HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doull gets one game for his hit on Nedved.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2004, 03:39 PM
  #1
Alexander
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Doull gets one game for his hit on Nedved.

http://www.tsn.ca/NHL/news_story.asp...03&hubName=nhl

First of all, this should've been a two minute penalty. Second of all, Dan McGillis will not be suspended. Orr was not called up from Providence either. Meaning the Bruins will be sitting ducks (especially McGillis) if the Rangers start trouble. I hope the Bruins call up Orr, or something, just to give the league the finger and keep tonight's game interesting. Also, I wonder if Doull will appeal this moronic call by the NHL.

Why Bettman, why?


 
Old
01-20-2004, 03:48 PM
  #2
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
I have to agree with John Davidson's little rant on the The Fan590 today. Doull has played 12 games, has a total of 81 penalty minutes and only 26 minutes of ice time in those 12 games. He's not even a enforcer he's simply out there specifically to injure players and shouldn't be playing in the NHL period.

Savage is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:07 PM
  #3
Alexander
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
A good quote in regards to the Doull hit:

"Its just another one of those stupid "hitting-too-hard" penalties Bettman and his merry band of men are so keen on dispensing to further Eurofy the No Hitting League..."

Also, what happened to Kasper was vindication. Sure, it was obviously going to be a call whether McGillis meant to do it or not, but it's Kasper.

 
Old
01-20-2004, 04:09 PM
  #4
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I have to agree with John Davidson's little rant on the The Fan590 today. Doull has played 12 games, has a total of 81 penalty minutes and only 26 minutes of ice time in those 12 games. He's not even a enforcer he's simply out there specifically to injure players and shouldn't be playing in the NHL period.
And when Richard Scott played a few games for the Rangers, Davidson was all about him. Davidson is a hyporcrit, citing him here is worthless. How many "dangerous" hits has Doull had??? The guy fights a lot, fine, but when did this guy become a cheap shot artist all of a sudden. This hit was nothign special, he got fined because he's a goon and because of the "wow" factor.

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
  #5
Savage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 752
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
And when Richard Scott played a few games for the Rangers, Davidson was all about him. Davidson is a hyporcrit, citing him here is worthless. How many "dangerous" hits has Doull had??? The guy fights a lot, fine, but when did this guy become a cheap shot artist all of a sudden. This hit was nothign special, he got fined because he's a goon and because of the "wow" factor.
Doull played for our farm team and believe me he's a cheap shot artist. It's not a matter of him just becoming it's a matter of this being his first chance to play in the league and showing the fans that don't follow AHL at all just how he can "play"...

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware there is plenty of those type of players in the league but lets be honest, Doull couldn't put up solid points in the ECHL because he has so no skill what so ever and most enforcers atleast have some talent.

Savage is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:17 PM
  #6
TJF
Registered User
 
TJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,696
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
And when Richard Scott played a few games for the Rangers, Davidson was all about him. Davidson is a hyporcrit, citing him here is worthless. How many "dangerous" hits has Doull had??? The guy fights a lot, fine, but when did this guy become a cheap shot artist all of a sudden. This hit was nothign special, he got fined because he's a goon and because of the "wow" factor.



Couldn't have said it better myself, look up homer in the dictionary and next to it they'll be a picture of John Davidson.

TJF is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
  #7
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I have to agree with John Davidson's little rant on the The Fan590 today. Doull has played 12 games, has a total of 81 penalty minutes and only 26 minutes of ice time in those 12 games. He's not even a enforcer he's simply out there specifically to injure players and shouldn't be playing in the NHL period.
That was only the second Doull's penalty not for fighting. He is our enforcer.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
  #8
Alexander
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Well put, paxtang.

http://mostokes.valuehost.co.uk/doullshort.mpg

There is the Doull hit. Anything more then two minutes is simply a crime.

 
Old
01-20-2004, 04:28 PM
  #9
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
"Its just another one of those stupid "hitting-too-hard" penalties Bettman and his merry band of men are so keen on dispensing to further Eurofy the No Hitting League..."

