HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

All Things Fedorov. Poll Included!

View Poll Results: What has been the reason for Fedorov's improved play?
Finally fully healthy 15 14.42%
Better team around him 9 8.65%
Wants to prove he's not done yet 19 18.27%
Wants to get back in the playoffs 8 7.69%
All of the above 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Contract aside, I would take him over most Western Conference 2nd line centers. And if we can get him signed for 3 more at 2nd line money(2-4 mill a year) then I hope Scott does so. His current contract is obviously a thorn in our side, but lets not discount his potential future with the team because Brian Burke and company gave him crazy cash to leave Detroit and Maclean bailed them out.

When I say 2nd line centers, I know that term is fuzzy based on the 4 line systems most team run, but here are some of what I consider 2nd line centers around the West:

Hudler
Lang
Fiddler
Weight
Stastny(yeah he stands out but very few teams have a Sakic/Stastny 1-2 punch at center)
Bouchard
McDonald
Interesting post Nor. Don't fully agree with your list, don't fully disagree either.

I would just hope, however, you are wanting to keep Feds for the right reason and not just settling because you feel there's nothing better out there.

The question you have to ask, and I'm going to say I probably already know you answer. Do you feel that Feds has truely bought into Hitch's system and that he's fighting for the team night in and night out?

If you think he is, I know I'm not going to change your mind. I, however, don't feel that he has. I would rather have someone less skilled and fully on-board, then someone who is just doing just enough...

It's a culture thing...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Happy Birthday, Sergei!!!

Happy Birthday to my all-time favourite hockey player, Sergei Fedorov! He's 38 today!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Gomez22

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I would think that you could add Foote to that list. I don't think Nash has been doggin' it either. Right now, I just don't know if he has that much to give and has hit a bit of a wall. I don't see Hainsey dog it either, I just think he makes a lot of mistakes.

Actually other than Peca and Feds, I don't think I really see anyone dog it--make mistakes? Sure, plenty but there are few guys who dog it.
No... I can't add Foote to the list (although I'll be the first to admit that against Colorado last night, he had a stellar game) because (personally) I have thought he was dogging it a few games this year, and this list is for those who I feel haven't dogged it yet. Same for Nash.... whether it's the defense he's against or just himself not giving 100%, there's been a few games where Rick's been pretty much a non-factor.

Doesn't mean I don't respect them or that I don't think they should have highs and lows in the season, it just means that I think there are more players on this team that could be giving a bit more than they have been the last 10-15 games, and to be honest, I originally thought that FEWER players than I listed would NOT be dogging it......

Maybe I'm just beginning to truly accept that this really will be a 're-building' year (not that we've had anything to rebuild), but anyone who thinks that this team has played at the same level they played at in October within the last 2 weeks is off their rocker.

Gomez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Gomez22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
1.) Feds has only done two shootouts this year, he also tipped off Zherdev as to where to shoot on Osgood

2.) Nash isn't the most consistant player, he's not a two way forward, and we haven't seen the ebst out of him in a few games.

3.) Beech has had streaks like this before, he isn't very consistant

4.) Feds is the most intelligent forward on the club, Hitch has said it, Nash has said it, I'm said it to other users, glad your not on the management or coaching staff.

The #1 reason I wouldn't be upset at resigning him (for the right price)..... There's no better teacher than experience, and although I don't think Feds would like being a 4th line center/special teamer with 7-11 minutes per game, that's where I would see him if he were to stay with us; but what he could teach our youngsters could prove to be invaluable for a year or three.

Gomez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
falcor

i doubt sergei reads the boards.. and i'm a little nervous that the board may tear me apart.. but, oh to hell with it!

happy birthday fedOrov! hope you have many more.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Nordique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_RmZ9WgDE

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Here's to ya, Feds Happy B-day!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:20 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Excellent post, errey.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Great post, errey. Pretty much sums up my views exactly.

Even if he's on the decline, I will always respect him as a player. At one point in his career, he was probably the best player in the world. Not many guys can claim that.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Here's to ya, Feds Happy B-day!
one of my favorites in the league, and my favorite blue jacket, here's to you Mr. Fedorov

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
Great post, errey. Pretty much sums up my views exactly.

Even if he's on the decline, I will always respect him as a player. At one point in his career, he was probably the best player in the world. Not many guys can claim that.
it's interesting how organizations were in the 90's. Alot of teams had 2 faces representing them. Pittsburg, Jagr and Mario. Aves, Foresburg and Sakic. Wings, Yzerman and Fedorov. Some of the best games were watching the aves and the wings in the playoffs, getting to watch Foresburg and Feds play, considering they were at the same caliber. Of course it was just as interesting to watch Stevie Y and Sackic play against one another, both being number 19.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

the big 5-0 !

er...wait

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:12 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Happy b-day Feddy.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Happy Birthday to one of my favourite player not only in Columbus but also in NHL

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
Great post errey. To piggyback,
Feds is third on our team in scoring and has 17 pts in 31 games and logs a lot of time in a lot of different places. Peca, who has mainly played with Z and Nash, has 14 in 23- almost identical per game points as Feds.

By comparision:
Beech 7pts/7games
Brule 4/29
Fritsche 8/30
Novotny 11/23

Some people can't judge Fedorov on talent- they judge him on his paycheck or what he once was. I guarantee that if Fedorov was making 1.5 million this year everybody would be thinking he was playing great.

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
It's phenomenal influence, these young guys need to be brought into the league, because players like him don't have much longer til retirement, but you keep thinking of reasons to dislike him, i'm sure you'll come up with something legit
You keep dreaming up reasons to keep him like: phenomenal influence and you will continue to justify rational for wanting to resign him.

Yes, he is a phenomenal influence which is why he is playing with two first year guys vs. the other teams 3rd and 4th line players. Just in case you forgot, this isn't a developmental league. He is playing with those guys because he can't compete on the top lines anymore and is in a slot where he hopefully can help us.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Mailrep

My wife and two of my kids have December birthdays, so I can't get you anything. Happy Birthday!!

Mailrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Last night he was with peca mac. Fedorov is a fill in player, taking on the roll anywhere he's needed. he's that versatile. It was during these injuries, people took good notice to Feds, and with most of our roster back, he's still on the second like. Furthermore, he was with Vybes when he wasn't injured, and with modin. Again, keep trying.
He was with Boll and GlenX--it may have been caught out there the odd time with Pecs, but those werent' his linemates. Peca played with Chimera and Novotny.

He was with those guys, but he was still unproductive as ever. His main production this year has been on the pp and that is 4 goals--for slap shots that beat the goalie. 2 even strength goals--one an empty net and a -5. It isn't enough to have versatility--this team can't afford to have too many guys not produce and just 'check'. If he was such a great checker, why is he a minus player?

No doubt that Fedorov is versatile he has skills and is a very good skater, he just doesn't show up every night--he can't he is 38! There is only one guy in that age group that is still putting up numbers and that is Sakic and his body is going too.

For a 38 year old player is pretty good, but you can't you win relying on those guys because their bodies fall apart. He can't go every night--he can't play 18 minutes a night but he has been forced to because of our lack of skill in that position. His hockey IQ is still great, but his legs can't do it. Did you see him give the puck away 4 times in one shift last night in the 2nd period? If we were a lot better team, and could afford to play him 12-15 minutes, but we can't--we need to fill those minutes. He isn't the go to guy that we need because it just isn't in him anymore. He was the best #2 center in the year for 10 years--he followed Yzerman and it was perfect.

You are letting your blind love cloud you from the reality that takes place on the ice. You can't even decipher who his linemates were so how can you assess his play? What the dispatch posted were not the lines last night.

Last edited by hashmarks: 12-13-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Nordique

How in the world do you guys know who are 2nd line is with all the shuffling we do? I sure don't. All i can do is watch PP lines and TOI.

As for Center TOI, last night.

Peca 17:33
Fedorov 16:24
Novotny 15:46
Beech 13:21
Malhotra 12:04(actually played alot of wing last night)

Our top 2 centers are Fedorov and Peca, and have been all season based on TOI. Beech is playing great, but its so early and he's played so few games that comparing him to the other centers is out of context imo. Beech is not a 1st or 2nd line center right now, you don't play a 1st/2nd line center 13 minutes. Yes he centered Nash/Zherdev alot last night, but welcome to world of line shuffling. He also centered Boll and Novotny at one point.

Hitch shuffles as much or more than GG did, the only difference is, there is usually a favorable result at the end of the craziness.

Did anyone see Manny shuffle a lead pass far out in front of his left wing last night? That would have been a great pass had that left wing been Chimera...but last night it was #45, not #25 and the pass floated harmlessly into the Colorado end and onto their Dman's stick. My wife even said, "why didn't Chimera get that puck?", before realizing it was Shelley. Thats the cost of line shuffling. Manny made an instinct play thinking he has one of the fastest LW's in the league, when in fact, he had maybe the slowest LW in the league on the ice with him.

Old
12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuuuuvie View Post

Some people can't judge Fedorov on talent- they judge him on his paycheck or what he once was. I guarantee that if Fedorov was making 1.5 million this year everybody would be thinking he was playing great.
No, I don't think so. If he was making 1.5 and playing 12-14 minutes a night he would be an effective player because his body would be able to handle it. His mind is willing, his body just isn't able anymore.

18 minutes is insanity for him and his contract is a big part of the reason we weren't able to get guys to slot in ahead of him in the lineup.

Old
12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Sergei - my Grandma is single!

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
How in the world do you guys know who are 2nd line is with all the shuffling we do? I sure don't. All i can do is watch PP lines and TOI.

As for Center TOI, last night.

Peca 17:33
Fedorov 16:24
Novotny 15:46
Beech 13:21
Malhotra 12:04(actually played alot of wing last night)

Our top 2 centers are Fedorov and Peca, and have been all season based on TOI. Beech is playing great, but its so early and he's played so few games that comparing him to the other centers is out of context imo. Beech is not a 1st or 2nd line center right now, you don't play a 1st/2nd line center 13 minutes. Yes he centered Nash/Zherdev alot last night, but welcome to world of line shuffling. He also centered Boll and Novotny at one point.

Hitch shuffles as much or more than GG did, the only difference is, there is usually a favorable result at the end of the craziness.

Did anyone see Manny shuffle a lead pass far out in front of his left wing last night? That would have been a great pass had that left wing been Chimera...but last night it was #45, not #25 and the pass floated harmlessly into the Colorado end and onto their Dman's stick. My wife even said, "why didn't Chimera get that puck?", before realizing it was Shelley. Thats the cost of line shuffling. Manny made an instinct play thinking he has one of the fastest LW's in the league, when in fact, he had maybe the slowest LW in the league on the ice with him.
Beech doesn't kill penalties, the other guys do which is where they would get more ice time from.

Manny played with Shelley and 49 and then Shelley got taken off at times and was changed up. Hitch changes one guy from the line and two stay the same.

Old
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
beba91

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Beech doesn't kill penalties, the other guys do which is where they would get more ice time from.

Manny played with Shelley and 49 and then Shelley got taken off at times and was changed up. Hitch changes one guy from the line and two stay the same.
Feds still had more ice time than him even if you do take out his PK time.. stop trying to convince yourself that a guy who has played 7 games is our number one center. And for you to say that Beech has outplayed Feds after 7 games is plain stupid..Feds was averaging almost a point per game at one point during the season..doesn't mean much in the long run..talk to me when Beech has played 25+ games.

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
beba91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Sergei - my Grandma is single!
stolen from a Sign that was intended for Chelios hehe

HAPPPYY BIRTHDAY FEDSSS ..CANT WAIT TO FINALLY SEE YOU ON THE 23RD OF FEBRUARY

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by beba91 View Post
Feds still had more ice time than him even if you do take out his PK time.. stop trying to convince yourself that a guy who has played 7 games is our number one center. Who was on the ice for the last minute of the game?
Exactly, and Zherdev doesn't kill penalties either, yet he skated 18+ minutes last night. We did a little platooning at center, as we dressed 5. Beech did center Nash and Zherdev the majority of the night, but at 13 minutes, only Fritsche, Boll, Shelley, and Malhotra had less ice time.

Beech is a great infusion to the team right now and he's made the most of the oppurtunities he's gotten, but 7 games is just 7 games. He is our 5th center(tied with Brule?) in all reality.