HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does the Richards deal mean for Carter?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
  #1
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,450
vCash: 500
What does the Richards deal mean for Carter?

Just wondering how you guys think this is going to effect Carters status with the Flyers? Unless he can switch to wing, is it realistic to expect him to play #3 behind Briere and Richards for the next 8 years that they are both signed?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
  #2
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
it prob moves him up to #1 in order of the players to be signed. It will be interesting to see and i have heard of a four year deal being discussed

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
  #3
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Carter could be signed and Umberger could be gone

Hatcher is gone

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
  #4
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
Carter could be signed and Umberger could be gone

Hatcher is gone
Umberger's had such a good year and he's stated he doesn't want to leave, it'd be tough to see him walk right now.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:50 PM
  #5
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Umberger's had such a good year and he's stated he doesn't want to leave, it'd be tough to see him walk right now.
I don't want Umberger to leave neither do i want Carter to go, but Homer has to make a decision. The Hartnell contract im starting to hate right now Homer overpaid him

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
  #6
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
I don't want Umberger to leave neither do i want Carter to go, but Homer has to make a decision. The Hartnell contract im starting to hate right now Homer overpaid him
Agreed. A few hours ago I'm thinking we can work around the Hartnell deal. Not so anymore. He needs to live up to it in a hurry.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
  #7
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,866
vCash: 50
I hope Berger signs a 2 yr deal similar to Upshal's to stay with the team, and then if he has to leave for big $$ in 2 yrs, i would wish him all the best. I would not be upset if Carter is traded or offered a big RFA deal and take the picks.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
  #8
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
I think it means Hatcher is gone, Kapanen is gone, and either Knuble or Umberger is gone.

I also think it means we only sign Carter short term (2-3 years), because we aren't going to be able to afford to increase the cap hit by 'buying him out' of a lot of UFA years.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
  #9
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,096
vCash: 955
I have faith in Holmgren that he knew he could still get Carter signed after Cannon. As someone mentioned in another thread, Ed Snider probably passed on information about next year's projected cap numbers, so Holmgren has a rough idea of how much money he can throw around.


It's almost definite that this is Hatcher's last year in Orange and Black. Umberger, after saying he wants to stay, makes me believe that the Flyers may get a 'hometown' discount to keep him around for another year or two before he demands a salary the team cannot currently afford.


Carter should be back next year. I'm feelin' pretty good about the short term AND long term right now

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
  #10
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
isn't some of our cap space still taken up by Primeau's contract???

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
  #11
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Carter, I think, needs more time to prove his worth. I'd give him a 1 or 2 year deal not much more than Upshall's and say "show us what you've got".

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
  #12
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
isn't some of our cap space still taken up by Primeau's contract???
Forget how it all works, but he's off the books next season completely. Same with a couple buyouts (Stevenson and someone else....).

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
  #13
exlund*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Agreed. A few hours ago I'm thinking we can work around the Hartnell deal. Not so anymore. He needs to live up to it in a hurry.
At the time of the signings it sounds like Hartnell and Timonen were bouncing the idea off of each other as to whether to sign here or not...almost like it was a package deal...hartnell was due to get a nice offer as a UFA but maybe not quite as high as we went...while I still think he has some upside, I won't complain if we can manage to trade him away...some teams want a hard nosed winger who can (supposedly) score goals...let's trade Hatcher and Hartnell to LA for Tom Preissing.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
  #14
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I think it means Hatcher is gone, Kapanen is gone, and either Knuble or Umberger is gone.

I also think it means we only sign Carter short term (2-3 years), because we aren't going to be able to afford to increase the cap hit by 'buying him out' of a lot of UFA years.
i don't think Carter would want to sign a long term contract just yet anyway... the money simply wouldn't be there and he has the raw ability to earn a big payday if he starts to find the twine a bit more.

Umberger deserves to stay based on how he's played this year... however, they can't pay him a ton. It's going to be an interesting decision.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
isn't some of our cap space still taken up by Primeau's contract???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Forget how it all works, but he's off the books next season completely. Same with a couple buyouts (Stevenson and someone else....).
his contract is there, but it isn't actually taking up any cap space because he's banished to the netherworld of LTIR or whatever.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
  #16
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Dead cap space for the Flyers this year is Primeau (get it back on LTIR), Stevenson (buyout), and Baumgartner (re-entry waivers)

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
  #17
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
The better question is "what does this mean to Jason Smith?"

Answer: So long Gator.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
  #18
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
The better question is "what does this mean to Jason Smith?"

Answer: So long Gator.
I won't lose any sleep over it. I'd be happier if it meant bye-bye Hatcher, though.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
  #19
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
If Smith will play for 1.9 to 2.0, I think we keep him.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:03 PM
  #20
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
The better question is "what does this mean to Jason Smith?"

Answer: So long Gator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I won't lose any sleep over it. I'd be happier if it meant bye-bye Hatcher, though.
Hatcher is gone well before Smith... if they let Smith walk and have Hatcher in the lineup opening night then all good things said about Holmgren need to be unsaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
If Smith will play for 1.9 to 2.0, I think we keep him.
yes, on a short deal... they need to start walking the young defenseman into the lineup because we have some high potential players in the AHL in Parent and Picard.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:06 PM
  #21
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Hatcher is going to be gone, so that's a spot for one of them. I agree, Smith can't be more than a 2 year deal.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
  #22
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Well, if Carter isn't content being the number 3 center on the team, he better get used to playing the wing and maybe move to the top spot with Gagne and Briere. I think Carter would actually be the perfect compliment on that line and could play the Knuble role really well and inject some serious speed on the top line right wing spot.

As for the third line, it's just be resolved by putting Potulny there with Van Riemsdyk on one side, Giroux on the other. I don't know about anyone else, but that could be one very fine third line.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
  #23
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Nothing. Carter will be re-signed for around $3-$3.5 million per year for about 4 years.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Well, if Carter isn't content being the number 3 center on the team, he better get used to playing the wing and maybe move to the top spot with Gagne and Briere. I think Carter would actually be the perfect compliment on that line and could play the Knuble role really well and inject some serious speed on the top line right wing spot.

As for the third line, it's just be resolved by putting Potulny there with Van Riemsdyk on one side, Giroux on the other. I don't know about anyone else, but that could be one very fine third line.
moving Carter to the wing would be fantastic, IMO... but it doesn't appear that's going to happen. the Tolpeko, Upshall, and Carter line is playing some good hockey together at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguru View Post
Nothing. Carter will be re-signed for around $3-$3.5 million per year for about 4 years.
i doubt he signs for more than 2 years... but i'd be happy if he did. if nothing else, it would magnify his trade value considerably.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 05:22 PM
  #25
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
moving Carter to the wing would be fantastic, IMO... but it doesn't appear that's going to happen. the Tolpeko, Upshall, and Carter line is playing some good hockey together at that.



i doubt he signs for more than 2 years... but i'd be happy if he did. if nothing else, it would magnify his trade value considerably.
I think this deal will be to the end of his RFA time. I think that's 3 years, right?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.