Also, what happened to Kasper was vindication. Sure, it was obviously going to be a call whether McGillis meant to do it or not, but it's Kasper.
No hitting too hard?? When a player doesn't have the puck, there's no hitting at all. Whoever said that is a moron.

He just got off the bench, skated in over towards Petr Nedved, lined him up, and plowed him high. Nedved needed to be taken off the ice for stiches. Suspension? Obviously. That's not "old time hockey", that's bush-league work from a bush-league player

Vindication!? From what I remember, Boston's precious #8 was quite the hard hitter "dirty type" player as well. I suppose when he was taken out on a knee-to-knee that was "vindication" at the time, too.

You'd think Boston fan's wouldn't have such short term memory when talking about knee shots.

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
  #10
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
And when Richard Scott played a few games for the Rangers, Davidson was all about him. Davidson is a hyporcrit, citing him here is worthless. How many "dangerous" hits has Doull had??? The guy fights a lot, fine, but when did this guy become a cheap shot artist all of a sudden. This hit was nothign special, he got fined because he's a goon and because of the "wow" factor.

What does Richard Scott have to do with any of this? He is not the issue.

JD made the point that for every minute on the ice, Doull spends a minute in the box. That stat means something. It means he is out there and being violent. Fights are one thing. Go after someones head (who did not touch the puck), while leaving your feet is not a chippy play. It is a dirty play with an intent to injure.

Doull has 81 penalty minuted in 12 games (6.75 minutes a game). And, for what it's worth, Doull played :38 seconds yesterday.

And to stray off topic like you did by mentioning Richard Scott, when Simon was suspended two games for attacking Fedotenko, JD was the first to say that that was the right ruling and that Simon made a stupid and dirty play.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:43 PM
  #11
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What does Richard Scott have to do with any of this? He is not the issue.

JD made the point that for every minute on the ice, Doull spends a minute in the box. That stat means something. It means he is out there and being violent. Fights are one thing. Go after someones head (who did not touch the puck), while leaving your feet is not a chippy play. It is a dirty play with an intent to injure.

Doull has 81 penalty minuted in 12 games (6.75 minutes a game). And, for what it's worth, Doull played :38 seconds yesterday.

And to stray off topic like you did by mentioning Richard Scott, when Simon was suspended two games for attacking Fedotenko, JD was the first to say that that was the right ruling and that Simon made a stupid and dirty play.
How is it straying off topic. I was stating that JD has no place to talk in this situation, which he doesn't. If you want to call Doull dirty fine, but quoting JD is stupid. The guy hyped Scott a lot when he played, saying he is all heart and gives emotion to the team. Scott is Doull in Ranger form. I'm not a fan of either team, but saying JD is not a homer and that his quote on this is pointless is not off topic at all. Using his quote was.

Doull has been in the NHL for what a dozen games? This is the first cheap shot he's pulled. How can you say he's only up to injure people? He's up to fight people, that's it, and he's done that while he was here. JD is simply being a homer.

Doull's shot was a cheap shot, but it wasn't suspension worthy IMO. Those sort of hits shoudl be taken care of by the players, not by the league.

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:46 PM
  #12
Phil333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
If any of you are defending this hit, you did not see the game. It was a crosscheck in the neutral zone to Nedved's face when Nedved did not have the puck. The guy lined him up when he didnt have the puck, came over with the high hit/stick. That is not hockey! It was a good call by the refs.

Phil333 is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:51 PM
  #13
BruinFan42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
John Davidson really needs to see beyond his beloved Rangers team. When he's got players like Darius Kasparitis, who has made a living out of taking out other people's knees, and Mathew Barnaby and Bobby Holik, 2 notorious cheap shot artist, he really shouldn't be complaining about Doull's hit on Nedved.

If you look at the video footage, the puck goes right past Nedved and then Doull hits him. No one will ever be certain, but Doull probably anticipated the puck going to Nedved and then he would apply the hit. By the time the puck went past Nedved, it was too late.

Now, I'm not condoning Doull's hit as the right idea, but it certainly is NOT as big a deal as people are making it out to be. For Davidson to say that Doull should not belong in the NHL and that he is a cheap shot artist, he needs to open his eyes. Fighting has always been part of the game, and until the Nedved hit, Doull has done nothing but fight, and fight only. No instigators, no misconducts, just fights.

This is really getting blown out of proportion. I'm sure Nedved will play tonight and score a goal and celebrate like nothing ever happened.

BruinFan42 is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
  #14
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,738
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
How is it straying off topic. I was stating that JD has no place to talk in this situation, which he doesn't. If you want to call Doull dirty fine, but quoting JD is stupid. The guy hyped Scott a lot when he played, saying he is all heart and gives emotion to the team. Scott is Doull in Ranger form. I'm not a fan of either team, but saying JD is not a homer and that his quote on this is pointless is not off topic at all. Using his quote was.

Doull has been in the NHL for what a dozen games? This is the first cheap shot he's pulled. How can you say he's only up to injure people? He's up to fight people, that's it, and he's done that while he was here. JD is simply being a homer.

Doull's shot was a cheap shot, but it wasn't suspension worthy IMO. Those sort of hits shoudl be taken care of by the players, not by the league.
From what i remember Scott didnt come straight of the bench. Set his eyes on someone and simply attack another player. Like i said on the Bruins board, theres a difference from being an enforcer and being a hired assasin..out there to injure another player.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
  #15
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
If any of you are defending this hit, you did not see the game. It was a crosscheck in the neutral zone to Nedved's face when Nedved did not have the puck. The guy lined him up when he didnt have the puck, came over with the high hit/stick. That is not hockey! It was a good call by the refs.
It was not a cross check, he had his arms high. Honestly, when I saw this hit, it looked like he anticipated Nedved getting the puck and lined him up. Nedved didn't get the puck and he hit him anyways. That was all I saw about the hit that was dirty. The hit in and of itself to me was not dirty at all. Again, it was a cheap shot, but the kind you answer by beating the hell out of him, not by the league getting suspension happy.

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:54 PM
  #16
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
From what i remember Scott didnt come straight of the bench. Set his eyes on someone and simply attack another player. Like i said on the Bruins board, theres a difference from being an enforcer and being a hired assasin..out there to injure another player.
He's done one dirty hit, and all of a sudden he's a hired assassin. And attack a player? It was a hit. He was obviously looking to start something, but hoenstly, if he wanted to he coudl have killed Nedved there (aka with an elbow)

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
  #17
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
How is it straying off topic. I was stating that JD has no place to talk in this situation, which he doesn't. If you want to call Doull dirty fine, but quoting JD is stupid. The guy hyped Scott a lot when he played, saying he is all heart and gives emotion to the team. Scott is Doull in Ranger form. I'm not a fan of either team, but saying JD is not a homer and that his quote on this is pointless is not off topic at all. Using his quote was.

Doull has been in the NHL for what a dozen games? This is the first cheap shot he's pulled. How can you say he's only up to injure people? He's up to fight people, that's it, and he's done that while he was here. JD is simply being a homer.

Doull's shot was a cheap shot, but it wasn't suspension worthy IMO. Those sort of hits shoudl be taken care of by the players, not by the league.
Funny, I don't I made any mention of JD being or not being a homer.

JD has no place to comment on the situation? He was broadcasting the game. What better person to comment?

What JD has said about Scott is that Scott has worked hard on his skating which has allowed to take the body and that gave the team a lift. He did not say that Scott is a heart and sould player who goes out gunning for peoples heads.

The numbers speak from themself. Doull is a goon. And, for some reason, he opted to not fight anyone after the Thornton fight. Instead, he took a flying lead with a cross check to the head of someone who did not touch the puck.
The guy racked up 70 penalty minutes and played 38 seconds. That's disgraceful.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:57 PM
  #18
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Well put, paxtang.

http://mostokes.valuehost.co.uk/doullshort.mpg

There is the Doull hit. Anything more then two minutes is simply a crime.
He was suspended for that? Davidson is a tool if he said that. Kasparitis takes out Reichel for a month on a much more dangerous hit than that. And Kasparitis IS a cheap shot artist.

shakes is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:58 PM
  #19
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,738
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
He's done one dirty hit, and all of a sudden he's a hired assassin. And attack a player? It was a hit. He was obviously looking to start something, but hoenstly, if he wanted to he coudl have killed Nedved there (aka with an elbow)
When a player leaves his feet, its not a hit. Its trying to attack someone.. espically(sp?) when it happens in open ice.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
01-20-2004, 04:59 PM
  #20
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
He's done one dirty hit, and all of a sudden he's a hired assassin. And attack a player? It was a hit. He was obviously looking to start something, but hoenstly, if he wanted to he coudl have killed Nedved there (aka with an elbow)

Wow, you're right. I'm gonna get him some juice and cookies for not killing Nedved. And, while, I'm at it, I'll get some for myself as well because I didn't rob a bank today.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 05:01 PM
  #21
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,738
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
He was suspended for that? Davidson is a tool if he said that. Kasparitis takes out Reichel for a month on a much more dangerous hit than that. And Kasparitis IS a cheap shot artist.
Kaspar's hit wasnt cheap. Unfortually, Reichel had his arm out on the play, which is the only reason his arm was taken out. At least the puck was near Reichel on the play.. Doull's was in open ice nowhere near the puck. He saw Nedved, locked in and went after him like a cat after a mouse.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
01-20-2004, 05:02 PM
  #22
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
If you look at the video footage, the puck goes right past Nedved and then Doull hits him. No one will ever be certain, but Doull probably anticipated the puck going to Nedved and then he would apply the hit. By the time the puck went past Nedved, it was too late.
Oh I see now. He meant to throw a flying cross check to the head at the man with the puck. Oh, that makes perfect sense now.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  #23
BruinFan42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
This is getting rediculous. The argument is going nowhere.

The NHL obviously didn't think the hit was as dangerous as some of you think and want it to be, because they only suspended Doull for ONE game. Maybe that should tell you something.

BruinFan42 is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  #24
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Funny, I don't I made any mention of JD being or not being a homer.

JD has no place to comment on the situation? He was broadcasting the game. What better person to comment?

What JD has said about Scott is that Scott has worked hard on his skating which has allowed to take the body and that gave the team a lift. He did not say that Scott is a heart and sould player who goes out gunning for peoples heads.

The numbers speak from themself. Doull is a goon. And, for some reason, he opted to not fight anyone after the Thornton fight. Instead, he took a flying lead with a cross check to the head of someone who did not touch the puck.
The guy racked up 70 penalty minutes and played 38 seconds. That's disgraceful.
JD can talk all he wants about it. But his opinion is worthless. Of course a homer like him will complain about a guy like Doull and a hit like that. I simply pointed out that he is a hypocrit. He bashed Doull and called him worthless. He has just as much worth as Scott, who he touted. The difference is that Scott is a Ranger.

Doull is a goon. That's a fact. He didn't take a "flying lead with a cross check". I saw no crosscheck there. He went up high, and the force of the hit took his feet off the ice, since he went at him with one foot. The hit was dirty, but it was suspendable.

If you think Doull is a disgrace that's fine. To me he was doing his job. He felt he needed some pay back after their best player got taken out. It was from a clean fight, but generally when a top player gets taken out, a goon will go *** for tat. I don't think he hit was an attempt to injure at all, as can be shown that he didnt lead with the elbow or his stick. He went for a hit to stir stuff up, which can be seen that he had his gloves off to go as soon as he hit him.

You don't need to give him props for not leading with his elbow. But if you want to call him a disgrace and an assasin, that's just pathetic. He put a dirty hit to start stuff up, it wasn't an attempt to injure.

paxtang is offline  
Old
01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
  #25
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
He was suspended for that? Davidson is a tool if he said that. Kasparitis takes out Reichel for a month on a much more dangerous hit than that. And Kasparitis IS a cheap shot artist.
That was a perfectly legal hit

Theoren Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.