HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

All Things Fedorov. Poll Included!

View Poll Results: What has been the reason for Fedorov's improved play?
Finally fully healthy 15 14.42%
Better team around him 9 8.65%
Wants to prove he's not done yet 19 18.27%
Wants to get back in the playoffs 8 7.69%
All of the above 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
he hasn't been on the 3rd line much....He's usually on the second line, and is constantly on the PK, and the PP....
What do you call Boll/Feds/GlenX?? Our second line? Could be--we have one top line and 3 3/4th lines--we are lacking a true #2 line with the injuries to Modin and Vybes.

He wasn't playing the pk until we got killed with injuries.

He has 4 pp goals all the while never missing a pp and our pp ranking is in the lower half of the league. I wouldn't be boasting about his pp time either.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
4.) Feds is the most intelligent forward on the club, Hitch has said it, Nash has said it, I'm said it to other users, glad your not on the management or coaching staff.
Being smart and playing 100% are two very different things. He doesnt give us his all every shift of every game and for the money he makes...that is sad. I could see if it were just his age and skills going bad...but to not give it your all...EVERY NIGHT is just unbelievable. You can tell very easily when Fedorov is giving 100 % and when he is not....and often..he is not. If I were management I wouldnt have make a panic move to get the scrub and set another team up for a Stanley Cup.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
And Nash has 18 goals--so I don't get your comparison.

Are you sure Beech doesn't have more points than him in 7 games that he has played???? A guy who couldn't play in the league last year is kicking his butt all the while playing vs. the other teams best players which Feds can't be trusted to do anymore.

Feds is supposed to be a top 6 guy but he is playing on a line with Boll and GlenX--two guys who have played less than 55 games combined in the NHL. He is a 6 million dollar center who plays vs. the other teams 3/4th line with two rookies. You tell me what role he has on this team.
It's phenomenal influence, these young guys need to be brought into the league, because players like him don't have much longer til retirement, but you keep thinking of reasons to dislike him, i'm sure you'll come up with something legit

Cyborg Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
What do you call Boll/Feds/GlenX?? Our second line? Could be--we have one top line and 3 3/4th lines--we are lacking a true #2 line with the injuries to Modin and Vybes.

He wasn't playing the pk until we got killed with injuries.

He has 4 pp goals all the while never missing a pp and our pp ranking is in the lower half of the league. I wouldn't be boasting about his pp time either.
Last night he was with peca mac. Fedorov is a fill in player, taking on the roll anywhere he's needed. he's that versatile. It was during these injuries, people took good notice to Feds, and with most of our roster back, he's still on the second like. Furthermore, he was with Vybes when he wasn't injured, and with modin. Again, keep trying.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
1.) Feds has only done two shootouts this year, he also tipped off Zherdev as to where to shoot on Osgood

2.) Nash isn't the most consistant player, he's not a two way forward, and we haven't seen the ebst out of him in a few games.

3.) Beech has had streaks like this before, he isn't very consistant

4.) Feds is the most intelligent forward on the club, Hitch has said it, Nash has said it, I'm said it to other users, glad your not on the management or coaching staff.
Nash plays vs. the other teams top forward lines as well as the top d pairing EVERY single night. Feds--does not. Nash is 24 years old and still developing his game from the redline back.

Beech very well may be inconsistant, but right now--in the 7 games he has played he has consistantly outplayed Feds.

No doubt Feds is a smart player, but that does not mean he is a good player every night nor should he be resigned because of it.

We will see what management and the coaching staff really feels about him come years end won't we.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
Being smart and playing 100% are two very different things. He doesnt give us his all every shift of every game and for the money he makes...that is sad. I could see if it were just his age and skills going bad...but to not give it your all...EVERY NIGHT is just unbelievable. You can tell very easily when Fedorov is giving 100 % and when he is not....and often..he is not. If I were management I wouldnt have make a panic move to get the scrub and set another team up for a Stanley Cup.
Well a 100% from Fedorov is gold, but he has been injury prone before, he is playing it a bit safe most nights, also he's out there alot, and it's better to conserve your energy, quarterbacking plays, as he has been. Come playoff time, if we make it, I think we'll see an even more stunning Fedorov. He's been one of the most crucial players on the line up, and I would resign him for under 4.5 mil without a doubt, for 2-3 years

Old
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
PubOFH

Feds shootout:

Nov 1st. MISS
Nov 18th MISS vs Wings...could have won the game. Choke on $6mill

He has not scored in the shootout this year. Why isnt the supposed most consistnat player/superstar on this team even in some of the shootouts????

Old
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Well a 100% from Fedorov is gold, but he has been injury prone before, he is playing it a bit safe most nights, also he's out there alot, and it's better to conserve your energy, quarterbacking plays, as he has been. Come playoff time, if we make it, I think we'll see an even more stunning Fedorov. He's been one of the most crucial players on the line up, and I would resign him for under 4.5 mil without a doubt, for 2-3 years
Would be nice to get something out of our investment.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Nash plays vs. the other teams top forward lines as well as the top d pairing EVERY single night. Feds--does not. Nash is 24 years old and still developing his game from the redline back.

Beech very well may be inconsistant, but right now--in the 7 games he has played he has consistantly outplayed Feds.

No doubt Feds is a smart player, but that does not mean he is a good player every night nor should he be resigned because of it.

We will see what management and the coaching staff really feels about him come years end won't we.

Well i believe nash is the best player in the club right now, he's young, and once Foote's gone, that C is rightfully his.

I disagree with the beech outplaying Feds. Someone just recently said that peca looked great in between Nash and Z, Beech has the same deal here. Their similar players as well in playing style, peca and beech that is. Feds has been the ebtter player overall lately. beech has been a crucial component in our offense, but Feds has not only been good up front, but great on defense, and the penalty kill. How many shots has Glenncross missed from Feds? If Feds shot the puck, as much as he should, he'd have at least 4 more goals.

Feds was bad 3 nights ago, but this year he's ben good 26/31 games, I'd say. i know the coaching staff loves Feds, and the locker room looks up to him, but notice I said nothing on howsen...

Old
12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Feds shootout:

Nov 1st. MISS
Nov 18th MISS vs Wings...could have won the game. Choke on $6mill

He has not scored in the shootout this year. Why isnt the supposed most consistnat player/superstar on this team even in some of the shootouts????

Not many players are as good in shootouts. Nash has only scored once or twice, you can't expect older guys to be very great in shootouts, for I mean come on, they've been playing in the league how many years, without shootouts. Some players are only best known for their shootout abilities. Jussi Jolkien is a great example.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
PubOFH

Great quote from the Light the Lamp writer:
Quote:
Sergei Fedorov. I've noticed some people think this guy is playing well -- I have yet to see it. Maybe their expectations have lowered but last I checked this guy is getting paid to score and create -- I haven't seen any scoring or any creating. Who cares how good he is on the PK? Last I checked this guy has been beat out this year for the #1 center position by a guy who was not even in the NHL at the beginning of the year (Beech). Fedorov is on cruise control - end of story. I can't wait until he cruises right out of a CBJ uni.
http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

This guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

4 mill a year for 2-3 more years??? Are you DUMB MACLEAN in hiding???

Old
12-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Great quote from the Light the Lamp writer:

http://lightthelamp.blogspot.com/

This guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

4 mill a year for 2-3 more years??? Are you DUMB MACLEAN in hiding???
Anyone who doesn't notice Feds play, has not watched any Detroit games with Steve Yzerman from 2-3 years ago. 'Nuff Said. :|

Feds isn't worth 6 mil, and I'd prefer if he signed for 2 mil, but he IS worth 4 mil, with his current consistancy and playing ability.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
PubOFH

Fedorov tied for the team leade with a MINUS 5. Why? Is he playing against the other teams top lines?? Nope. Why? Because he is freaking lazy and mails it in every night.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't notice Feds play, has not watched any Detroit games with Steve Yzerman from 2-3 years ago. 'Nuff Said. :|

Feds isn't worth 6 mil, and I'd prefer if he signed for 2 mil, but he IS worth 4 mil, with his current consistancy and playing ability.
HUH?????

Old
12-13-2007, 10:30 AM
wildone26*

Except for the occasional good game I dont find his play impressive at all.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Fedorov tied for the team leade with a MINUS 5. Why? Is he playing against the other teams top lines?? Nope. Why? Because he is freaking lazy and mails it in every night.

just for the record, gretsky had a terrible +/- Record

With the playoff age upon us, Feds is the most important player on the lineup, i honestly believe we won't excel without him come playoff time, though his salry needs to be reduced, for room of more players, his intelligence and playing ability is reminicent of Igor Larionov

Old
12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
HUH?????
Feds is playing exactly like a player his age should be playing. A 2 way game. Yzerman wasn't exactly the most stunning player when he got older, but his contributions in the defensive zone were very important. You guys are expecting 1997 Feds here, but it's 10 years later. The only reason I can see any distaste for Feds, is his large salary

Old
12-13-2007, 10:34 AM
beba91

Quote:

Um last night the Hejduk line was out there when Feds's line scored..

Beech is playing with Nash and Z ..Feds is playing with two rookies..

Yes there are 1 or 2 shifts a night that he just skates around but EVERY player does that at one point during the game.

As long as Hitch is happy with him than everything is all good

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Nordique

Quote:

At home, Hitch does not use Nash-Peca-Z as our shut down line, rather he'll use Feds or Malholtra's line for that work.

Last night we scored on the Smyth-Stastny-Hejduk line(Colorado's top line) 3 times in the 3rd period. Nash wasn't on the ice for any of those goals. Hitch used Malholtra primarily against Stastny.

On the road its out of our hands typically, but I usually see other teams put their shutdown line out vs Nash, not their top line. You don't see Nash vs the Sedins very often, rather you saw Kesler's line hounding Nash and Z all night when we visited Vancouver last time.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I like his smarts and I like his skating, but the though of having him for 2 more years--or even letting him walk at the end of this year for nothing makes me shudder.
Pretty much share this thinking, but I'm cool with letting him walk for nothing if it looks like the Jackets will make the playoffs. If in fact he does have another gear, I'd like to see if he could bring it there, plus I think he fills a role that would leave a hole in the lineup if he were removed from it, a hole that wouldn't be replaced until the offseason.

So, the DSL approach to Feds - Let him play out his contract and say thanks for everything, see ya later, at season's end.

Old
12-13-2007, 11:44 AM
errey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
hey guys Ducks fan here. I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I decided to post it here. How has Feds done since being traded here? Personally I thought he would excel at Columbus? He was even moved to defense right? Weren't the Jackets even looking for a 1st line center? Federov is not a 1st line center?

Thanks guys
cya
In Columbus Fedorov seems to be a lightening rod for the fans. I think much of that is how he arrived here and the point in his career when we got him. The impression I got (I believe backed up subsquent articles in the local papers) was that our ExGM felt the season slipping away a few years back and wanted to do something, anything to show the fans he was doing something, anything to avoid 15th place in the conference again.

So he traded for Fedorov. It was Fedorov. I didnt even follow hockey prior to the Jackets, but I knew the name Fedorov. The player who "escaped" russia to play in the NHL. A key player on all of those great Detriot Stanley Cup teams. The Selke Award winning, All Star, future Hall of Famer. The guy who dated Anna As a sportsfan, not a hockey fan, Fedorov was one of those larger than the sport guys for me while growing up.

I think that is part the problem is his aura and how he was sold to us (everything was oversold to us by aformetioned ExGM). At age 36, we didnt get the guy described above. And two things made that worse for us. He's making six million a year which hurts a small market budget and at the time we thought we got one over on Anaheim by sending you a minor league defenseman (Francios) and a contract that should have been untradeable (Marchant). When the defenseman ended up being top pair on a Cup winning team, it was a kick in the balls to say the least.

What we did get in Fedorov though, and what I think he still is is a very smart, defensively responsible, still talented (20/30 points a year), hockey player that you can trust to play almost any position on the ice and in any situation during a game. And at the time we needed that and we still do.

The 38 yr old Fedorov is a first or second line center on our team by omission. On most NHL teams he's probably a servicable second line center but more than likely a very good for the playoffs 3rd line center.

But he's still valuable to us probably more so than other teams because right now we need solid veterans to play in all situations while all the guys that we have drafted learn how to play in this league.

If we are out of the hunt at the trade deadline, Fedorov will be moved and based on some of last years returns, I think we will do very well. If we are still in the hunt, we will have to bite the bullet and get no return at the end of the year because we will need him. Either way, I cant imagine this isnt his last season with the Jackets.

Sorry for the length, but you are going to get alot of love em or hate em responses and much of it has nothing to do with his performance on the ice from night to night

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
BauerHockey87

even I'm impressed with how Feds has been working in C-bus this year. I think now that Mcclean is out, (the guy who brought him to instruct and wouldn't in the end) Feds is now being able to care, play, and skate hard for the team. I wouldn't resign him for a long contract but if we could he would have to take a major salary cut....in which he would prolly rather be traded and make millions with someone else. Because in the end he is a greedy Russian.

BauerHockey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Well a 100% from Fedorov is gold, but he has been injury prone before, he is playing it a bit safe most nights, also he's out there alot, and it's better to conserve your energy, quarterbacking plays, as he has been.
Now we're just making excuses.

If what your saying is true, why on earth would anyone on earth want to re-sign him? I know I would want a guy playing who's not trying to get injured and saving his energy for the playoffs we might not make unless he's giving it all every night.

I'm at a loss for this rational. We have a guy that you said should play at 75% (and you seem to think is) and you want to re-sign him?

Last edited by blahblah: 12-13-2007 at 11:57 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I didn't see an option for "he's in a contract year"

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Nordique

Contract aside, I would take him over most Western Conference 2nd line centers. And if we can get him signed for 3 more at 2nd line money(2-4 mill a year) then I hope Scott does so. His current contract is obviously a thorn in our side, but lets not discount his potential future with the team because Brian Burke and company gave him crazy cash to leave Detroit and Maclean bailed them out.

When I say 2nd line centers, I know that term is fuzzy based on the 4 line systems most team run, but here are some of what I consider 2nd line centers around the West:

Hudler
Lang
Fiddler
Weight
Stastny(yeah he stands out but very few teams have a Sakic/Stastny 1-2 punch at center)
Bouchard
McDonald

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote