HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If Hossa wasnt Hossa...

Old
12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Hossa has the skill to be a top line player. Whether it's confidence--whether it's gumption to go to the net more--he's had plenty of chances to become a top line player but has failed. A couple of spurts now and again doesn't cut it. 3rd line-4th line is where he belongs--using him as a pk'er and in the shootouts. The contract he has is in line with that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post

He Hustles
He Kills Penalties
He hits sometimes
He just cant score...

We have like 4 of those guys.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Fletch

Nos...

I think he did read what he wrote, which read: "with time the scoring will come"...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Sounds a lot like Hollweg to me (although Hollweg hits more and PKs less) and he has enough detractors, so I'll say no the last name doesn't give him more grief but it means people will always hold out hope that he'll break and become a consistent scorer
Hossa can at least move the puck around and hold onto it in the offensive zone. Hollweg gets rid of the puck the second it touches his stick, and if he doesn't, he loses it.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I see a player with very good size and very good skills that can't play offensively on a consistent basis and who doesn't have the drive and determination to get his nose dirty and rack up the points. On defense, he's good, not great, but he can be inconsistent in that category too. The reason why he's so much maligned in this forum is that Renney plays him as if he's his brother. He stuck with him more than many others even when he was stinking up the joint. The issue is not because of his last name.
I agree with the offensive, but I think he's been just as consistent on his defensive play this season as Betts has.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hossa has the skill to be a top line player. Whether it's confidence--whether it's gumption to go to the net more--he's had plenty of chances to become a top line player but has failed. A couple of spurts now and again doesn't cut it. 3rd line-4th line is where he belongs--using him as a pk'er and in the shootouts. The contract he has is in line with that.
I think that statement is dead on and what is most frustrating about Hossa. Hossa has an amazing skillset. He has size, great hands, great puck possession ability and an above average shot when he actually shoots. The one thing he lacks is the killer instinct. Unfortunately you can't teach that. Either a player has it or he doesn't. If I could take Ryan Callahans intensity and put it into Marcel Hossas body I would have a dominating top line winger. I keep expecting more from Hossa and I keep getting dissapointed. It might be time to just accept that he is a very solid 3rd line forward and nothing more.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Yes. It's true, if he wasn't related to Marian the hype about his offensive ability wouldn't be nearly as much and he'd considered great at what he is, good defensive minded 20 point man.

I still consider him great at what he is, but wish he'd net one a lot more.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If Marcel had a different last name, would he still get as much bs from the fans as he does??

He Hustles
He Kills Penalties
He hits sometimes
He just cant score...

Any other player would be a nice gritty player. Yet because Marcel doesnt score like Marian he gets a tremendous amount of crap from the fans. I find that mind boggling.
I think a lot of what you say is true. And there might be something about looking at his last name but nobody put the same standard on Fedor Federov.

What I think people kill him for the fact that he is arguably the most talented player on the team not named Jagr. We have seen him play well. The goal he scored against the Thrashers was a terrific goal that came when he worked hard and used his talent. He just doesn't do it enough.

"He Hustles
He Kills Penalties
He hits sometimes
He just cant score..."

Is fine when you're talking about Blair Betts or Ryan Hollweg. They are getting the most out of what they have. And they are better than their talent level says they should be. The same is just not true with Hossa.

12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
If Marcel had a different last name, would he still get as much bs from the fans as he does??

He Hustles -We have some players that do that (most of the time)
He Kills Penalties- We have enough players that do that (very well,I might add)
He hits sometimes- We have enough players that do that
He just cant score - Welcome to the 2007-2008 New York Rangers

Any other player would be a nice gritty player. Yet because Marcel doesnt score like Marian he gets a tremendous amount of crap from the fans. I find that mind boggling.
I don't have too much of an issue with Marcel. Its JJ and PP that concern me the most.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
In The Flesh

Hossa should be the first one off the squad imo, he doesn't hustle all the time, theres plenty of games were he dogs it, all he does is kills penelties, I'd rather have Orts back if thats all Hossa's good for, oh and SO's but Orts was decent in them too he hit sometimes and he scored rarely just like Hossa. who has more talent, obviously Hossa by miles, but he doesn't show it enough. and he played on the 1st line for sooooooo long. Way to inconsistant.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think a lot of what you say is true. And there might be something about looking at his last name but nobody put the same standard on Fedor Federov.

What I think people kill him for the fact that he is arguably the most talented player on the team not named Jagr. We have seen him play well. The goal he scored against the Thrashers was a terrific goal that came when he worked hard and used his talent. He just doesn't do it enough.

"He Hustles
He Kills Penalties
He hits sometimes
He just cant score..."

Is fine when you're talking about Blair Betts or Ryan Hollweg. They are getting the most out of what they have. And they are better than their talent level says they should be. The same is just not true with Hossa.
Well said. That is really the core issue with Hossa. It is even more apparent because there are several players on this team who don't have half the god given skill Hossa has. Yet they get the most out of what they do have with hard work and a general disregard for their own well being. (Cally, Prucha, Orr, Hollweg, Betts, Avery, Strudwick) You can make an argument that Hossa doesn't have to give that level of effort to be an effective player, and you'd be right, but that is the difference between a 1st and 3rd line player.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 12-12-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
NosLliWhsoj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Hossa should be the first one off the squad imo, he doesn't hustle all the time, theres plenty of games were he dogs it, all he does is kills penelties, I'd rather have Orts back if thats all Hossa's good for, oh and SO's but Orts was decent in them too he hit sometimes and he scored rarely just like Hossa. who has more talent, obviously Hossa by miles, but he doesn't show it enough. and he played on the 1st line for sooooooo long. Way to inconsistant.
hossa played on the first line for 12 games last year and 14 this year. now im not saying he should be on there but thats far from "ssooooooo long". also, did ortmeyer ever take a SO turn? i think when the rangers went to their 15th rounder with washington that he was the only forward NOT to shoot. and if he did shoot, he didnt score.

NosLliWhsoj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
hossa played on the first line for 12 games last year and 14 this year. now im not saying he should be on there but thats far from "ssooooooo long". also, did ortmeyer ever take a SO turn? i think when the rangers went to their 15th rounder with washington that he was the only forward NOT to shoot. and if he did shoot, he didnt score.
It's long enough where he should have more than 6 points. And when they did take him off the first line, they put him with Gomez and Shanny.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
He did shoot in the Wash. shootout. He actually made a pretty nice move and had Kolzig beat but couldn't put it away. Kolzig actually made a wiping his brow motion towards Jed after the shot because he realized he had him beat. I also vaguely remember him taking a penalty shot during a game last year that he scored on.

Old
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
NosLliWhsoj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
He did shoot in the Wash. shootout. He actually made a pretty nice move and had Kolzig beat but couldn't put it away. Kolzig actually made a wiping his brow motion towards Jed after the shot because he realized he had him beat. I also vaguely remember him taking a penalty shot during a game last year that he scored on.
he did shoot in the shootout, and did take a penalty shot
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2793234

NosLliWhsoj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
he did shoot in the shootout, and did take a penalty shot
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2793234
yea, not a SO thats why I put the sarcastic face there

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fs80SD28kmk

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's long enough where he should have more than 6 points. And when they did take him off the first line, they put him with Gomez and Shanny.
yea...but to be honest, when hossa was on the line, jagr wasn't doing much of anything and dubinsky was still learning to play in the nhl.....and i think the second line looks very good this year with him on the wing.....its just the points arent coming....and people who think he doesnt put forth effort, just watch the games.....he hits in the corners, he is one of the best forecheckers, he is one of the best defensive forwards on the team.....i wonder if marian always had the puck when they were kids and if marcel always was trying to get it away from him.....lol

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote