realistic...

Old
01-21-2004, 03:49 PM
FD

No player is bigger then the team. Players will come and go, and if Walker moves on, then you can rest assured someone will step up. Orzagh, for example, seems to be displaying some of what made Walker a fan favorite. It took Scotty some time to become what he is, and I see Vladimir on the same development path.
There is also that monster RW named Segal making some noise in Milwaukee.
I'm also confident that Poile would leverage Walker into good organizational depth if it came to it.
That being said, PLEASE SIGN THE GUY AND STICK A "C" ON HIM!!!!!

Closed Thread