HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Tri-State Winter Weather Thread

Old
12-12-2007, 11:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
OT: Tri-State Winter Weather Thread

Just felt like making the good ol'winter weather thread. Discuss upcoming storms, traffic disasters and all that fun stuff.

Anyway, big storm coming tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by National Weather Service
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 11 PM EST THURSDAY.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ACROSS SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY... NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT THURSDAY MORNING. PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ARE THEN EXPECTED THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON... POSSIBLY MIXING WITH SLEET AT TIMES IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF THURSDAY EVENING...POSSIBLY ENDING AS A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND SLEET... NEARER TO THE COAST.

TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY RANGE FROM 6 TO 8 INCHES AWAY FROM THE COAST. LOCATIONS CLOSER TO THE COAST WILL EXPERIENCE A MIXTURE OF SLEET WHICH WILL LIMIT ACCUMULATIONS TO 4 TO 6 INCHES.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
Quote:
... Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect from 10 am to 11 PM EST Thursday...

Snow is expected to develop from southwest to northeast across New York City... northeast New Jersey and Long Island Thursday morning. A brief period of heavy snow will be possible at the onset before mixing with and changing to sleet and rain in the afternoon. As temperatures drop towards evening... precipitation will then mix back with sleet... snow and freezing rain.

Total snow accumulations will generally range from 2 to 5 inches... with higher amounts away from New York City where it will be slightly colder.

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow... sleet... or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.
Anyone staying home?
I gotta work, but I probably will leave early. Anyways, everyone be safe tomorrow and be careful on the roads.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 12-12-2007 at 11:09 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Thankfully...i'm on vacation or else i'd be out on the road during this storm, i'd normally be working 4-12 tomorrow, right in the middle of the the storm.

Also, there is another potential storm that is suppose to hit the tri-state area on Sunday, which is suppose to be worse then tomorrow's storm.

Everyone stay safe tomorrow if your driving in it..better to be home late then not at all.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
BklyNYR4Life

I have my last class of the semester tomorrow. going to class, going to work (wine shop in brooklyn) grabbing a bottle of wine for dinner/celebrating. staying in with video games, and booze it wont get much better.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I was going to do some Christmas shopping tomorrow.

Quote:
3pm Snow / Sleet 32F 23F 80%
Might not happen.

Although I wouldn't mind some snow during the Giants/Redskins game Sunday night. Haven't seen a good, old-fashioned Giants snow game for a while.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I hope it gets to the point where I can call out tomorrow from work.

I live on the shore in Monmouth County, though, so I doubt it.

Bummer city!

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 07:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It started about 20 minutes ago here. Enough for me not to go to work. What's the point of going for one hour and then coming back home.

Old
12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Is it already snowing in NY? Not expected to start in RI until after lunch.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:23 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

So many schools closed for today already, and where I am (Rockland County) there isn't a spec of snow on the ground.

I don't get it. When I was in school there used to be some drama when it came to finding out if school closed. Now, it's like just the threat of snow cancels school.

12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rockland actually isn't supposed to get too much, but I think 3-6 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Supposed to mix with sleet too. They're saying anywhere between 5 & 10 inches where I am (north westchester) and it started at around 8:30 here.

Old
12-13-2007, 08:26 AM
jc25

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
So many schools closed for today already, and where I am (Rockland County) there isn't a spec of snow on the ground.

I don't get it. When I was in school there used to be some drama when it came to finding out if school closed. Now, it's like just the threat of snow cancels school.
yeah no doubt man, I woke up this morning (rockland as well) and all I saw was what looked like chunks of salt on my car. i'm in westchester now and it's not snowing yet....dammit

jc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:27 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Geeez I gotta drive home this afternoon in upstate :X

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
cityhockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post

I feel the exact same way. Back then, I used to have to get ready for school that morning even if it was snowing hard. It's all about the friggin' teachers and whether they can get in to work or not. More teachers working in Westchester County commute a distance to local school districts than in years past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Rockland actually isn't supposed to get too much, but I think 3-6 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Supposed to mix with sleet too. They're saying anywhere between 5 & 10 inches where I am (north westchester) and it started at around 8:30 here.
I live just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge near the Tarrytown area (just 35 minutes north of Madison Square Garden) and the general consensus is about 3 to 6 or 4 to 7 inches of snow with a very brief period of sleet mixing in. I hope it's all snow so the roads don't get bad from any icing problems. Boy, you gotta feel bad for those people in Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri right now.

By the way, if you guys like, I can post a weather conditions report or two. It may be just in text form for the time being as I'd have to reinstall Adobe Photoshop CS 3 onto my PCs. I had a problem with the problem last week and had to uninstall. I mention this because I can post some graphics pages after I put a package together.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

No snow here on Long Island yet...but you would think it was a white out already. I have 3 out of 15 employees here right now. So being that everyone is already an hour late, and i'm grumpy as hell at the loos to Wash last night, it's going to be 50 lashin's with a wet noodle when they get in today!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
No snow here on Long Island yet...but you would think it was a white out already. I have 3 out of 15 employees here right now. So being that everyone is already an hour late, and i'm grumpy as hell at the loos to Wash last night, it's going to be 50 lashin's with a wet noodle when they get in today!
Want to take that back XD? Just started. Now I get to go back to class then to work. Woo.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:42 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It actually stopped here a while ago. I didn't go to work because it was coming down hard, then it just stops...

Old
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Really loud sleetish/rain combo in midtown.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Stinkin' Root Beer

The freezing rain just started in Union County, NJ, but work got called off yesterday afternoon in anticipation. Gotta love working in a high school

Stinkin' Root Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Snow's coming down hardcore now.

Old
12-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Yeah, it's coming down pretty good in Jericho now, but it's still a little warm out. Not sticking to the pavement yet, but it is covered the lawn here at my office already. Just got my truck back yesterday...just in time!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Nich

damn..and me flying in on saturday morning...i better not have my flight canceled....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
anyone know how weather affects Metro North??? im supposed to go see my other favorite team on sunday and im hoping there wont be any problems

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:54 AM
RFAN

Dutchess county is getting slammed! At least 3in already and coming down hard. I think think we are getting 8 to 12. Road are a mess with everyone forgetting how to drive in the snow, luckily I home already.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:17 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

We have about 2 inches already. In terms of Metro North, it should be fine for tomorrow. The storm is supposed to end this evening around 9ish I think.

Old
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Snowing now on the MA/RI border. I'm going to head out and work from home this afternoon, but not before I have a little fun with my new Bridgestone Blizzaks on my way.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Snowing now on the MA/RI border. I'm going to head out and work from home this afternoon, but not before I have a little fun with my new Bridgestone Blizzaks on my way.
Melrose, are you near Foxboro? If so, what is the forecast for Sunday, 1pm? From what I've heard, snowy and VERY windy. Maybe the Jets can cover because the of the conditions???

Jackson Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote