HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Question about Kozlov...

Old
12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

vCash: 500
Question about Kozlov...

Greetings from the Western Conference! Great win over the Rangers tonight, by the way (the Caps are my wife's favorite team, so my 2nd favorite by default )

So a few of us (okay, like me and two other people) are having a debate over Viktor Kozlov. I would love to have him on our team, but others are saying he's a lazier, less-skilled Robert Lang.

What's the general consensus on him over here?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

it wouldnt take much to get him

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
basically when he's good, he's really good, but when he's bad he's nearly invisible.. and this year he's been about 50/50.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 12:23 AM
The Viking Fury

what are you offering? Cuz if its any pick between 3 and 7, the caps will take it.

Heh, obviously not... but its possible that he'll be gone at the deadline next season.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:08 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotj08 View Post
basically when he's good, he's really good, but when he's bad he's nearly invisible.. and this year he's been about 50/50.
Better nearly invisible than making bad things happen... Lang had a habit of handing the puck to the other team at inopportune moments, then scoring the game winner. Strange cat, Lang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury
what are you offering? Cuz if its any pick between 3 and 7, the caps will take it.
Honestly, what do you guys need? (Not that I'm the GM or anything, just wishful thinking...)

Last edited by RedMenace: 12-13-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old
12-13-2007, 01:19 AM
The Viking Fury

top 6 right wingers, probably a stable defense-first defenseman, or a young goalie poised to take over a starting job within 3/4 years, but not quite ready now.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

ill take a bag of pucks, case of molson xxx, and an old octopus picked up from the ice.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Foy

I would say a Poor Man's Lang is a good assessment.

There were basically four reasons we picked him up.
1. Veteran Presence
2. Chemistry with Ovy
3. Money in a shootout.
4. Backstrom couldn't cut it.

Well, we've only been to one shootout this year so far (after going 1-11 in them last year), and he's not even on a line with Ovy because Backstrom has been better than expected the last few weeks.

So we basically signed him because he's old. It almost makes me miss Zubrus. Especially the way I saw him play with NJ over the weekend.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

You guys can moan about it, but guys like Kozlov are good to have around. He's a veteran, he can play two positions, he's not terrible, he's signed to a cheap deal. With sundry injuries to Clark, Fehr, Nylander, and Semin I for one was grateful to have Kozlov around.

To answer the question, he's good depth but it's best not to have to count on him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You guys can moan about it, but guys like Kozlov are good to have around. He's a veteran, he can play two positions, he's not terrible, he's signed to a cheap deal. With sundry injuries to Clark, Fehr, Nylander, and Semin I for one was grateful to have Kozlov around.

To answer the question, he's good depth but it's best not to have to count on him.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm not wild about the guy, but he isn't atrocious. This is hardly someone we are paying a ton of money to, and it's hardly long term. Hopefully by the time his contract is up, Fehr will be playing.

Old
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
CapitalPunishment

Kozlov is atrocious.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
txpd

Yea, I've got to agree with Brook. Its easy to complain about Kozlov. In fact he has been on the back of the bus with a lot of you guys because he started at Center. Its been down hill since.

He does not turn the puck over in dangerous places and therefore has not been either scratched or benched by Brucey.

When he is not making anything happen, he is at least not giving the farm away. Ov loves him. He is good in the room. He doesn't complain. You never hear about him saying anything. He took no credit for any good plays he has made.

Leave it.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
When he shoots, it seems like he just kind of lets it go hoping it lands somewhere in the vicinity of the net. His shots are predictable and low percentage. He's gotta start going to the net. Almost all of his shots are from outside the faceoff dots.

That's not how you score goals in this league.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
When he shoots, it seems like he just kind of lets it go hoping it lands somewhere in the vicinity of the net. His shots are predictable and low percentage. He's gotta start going to the net. Almost all of his shots are from outside the faceoff dots.

That's not how you score goals in this league.
Not only that, but he has a hard time getting it on net. Ouch, I just checked TSN and his shot percentage is 3.45%, and that doesn't count all of the high/wide shots we see from him.

I don't mean to complain too much; Kozy is a serviceable top-6 guy signed to a very reasonable contract, and he's doing almost exactly what was expected of him.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Not only that, but he has a hard time getting it on net. Ouch, I just checked TSN and his shot percentage is 3.45%, and that doesn't count all of the high/wide shots we see from him.

I don't mean to complain too much; Kozy is a serviceable top-6 guy signed to a very reasonable contract, and he's doing almost exactly what was expected of him.
Yeah, his point totals aren't bad but it would be nice if he were on pace for 20 goals rather than 10. He is getting a lot of shots away, hopefully he gets one and they start going in a bit easier.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
PSUhockey34

he's been as advertised...not a bad depth guy for the top 6 though

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
Agreed.

As long as he's playing RW. I'm content.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Beyond his first goal of the season, I haven't seen an inkling of chemistry between him and Ovechkin.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post

And he is pretty cheap.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

We'll certainly get to see what he's made of tonight against the Wings. Looking forward to the game, and good luck to all!

Old
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
We'll certainly get to see what he's made of tonight against the Wings. Looking forward to the game, and good luck to all!
He's been playing on the 3/4th lines the last few games.

Old
12-17-2007, 09:08 PM
HockFan11

vCash: 599
He was definitely worth the pickup going into this season and at +2 and having played well tonight against the top Western team, is worth hanging on to. The playoff experience doesn't hurt, either.

Do you really expect someone of his scoring potential to maintain a 3.3 shot percent?

HockFan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
safoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockFan11 View Post
He was definitely worth the pickup going into this season and at +2 and having played well tonight against the top Western team, is worth hanging on to. The playoff experience doesn't hurt, either.

Do you really expect someone of his scoring potential to maintain a 3.3 shot percent?
Worth the pickup for a +2? +/- is a meaningless stat, especially when you are playing as few minutes as Kozlov is right now. He's gone from a first line center to a line with Brashear and Laich for God's sake.

Goal scoring ability? The man has scored over 20 goals twice in his career, and over 15 only 4 times. He registers few points, is a natural wing, and we picked him up to center Ovechkin's line (albiet with Hanlon's lineup). He's one of the few linemates that hasn't seen a stat increase with OV (see: Zubrus, Clark, and lately Backstrom).

Not to mention he's a big man who plays small. He routinely gets bumped off the puck when he is in the slot. Not to mention he gets far too cute with the puck; passing up an open shot to make a pass right to a defender's blade.

Playoff experience???? Are you talking about his whopping 3 points in 14 games in the playoffs??? Give me a break.

Some of the Kozlov defenders just don't make sense to me. He is a third tier player signed for second tier money. Thank God he is only signed to a 2 year contract.

Now that I have that off my chest...first post. Been a lurker for a while, so hello everyone!

Last edited by safoster: 12-20-2007 at 12:50 AM.
safoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:44 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by safoster View Post
Worth the pickup for a +2? +/- is a meaningless stat, especially when you are playing as few minutes as Kozlov is right now. He's gone from a first line center to a line with Brashear and Laich for God's sake.

Goal scoring ability? The man has scored over 20 goals twice in his career, and over 15 only 4 times. He registers few points, is a natural wing, and we picked him up to center Ovechkin's line (albiet with Hanlon's lineup). He's one of the few linemates that hasn't seen a stat increase with OV (see: Zubrus, Clark, and lately Backstrom).

Playoff experience???? Are you talking about his whopping 3 points in 14 games in the playoffs??? Give me a break.

Some of the Kozlov defenders just don't make sense to me. He is a third tier player signed for first tier money. Thank God he is only signed to a 2 year contract.

Now that I have that off my chest...first post. Been a lurker for a while, so hello everyone!
I think you need to look up what first tier money is, and then adjust your expectations accordingly.

And welcome!

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
safoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I think you need to look up what first tier money is, and then adjust your expectations accordingly.

And welcome!
meant second...edited.

safoster is offline   Reply With Quote