HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does Sergei Stay???

Old
12-13-2007, 09:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Maybe I should have said, Huet's groin. Nonetheless, I could have sworn I read the plan was for Huet to step in Saturday.
They just said on RDS (Renaud Lavoie) that it's Price in nets on Saturday against the Leafs.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Based on Lapierre's play last year when he was called back, if Sergei continues to play that well.....he won't be staying.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
hockey_nut

i'm very happy to read most of these posts... i didn't get to see the game and was really curious to see how s.kost did and based on what you're all saying, i hope he stays!

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
They just said on RDS (Renaud Lavoie) that it's Price in nets on Saturday against the Leafs.
Why throw anyone else in there, hes played them a few times and done well, Huet or Halak are not fresh at this lvl, hes played fairly well his past couple of games.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Why throw anyone else in there, hes played them a few times and done well, Huet or Halak are not fresh at this lvl, hes played fairly well his past couple of games.
I don't think anyone was suggesting anyone else should start. I just said I thought I read Huet would.

Good news, I'd like to see Price vs Toronto and then Huet the game after.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT89 View Post
Oh god ..
Yeah, ditto.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Year 101

yES!!

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
ari1160

hell yeaaaa... he played around 12 min and he was good. and hes really fast toooo.. never saw him play, today was my first time and he rocks

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:21 PM
GoHabsGO252006

I think he should definitely be in the lineup saturday. Judging by tonight's performance he is NHL ready. Good strength, great skating excellent vision, still some things to work on but he is way ahead of ryder in terms of development.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Where was this? I thought Huet was ready.
He should be ready for Sat but Carbo said it'll be Price on Sat

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Slick Nick

He's gona be a good one.

Always well positionned offensively, dosen't fear to cut through the crease... he's definitly going to be a very good NHLer. Needs a little polishing... I'd keep him... no way you can send him down right now if you didn't do it with borderliners.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
sergei kostitsyn was pretty impressive, he created chances, totally looked calm and in his place, i remember him back checking when a defenseman would push up and i didnt see him turn over the puck

the few shifts he had with his big bro was really nice too see, they could pass the puck to each other with their eyes closed. i liked the shift when they played with plekanec, they passed the puck so quickly it was nice to see good offensive creativity for once

i really think he should stick with the club, i mean ryder isnt scoring, so is totally useless, sergei has speed, defensiveness awareness and with a little more nhl experience, should start creating more chances and finally put up some decent points for a rookie

very impressed!!!!

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
hell yeaaaa... he played around 12 min and he was good. and hes really fast toooo.. never saw him play, today was my first time and he rocks
I never was impressed by his speed.. not tonight, not in Hamilton or in the CHL.. not live at the camp. He's got good speed, but not great speed.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
"He's big, well poised. Nice reach. Seems so calm. I could watch this kid for hours." Says the Edmonton Scout, watching Ryder eat nachos from the press box.
Oh man

About Sergei i think he did very well tonight, you can see he read the play well and keep his feets moving in the offensive zone. He's also pretty fast to get to the puck.

He need to get better on the defensive side and im sure he will work on it and the coaches won't expose him. At one point the Flyers were deeply in our zone and he didn't seem to know what to do, they tried 2-3 times to get the puck out of the zone on his side until Higgins got it on the other side. This is normal at this point but im just pointing it out for those that didn't watch the game.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Ryder + Halak Jersey + 2nd for Gagner?
there fixed...although it's a bit over payment on the habs side, lowe diserves a little break...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Doc Hock

right on

guess michael can pack the bags

just a question of where he will land

gonna miss him

hope we get something nice in return

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
seems to be getting settled in...maybe he needed those games...also the team is playing alot better infront of him last 2 games

Old
12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

so do you think the habs did it on purpose to give Sarhei #74...

Carbo :"Give him 74 to show Ryder that he's better but at the same time not quite Markov"
Muller: "So by that toke you think Gui is better than everyone since he has 84?"
Carbo: "no thats how much weight he needed to lose"
Muller to Gui: "you FAT fuk...hit the bike"
Gui: "I hate alfredson"

Old
12-14-2007, 03:56 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Looks like he got one shift, the PP goal against.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...8/GS020455.HTM

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...8/ES020455.HTM

Overall, not bad, 12+ minutes, PP time, 1st line. Can't ask for much more. Hopefully he's earned himself a longer look.
The PK stat is a mistake. If you look at the highlights on NHL.com, you see Lapierre and Streit killing the penalty up front.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 04:34 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Theres probably a handful of GMs that would take a chance on a 30 goal scorer the last two seasons. They might think that a change of scenery might reverse his fortunes. He would be viable asset to trade with I think. Nothing major, but maybe we can garner a first rounder for him.
Ryder made it to the NHL mainly because he had the ability to put the puck in the net...he always could. I don't think he's all of a sudden lost that ability, so I tend to agree with you. I'd pretty much bet the farm he won't be with the Habs next season and wherever he goes, I'd be willing to bet he'll turn into a 30 goal scorer again provided he has the right line mates of course. I really don't think Ryder wants to be in Montreal, despite his protestations of the past to the contrary. Ergo, I think he will be gone by the trade deadline and probably much sooner. Whether he can garner a 1st round pick, I dunno, maybe. As I said in another thread, I really think the Habs could use a decent (not spectacular now) #5 or #6 Dman with some size and toughness. Personally, I'd be happy if Gainey could land a decent #5 or #6 Dman with some size and toughness for Ryder. Dunno who that might be, but there should be a team around somewhere with an available Dman of that calibre who'd be willing to trade him for Ryder. Personally, in the tight trading environment of today's NHL, I think a trade like that for Ryder is probably Gainey's best bet. Maybe some poster with more knowledge of other teams' rosters might have some ideas on who might be a possibility. Anyway, just a thought.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:13 AM
JrHockeyFan

I think that was a good but not great game for Sergei. Trust me folks he can do better, and will once he settles into things.

Throughout Jr the kid played well when he was in the flow of things. He looked a bit out of synch at times but that is going to come. Once he gets the hang of things you will like him better.

The kid does not play nervous at all and that stuck out last night.

He is normally more involved in the play and makes some hits. I think once he starts to feel comfortable, that side of the game will come out.

I like the way he drove to the net and drew that penalty. He is an average skater for sure, but he manages to do things like that to make things happen. He still managed to protect the puck. I think the guy has definitely earned the shot at a longer tryout.

If they are going to use him, he should stick. If they shorten his ice time, I think he needs to play in Hamilton.

Good first game Sergei!

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:22 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I never was impressed by his speed.. not tonight, not in Hamilton or in the CHL.. not live at the camp. He's got good speed, but not great speed.
You are correct. He is not really fast at all. He is an average skater. But he uses the speed he has well and protects the puck.

What he does do well is get on the puck quickly. He has a good jump and gets up to his top speed well.

The name of his game is his play away from the puck to get in position to either take a pass or make a shot. He did that really well in Jr.

The NHL is a big step and he needs to adapt his game some, but the thing I always liked about this kid is that he always seems to be improving some part of his game.

PS: The kid loses his cool sometimes. I hope he keeps it disciplined like last night.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
You are correct. He is not really fast at all. He is an average skater. But he uses the speed he has well and protects the puck.

What he does do well is get on the puck quickly. He has a good jump and gets up to his top speed well.

The name of his game is his play away from the puck to get in position to either take a pass or make a shot. He did that really well in Jr.

The NHL is a big step and he needs to adapt his game some, but the thing I always liked about this kid is that he always seems to be improving some part of his game.

PS: The kid loses his cool sometimes. I hope he keeps it disciplined like last night.

I've seen that a couple of times before when he played in London. His brother's more of a gentlemanly player. Sergei definitely can sometimes blow a fuse on the ice... and off the ice...

Didn't show his mean streak last night but his gritty game should be a plus.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Lambert Closse

One game doesn't make a season or a carrer but S-Kost looked more NHL-ready than Grabovsky. I can see him staying in MTL, move Ryder on a third line with Chipchura and another winger maybe Latendresse where he will feel less pressure.

Lambert Closse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
So the new 2nd line is

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev-Ryder.

Interesting....that might get Ryder going indeed.

You are willing to bump Kovalev????????? Have you been watching the way he has played so far?

He is the most consistant player on the Habs this year.

I am sorry but Ryder is the most useless 30 goal scorer I have ever seen. If he is not scoring he is useless!

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote