HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Fedorov. Poll Included!

View Poll Results: What has been the reason for Fedorov's improved play?
Finally fully healthy 15 14.42%
Better team around him 9 8.65%
Wants to prove he's not done yet 19 18.27%
Wants to get back in the playoffs 8 7.69%
All of the above 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
After the media pack filtered away from his locker, Fedorov said, "(Speculation) can be flattering on the outside, but it doesn't feel so good on the inside. I've been here for three years, I've fit in the city of Columbus, I've fit on the team, and I want to do my job. I love playing with the young guys, shoulder to shoulder."
http://dispatch.com/live/content/blu...N.html?sid=101

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

He said the right thing... Whoop da-freaking-do...

So in the first 38 games did he live up to his words? You decide, you know my opinion.
I think this is where the misconnect happens with Sergei Fedorov. It all depends on what your expectations are of him. If you were looking at his salary and expected him to be a 80 point player than of course you would be disappointed. In reality he never was going to be that type of player and to have those expectations would ensure failure. So you get what you wish for.

Him and Mike Peca are in a similar position in both health and stats. They have both missed a similar number of games and have the same range of points. If healthy they were both on pace for 50ish point seasons, 3rd/4th in team scoring. At the time Fedorov got hurt he was playing well.

If my kid tells me she is trying hard and doing the best she can in school and she brings home a "C" am I disappointed? Sure. But it doesn't mean I think that she's a failure, lying to me or not living up to her words.

His play with the CBJ may not be enough for those that think Fedorov should have been the savior of the CBJ franchise. But those expectations were unjustified. He was one of many players that haven't got the team to the promised land. He owns but one part for the teams lack of success. An equal part to that of say......Nikki Zherdev or Rick Nash.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I think this is where the misconnect happens with Sergei Fedorov. It all depends on what your expectations are of him. If you were looking at his salary and expected him to be a 80 point player than of course you would be disappointed. In reality he never was going to be that type of player and to have those expectations would ensure failure. So you get what you wish for.

Him and Mike Peca are in a similar position in both health and stats. They have both missed a similar number of games and have the same range of points. If healthy they were both on pace for 50ish point seasons, 3rd/4th in team scoring. At the time Fedorov got hurt he was playing well.

If my kid tells me she is trying hard and doing the best she can in school and she brings home a "C" am I disappointed? Sure. But it doesn't mean I think that she's a failure, lying to me or not living up to her words.

His play with the CBJ may not be enough for those that think Fedorov should have been the savior of the CBJ franchise. But those expectations were unjustified. He was one of many players that haven't got the team to the promised land. He owns but one part for the teams lack of success. An equal part to that of say......Nikki Zherdev or Rick Nash.
I get your point and I agree for the most part.

However, I was expecting a serviceable 2nd line center, future HoF'er. I was expecting someone that could play good D, would prosper in Hitch's system (55-60 points and sound in his own end), be able to protect a lead, play hard most nights, and provide a stablizing influence.

I don't think I was asking too much of him. I will admit that I was expecting more from him because of his veteran status.

So are those expectations in-line with what others thought going into the year and did he live up to the sort of bulleted items I listed above?

Having said all that, I still think he's probably the best all around center we have atm. A lot better? I don't think so, others think he's light and day above. As I said before, Howson has the final say.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Byrral

Quote:
However, I was expecting a serviceable 2nd line center, future HoF'er. I was expecting someone that could play good D, would prosper in Hitch's system (55-60 points and sound in his own end), be able to protect a lead, play hard most nights, and provide a stablizing influence.
I think that is what you were getting except in the 40-50 point range.

Old
02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I think that is what you were getting except in the 40-50 point range.
yeah, and that's where I differ in opinion with you and some of the others on these forums. I think we were getting more of that after game 38 or so. Before that? I don't think so.

Old
02-17-2008, 11:57 AM
beba91

Fedorov back in the lineup

Quote:
Fedorov seemed genuinely excited this morning about his return and to be part of a playoff race. "It's a lot different now in January and February than it was the last couple of years."

He was one of only two players to skate this morning. Jared Boll (bronchitis) was the other. Fedorov is expected to center a line with Rick Nash and Fredrik Modin.
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/02...e_lineup.shtml

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beba91 View Post
Fedorov back in the lineup
Quote:
Sergei Fedorov returns to the lineup exactly one month after suffering a concussion that reduced him to a $6 million spectator.

This is bush league. How come every time something is written about Fedorov you have to bring up his salary. Like he is the first one in the history of sports that has a salary that exceeds his production. Anything to add fuel to the fire.

Edit: I am not a Sergei Fedorov apologist. I'm just sick of the same ole, same ole BS.

Old
02-17-2008, 01:47 PM
BGSU91

Quote:
This is bush league. How come every time something is written about Fedorov you have to bring up his salary. Like he is the first one in the history of sports that has a salary that exceeds his production. Anything to add fuel to the fire.

Edit: I am not a Sergei Fedorov apologist. I'm just sick of the same ole, same ole BS.
I just posted a similar comment on the Dispatch blog. It's no wonder so many people are hung up on his salary. I'm just excited to have him back in the line-up!

Edit: I noticed that the Dispatch removed the reference to Feds salary on the blog. Interesting!?

Last edited by BGSU91: 02-17-2008 at 03:22 PM.
BGSU91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Seriously. It's almost like, "how dare high priced players get concussions!"

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
Seriously. It's almost like, "how dare high priced players get concussions!"
If you bring up the blog now, that part has been removed.

Interesting

Old
02-17-2008, 07:23 PM
blahblah

So when is Feds coming back? I'm tired of getting our butts whipped, like tonight against the Blues. We need his composure, he's so calming to the team....

Old
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Byrral

Quote:
So when is Feds coming back? I'm tired of getting our butts whipped, like tonight against the Blues. We need his composure, he's so calming to the team....
Yeah, tonight was all Fedorov's fault. C'mon blahblah, you're a better poster than this junk.

Old
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not saying any of what happened tonight is Feds's fault, but look at it from this perspective, he's a UFA at the end of the season, he's 37 years old (I think), He isn't going to be resigned by this team, he still has good value... Why would Howson wait? move Feds now.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Renion

Quote:
Yeah, tonight was all Fedorov's fault. C'mon blahblah, you're a better poster than this junk.
It's a sickness seemingly the whole board suffers from. If we had won tonight, you can bet your ass someone would have posted, "See, we missed Fedorov, OMG!"

It happens whenever any player is criticized or praised. One game, in the minds of many hockey fans here, is a lifetime.

Usually, I'd just roll my eyes at blahblah's sarcasm, but to be honest, I think some of you earned it in this case: the team was sucking, Fedorov was absent, and he suddenly became a godly hockey player that the team was dying without (joining the ranks of Shelley). He's been good most of this season, but not pedestal worthy.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
It's a sickness seemingly the whole board suffers from. If we had won tonight, you can bet your ass someone would have posted, "See, we missed Fedorov, OMG!"

It happens whenever any player is criticized or praised. One game, in the minds of many hockey fans here, is a lifetime.

Usually, I'd just roll my eyes at blahblah's sarcasm, but to be honest, I think some of you earned it in this case: the team was sucking, Fedorov was absent, and he suddenly became a godly hockey player that the team was dying without (joining the ranks of Shelley). He's been good most of this season, but not pedestal worthy.
I just roll my eyes ...

and no Byrral, bb is not a better poster than that... we all expected some smarmy smack upon Fed's return. Predictable, entirely. No harm, no foul.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post

I don't disagree. I also wasn't in the original conversation to "earn" it. But regardless, whatever the case is, emotions after a disappointing loss can make one post comments that make them look like a 'dufus', even when/if they're not.

Old
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Never said it was his fault.

Just pointing out that are butt's getting whipped recently wouldn't have changed with Feds in the lineup, despite people indicating he was the missing ingredient....

He's just one player. We pretty much looked tonight like we did when he was out of the lineup after the all-star break. Even had Feds been there during that post all-star game losing streak, we still would have gotten our butts handed to us.

Actually I thought Feds was one of the better players out there tonight for the Jackets. Still didn't help much.

Old
02-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Never said it was his fault.

Just pointing out that are butt's getting whipped recently wouldn't have changed with Feds in the lineup, despite people indicating he was the missing ingredient....

He's just one player. We pretty much looked tonight like we did when he was out of the lineup after the all-star break. Even had Feds been there during that post all-star game losing streak, we still would have gotten our butts handed to us.

Actually I thought Feds was one of the better players out there tonight for the Jackets. Still didn't help much.
he was a bit slow, made one nice shot, dished out alot of nice passes that went unanswered, but made alot of mistakes. Still, if we had more line chemistry, there would have been more Nash or Modin goals...The line chemistry problem is just pissing me off...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote